Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zealot4223 posted:

I think the voice matching will most definitely rub people the wrong way..but it makes sense. Some of the original voices and the way they looked were downright horrible. Astor in particular. Dawes too. Mister Holdout, etc.

no, it really doesn't make sense. Making a character look better is fine, making them fit their character is fine. Making them look like their VA is asinine. What do you do with VA reuse? Fallout 3 Gary clones all the way down? Everyone in every game ever looks like Steve Blum, Nolan North, and Jennifer Hale? No.

it makes no sense on any level if you apply one iota of thought to it. The NVR guy didn't, and that's a definite red flag.

the VA's physical appearance != the character, it's that simple and that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

Why did FCO/Redesigned 3 turn everybody into a casper?

Toggle archive invalidation.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

chitoryu12 posted:

Does quintuple posting unlock an achievement?

Yes. Congratulations on your new avatar!

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014

Psion posted:

no, it really doesn't make sense. Making a character look better is fine, making them fit their character is fine. Making them look like their VA is asinine. What do you do with VA reuse? Fallout 3 Gary clones all the way down? Everyone in every game ever looks like Steve Blum, Nolan North, and Jennifer Hale? No.

it makes no sense on any level if you apply one iota of thought to it. The NVR guy didn't, and that's a definite red flag.

the VA's physical appearance != the character, it's that simple and that stupid.

So he doesn't make them match the voice actor (as in making them physically look like the voice actor). He just makes generalized designs based on the voices. So if a guy "sounds" black, ie. Tyrone or Mister Holdout he makes them black. And if he sounds white, i.e Astor, Dawes (voiced by Jesse Burch and Ari Rubin (both white guys)) he makes them white. So he isn't making them look like the character itself but he changes the face to match the voice. Now...that being said, the mod is being stereotypical because it's assuming that all white people sound like x and all black people sound like y. but I have to admit that if I never played the game, the voices fit better the other way around. As an example, Astor and Dawes were horribly mismatched.

Here's a video showing the voice stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYlWv1IUrBU

@Mr.Crow

Thanks!

Zealot4223 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 3, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zealot4223 posted:

So he doesn't make them match the voice actor (as in making them physically look like the voice actor). He just makes generalized designs based on the voices. So if a guy "sounds" black, ie. Tyrone or Mister Holdout he makes them black. And if he sounds white, i.e Astor, Dawes (voiced by Jesse Burch and Ari Rubin (both white guys)) he makes them white. So he isn't making them look like the character itself but he changes the face to match the voice. Now...that being said, the mod is being stereotypical because it's assuming that all white people sound like x and all black people sound like y. but I have to admit that if I never played the game, the voices fit better the other way around. Mister holdout and Don Hostelter were pretty f-ing horribly mismatched.

@Mr.Crow

Thanks!

I personally think saying 'being stereotypical' is sugar coating 'that's pretty loving racist', but regardless of that it is honestly the most asinine change one could possibly make second only to carefully rendering the word 'SLUT' on every other dead woman.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zealot4223 posted:

this is loving terrible on so many levels

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

I personally think saying 'being stereotypical' is sugar coating 'that's pretty loving racist',

yeah seriously. I'm sorry, in what world is someone saying, straight-faced, "well he sounds black so I made him black" not racist as gently caress?

Zealot4223 posted:

So he doesn't make them match the voice actor (as in making them physically look like the voice actor).

this is also demonstrably untrue as several of his own images posted on his own mod page have setups like [original NV face] [NVR 3 face] [ VA's face] all stacked up next to one another. There's also dumb poo poo like "this guy doesn't sound sleazy but he's supposed to be sleazy so I made him look like a pedophile" which is almost verbatim from one of the NVR3 changes.

vvv: listing Gamebryo engine problems with the Asian and African-American presets and blaming Obsidian is pretty funny there dude

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 3, 2014

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I personally think saying 'being stereotypical' is sugar coating 'that's pretty loving racist', but regardless of that it is honestly the most asinine change one could possibly make second only to carefully rendering the word 'SLUT' on every other dead woman.

I agree. But Obsidian isn't off the hook either. They could have chosen better voice actors or at least tried to make people match. The Asian people in New Vegas and Fallout 3..don't look Asian..as an example and it's impossible to make a decent looking African American person since they just darken the hues. On a side note, the "SLUT" design was only on one dead woman(killed by a psycho, Clanden). Although to come up with the twisted design.....requires someone to think of the idea...

