Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Just saw the giantbomb pax panel I liked how patrick got openly jeered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I gave death threats to ice frog because that guy keeps buffing faceless void. That's why the techie patch is taking so long, because I made him move from home and hide in a sewer like a filthy animal.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Phil Niekro posted:

remember when one of the weird twitter group implied he would stab a 10 year old on behalf of a twitter girl because the 10 year old quoted Carlin

yes, i remember when the girl had no idea who he was as well.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Rad Tad posted:

martin luther king's quest jr

good weird twitter/sjw username.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

DrPlump posted:

Female gamers are a huge problem for gamer culture. Previously there was no pussy at all and everyone as a group accepted no one was getting laid. You made your decision the video games are here and the girls are not. No one expected these men to get laid and everyone agreed it was entirely their fault for remaining in an area with no girls.

Then something happened with Obama crashing the economy which reduced supply of normal men. Some women turned to gamers hoping for quantity over quality. Suddenly there is pussy in the place where the video games are but there is not enough for everyone. This created a prisoners dilemma over the pussy supply. The same phenomenon is responsible for wars and most other acts of violence and that is when the pussy supply is mostly 1 to 1.

Being gamer nerds they courted the ladies in the fashion they know best. They validated them in every way they could and catered to their every whim. Eventually this created a situation in which every female gamer had their every wish fulfilled and their every thought and action amplified.

Normal women would be instantly turned off by such desperate attempts for their pussy. Many resorted to hiding themselves through anonymity to avoid the constant sexual assault. However the crazy and ugly girls are not used to being sought after and validated. This is a new experience for them but in the worst possible way. It becomes addicting like a drug and due to the disproportionate cock to pussy ratio it is like a 24/7 fire hose.

No one person deserves that much power. It would corrupt anyone. I don't blame Zoe. I blame the thirsty rear end betas.

This presented as the opening scroll from star wars

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Just a bit of irony in the latest Guardian article.

The Guardian posted:

And ultimately, those members of the gaming community who distrust the games press, have a really wonderful option: make the alternative. Instead of constructing strange conspiracy theories and flooding games sites with vitriolic comments, withdraw entirely. Make your own game sites. It has never been easier – or more viable. Because however much you mistrust them, the big gaming sites serve the needs of millions of gamers who don’t worry about the relationships between the press and the publishers – who just want approachable reviews, cool videos and funny list features; that’s their choice. They can’t be denied or derided either. So the best, most positive option, is to create something else.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/03/gamergate-corruption-games-anita-sarkeesian-zoe-quinn

Change the words a bit and:

quote:

And ultimately, those members of the gaming community who distrust the game devs, have a really wonderful option: make the alternative. Instead of constructing strange conspiracy theories and flooding games sites and twitter with vitriolic comments about misogyny and feminism, withdraw entirely. Make your own games. It has never been easier – or more viable. Because however much you mistrust devs, the big studios serve the needs of millions of gamers who don’t worry about boob size or lack of female characters – who just want fun games, cool stories and interesting mechanics; that’s their choice. They can’t be denied or derided either. So the best, most positive option, is to create something else.

:ironicat:

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
If any game sites pop-up that have a strict "no politics" policy I'll definitely check it out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yesterday, I got sucked down the rabbit hole of watching anti-Sarkeesian YouTube videos. Many of the arguments against her are laughably ironic, but one in particular stood out to me as not ironic, but just sad. In the video, Anita was accused of shutting down the conversation because she has turned off the comments, ratings, and statistics on her YouTube channel. I can’t really say I blame her. I won’t link the video; you can Google it. But, I will say this accusation was made a year ago. Even though Anita Sarkeesian finds herself once again in the middle of the poo poo storm, the harassment of her has been going on for years. That’s sad and terrifying. (If you haven’t heard of the latest situation, the last couple of posts on this blog cover it with some detail.)

Due to personal stuff over the last month and the latest situation with Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, my own anxieties about taking about anything feminist have reached a level of code red. Thankfully, I have never had death or rape threats, but, I often find myself in situations like the one I wrote about a few weeks ago in which the rhetoric reaches incredibly low levels with accusations like “ugly whore.” The anxiety and fear of a situation turning ugly can make it pretty hard to carry on.

Last night, we were talking about the somewhat bizarre insult of Social Justice Warrior. I’m no warrior, but the “insult” makes me feel anything but disempowered (as I suppose it’s meant to make me feel). During this conversation, my anxiety levels were going down. I can get on board with being a Social Justice Warrior. That’s what this is all about, right? Social Justice. But, then I got an unexpected text from an old and dear friend that read, “I’ve been FB stalking you today. What’s up with the feminism posts?” And, with that I sort of froze again. Like I said, I’m not a warrior, and I’m becoming increasingly anxious about engaging in a situation with someone that could end with some variation of “ugly whore.” I almost didn’t answer him, then I realized I was being somewhat ridiculous (or maybe cowardly is the better word). This particular person is an old and dear friend because he’s an awesome person. So, I told him some of the stuff that was going on, and I pointed him to this blog. It was a productive conversation.

