Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

Basically, Sarkhan Vol is the T-800 and Ugin is John Connor.

So when do we get the reveal that The Lithomancer was actually a time-traveling Jace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
At least let it be Koth, c'mon.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The Lithomancer was Stoneforge Mystic, who was hiding out on a creature card Blind Seer-style.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

qbert posted:

So when do we get the reveal that The Lithomancer was actually a time-traveling Jace?

I thought the Lithomancer was the Lady Kor Planeswalker that bound Ob-Nixilis?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

hi anyone read Italian? I think when you flip her she counters and then steals an instant spell?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Zorak posted:

hi anyone read Italian? I think when you flip her she counters and then steals an instant spell?

Yeah it looks like it counters a spell and then exiles it and then you can cast it out of exile (for as long as it remains in exile, obviously, since what do you think this is, a red card?)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zorak posted:

When Kheru Theftmage is turned face up, counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost as long as it remains exiled.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 4, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

"Rubare" is the Italian verb for theft, so the name is probably like "Kheru Spellstealer"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sweet EDH card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like Kheru Theftmage.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Zorak posted:

Morph flipping Spelljack? sick.

EDIT: if you guys play in paper Massdrop has already got KoT boxes up for $99.99 If I played in paper i'd be jumping on this since other places have already got their prices at around 110$

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/khans-of-tarkir-booster-box

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 4, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Deviant posted:

When Kheru Theftmage is turned face up, counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost as long as it remains exiled.

Four of in every blue deck I play with.

There's nothing more fun than playing with other people's decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Four of in every blue deck I play with.

There's nothing more fun than playing with other people's decks.

9 mana is an awful lot to pay to steal a lightning strike.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It won't be anything in standard constructed, but it's neato. Having 6 open is pretty all in unless you have a prophet of kruphix or something.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Is pessimism your defining personality trait or something? I don't think I've seen you happy about a card yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

Is pessimism your defining personality trait or something? I don't think I've seen you happy about a card yet.

Untrue. That Roc is awesome. I also like the reveal a card morphs a whole lot.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
someone on reddit got a Speed vs Cunning before street date:

Not sure if this deck will play very well vs the other.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This card will be great in EDH\casual, it's a fun effect that I wouldn't want to see all over standard anyway.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Untrue. That Roc is awesome. I also like the reveal a card morphs a whole lot.

Fair enough.

Still, it's also been a while and we haven't seen the Temur khan yet. I wonder what's up with him. Wizards definitely prefers to lead out with the strongest stuff, so I wonder if it'll be another case like what we had with Pharika where they knew fans would be unhappy (regardless of how serviceable she actually is).

Pyronic posted:

someone on reddit got a Speed vs Cunning before street date:

Not sure if this deck will play very well vs the other.

This radical new change Wizards has been going to with the whole no lands things is still just a bit odd in my opinion.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What happens to spell cards that are cast from exile? Do they go to the owner's graveyard?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GR Devotion with one or two Banefires?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BizarroAzrael posted:

What happens to spell cards that are cast from exile? Do they go to the owner's graveyard?

Yes!

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

If I attack with a Flinthoof Boar, could I use Druid's Repository to haste it using the same counter it just generated?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Umbra Dubium posted:

If I attack with a Flinthoof Boar, could I use Druid's Repository to haste it using the same counter it just generated?

You would be able to haste it. However, you wouldn't be able to attack and then haste it to enable it to attack if you just played it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Umbra Dubium posted:

You can, but gaining Haste midcombat doesn't alter anything.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I knew it was a stupid question, but not for the reason I thought. Ha.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong: If the spell cast from exile is countered by rules i.e. no valid target it remains in exile.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

BizarroAzrael posted:

When you cast an instant/sorcery card, it always goes to the owner's graveyard after resolving unless a card effect says otherwise. Usually when cast from the graveyard they get exiled, but that's only because most effects that let you cast from the yard also tell you to exile them afterwards, it isn't a real rule.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong: If the spell cast from exile is countered by rules i.e. no valid target it remains in exile.

Why would it remain in exile?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Even stealing something like a Lightning Strike doesn't seem all that bad considering that the "9 mana" is spent over multiple turns (which, along with gaining a morph, effectively discounts it), likely accounts for two cards on their end (Lightning Strike and whatever you kill with it), and leaves you with a 3/3 in play. It's not crazily pushed or anything, but the effect is powerful enough that the cost is fair even if your opponent is playing the most mundane spells and creatures imaginable.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

When you cast it, it moves from exile to the stack. If it's countered on the stack, it goes to its owner's graveyard unless one of the card effects says otherwise.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

qbert posted:

Why would it remain in exile?

Because going to the graveyard is part of resolution and it never resolved. I guess it would only remain in exile if it had some window to be cast, not just whenever. I thought that because if you stifle a creature's madness ability it is exiled.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Because going to the graveyard is part of resolution and it never resolved.

So by that logic, if I cast Abrupt Decay on a creature that then gains hexproof, the Decay just gets to remain in my hand?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Because going to the graveyard is part of resolution and it never resolved. I guess it would only remain in exile if it had some window to be cast, not just whenever. I thought that because if you stifle a creature's madness ability it is exiled.

The card goes from exile to the stack. once it's on the stack it behaves like anything else. A card is not in your hand while casting it, something cast from exile isn't there while casting it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hang on, I thought the card was in the yard during resolution. Specifically, I thought if you fire a burn spell at a Tarmagoyf, that card was increasing Goyfs size at the point of resolving the damage.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

qbert posted:

So by that logic, if I cast Abrupt Decay on a creature that then gains hexproof, the Decay just gets to remain in my hand?

Decay etc specify they can't be countered by spells and abilities, invalid targets still make it fizzle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hang on, I thought the card was in the yard during resolution. Specifically, I thought if you fire a burn spell at a Tarmagoyf, that card was increasing Goyfs size at the point of resolving the damage.

Part of resolution is putting the spell into the yard. The reason a burn spell might not kill Tarmagoyf is that its toughness is calculated at the same time that it's checked for lethal damage.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, I got it now. Stupid loving judge exam twisting my mind with stifle+madness making me second guess casting from exile. The "correct me if i'm wrong" wasn't meant to be an ironic statement.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Guns don't kill people. State-based actions kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

State based isn't checked until a player would get priority. Nobody would get priority until the spell is completely resolved. So at no point does the game even try to see if creatures are marked with lethal damage until the spell is completely done.

• Locked thread