Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

On that note, I just want to comment on how brain dead Giant Bomb users are when they announced both a Bayonetta Direct and The New 3DS and posted: "People are so confused, about all of this! Why are you so confusing Nintendo! Stop trying in this clearly a Playstation world!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

What the. You bought a Wii U on launch day and you didn't like the Wii, how did you do this to your brain?

No you misread me, I bought a Wii at launch. I didn't know the Wii U was a console for about a year or so.

axleblaze posted:

Motion controls weren't a failure in the sense that they didn't (initially) do extremely well, but more in the sense that they really failed to catch on and really aren't a thing that is gonna be emphasized by anyone all that much in the future. It's kind of like movies and 3D: it hasn't gone away but it's not the wave of the future that game companies were hoping for.

This is what I meant, thanks for saying it better than I did. Right now the only games on Wii U that use motion plus are the Zelda minigame in Nintendoland, Wii Sports, and Mario and Sonic Olympics. Basic tilt and rotate stuff is still around but the movement towards more fully realized motion controls seems dead for now. It just seemed like a lack of direction on Nintendo's part to have gone all in on motion controls, upped the ante with Motion Plus, and then followed up with a giant rectangle with a screen in the middle. It surely didn't make people think "Alright I don't know what to make of this but sure, I'll buy into this latest trend!"

Anyway I love the Wii U I'm just sharing my opinion on why the giant Wii user base didn't carry over since there was discussion of the poor marketing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nonsense posted:

On that note, I just want to comment on how brain dead Giant Bomb users are when they announced both a Bayonetta Direct and The New 3DS and posted: "People are so confused, about all of this! Why are you so confusing Nintendo! Stop trying in this clearly a Playstation world!"

That's exactly what people post here about names and controllers.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kirios posted:

The Wii was a massive success and anyone who says otherwise is an utter idiot. I mean, wasn't it the most profitable console of all time? You're out of your loving mind to call it anything but Nintendo's greatest success story since the NES, despite the divisive controls of the Wii-mote.

It absolutely was. Calling into quesiton the usability and viability of motion controls for videogames as a whole in no way calls into question the success of the Wii.

Austrian mook posted:

Jesus Christ

Nintendo just got motherfucking STRUCK DOWN
:vince: :thurman: :iceburn: :hellyeah:

Why do you guys always do this? It's so weird. It reminds me of when the iPhone 4 didn't work when you held it, Apple said you were holding it wrong, and Apple fanboys became mongrel dogs when anyone suggested that Apple hosed up.

You are allowed to be critical of a company and still love the company. You aren't going to lose a piece of yourself by admitting that Nintendo isn't the epitome of perfection.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 3, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

It absolutely was. Calling into quesiton the usability and viability of motion controls for videogames as a whole in no way calls into question the success of the Wii.

Why do you guys always do this? It's so weird. It reminds me of when the iPhone 4 didn't work when you held it, Apple said you were holding it wrong, and Apple fanboys became mongrel dogs when anyone suggested that Apple hosed up.

You are allowed to be critical of a company and still love the company. You aren't going to lose a piece of yourself if by admitting that Nintendo isn't the epitome of perfection.

Maybe your big post about the history of motion controls is funny.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elf help book posted:

Maybe your big post about the history of motion controls is funny.

I'm not attacking your precious Nintendo or the Wii U. I love both. So chill with the "go for the throat" reaction to anyone who has the gall to do something other than chant the lords prayer of the church of Nintendo.

Nintendo themselves said from the very beginning of the Wii U that this console was venturing away from the motion controls in favor of a more traditional gaming experience.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fremry posted:

I'm not attacking your precious Nintendo or the Wii U. I love both. So chill with the "go for the throat" reaction to anyone who has the gall to do something other than chant the lords prayer of the church of Nintendo.

Nintendo themselves said from the very beginning of the Wii U that this console was venturing away from the motion controls in favor of a more traditional gaming experience.

Calm down megababy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nonsense posted:

I'll admit it, I'm the guy who was confused about the New 3DS. I thought it was a cosmetic thing like the XL until my brother set me straight that it's got new buttons and such.