Many factors have led to this sense of anxiety I now feel. But, I’ve been hearing quite a bit about how this other side feels silenced and wants to be heard. But, if your argument is the one that has always/already been the one heard, then you have always already been heard. (I hate the phrase always already, but it is what it is.) Lately, it seems that I and many others have to fight to be heard and are being told for one reason or another that we don’t really have the right to even be in the conversation. I shouldn’t even say “lately” because it’s always been a battle to be heard, but lately, it seems to be an even more uphill battle.

I don’t believe that Anita Sarkeesian is shutting down the conversation by shutting down the comments. But, like I said, I can’t say I blame her for shutting down the comments. I think we all have seen how ugly and unproductive that can get. And, she is in the conversation in other ways. Those anti-Sarkeesian videos are inherently “in conversation” with her (although those are sometimes also pretty ugly conversations). She’s on Twitter. She wrote:

And, that’s what I think it has to come down to. My anxieties are high and conversations often get ugly, but I think it’s important. Despite this being a terrifying conversation sometimes (yes rape and death threats are terrifying), I’m ready to talk and have a productive conversation. It’s not about me wanting or needing to be right; it’s about me wanting to be heard. So save the ugly rhetoric and save the “arguments” about what I should or should not be offended by. I say “I” because I cannot speak for the entire feminist community. There are things that offend me that wouldn’t offend others and vice versa. But, we want to be heard and have productive conversations.

EasternBronze posted:

If any game sites pop-up that have a strict "no politics" policy I'll definitely check it out.
http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Im anxious that i aint gay enough

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i like how anita's expression is always "just caught sight of herself in a mirror and was extremely surprised at how smug she looked"

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

lol gently caress the police

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Al Jazeera headline is "#GamerGate: Misogyny or corruption in the gaming community?"

It's both. Lots and lots of both.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

EasternBronze posted:

Politics, social issues, and other assorted topics aren't necessarily bad to discuss on a pop culture site. The problem specific to a lot of nerd hobbies, like gaming, is that the authors of such articles, and the inevitable commentators, rarely frame debates/discussions with informed opinions and understanding. A lot of it is reactionary and ignorant, or very shallow. Take Anita Sarkeesian for example, if gamers and "games journalists" actually could hold real discussions, there would be no controversy. Her stuff is a bit too basic, and sometimes poorly contextualized, but isn't offensive. Most of the anti-Sarkeesian shitheads, if they actually took time to think about her contents, and larger issues they address, would probably realize feminism isn't just not a threat to games, but actually not a bad idea! The whole Zoe Quinn thing would likely have been less of an issue too. However, self-awareness and self-reflection are absent, along with real discourse. Lots of nerds gotta work on this issue.

If they don't wanna change, games journalists, at this point, should basically embrace their roles as pr people and just spend more time goofing off and doing stupid poo poo. That seems to be why giant bomb is popular.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Rad Tad posted:

lol gently caress the police

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yesterday, I got sucked down the rabbit hole of watching anti-Sarkeesian YouTube videos. Many of the arguments against her are laughably ironic, but one in particular stood out to me as not ironic, but just sad. In the video, Anita was accused of shutting down the conversation because she has turned off the comments, ratings, and statistics on her YouTube channel. I can’t really say I blame her. I won’t link the video; you can Google it. But, I will say this accusation was made a year ago. Even though Anita Sarkeesian finds herself once again in the middle of the poo poo storm, the harassment of her has been going on for years. That’s sad and terrifying. (If you haven’t heard of the latest situation, the last couple of posts on this blog cover it with some detail.)

Due to personal stuff over the last month and the latest situation with Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, my own anxieties about taking about anything feminist have reached a level of code red. Thankfully, I have never had death or rape threats, but, I often find myself in situations like the one I wrote about a few weeks ago in which the rhetoric reaches incredibly low levels with accusations like “ugly whore.” The anxiety and fear of a situation turning ugly can make it pretty hard to carry on.

Last night, we were talking about the somewhat bizarre insult of Social Justice Warrior. I’m no warrior, but the “insult” makes me feel anything but disempowered (as I suppose it’s meant to make me feel). During this conversation, my anxiety levels were going down. I can get on board with being a Social Justice Warrior. That’s what this is all about, right? Social Justice. But, then I got an unexpected text from an old and dear friend that read, “I’ve been FB stalking you today. What’s up with the feminism posts?” And, with that I sort of froze again. Like I said, I’m not a warrior, and I’m becoming increasingly anxious about engaging in a situation with someone that could end with some variation of “ugly whore.” I almost didn’t answer him, then I realized I was being somewhat ridiculous (or maybe cowardly is the better word). This particular person is an old and dear friend because he’s an awesome person. So, I told him some of the stuff that was going on, and I pointed him to this blog. It was a productive conversation.

