Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Been out of the game for like a year, I box Bard/Shm/Mag sometimes with a 4th Druid. All around mid 90's. What's new, and what surprises am I going to see when I log in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

How do i reset the gamma change the game does on startup?

Normally when i start the game, it brightens the gamma and reverts it back to the normal gamma when i exit.
Today i accidentally started 2 game instances, so the first one brightened the gamma, the second one changed it back, then the first one brightened it again when i entered the game with a character. I didn't enter the game with the second instance but instead quit the game, which reset the gamma. When i then exited the game with the fist instance it then darkened the gamma when i went to the login screen and brightened it again when i completely exited, or something. I have no idea. I just want my screens to look normal again and not washed out.

I do plan to do some boxing in the future, so i expect this to happen again. Is there a "procedure" on how to avoid this?
I'm pretty sure there isn't. I just set my gamma to something that matches my desktop, and the same across all my boxes, and I don't feel it. In order to fix the gamma after exiting EQ you can go into your graphics card's settings and just move the gamma slider up and down again one notch, and it should be good again.

BJA posted:

Been out of the game for like a year, I box Bard/Shm/Mag sometimes with a 4th Druid. All around mid 90's. What's new, and what surprises am I going to see when I log in?
Well, VoA is free now in case you didn't buy it, so using F2P is a bit more attractive. Lots of nice little quality of life changes, such as tradeskill having a "create until you run out of materials" button, leadship AA being gone and available to everyone by default, mounts made easier to use, and more.

Most importantly, all AAs can be auto-granted up to and including the 4th latest expansion, which is currently Underfoot. This means that you can check a checkbox, and your character will automatically gain all AAs (those up to and including Underfoot, so roughly up to lvl 85) each time he dings, or if you're already lvl 90-ish, you will just get them all in one swoop. It requires "all access" (previously called Gold) subscription, but you could buy a sub for a month, get a ton of AAs, and then keep them if you downgrade your sub again.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
So I was reading some on this whole Heroic thing, I made a few of the free ones back in march, and never did anything with them. But I just read if you buy one, make a character, don't like it, and delete it, you can make another without paying again? How does that work for testcopy? Can I make a heroic, testcopy it, make another different class, testcopy that, etc and have 8 different level 85's on one server? Don't know what I would do other than play some classes I never have like Zerker, Monk, and Cleric, but I though it sounded interesting.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Nope, they already blocked that loophole entirely

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Well supposedly you can testcopy heroic characters now, so I don't even know how all those intricacies work out now.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

If you paid for a heroic character, you can delete and re-roll. If you delete a free heroic character, it's gone forever. You can testcopy heroic characters just fine now whether they're free or bought.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Every now and again I check the official forums looking for an announcement on a new progression server. I would happily pay those assholes $30-45 / month for one, but otherwise my sole pleasure with SOE products is using them for zero money, if I use them at all. I just can't get interested in the 2khp/item game these days.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
I'm not sure that you should either hold your breath for a new progression server or expect it to be all that good.

The problems and issues with another set of servers:
+ They talk about more progression servers weekly apparently, but absolutely zero solid information on it. They keep telling us they're committed to getting the current set up to the live expansion, but who knows if they've even bothered to code the triggers for House of Thule to unlock VoA, and onward.

+ People keep posting that they want the server to stop at Planes of Power, and now apparently the devs are onboard with the idea. When Fippy and Vulak failed their GoD votes, the server population was dramatically reduced in the time it took for them to finally pass the vote. Apparently the same thing just happened when Underfoot failed its vote as well, although not nearly as severe. We're expecting it to happen far, far worse for the House of Thule vote, see below on the voting for why. The reason I say this is a problem is because of the nature of the game in its early years, that is completely uninstanced content that gates access to other content. The top guild or guilds will want to stay that way, and they'll do what's necessary to do so, if for nothing else than to kill time. That means blocking other guilds from getting key raid kills so they too can progress. This happened constantly on both The Combine and the newest set of servers, and the only thing I can see changing that is the GMs stepping in to be heavy handed, which is going to drive away players just as fast as a guild 'hogging' all the content. Until about TSS, unlocking further expansions relieve pressure on content to allow less capable guilds to proceed with their own progression.

+ The current progression servers are a mass of kludges that don't really work all that great. A lot of the 'progression' specific code is straight up broken (defeating events gives us the chest name that we opened, not the events. NPCs are missing for no discernible reason. NPCs are giving out COTF tasks that can't be completed instead of in-era appropriate tasks. Unlocks are either not being triggered appropriately by beating all the associated events or are being triggered early by big patches. The list goes on and on.) A lot of quality of life enhancements that came out in HoT and onward (click from bags, offline trader, remote bazaar buying, agro meter) are still locked to the expansion server side, rather than the expansions you own client side. They recently allowed achievements and SC purchased big bags ahead of time, so there's no real reason they couldn't change some or all of the other enhancements to be available if your client has it, and they've outright admitted as much. Hell they could probably even do Mercs and see what the game could have been like day 1.

+ If they do the same voting system, a large collection of players can permanently block the game to an expansion whenever they want. The Underfoot vote was apparently failed by a large 'casual, family raiding' guild voting no because they hadn't beaten Brext in Seeds of Destruction yet, plus a bitter dude who can't get a guild on the server logging in every account he could get his hands on to vote no. (There's a level lock in place to 'prevent' that from happening, but its like level 60+ nowadays.) Said guild has beaten exactly two events in Underfoot in longer time than its taken EoE to beat six (we're farming keys for Tier 8), and are expected to do exactly the same thing because they haven't beaten the First Creation, so they can claim that they did so 'in-era' like they did Brext and Kerafyrm.

+ You'll see everyone rolling Mages and SKs until Velious or even later so they can snipe raid mobs. If you're not planning or expecting to raid, then well okay I guess this is a non issue, but basically raiding comes down to logging on a mage or SK and standing around at spawn spamming a hotkey during the spawn window. The 24 hour spawn window.

Frankly, a new set of progression servers seriously need a single developer who actually gives a poo poo to sit down and hash a bunch of this out, or its just going to be a poo poo festival again, especially if they knee-jerk listen to a vocal minority on blocking the server at PoP.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't really get the commitment to getting fippy/vulak to live. Isn't being a couple expansions behind essentially the casual experience on live? I haven't played actively since DoN, so I don't really know how the tiers work.

I think the only way to handle pre-instanced progression is to enforce some kind of rotation the way guilds did back in Velious. E.g. Once you think you're strong enough, you get a crack at Aary, once your guild succeeds at that you're in the rotation. I'm not sure if that would work in Kunark, but it would for Emp/VT, EPs, Inktu'ta / Txevu, etc. The only problem is it would take actual GM time to administer, but once they shoot someone in the head for thefting someone's spot, it would probably self-regulate pretty well. I don't even think the poopsocking crowd would object; it's a huge quality of life improvement at the cost of having 3-4 endgame guilds instead of 1-2.

I'd do away with voting altogether. If they want to pace it, make it a hard timer and vary it according to the popularity / difficulty / magnitude of the expansion. That way one guild can't steamroll, and a bunch of malcontent casuals can't filibuster.

I just have a hard time believing a progression server won't make a profit. The last round were well-populated for two years, and every single one of those characters was gold. Plus, with EQNext being provably 2-3 years away, it doesn't even really pose a self competition issue. And then once EQNext inevitably faceplants, they can do another round of progression servers to milk more money out of the one good game they've ever made.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

There's rumors of a non-progression locked server coming out with the next anniversary. Might have been leaked from the CRT info area.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Like just straight locked at PoP or w/e, bumrush to the top however you please? That could be interesting.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Replacement server for the Mac server people I'd assume, so probably locked at PoP IF it ever happens

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Lol, Smedley got trained.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/soe-presidents-flight-grounded-group-behind-playst/1100-6421895/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

There's rumors of a non-progression locked server coming out with the next anniversary. Might have been leaked from the CRT info area.

It was teased at that block party too.

I dunno. If that happens, I might be playing there a lot.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

It was teased at that block party too.

I dunno. If that happens, I might be playing there a lot.

I'll probably play there constantly aside from raid times if it really is fully non-prog locked

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I would resub EQ for a PoP-locked live server, or even Gates or Omens or what-have-you but I can't seem to find reference to those rumours anywhere, can someone toss some links?

edit: apparently my google-fu was weak, it was mentioned as a possibility during a dev chat and discussed a bit at https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/progression-server-that-only-goes-up-to-pop.208146/

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Huzzah, 1.5x exp weekend for us testicles starting tonight. Although something might be wrong with SoE's calendar

"In EverQuest, enjoy Double XP beginning at 5:00pm PDT on Thursday, August 29, through 11:59pm PDT on Monday, September 2, 2013."

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have gotten my shaman to 55, and am enjoying the benefits of automatically granted AAs. I notice however that i only have 3/4 in spell manacost reduction (don't remember the name of the AA), even though the 4th point requires level 55. It says House of Thule in the rightmost column, i am assuming autogrant does not apply to this expansion? And that the 4th point of this AA was added with this expansion?

If i stop leveling for a while and grind out this very useful AA, will that mean that i will get less auto granted AAs in the end? Or is stopping leveling and grind out the 9 AA required in fact a good idea, because i get to take advantage of the xp bonus on AA since i don't have that many yet?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

I have gotten my shaman to 55, and am enjoying the benefits of automatically granted AAs. I notice however that i only have 3/4 in spell manacost reduction (don't remember the name of the AA), even though the 4th point requires level 55. It says House of Thule in the rightmost column, i am assuming autogrant does not apply to this expansion? And that the 4th point of this AA was added with this expansion?

If i stop leveling for a while and grind out this very useful AA, will that mean that i will get less auto granted AAs in the end? Or is stopping leveling and grind out the 9 AA required in fact a good idea, because i get to take advantage of the xp bonus on AA since i don't have that many yet?
Auto-grant only gives AAs up to and including the 5th latest expansion, which is Underfoot, so you're correct, it doesn't including House of Thule AAs, even if a rank is below level 85. Come the next expansion rollout, everyone will gain HoT AAs.

You will be granted the amount of AAs even if you have grinded some by hand. It's not a fixed amount of points you are auto-granted; you gain everything you don't already have.

The auto-granted AAs don't count towards the AA XP bonus (+1000% at 0 scaling to +0% at 4000 AAs), so you can grind however you wish, and in this case, I would indeed stop and grind the 9 AAs for that useful AA. :)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Pilsner posted:

The auto-granted AAs don't count towards the AA XP bonus (+1000% at 0 scaling to +0% at 4000 AAs), so you can grind however you wish, and in this case, I would indeed stop and grind the 9 AAs for that useful AA. :)

Wait so by the time you are 85 and have 4000ish auto granted AAs, and 0 manually grinded ones, you still get the 1000% bonus?
The people ingame and on the official forums seems to be of the opposite opinion.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Wait so by the time you are 85 and have 4000ish auto granted AAs, and 0 manually grinded ones, you still get the 1000% bonus?
The people ingame and on the official forums seems to be of the opposite opinion.

They're probably jerks who just want you to spend as much time grinding AAs as they did. Continuing the masochistic cycle. (e:by making you grind aas at lower levels)

Setset fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 29, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
But you see, the 4-5 hours I spend training the entire zone on my character or previously headshotting an entire zone to max AAs at 85 were special and important!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ineptitude posted:

You do lose the huge AA bonus by taking autogrant AAs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

You don't get the bonus anymore. 100% for sure because we tested it just to see. Pilsner's just wrong on this one, which is rare for him but happens to everyone :v:

It is technically way faster to manually grind 4k AA and THEN autogrant, but that assumes you have higher level characters to help and don't need that first 4k AA to grind at a decent pace. If you're all by yourself with no boxes, it's probably overall faster to just take the auto-grant and lose the bonus so you're not gimpy as gently caress for 4k AA

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
How do I chat on the goon channel?

larrydigital
Feb 21, 2004

Say Queensbridge.
I quit playing EQ a few years ago but I just found out that I never cancelled my subscription which means I've been paying $40 every three months since 2011.

So I figure I might as well start playing again. That's is if my gimp gear can still hack it. I understand the equipment has progressed but I'm really not all that interested in a complete re-gear. I've got mostly HoT and low tier VoA raid stuff. I'm probably just going to run around and solo/molo old content. 95 bard with 3.5 AAs should be cool right?

Also, anyone play on Erollisi Marr?

larrydigital fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 31, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

larrydigital posted:

I quit playing EQ a few years ago but I just found out that I never cancelled my subscription which means I've been paying $40 every three months since 2011.

So I figure I might as well start playing again. That's is if my gimp gear can still hack it. I understand the equipment has progressed but I'm really not all that interested in a complete re-gear. I've got mostly HoT and low tier VoA raid stuff. I'm probably just going to run around and solo/molo old content. 95 bard with 3.5 AAs should be cool right?

lol
I transferred to Xegony to join RoI, so no dru+brd duoing.

You have a bit the sub-4k AA bonus left, you could focus on finishing up any voa+ aa lines, then opt in to auto-grant to get all you UF and lower AAs filled in. If you buy the next expansion, that will raise autogrant AAs up to HoT and bring your level cap up to 105.

As for gear, I don't even know what group stuff is at, but it shouldn't be far from the voa T1/T2 stuff. You should be fine dicking around in anything HoT and lower, and in VoA if you don't mess with named.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

larrydigital posted:

My toon was originally on EMarr - Bruman (human monk). I was in a few guilds, last one was Ring of Destiny. I played during Vanilla, Velious, and Planes of Power.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I was indeed wrong. Straight from a dev:

quote:

Characters that wish to take advantage of the experience bonus for low-AA count will want to do so before enabling the auto-grant option, as any AA received via auto-granting will count against the bonus. At higher levels, the auto-granted AA could completely exhaust the bonus experience
I guess I remembered it in opposite...

larrydigital
Feb 21, 2004

Say Queensbridge.

jetz0r posted:

lol
I transferred to Xegony to join RoI, so no dru+brd duoing.

You have a bit the sub-4k AA bonus left, you could focus on finishing up any voa+ aa lines, then opt in to auto-grant to get all you UF and lower AAs filled in. If you buy the next expansion, that will raise autogrant AAs up to HoT and bring your level cap up to 105.

As for gear, I don't even know what group stuff is at, but it shouldn't be far from the voa T1/T2 stuff. You should be fine dicking around in anything HoT and lower, and in VoA if you don't mess with named.

Ah, that's a bummer.

Group stuff should be fine, as I'm pretty sure my raiding days are behind me. Although, I've said that exact thing that last four times I've unretired so...

I'm going through the older posts here, just to be clear... I should grind it out to 4k-ish AAs, avoid spending on UFs and HoTs, then opt into auto-grant and then purchase the latest expansion?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

larrydigital posted:

I'm going through the older posts here, just to be clear... I should grind it out to 4k-ish AAs, avoid spending on UFs and HoTs, then opt into auto-grant and then purchase the latest expansion?

By latest, I mean the one coming out in oct. Don't buy CotF.

But yeah, that's the general idea. You have some AA bonus left till you hit 4k, if you can use that on useful AAs, you should. Since your autogrant is going to be tons of garbage AAs that you've avoided buying. All the UF and lower ones will come when you opt in, and all the HoT ones will come in a couple months when TDS releases.

Obv balance out the free vs now to whatever works for you when considering good AAs that would come with autogrant.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yo dogs. Test guild stuff is going pretty good. We beat all of Tier1 cotf, working on Argin, which doesn't seem that bad. We took a gigantic poo poo all over everything except the suicide-vest phoenixes.

A bunch of piece of poo poo drama-creators left, so mostly smart,reasonable people have all the power. Life is good.

Cue about 3 days until some random bullshit happens and blows up the guild again

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Still find it comical that Rainbowdash got all emo and people told him to piss off. Good for y'all though.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I don't know if anyone else here plays a max level ranger, but if you do I hope you've gotten your best in class burn weapons by this point:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=211 / http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=3509

(I don't know just how well the whip actually parses versus a raid primary, but the Efreeti Standard is ridiculous in the offhand while burning.)

The337th fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 4, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I don't get it

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Ranger burn includes a disc or spell that makes you proc on every melee swing. Those weapons are ridiculously low delay

J
Jun 10, 2001

Moss covered twig all over again? :haw:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

The whip doesn't even have a proc/aug slot though. I'd want parses to even be convinced the standard in offhand is worth it compared to something with 120+ more raw damage on it. Maybe with shaman or bard proc only, so that one's the only one that fires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I don't get how that could even remotely be good, you'd have to have a hell of a proc to make up for the DPS loss. Unless you had something idiotic like a massive lifetap and were tanking or something.