The name is a bit confusing in terms of their strategy. Is this the next-gen Nintendo handheld with a "plays old games but all the new ones will need it" sort of thing, or does "some games will require the new hardware" along with the naming method mean it's more like the N64's memory pack, and someone with an old 3DS will still get new games down the pipe?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing with the New 3DS is there's no way to really know how you'll miss out on if you don't upgrade. "Some games won't run on the old 3DS" could mean anything from like half of the big releases or just Xenoblade (which is unlikely but not impossible).

It is a badly named system though and you'd think after the whole problem with the Wii U name that they'd kind of be working extra careful to not do this poo poo again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd really like to say that Nintendo will rename the thing for overseas release. It'll probably be okay for the Japanese market to tack on the fancy English word to the name but it should probably be something like Super 3DS or 3DS+ or whatever ah who am I kidding they'll call it New 3DS here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well we don't know for sure if it will be called New 3DS here. It could be in Japan using the English word "New" in front of something is a much larger signifier of differentiation. Maybe they'll call it the 3DS Advance here. Or something I didn't think up in two seconds.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

They named the third 3ds the 3ds One.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bruceski posted:

I'll admit it, I'm the guy who was confused about the New 3DS. I thought it was a cosmetic thing like the XL until my brother set me straight that it's got new buttons and such.

The name is a bit confusing in terms of their strategy. Is this the next-gen Nintendo handheld with a "plays old games but all the new ones will need it" sort of thing, or does "some games will require the new hardware" along with the naming method mean it's more like the N64's memory pack, and someone with an old 3DS will still get new games down the pipe?

Think Game Boy Color. It played all the original GB games and some had a few enhancements for it. But some games required it, not only for the color bit because it was a bit more powerful.

Like, Pokemon Gold/Silver would run on any Game Boy but had colors on a GBC, but the third one in that gen (Crystal, I think) required GBC for a few things they added.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

It is a badly named system though and you'd think after the whole problem with the Wii U name that they'd kind of be working extra careful to not do this poo poo again.

This is part of the reason I'm thinking that NoA and NoE are basically translation and marketing branches of NoJ. Their input during the naming process is basically nil, so whatever NoJ decides is what everyone is gonna go with, regardless of how bad a name it is.

I mean, I'm hopeful that isn't the case and we'll get Super 3DS, because seriously it doesn't take a marketing genius to realize that naming a new system "New" is ridiculously confusing for everyone who isn't watching untranslated Japanese streams to find out what it is, but so far it doesn't look like that will be the case.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

You are allowed to be critical of a company and still love the company. You aren't going to lose a piece of yourself by admitting that Nintendo isn't the epitome of perfection.

"Man, that guy made fun of me for posting almost 2 pages worth of text about the Wii that was insanely boring, I'd best continue posting more stuff nobody is going to read"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I would... hold some minor hope. The thing is, the English language twitter feeds for Nintendo didn't even bring up the New 3DS (XL), which whilst one might say they're just saving up for a bigger announcement for english markets, it might also be because there isn't a final decision on what the name for english markets should be.

Though yeah, wouldn't be surprised if they just decided to stick with it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
My experience with the Wii and the Wii U were pretty separate.

The Wii was so good that I wanted to build a church to dress up for and go talk about it once a week with people in person. We would eat snacks and praise Nintendo for it's valuable contribution to all of our lives, perhaps even plan a trip to Nintendo headquarters.

The Wii U is fantastic and I feel like I love it, but they haven't done anything too revolutionary this time around. They stepped away from their innovative risky position on game development to introduce better graphics (which looking back now was needed actually) and a more classic control scheme. I like the giant tablet controller, it turns out I like using it to play games from different positions or to carry youtube outside with me while I have a cigarette or a movie is playing.

I even re-bought two wii plus remotes and nunchucks, because I miss motion controls.

It's practically like the two systems are made by different companies. The Wii U has more similarities to the Gamecube or Super Nintendo than it does the Wii, Wii stands on its own.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why would they advertise a product that won't even exist here for another 6 months? You people need to get over this name poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

Why would they advertise a product that won't even exist here for another 6 months? You people need to get over this name poo poo.