Zealot4223 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 3, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014

Hmmm...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zealot4223 posted:

They could have chosen better voice actors or at least tried to make people match.
:biotruths:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Zealot4223 posted:

I agree. But Obsidian isn't off the hook either. They could have chosen better voice actors or at least tried to make people match. The Asian people in New Vegas and Fallout 3..don't look Asian..as an example and it's impossible to make a decent looking African American person since they just darken the hues. On a side note, the "SLUT" design was only on one dead woman(Clanden's victim). Although to come up with the twisted design.....requires someone to think of the idea...
Obsidian wasn't involved with FO3, son, and NV just uses FO3's engine with a couple tiny tweaks. Blame Bethesda for making it difficult to make someone who was convincingly non-white.

Also saying someone's voice should "match" their race is hilariously stupid when race doesn't actually define voice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I look to Johnson Nash when I am explaining how god-awful Gamebryo faces are. The dude is supposed to be black but because of Gamebryo he is this awful orangey yellowy not-at-all-a-skin-color, color. I mean, comparatively Ruby Nash just looks like an old black person for the most part.

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Obsidian wasn't involved with FO3, son, and NV just uses FO3's engine with a couple tiny tweaks. Blame Bethesda for making it difficult to make someone who was convincingly non-white.

Also saying someone's voice should "match" their race is hilariously stupid when race doesn't actually define voice.

I agree. My mistake on that. I thought it was Obsidian and not Bethesda. (slaps forehead).

but at what point does a game just have bad and lazy voice acting....

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, what was the voice director thinking, they should have insisted every white voice be done nasally and tweedy and every black voice to be deep and husky to appease your weird hang up.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I didn't know what race any voice actors were but now that I do it's too much for my crippling mental illnesses to cope with so thanks for this mod to correct these oversights.

P.S. now I know which corpses are sluts and which aren't. This pleases my immersion greatly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It breaks my immersion whenever I see a white man with a deep voice because it makes me get angry at Obsidian for not realizing that he should not be white but should, in fact, be black, because only black men have deep voices. Of all the things in Obsidian's titles, this is my biggest problem. I'm hoping that they've finally learned from this mistake in Project Eternity, and I can finally enjoy one of their games without having my immersion completely and utterly destroyed by this recurring game-breaking issue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, Zealot, are you a modder who paid :10bux: to make a sock puppet to defend your mods, or the parachute account of a goon modder who was already here?

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014
Ok, I get the sarcasm lol. But yeah, there are just some titles with really great voice acting, ie. Bioshock, System Shock 2, Last of Us, Walking Dead, Arkham City, Portal, etc and those actually feel like time was spent on them. And then there's New Vegas.

Some voice actors would maybe have about one or two characters they would voice. While others would voice a lot of characters.

Zealot4223 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 4, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

The Colonel posted:

It breaks my immersion whenever I see a white man with a deep voice because it makes me get angry at Obsidian for not realizing that he should not be white but should, in fact, be black, because only black men have deep voices. Of all the things in Obsidian's titles, this is my biggest problem. I'm hoping that they've finally learned from this mistake in Project Eternity, and I can finally enjoy one of their games without having my immersion completely and utterly destroyed by this recurring game-breaking issue.

Maybe they are just Rick Astley.

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014
I suddenly just remembered Dave Chapelle's Killing em Softly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ASPUkkHMs

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
poo poo, the script for Dumb and Dumber 3 is in this last page alone. I almost feel like I'm reading spoilers here.

Also, glad another one is on Team Rudy. IMO it's the best one out there right now but who knows, maybe Camo can fix up Onix so it's not so goddamned bright.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zealot4223 posted:

Ok, I get the sarcasm lol. But yeah, there are just some titles with really great voice acting, ie. Bioshock, System Shock 2, Last of Us, Walking Dead, Arkham City, Portal, etc and those actually feel like time was spent on them. And then there's New Vegas.

We're not being sarcastic. Bad voice acting is completely and utterly different from NVR3's mod choices.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, while there were times in New Vegas where I thought "wow, that delivery lacked any sort of emotion whatsoever, that line needed another take" I can't say there were any times I thought "man, this black guy sounds way too white, someone should make a mod and fix him".

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

HORMELCHILI posted:

By the way, if you use an ENB with this game at all, just get Rudy's. It has to be the best one out there right now, I can't believe how nice the game looks with it installed.

