Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

The mace is literally the best weapon for most of the vanilla game. It's strike, you get it very early or start with it, and it has the perfect poise damage to handle most enemies that are vulnerable to poise.

It also has really poor reach, making it awful for crowds or even certain single enemies. I find the Mace much tougher to use than something like a curved sword or straight sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
How specific does the game get with weapon hitboxes? Or is there really just a couple parameters to it. Length, width, simple stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why does everyone prefer the mace over the morningstar by the way? Just because you get it first?

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Where do you think the best places to take fashion souls screenshots are?
Nice vistas and good lighting and all of that.
I really like the area right before/after the guardian dragon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Why does everyone prefer the mace over the morningstar by the way? Just because you get it first?

It's better. More damage, lower stat requirements, and you can buff it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Figured. I just used the morningstar on my first character because it looked cooler. :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

You can't upgrade the morningstar? What do you mean by "and you can buff it".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

You can't upgrade the morningstar? What do you mean by "and you can buff it".

I never said you can't upgrade it. You can't buff the Morning Star with resins.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh ok, not up w/the lingo. That kind of sucks. I've noticed the same thing with the heide spear, is it because they both already have auxiliary effects?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Nevvy Z posted:

How much online presence is there at this point? I am assuming DS1 is pretty dead online so I haven't picked it up. I'm waiting for a sale on this one and I hope by the time I pick it up there will still be people to pvp.

I am playing through Dark Souls 1 again. I got to the Undead Parish right before belfry gargoyles and thought "I'll go human, I'll summon Solaire for this fight." and then I walked over no less than 10 summoning signs on the way to gargoyles. DS1 still has a thriving online community.

Also I've been invaded probably 10 times, and I just got the lordvessel. There's been summoning signs and activity in almost every area. I was genuinely shocked at the online presence.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh ok, not up w/the lingo. That kind of sucks. I've noticed the same thing with the heide spear, is it because they both already have auxiliary effects?

Yeah, the morningstar deals bleed damage. But it's a minor amount so it's just a shittier weapon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yes and no. Some weapons with auxiliary damage allow for resins (such as the Crescent Axe), others do not (such as the Morning Star).

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

It's entirely arbitrary and no one really knows why!

except vague ideas about "balance" but wtf is that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Yes and no. Some weapons with auxiliary damage allow for resins (such as the Crescent Axe), others do not (such as the Morning Star).

How is the crescent axe in this game anyway? I remember hearing it was pretty good in DS1 but I never used it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RBA Starblade posted:

How is the crescent axe in this game anyway? I remember hearing it was pretty good in DS1 but I never used it.
One senses that this axe was once imbued with a sacred power, but only traces of it remain.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It is dogshit.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Never noticed that when you kill a human host they turn hollow as they die. :stare:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The short crescent axe, on the other hand, is amazing

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

It a different weapon entirely

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crown of the Old Iron King + Fume Sorcerer Robes + Agdayne's Cuffs + Desert Sorcress Skirt

This character exists mainly to harass NGers with pyromancy

e: Pyromancer Isabel, if any of you have seen her

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 4, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crescent Axe is very good, although a bit more difficult to use as you need to hit with its sweet spot (the head) for good damage. It has great range which works well with its moveset, has the halberd spin2win running attack, and decent damage on a quality build. Don't bother trying it on an Int build, the magic damage is poor even when made Magic. Buff with aromatic Ooze to take advantage of its natural magic damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Crescent Axe is very good, although a bit more difficult to use as you need to hit with its sweet spot (the head) for good damage. It has great range which works well with its moveset, has the halberd spin2win running attack, and decent damage on a quality build. Don't bother trying it on an Int build, the magic damage is poor even when made Magic. Buff with aromatic Ooze to take advantage of its natural magic damage.

I've got 35 str/35 int. I'll buff it up and leave it normal then (though I'm about out of twinkling titanite and I kind of don't want to use CE). The halberd and greatswords are getting stale so more variety would be better.

quote:

The short crescent axe, on the other hand, is amazing

The Dragonslayer Crescent Axe?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy crap the fight with sinh was intense!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Never noticed that when you kill a human host they turn hollow as they die. :stare:

Same thing happens to you when you die as a human.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
GandalfTheBuff :black101:

This is what would have happened if Gandalf took the ring when Frodo offered, and then invited him to kiss it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The Dragonslayer Crescent Axe?