I don't even know what you mean by this. Why wouldn't they start building hype for it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I don't even know what you mean by this. Why wouldn't they start building hype for it?
Because they're still selling its predecessor and its almost Christmas? Are you retarded?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The Wii has a lot of fun games, and the Wii U has some fun games with more on the way. :)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

Because they're still selling its predecessor and its almost Christmas? Are you retarded?

Yeah, it was dumb for them to have a delay between releases and now have this huge gap where there's no real reason not to wait but the word is out there and getting a bunch of people to get a console right before you release the better version of it isn't likely to make them all that happy.

In general, are you acting like they haven't made a name for western release because they're trying to pretend to the west that it doesn't exist yet? Because that's not really how this works. You can't just sort of announce you're coming out with an upgraded console and keep it on the dl for the people that won't get it until later. If that's their strategy it seems like a very poor one that has no understanding of pretty much anything.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Didn't Nintendo of America actively dismiss the existence of one of those Pokemon enhanced updates even after it came out in Japan?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

axleblaze posted:

You can't just sort of announce you're coming out with an upgraded console and keep it on the dl for the people that won't get it until later. If that's their strategy it seems like a very poor one that has no understanding of pretty much anything.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD

well you can, in this case it ended in ruins

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The Wii has a lot of fun games, and the Wii U has some fun games with more on the way. :)

Yeah but how Core are those games this is important

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fremry posted:

Why do you guys always do this? It's so weird.

Its a discussion thats been had 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times in this thread but people keep bringing it up as though its a big revelation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's a thread for talking about Nintendo's financial past/future and yes you will get made fun of for posting seriously in it. Those are the breaks.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gutcruncher posted:

We're gonna need a rubric to objectively determine the core qualities of these video games so that the gamers of Gametopia don't accidentally play Angry Birds.

geshp
Jun 20, 2004

my cufflinks fell in the snow and I can't be bothered to pick them up

Silver Striker posted:

They named the third 3ds the 3ds One.

Should have just went with the more descriptive 3DS U

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

I do extreme workouts to improve my gamer core. First, it's thirty reps of Call of Duty...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of people saying the Wii had no games and didn't use motion controls well enough, you should try out Sin & Punishment: Star Successor if you haven't already. I still see copies of that lying around in Walmarts.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 3, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Only big dumb stupid idiots didnt buy that game. Everyones a big dumb stupid idiot

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's a thread for talking about Nintendo's financial past/future and yes you will get made fun of for posting seriously in it. Those are the breaks.

My post had nothing to do with their financial past or future, and was about motion controls. Someone else said it was their most successful console, which I agreed to and went back to talking about motion controls. There has been a decided shift away from motion controls as the primary means of control, which Nintendo was the first to do. That's all I said, and people taking it as a financial thing or a slight at Nintendo read way more into what I posted than what was actually said.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Motto posted:

Speaking of people saying the Wii had no games and didn't use motion controls well enough, you should try out Sin & Punishment: Star Successor if you haven't already. I still see copies of that lying around in Walmarts.

Yes but its still $50 at Walmarts. Its like $5 everywhere else.

I got a copy when it came out because I was worried it'd be scarce. Now I have both S&P games and I've only played each once. :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey, I'm basically new to Zelda and want to play the best/newest one on wii-u. Is that skyward sword or wind waker? Thanks guys

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Skyward Sword is the newest but Wind Waker is objectively "better".

Make your decision based on your love of motion controls. If you think they're the bee's knees, then go with Skyward Sword and waggle your heart out. The sword fighting's really fun when it works (which is never when you need to jab).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

VelociBacon posted:

Hey, I'm basically new to Zelda and want to play the best/newest one on wii-u. Is that skyward sword or wind waker? Thanks guys

Wind Waker is the best but it's a GameCube remake.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I also love the remote/nunchuck for non-motion controls because of how lazy it allows me to be. You shouldve seen my standard Xenoblade position, so comfy.

From a page ago, but this is 100% correct. I never get the complaints about Wiimote + Nunchuck, since being able to lounge your arms in any position while playing is awesome.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

Wind Waker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Is Link to the Past on the eshop? Play that.

• Locked thread