Many factors have led to this sense of anxiety I now feel. But, I’ve been hearing quite a bit about how this other side feels silenced and wants to be heard. But, if your argument is the one that has always/already been the one heard, then you have always already been heard. (I hate the phrase always already, but it is what it is.) Lately, it seems that I and many others have to fight to be heard and are being told for one reason or another that we don’t really have the right to even be in the conversation. I shouldn’t even say “lately” because it’s always been a battle to be heard, but lately, it seems to be an even more uphill battle.

I don’t believe that Anita Sarkeesian is shutting down the conversation by shutting down the comments. But, like I said, I can’t say I blame her for shutting down the comments. I think we all have seen how ugly and unproductive that can get. And, she is in the conversation in other ways. Those anti-Sarkeesian videos are inherently “in conversation” with her (although those are sometimes also pretty ugly conversations). She’s on Twitter. She wrote:

And, that’s what I think it has to come down to. My anxieties are high and conversations often get ugly, but I think it’s important. Despite this being a terrifying conversation sometimes (yes rape and death threats are terrifying), I’m ready to talk and have a productive conversation. It’s not about me wanting or needing to be right; it’s about me wanting to be heard. So save the ugly rhetoric and save the “arguments” about what I should or should not be offended by. I say “I” because I cannot speak for the entire feminist community. There are things that offend me that wouldn’t offend others and vice versa. But, we want to be heard and have productive conversations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Are you Andrew Dobson?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Fire Barrel posted:

Most of the anti-Sarkeesian shitheads, if they actually took time to think about her contents, and larger issues they address, would probably realize feminism isn't just not a threat to games, but actually not a bad idea! .

:allears:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

feminism is good

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Cardboard Box A posted:

At least tell us where you copied/pasted this from.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

i like women and it'd be cool if these video games stopped making me treat them bad

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

DrPlump posted:

Female gamers are a huge problem for gamer culture. Previously there was no pussy at all and everyone as a group accepted no one was getting laid. You made your decision the video games are here and the girls are not. No one expected these men to get laid and everyone agreed it was entirely their fault for remaining in an area with no girls.

Then something happened with Obama crashing the economy which reduced supply of normal men. Some women turned to gamers hoping for quantity over quality. Suddenly there is pussy in the place where the video games are but there is not enough for everyone. This created a prisoners dilemma over the pussy supply. The same phenomenon is responsible for wars and most other acts of violence and that is when the pussy supply is mostly 1 to 1.

Being gamer nerds they courted the ladies in the fashion they know best. They validated them in every way they could and catered to their every whim. Eventually this created a situation in which every female gamer had their every wish fulfilled and their every thought and action amplified.

Normal women would be instantly turned off by such desperate attempts for their pussy. Many resorted to hiding themselves through anonymity to avoid the constant sexual assault. However the crazy and ugly girls are not used to being sought after and validated. This is a new experience for them but in the worst possible way. It becomes addicting like a drug and due to the disproportionate cock to pussy ratio it is like a 24/7 fire hose.

No one person deserves that much power. It would corrupt anyone. I don't blame Zoe. I blame the thirsty rear end betas.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

"lol you want to be heard? gently caress you, you don't need to be heard, I want to be heard. this is okay because *cites literature*"

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DrPlump posted:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the important work of internet dweebs funding my cat oriented lifestyle - one brave girl gamer speask out

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

said noone, ever

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Phil Niekro posted:

remember when one of the weird twitter group implied he would stab a 10 year old on behalf of a twitter girl because the 10 year old quoted Carlin

"heh, fuckers think I ordered a mob hit on him"

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

???

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I'm going to get romance novels and dildos banned in Murica because I care so much about what fat women are up to.

Dec 26, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

lol

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Fandyien posted:

feminism is good
For me to poop on.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Have a Polygon article by your friend Ben Kuchera.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/3/6102497/want-to-be-happier-buy-video-games

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Spiky Ooze posted:

I'm going to get romance novels and dildos banned in Murica because I care so much about what fat women are up to.

Are dildos causing a devaluation of men in the eyes of women? 10 reasons why this problematic trend must stop.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fandyien posted:

feminism is good

it can be instrumental to have scripts that are not poo poo and characters that surprise you because are not the same cliche we have seen a million times

also diverse body-shapes is good. some people like lolitas, other people like big tits, other people like flacas. we only get like 1 type of women. More variety would even make the graphics of game better, by giving different style and emotions for womens.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

this was literally 30 years ago or something which makes the current meltdowns even better

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

davecrazy posted:

At least tell us where you copied/pasted this from.
I just assumed that if you wanted to know that you would google it

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

I haven't watched Sarkeesian's videos. But all of the praise is totally, 100% generic. She makes 'good points'. She's doing 'good work'.

