Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shitshow posted:

There's a big sale of Dark Horse omnibuses: https://digital.darkhorse.com/genre/171/

I wonder if DH will have to remove the Star Wars stuff from their servers once Marvel starts publishing.

Is that a possibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder if DH will have to remove the Star Wars stuff from their servers once Marvel starts publishing.

Is that a possibility?

Going by the licenses video games precedent, I'd say no or they shouldn't have to at least. For example, when Activision lost the Marvel license, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games and their additional content stopped being sold on digital marketplaces but to this day, you can still redownload stuff you purchased.

That's the rule of thumb I operate with: stuff can stop being sold but AFAIK, you can still redownload things you bought.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Are any of the Star Wars worth reading?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Asnorban posted:

I enjoyed Rebel Heist, the newish mini series written by Matt Kindt.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Asnorban posted:

I'd skip The Star Wars, but Brian Wood's Star Wars has been great. If you're talking about the omnibus sale, then Rise of the Sith or X-Wing Rogue Squadron are good bets.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Marvels sale. Is Marvel 1985 good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked 1985. From memory it had that Spielbergian/Amblin vibe with it being grounded in the 80's kid's perspective.
Definitely one of the nicer things Millar's ever done.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Marvel 1985 is alright, Millar tones down a lot of his usual nonsense. I'll agree that it does that Amblin feel okay though I really wish they went with the crazy/terrible/awesome picture book idea they were going to do.

Also the real deal is that The Marvels Project is on sale and is great and one of the best (and most underrated) things Brubaker/Epting did at Marvel. Kind of captures some of the magic that Bru did with Phillips on Fatale.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 18, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I really hope that todays DC sale is all of Grant Morrison's DC work.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I really hope that todays DC sale is all of Grant Morrison's DC work.

:/

https://www.comixology.com/Multiversity-Sale/page/3152

It's a loose Crisis n multiverse related sale.

52, COIE, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis+Superman Beyond, Zero Hour, Some Elseworlds, Red Son, Kingdom Come, Assorted stuff like a Captain Carrot issue and the Black Pres Superman issue of Grant's Action Comics.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Everyone get 52, Red Son, and Kingdom Come if you don't already have those.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone have suggestions for the IDW/Joe Hill sale? I've read and quite liked Locke & Key, so I recommend that for basically any modern fantasy/horror comics fan, but not sure about The Cape, Thumbprint, The Wraith, etc. (I did read and enjoy NOS4A2, a novel that The Wraith is linked to.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

:/

https://www.comixology.com/Multiversity-Sale/page/3152

It's a loose Crisis n multiverse related sale.

52, COIE, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis+Superman Beyond, Zero Hour, Some Elseworlds, Red Son, Kingdom Come, Assorted stuff like a Captain Carrot issue and the Black Pres Superman issue of Grant's Action Comics.

Apparently the sale extends to all of Kamandi, which is awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sweet!

I'm just finishing Morrison's Animal Man now. They should've included that.
Near the end it brings back multiverse characters destroyed in Crisis, they discover their place in comic books and peer past the frame to the reader.
That's totally Multiversity with the Earths reading about each other in their comics, and us being a part of that.

E: It's weird. The Joe Hill sale page is blocked country blocked (at least for where I am in NZ) but I can just search for the books anyhow. What's the point in the block?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 19, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sweet!

I'm just finishing Morrison's Animal Man now. They should've included that.
Near the end it brings back multiverse characters destroyed in Crisis, they discover their place in comic books and peer past the frame to the reader.
That's totally Multiversity with the Earths reading about each other in their comics, and us being a part of that.

Also, it's Morrison's best DC comic.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're kind of misleading since .99 an issue is the regular price for Kamandi. So I guess they're just showcasing issue 1.

Kamandi is awesome though. They really need to step the gently caress up and get all the Fourth World stuff digitally.

I'm on the fence about 52 because I already own the trades but I really enjoyed it. Hell, I'm the guy who liked Countdown.

Late edit: I bought Infinite Crisis because it had been too long and after like 4 pages and some confusion, I realized my favorite part of IC is actually the OMAC project mini.

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Valiant going DRM-free; giving away some free #1's. No word if they are extending this to comiXology or not.
http://comicsalliance.com/valiant-partnership-drivethrucomics-digital-library/

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Bandette #8 was lovely and adorable and looked delightful and had a pirate pig and the gently caress Yeah Bandette & Matadori team-up at last. #9 needs to be out, like, tomorrow.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I got a bunch of comics through Humble Bundles, and Calibre wasn't really cutting it for keeping things organized. So I decided to try out ComicRack, but it turns out I am easily confused by unfamiliar software. Does anyone else use this software? Is there any way to use it to automatically download metadata? Manually going through and entering the authors for every comic seems tedious.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I got a bunch of comics through Humble Bundles, and Calibre wasn't really cutting it for keeping things organized. So I decided to try out ComicRack, but it turns out I am easily confused by unfamiliar software. Does anyone else use this software? Is there any way to use it to automatically download metadata? Manually going through and entering the authors for every comic seems tedious.