Rudy's is pretty nice looking, but it also radically alters the game's color palette while both making the game even less saturated than it already was. I use a combination of Enhanced Shaders Neutral with Rudy's enbeffectprepass.ini, SweetFX handling SMAA, and Imaginator/Dynavision covering color/other visual adjustments. :downs:

I'd also say that MMUE isn't really anywhere near as bad as a lot of people are implying. Sure, I guess there are some questionable changes in there...somewhere, but nearly everything it changes is just spergy item weight/name/stat stuff.

Granted, I'm totally insane and am also playing with most of Moburma's mods and JSawyer, and even went to the effort of opening scripts and poo poo up in FNVEdit and the GECK to make sure everything worked the way I wanted it to so...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody using Rudy ENB with Nevada Skies?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I look to Johnson Nash when I am explaining how god-awful Gamebryo faces are. The dude is supposed to be black but because of Gamebryo he is this awful orangey yellowy not-at-all-a-skin-color, color. I mean, comparatively Ruby Nash just looks like an old black person for the most part.
I thought they made a sunburnt Native American and succeeded by using the African American template. Which would have been really neat.

Zealot4223 posted:

Did you get really angry when Hsu didn't have a stereotypical chinese accent

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SplitSoul posted:

Anybody using Rudy ENB with Nevada Skies?

It doesn't play nice out of the box because Rudy has its own weather settings, but I never could get it to work right. I ended up getting rid of Nevada Skies over it which I don't think I like that much anyways. The various storms just end up being a pain.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Berke Negri posted:

It doesn't play nice out of the box because Rudy has its own weather settings, but I never could get it to work right. I ended up getting rid of Nevada Skies over it which I don't think I like that much anyways. The various storms just end up being a pain.

It really is sad that the NSkies author is too much of a giant russian sperg-baby to just release a "More Different Kinds of Cloud Cover Only" version of the mod.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I thought they made a sunburnt Native American and succeeded by using the African American template. Which would have been really neat.

Did you get really angry when Hsu didn't have a stereotypical chinese accent

In a mod I'm working on you can pick pocket his holotape-journal where he laments having to disguise his accent and real name, Ching-chong Ding-dong.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The only time I thought that the game wasn't quite matching up right was with that guy who got second place in the lottery and got his legs smashed up. His legs were fine! If you attack him he just gets up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The only time I thought that the game wasn't quite matching up right was with that guy who got second place in the lottery and got his legs smashed up. His legs were fine! If you attack him he just gets up.
There's a script that damages his legs. So when he walks, he should slowly limp around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Boxcars' legs are apparently supposed to be crippled upon you entering the place he's in for the first time (as in, the game is supposed to cripple his legs when he's spawned in which is kinda funny to imagine) but because of a scripting error it doesn't happen. Realistically though the only way you can get Boxcars to aggro on you is to attack him first so maybe they just didn't notice or figured it wasn't worth fixing.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

CJacobs posted:

Realistically though the only way you can get Boxcars to aggro on you is to attack him first so maybe they just didn't notice or figured it wasn't worth fixing.

They obviously had never met a Fallout player before.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Raygereio posted:

There's a script that damages his legs. So when he walks, he should slowly limp around.
It did work on release, but the patch after that he spawned halfway through the ground (don't ask why) so the script was disabled

YUP works around this by having the script activate 2 seconds after entering the cell with Boxcars in it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
He's a Powder Ganger who obviously thinks being a Powder Ganger is the poo poo, and if his legs were fine he'd be out murderin' folks. Honestly if you're a good guy, there's a solid case for killing Boxcars. And he's a drug addict.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
I recently reinstalled, and modded it up, and the only thing I can conclusively say is NVAC is loving voodoo magic. 10 plus hours, including a 4 and a half hour session and no crashes. Its just creepy.

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014
So one of the refugees (the one with Cherry's haircut) in Bittersprings limps when she walks and there's a script. I think you can just apply that to Boxcars' script.

SCN VBSRefugeeSCRIPT

short CrippleRandomizer
short bIsCrippled

BEGIN OnLoad
if bIsCrippled == 0
set CrippleRandomizer to GetRandomPercent
if CrippleRandomizer <= 25
SetActorValue LeftMobilityCondition 0
set bIsCrippled to 1
elseif CrippleRandomizer > 25 && CrippleRandomizer <=50
SetActorValue RightMobilityCondition 0
set bIsCrippled to 1
endif
endif

END

Zealot4223 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 5, 2014

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

New tricks learned on this most recent modding run of New Vegas (how i learned to love the bomb):

EssArrBee has a very well-written STEP guide for New Vegas. It's an excellent tutorial on using Mod Organizer with FNV, using a couple of MO features to achieve a very modular installation.