But I've literally never seen anyone mention specific things they found surprising/clever/not already on TV tropes.

Is anyone watching her videos to learn stuff? Or is it purely a shibboleth thing?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201409032102-0024126

Aljazeera is on the side of gamers, what loving world am I living in where loving Breitart and Alazeera are same side.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

First off, this is laughable. Seriously, read this anyone who is...I dunno, just read this. Read this lovely article and see what the whole crux of this is--it's like "this progressive X shouldn't be allowed because it isn't progressive enough! Sure it's getting results, but SHOULD IT?" and they cite some cancer charity that refused to take money from Reddit? That's dumb too. Take the loving money, you're a loving charity--are you somehow now too good to accept money? You know what, I have a non-profit, I will HAPPILY take Reddit's money.

Hear that, Reddit? PM me, I got a non-profit museum that would absolutely love to accept your guilt money, PLEASE fork it to me.

Falsum posted:

She probably did receive threats.

She has shown a screen capture of a creepy series of tweets, which have apparently inspired her to contact the police.

Some other woman was tweeting about having her unborn baby threatened by harassers too (due to her feminism, I guess). I didn't ask her to prove it because that felt obnoxious, but I inquired as to what should be done, since everyone can agree that harassment is bad. She felt I was diminishing the damages of harassment or whatever, but we came to the conclusion that Twitter could honestly do a lot more to maybe punish people who engage in bad behavior.

Which, actually, raises the question--why HASN'T Twitter said anything about this? Why has nobody reported any of these harassment things to twitter, who has the power to ban users. Wouldn't that be a logical step, if you feel blocking hate speech wasn't sufficient?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tokamak posted:

You have to be incredibly naive or mentally handicapped to be oblivious to the way coverage is managed by PR; I just don't believe this person's reasoning. On the other hand they wilfully chose to work as a blogger, so maybe they are naive. There's a good reason why some writers like to refer to themselves as 'enthusiast press' and not journalists.

Btw. The Jeff Gerstmann firing saga was confirmed by Jeff himself when their company got brought out by CBSi years ago. Doritos gate was speculation... :stare:
The amount of revisionism required to sell the Zoe Quinn drama as journalist corruption is just startling.

The times when journalists were given consoles, TV's, and straight up cheques for money were just innocent misunderstandings.....

quotin dis for a new page

zoe quinn is a jerk and gaming journalism sucks, but lol if you buy into "we're angry about corruption, not zoe quinn!!!", this is an industry that is entirely dependent on early review copies (often tied to the requirement of a positive preview article), a privilege that can and has been revoked on a whim depending on poo poo reviews, as well as review consoles, early swag, full-site adverts before the review is even released, meetings with the developers (and developers starring in videos, making the normal reviewer feel less comfortable saying "this sucks), moneyhats flooding popular vidgit game youtube peoples, etc.

but apparently this is the super sneekret conspiracy that just goes too far: a person possibly loving friends in the area to win the Indie Nobody Award for Best Indie Nobody Game

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

First off, this is laughable. Seriously, read this anyone who is...I dunno, just read this. Read this lovely article and see what the whole crux of this is--it's like "this progressive X shouldn't be allowed because it isn't progressive enough! Sure it's getting results, but SHOULD IT?" and they cite some cancer charity that refused to take money from Reddit? That's dumb too. Take the loving money, you're a loving charity--are you somehow now too good to accept money? You know what, I have a non-profit, I will HAPPILY take Reddit's money.

Hear that, Reddit? PM me, I got a non-profit museum that would absolutely love to accept your guilt money, PLEASE fork it to me.

She has shown a screen capture of a creepy series of tweets, which have apparently inspired her to contact the police.

Some other woman was tweeting about having her unborn baby threatened by harassers too (due to her feminism, I guess). I didn't ask her to prove it because that felt obnoxious, but I inquired as to what should be done, since everyone can agree that harassment is bad. She felt I was diminishing the damages of harassment or whatever, but we came to the conclusion that Twitter could honestly do a lot more to maybe punish people who engage in bad behavior.

Which, actually, raises the question--why HASN'T Twitter said anything about this? Why has nobody reported any of these harassment things to twitter, who has the power to ban users. Wouldn't that be a logical step, if you feel blocking hate speech wasn't sufficient?

Well if the people yelling hate at you got blocked then you couldn't yell about how people are threatening you so that you could push your agenda.

• Locked thread