I use Comicrack for all the bundle and DRM free stuff. The plugins I use to keep things tidy are:
- Comic Vine Scraper: that gets you meta data from Comic Vine.
- Organize library and folders: that helps name and structure your files and folders. I apply it after scraping.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

PelvicNerve posted:

I use Comicrack for all the bundle and DRM free stuff. The plugins I use to keep things tidy are:
- Comic Vine Scraper: that gets you meta data from Comic Vine.
- Organize library and folders: that helps name and structure your files and folders. I apply it after scraping.

This is exactly what I wanted! It will take me a little while to get used to the interface, but this is already so much better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Today's sale is Grant Morrison's X-Men. GET IT!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Boom! Leading Ladies Sale https://www.comixology.com/BOOM-Leading-Ladies-Sale/page/3212/?tid=B140826001_BOOM!_Leading_Ladies_Sale

Pick up Lumberjanes, y'all.

e: Grant Morrison's Steed and Mrs. Peel is in there. Is that interesting at all?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 26, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

How is Morrison and Waids Avengers?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Now I'm glad I didn't drop $15 on that Humble Bundle just to get Lumberjanes and Bee and Puppycat.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
gently caress yeah, Lumberjanes is awesome!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Other than the first 18 issues, Get Mystique, ent/Enemy of Shield and Old Man Logan is there anything worth getting as part of the Wolverine bundle sale?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

More Wolverine on sale for today's Marvel Mondays. The first five issues of Savage Wolverine by Frank Cho are great. It has Shanna the She-Devil and dinosaurs, two things that Frank Cho excels at drawing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

More Wolverine on sale for today's Marvel Mondays. The first five issues of Savage Wolverine by Frank Cho are great. It has Shanna the She-Devil and dinosaurs, two things that Frank Cho excels at drawing.

They're great if you like Frank Cho drawing half naked women.

That last part was redundant.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
DC is doing a sale on all 0 issues and villains issues.

okay?

You have the weirdest sales DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, they do sell omnibuses of the september issues, and they're starting the new gimmick month this week.

e: Deadly Class, Morning Glories and Five Weapons sale https://www.comixology.com/Image-Ba...m_content=Image
Bloom County sale https://www.comixology.com/Bloom-Co...utm_content=IDW

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 2, 2014

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Totally recommend all of the Image sale stuff. If you only pick up one I'd go for Morning Glories.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Totally recommend all of the Image sale stuff. If you only pick up one I'd go for Morning Glories.

Is that still setting up mysteries without any payoff?

Because that is what made me lose interest.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, someone mind selling me on Deadly Class? The names behind it sound good but I know literally nothing about it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I just bought the issues and haven't read them, but I heard good things about it here. Not that Remender writing about an assassin high school would have taken a lot of convincing for me to buy the issues.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'd need to go read them again but Deadly Class is really good, the art is nice and the set up isn't exactly unique (Five Weapons has a similar private school for criminal kids setting) but it's kind of cool seeing the way they twisted the old private high school set up. The protagonist is a poor kid (he's a homeless orphan at the start) that got in on a "scholarship" that gets heat from everyone looking down on him to start with, the strict hardass Principal actually threatens to kill him and uses torture as disipline and the student body is divided into Old Money and the Nouveau Riche, but in this case that means Mafioso and Triads vs Cartels and LA street gangs.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So, someone mind selling me on Deadly Class? The names behind it sound good but I know literally nothing about it.

It's my favorite ongoing right now and, besides Saga, the only comic in recent memory to make me laugh out loud. The story is oooookay so far, but it's filled with great little moments and the art is terrific.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S makes my comics glow like radioactive candy. Is this considered "more accurate?"

(I still love you Nook HD+, but it's time for a real tablet now.)

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Humble IDW Star Trek Bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is that still setting up mysteries without any payoff?

Because that is what made me lose interest.

That was my experience with the series as well. I went from "awesome, Lost meets Runaways with a pinch of Buffy" to "this is getting old". Yet, I remember being very engrossed when I started reading the trades so I'm giving it a chance and picked all the issues on sale.

I'm hating that DC sale as it reminds me these dumb one-shot months tend to gently caress up my collecting as I never know if there's a point in reading them when I catch up on series. Between this and crossovers, picking DC trades can be confusing.

Also it reminds me there's one starting right now.