Yeah. It's pretty short-ranged, but it hits pretty hard and fast.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Chollane's dress bugs me. She's a miner. She sells rocks. Why is she wearing a ball gown. :psyduck:

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

All I know of Dark Souls mining is that it involves murdering lizards, so I'm not qualified to judge her choice of clothing for the job.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tetracube posted:

Crown of the Old Iron King + Fume Sorcerer Robes + Agdayne's Cuffs + Desert Sorcress Skirt

This character exists mainly to harass NGers with pyromancy

e: Pyromancer Isabel, if any of you have seen her

Pretty sure I came across you in the No Man's Wharf while leveling up my Predator cosplay. I thought you were some NPC invader I had forgotten about at first because you had a long rear end name. Also I rekt you really hard

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 4, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

Chollane's dress bugs me. She's a miner. She sells rocks. Why is she wearing a ball gown. :psyduck:

She's literally a retard.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I think this will be my next build. Every one I've made so far has had dogshit max stamina and regen, meaning I've had to rely on thrown items to try to regain stamina parity. Will be nice to control the flow of battle for once. No clear blue means the spells won't be coming out often, though. If I run into someone with lots of fire resist, I have the option of swapping both main weapons and the last two rings for a RoB/Flynn setup, I suppose, though it won't be as good as could be with the relative lack of str/dex.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Batigh posted:

I think this will be my next build. Every one I've made so far has had dogshit max stamina and regen, meaning I've had to rely on thrown items to try to regain stamina parity. Will be nice to control the flow of battle for once. No clear blue means the spells won't be coming out often, though. If I run into someone with lots of fire resist, I have the option of swapping both main weapons and the last two rings for a RoB/Flynn setup, I suppose, though it won't be as good as could be with the relative lack of str/dex.

All this theorycrafting is nice and all but you're still going to get lagstabbed by someone who lives in Siberia

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

F...fashion souls?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Minorkos posted:

All this theorycrafting is nice and all but you're still going to get lagstabbed by someone who lives in Siberia

15 iframes should mitigate this somewhat, but you're totally right :suicide:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Batigh posted:

It's named "mystery dad" but no Pharros mask? :getout:

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Genocyber posted:

It's named "mystery dad" but no Pharros mask? :getout:

The character I'm going to do this on is named MYSTERY DAD and has been so named since before the DLC was announced :getin:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've had some coop today with incredibly laggy hosts, where bosses would just stop moving for 5-10 seconds or casually float about the room, wildly animating in random directions at noone in particular. At least the game seems to count the damage dealt by players but not the enemies' when re-synching (or maybe i just got lucky), so it was more surreal and hilarious instead of frustrating.

At some point the host and the boss just kinda froze, so me and the other phantom just traded taunts for half a minute before the connection timed out. :allears:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can I ask a "can I run this" thing?

I have all the maximum requirements, but my CPU is "i7-4500u @ 1.8GHZ (4 CPUs) ~2.4 Ghz" so says dxdiag. I'm pretty new to PC gaming, but SystemRequirementsLab is giving me a no-go on this. Can I not run this at all? Settings too low to bother?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 4, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's your GPU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Batigh posted:

That character planner is pretty badly in need of an update, actually - at the very least, its agility calculations are completely off. If you want 5 attunement slots and 115 agility, you'll probably want to go 26 att/77adp (or 25/78). I actually got annoyed by the lack of a good calculator for this, even the mugenmonkey planner gets it wrong, so I made a quick spreadsheet.

Agility Breakpoints

Key: Top row is attunement, column is adaptability. Green attunement columns are where you get another spell slot, yellow columns are where you get bonus casts. (The two darker yellow columns are the ones where you get a +cast to a spell that is normally single use, eg WoG.) The agility breakpoints where you get new invincibility frames are highlighted in green. The darker green cells are just as fine as the bright greens, but also have an optional configuration where you take one point out of adaptability and put it in attunement instead. I would pretty much always prefer to do that as it might increase my cast speed. In either case, the same number of soul levels are required.

In short, gently caress no you're not getting 115 agility at SL 150.