Fallout Mod Manager - FOMM - Fork is an updated FOMM that can be launched from within Mod Organizer. EssArrBee's guide covers this. (Though even the older FOMM works with MO. It's just NMM that won't on 64-bit systems because they won't release a 32-bit installer, asked though I have.)

Mod Organizer gained a "Create Mod from the Overwrite folder" feature at some point that works very well with running FOMM from inside MO. For instance, install OneHUD using FOMM launched from within MO and all of its files will go into the Overwrite folder. Now right click Overwrite and create a mod named "OneHud" and you get just that - an MO mod that contains OneHud installed via FOMM that can be disabled/uninstalled and otherwise managed just like any other MO mod. This also empties the Overwrite folder so it doesn't become a mashup for all the FOMM-installed stuff. See the Overwrite section of the STEP guide to MO for more on this.

STEP has an excellent Mod Organizer guide that shows, among other things, how to use MO to organize and store mod-specific ini tweaks (scroll down to the INI-Files section). I took their suggestion and created a mod (just one right click on an empty Overwrite) to track ini edits. Give each ini edit a descriptive name ("DarnUI font changes"), cut and paster the ini changes, and it is now a checkbox that you can enable/disable with a click as needed. Alternatively, add these edits to each mod so they're automatically disabled if the mod is disabled (DarnUI is a good example). Simpler than even Wrye Bash's built-in ini edit manager.

EssArrBee's guide has a lot of useful little detail I hadn't seen before and is written well, recommended even if you're a jaded FNV modder.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 5, 2014

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014
Wow, STEP for New Vegas. I thought he only did Skyrim. I really liked STEP as it has a pretty good eye for detail. Especially considering the sheer amount of mods can be daunting and time-consuming to search through.

Gopher's stuff is really helpful too. Especially his chapter on Performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plWow9dGI70

Zealot4223 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Until recently I was using a particular ENB because it was made for Project Reality and also actually worked with night-vision. I like what Project Reality does to change existing weather types, but I think I've gotten a bit sick of its implementation problems and since I end up switching off most of its features, I figured it was time for a change. I'd had enough of that ENB too (sorry, lost track of which one it was); it looked okay in exteriors, but had problems with virtually all interiors - and again, I always ended up disabling most of its features.

I was tempted to try Rudy after seeing it recommended here - and I still might sometime - but for now it looks a bit too blue-tinted and vaseline-lensed for me. I tried Realism ENB instead and I'm quite liking it! I've even left the depth-of-field effects on. Normally I've avoided those, thinking they'd just be annoying while actually playing the game, but with this one at least I only ever see the effect if I'm trying to.

I think I succumbed to the novelty a bit, in fact:

(I love having my character's body actually exist in first-person.)

I'm really liking the AKs and AR15s Weapons Pack too - that's what All-American looks like with it. I did end up tweaking it a fair bit though, and I'll tweak it a hell of a lot more if I use it again.

OMG DOF

Anyway I'd recommend that ENB, though not without reservation. Like a lot of ENBs, night-vision just doesn't work with it, and the author's solution to that was to simply make all interior ambient lighting really bright. So I found I had to tweak that. Fortunately, Enhanced ENB Night Vision plugs into it just fine. Well, mostly fine; Realism ENB hasn't been updated to use the most recent version of ENB, so the in-game configuration thing for enhanced ENB night-vision doesn't work with it. I edited it a little by hand instead.

Braking Gnus posted:

I recently reinstalled, and modded it up, and the only thing I can conclusively say is NVAC is loving voodoo magic. 10 plus hours, including a 4 and a half hour session and no crashes. Its just creepy.

On my current heavily-modded playthrough I recently hit level 30 after a large chunk of the main quest, a bunch of sidequests, and both Dead Money and Honest Hearts; not a single crash so far. NVAC is pretty drat amazing. I mean FNV has always been much more stable for me than FO3, but nothing like this.

Zealot4223 posted:

So one of the refugees (the one with Cherry's haircut) in Bittersprings limps when she walks and there's a script. I think you can just apply that to Boxcars' script.

[Snip - there was a script here.]

At a glance it looks like that script only gives a 50-50 chance to cripple one of the character's legs. It could probably be simplified to something like:

code:
SCN NameOfSCRIPT

short bIsCrippled

BEGIN OnLoad

if bIsCrippled == 0
SetActorValue LeftMobilityCondition 0
SetActorValue RightMobilityCondition 0
set bIsCrippled to 1
endif

END
I don't know what the actual script is for Boxcars; can't be bothered to check. :v: