Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Paladinus posted:

Oh, okay, just have read the one on Proteus effect. It was better than the one about blokes reacting to filthy words. I've learned that there's a thing called Rape Myth Acceptance Scale (go test yourself, shitlords, http://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/oah-initiatives/paf/508-assets/conf-2011-herman-irma.pdf No, seriously, that's fascinating stuff).

These first five questions are making me frown and furrow my brow a lot. I never answer tests like this with Strongly anything answers, but I'm feeling increasingly bothered by clicking 4.

Number six is gonna be a fun one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Monkey Man posted:

Has Sarkeesian covered the Senran Kagura series yet?

I'd have some ham, actually. Anime = conditioning.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
Someone please post that blog where a person who was supporting Zoe Quinn did a 180

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Surely this has been linked by now, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tXyqPCOCM

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Please, don't post thunderfoot. He's an annoying oval office.

Thanks in advance!

E: or this.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Oh, okay, just have read the one on Proteus effect. It was better than the one about blokes reacting to filthy words. I've learned that there's a thing called Rape Myth Acceptance Scale (go test yourself, shitlords, http://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/oah-initiatives/paf/508-assets/conf-2011-herman-irma.pdf No, seriously, that's fascinating stuff).
What I don't get, though, in this experiment they only tested people with RMAS after their experiences with avatars. They didn't divide their sample groups by any parameters other than race, too. So how could they establish that it's the avatar what affected those women's self-perception? There's also this paragraph that I find baffling.

So, does it mean that conservative nuts were right all along and women who wear sexy clothes dehumanise and disgrace themselves?

Note: just an hour ago I was been playing a game as some sort of a mermaid (that I don't think I find very attractive), so my judgment may be hazed by horrors of video games.

it's short term though, which makes it kind of meaningless. your self perception is affected too when you play any game where the protagonist is doing all sorts of crazy poo poo and you realize that all you're doing is sitting on your loving couch but it's over shortly after you stop playing.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I sent here a tweet about kill la kill but I don't think she's ever going to review anime.

Senran Kagura's a video game series that has some anime cutscenes. I think that the ham gif is from this one:

quote:

In January 2014 it was announced in Famitsu that a PlayStation Vita game developed by Meteorise, titled Dekamori Senran Kagura, is to be released in Japan on 20 March 2014. The game was described as a "hyper big breasts cooking rhythm game".

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are people for serious arguing about video games for realsies

im gonna break some information down for u now so listen up: u don't need to worry aboutt serkeesan bc the type of game she whines about dont sell to people like her. she don't buy games unless she gets $160k and she didnt even play those ones. when the twitter garbagebaby crowd gets enough money from dad to be a force in the market then whatever u gonna have some trannies cutting off cocks in ur call of duty. until then 18-34 males are the only game in town when it comes to games u can't play on a iphone. those games arent going anywhere so no need to get in a puff about it.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

BottledBodhisvata posted:

See, now, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, your findings were proven to be somewhat weak and you are unwilling or unable to actually point out where Anita cited any of these studies, which we can't read in detail due to a paywall, but whose findings seem to be, as stated above, "Playing a game about sex makes you think about sex". None of these seem to suggest that there's an inherent link between violence against women and violence in video games.

You notice that I wrote a really long post about how people can't have a dialog, because they keep talking at each other rather than with each other? You are being disgenuous and dishonest, and I don't think my post nor my position warranted that.

I'm sorry you're a pleb who can't read online journals or watch her videos or read her blog properly. It's hard to have a dialogue with someone who can't do basic research by themselves.

natetimm posted:

Paying money to get behind a paywall doesn't make you an expert and those studies done on video games are poo poo. Being able to unscramble a dirty word faster after playing Leisure Suit Larry isn't indicative of a goddamn thing except people conducting a study with an agenda already in mind.

hahahaaaaaa

1. I can't read these studies
2. But they are poo poo anyways

nice logic

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
haha this is a treasure chest of lols

Like who knew all the nerds were so fagged up and stupid now

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

For lack of a better comic indeed.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Let me tell you about the video game surveys - this is real and its happening right now lmao

This whole thing paints a really dismal picture of academia btw, especially those painful sarkeesian lecture vids. Most of this is tax funded

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Goffer posted:

I'm sorry you're a pleb who can't read online journals or watch her videos or read her blog properly. It's hard to have a dialogue with someone who can't do basic research by themselves.

hahahaaaaaa

nice logic

Not all of them are behind paywalls, particularly the first one I asked you about. Additionally, some of the others don't even refer to gaming and appear to be copies of the first article, or random surveys. It's OK, you googled some poo poo, didn't read it, and got caught faking it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Goffer posted:

hahahaaaaaa

nice logic

The one about Larry was really lovely, though. It literally says that people exposed to sexual content think about sex more.

E: I have to admit that I missed sources for that particular video, but in the video itself she doesn't mention what studies she's referring to, so you kind of can see where my confusion stems from.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 4, 2014

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

What's Justine Tunney's opinion on chucking Zoe?

fnox
May 19, 2013

i'm gonna start doing some studies about videogames and society myself holy smokes there's money in that.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

hahahahaha. This whole thing.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Paladinus posted:

The one about Larry was really lovely, though. It literally says that people exposed to sexual content think about sex more.

"Results show that playing a video game with the theme of female “objectification” may prime thoughts related to sex, encourage men to view women as sex objects, and lead to self-reported tendencies to behave inappropriately towards women in social situations."

Yeah think about sex more, just that

fnox
May 19, 2013

please give me 20 dollars so I can read the studies.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

falcon2424 posted:

But I've literally never seen anyone mention specific things they found surprising/clever/not already on TV tropes.

Is anyone watching her videos to learn stuff? Or is it purely a shibboleth thing?

Goffer posted:

I don't know which videos you are watching but the ones I've seen specifically don't say 'Trope X is bad, every instance of it is bad' but rather they say 'this can be bad because study X, Y, Z show that objectification of women in games causes men to objectify women and treat them as lesser people IRL while at the same time affect gamer women's self esteem, self worth and etc'.

So the new-to-you info was in her discussion of the academic literature?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

President Kucinich posted:

What's Justine Tunney's opinion on chucking Zoe?

I'm pretty sure she stays away from here since last time she got herself told to shut up by google.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

Let me tell you about the video game surveys - this is real and its happening right now lmao

This whole thing paints a really dismal picture of academia btw, especially those painful sarkeesian lecture vids. Most of this is tax funded

I doubt academia really gives a poo poo about video games yet. You can publish a study about dr who fanfiction, but that doesn't mean anyone's gonna start caring.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Al Borland posted:

hahahahaha. This whole thing.

I can't stand that guy.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

gently caress the ROW posted:

It's extremely cool and funny to me that virtually everything conservatives said was wrong with academia in the 80s and 90s has actually turned out to be an understatement now.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

natetimm posted:

I'm pretty sure she stays away from here since last time she got herself told to shut up by google.

There is a severe lack of dark enlightenment involvement here and it's pissing me off.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

aegof posted:

I doubt academia really gives a poo poo about video games yet. You can publish a study about dr who fanfiction, but that doesn't mean anyone's gonna start caring.

Thre's all sorts of anime and video game majors in college I bet

We all pay to publish that study on dr who, or some fuckers stupid online poll

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

President Kucinich posted:

There is a severe lack of dark enlightenment involvement here and it's pissing me off.

well, i guess there is the one-half of the team making that Sarkeesian/SJWs-generally documentary

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

fnox posted:

please give me 20 dollars so I can read the studies.

ok - what bank account and bsb, just post it I don't have plat

falcon2424 posted:

So the new-to-you info was in her discussion of the academic literature?

No, the fact that all you got out of it was 'trope is bad'

natetimm posted:

Not all of them are behind paywalls, particularly the first one I asked you about. Additionally, some of the others don't even refer to gaming and appear to be copies of the first article, or random surveys. It's OK, you googled some poo poo, didn't read it, and got caught faking it.

I just quoted what was in the video, doofus. And objectification is larger than just videogames, but is also a part of it.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 4, 2014

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

aegof posted:

I doubt academia really gives a poo poo about video games yet.
They have for a while, search for ludology vs narratology for the fancy pants version of the "gameplay vs story" debate.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Goffer posted:

i'm not american i only have a paypal.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
In a way, we all win, when someone admits to clicking the videos

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
it's been a couple days since anything interesting happened, either we're due for another bombshell or this is gonna fizzle out

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Goffer posted:

No, the fact that all you got out of it was 'trope is bad'

I just quoted what was in the video, doofus. And objectification is larger than just videogames, but is also a part of it.

Right but most of the objectification stuff you listed is about objectifying yourself, not another character. You're really presenting arguments in a dishonest way for someone claiming to be an academic.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I like how thunderf00t talks like Anita is Whedon's hollywood producer, funding his films, rather than a critic who has previously criticized Whedon herself

Danger Mahoney posted:

are people for serious arguing about video games for realsies
No one in this thread is. However, thunderf00t is, on youtube.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

natetimm posted:

Right but most of the objectification stuff you listed is about objectifying yourself, not another character. You're really presenting arguments in a dishonest way for someone claiming to be an academic.

Ummm yeah I'm what? Here's her argument, which is what the citations are for:

quote:

So why does any of this matter? What’s the real harm in sexually objectifying women? Well, the negative impacts of sexual objectification have been studied extensively over the years and the effects on people of all genders are quite clear and very serious. Research has consistently found that exposure to these types of images negatively impacts perceptions and beliefs about real world women and reinforces harmful myths about sexual violence.

We know that women tend to internalize these types of images and self-objectify. When women begin to think of themselves as objects, and treat themselves accordingly, it results in all kinds of social issues, everything from eating disorders to clinical depression, from body shame to habitual body monitoring. We also see distinct decreases in self-worth, life satisfaction and cognitive functioning.

But the negative effects on men are just as alarming, albeit in slightly different ways. Studies have found, for example, that after having viewed sexually objectified female bodies, men in particular tend to view women as less intelligent, less competent and disturbingly express less concern for their physical well being or safety. Furthermore this perception is not limited only to sexualized women; in what’s called the “Spill Over Effect”, these sexist attitudes carry over to perceptions of all women, as a group, regardless of their attire, activities or professions.

Researchers have also found that after long-term exposure to hyper-sexualized images, people of all genders tend to be more tolerant of the sexual harassment of women and more readily accept rape myths, including the belief that sexually assaulted women were asking for it, deserved it or are the ones to blame for being victimized.

In other words, viewing media that frames women as objects or sexual playthings, profoundly impacts how real life women are perceived and treated in the world around us. And that is all without even taking into account how video games allow for the more participatory form of objectification that we’ve been discussing in this episode.

Compounding the problem is the widespread belief that, despite all the evidence, exposure to media has no real world impact. While it may be comforting to think we all have a personal force field protecting us from outside influences, this is simply not the case. Scholars sometimes refer to this type of denial as the “third person effect”, which is the tendency for people to believe that they are personally immune to media’s effects even if others may be influenced or manipulated. Paradoxically and somewhat ironically, those who most strongly believe that media is just harmless entertainment are also the ones most likely to uncritically internalize harmful media messages.

In short, the more you think you cannot be affected, the more likely you are to be affected.

makes you thinkg

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
uh wow slut shaming in the second paragraph

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
Don't blame Goffer, citing studies without having read them or knowing what is in them is standard operating procedure in D&D.

Plus, he already did more "academic research" than Anita did in all her videos combined, even if it is on its face garbage.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Polls are facts, and facts prove that I'm not as gay as ecverybody keeps saying I am :D

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
all the old video games i own keep vanishing, like im holding one and it just dissapears into thin air

they werent kidding when they said it was all over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
my academic research has proved that cunts dicks bitches cocks assholes titties

• Locked thread