Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Forums Barber posted:

Don't blame Goffer, citing studies without having read them or knowing what is in them is standard operating procedure in D&D.

Plus, he already did more "academic research" than Anita did in all her videos combined, even if it is on its face garbage.

its her research all i did was c/p because someone asked for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

coleman francis posted:

all the old video games i own keep vanishing, like im holding one and it just dissapears into thin air

they werent kidding when they said it was all over

Someone finally figured out the 9 billion names of Sonic in their fanfic.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
this poll up my rear end has demonstrated that videogames statistically gender targeted sexualisation of power violence man women

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Goffer posted:

ok fine heres some from one of them

Sexual Priming, Gender Stereotyping, and Likelihood to Sexually Harass: Examining the Cognitive Effects of Playing a Sexually-Explicit Video Game
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11199-009-9695-4

Effects of exposure to sex-stereotyped video game characters on tolerance of sexual harassment
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103108001005

lol at that first article. The second article has a better experimental process, the results certainly were statistically significant. My only issue is the while correlation exists between a higher tolerance to sexual harrassment and consumption of more sexually-charged games, I think it's a long bow to draw to attribute causation to the video games. Perhaps they consume more sexually-demeaning video games because they already have demeaning attitudes towards women, it's a circular argument.

I'd read the rest but I can't be assed, I really don't care that much.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also I actually did read those first to so AMA

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Leo Showers posted:

Also I actually did read those first to so AMA

why do you hate women?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

coleman francis posted:

why do you hate women?

i have clitoris envy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All this poo poo just feels like another thing to blame to dodge the actual problem of bad parenting. My parents were...not the best, but even they managed to teach me to not be an rear end in a top hat to someone because they are black or a woman or whatever. So kids don't learn to be decent human beings because their parents aren't, then they get on xbox live and meet shitloads of other people with the same problem and that's where you get your "toxic gamer culture" shitstorm.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
everybody itt expressing their opinion about how good or bad academia is should have to post their field of study and level of educational attainment which im sure will lead us down a very enlightening and respectful road indeed

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

everybody itt expressing their opinion about how good or bad academia is should have to post their field of study and level of educational attainment which im sure will lead us down a very enlightening and respectful road indeed

you first and then kill yourself :D

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Here's my qualifications

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress the ROW posted:

you first and then kill yourself :D

jesus christ!!!!!!!!!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Leo Showers posted:

Here's my qualifications

....it moved... :smith:

edit:

I wonder who?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 4, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If one of your heros writes about video games, you've got really lovely heroes, kid.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
one of the upshots of this is apparently there's a plethora of people with twitter handles like beautiful social justice warrior and it's all unironic. 90% of them are men naturally

Lochness_Hamster
Sep 27, 2007
the First Casualty?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

i think that hammer and sickle actually destroys the extremely kawaii vibe this tweeter is trying to create

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

....it moved... :smith:

edit:

I wonder who?

me. i walked away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGevhBNXTUs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have some bad news for you, lads. Violent video games make you aggressive.
http://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2010/mar/vvgeffects
That's conclusive.

Or not????????
http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(08)01037-8/abstract

Woah. Makes you think.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 4, 2014

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
f*ck you.. you know what... these gamers.. i'm not even going to tweet.. not even once.. consider this my official resignation from games.. god..

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lochness_Hamster posted:

the First Casualty?

http://www.patreon.com/jennfrank

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Lochness_Hamster posted:

the First Casualty?

quote:

I am a freelance journalist, and Patreon is a website I will tell you, right now, I absolutely use, not as a supplement to my income, but instead as my primary source of income.

haha

never once mentions its a video game journalist. There's like a 14 paragraph screed

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

according to myanimelist.com I've watched over a month of anime

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the only good game is rapelay

Lochness_Hamster
Sep 27, 2007
hahahahaha

gently caress you drat Facts

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Lochness_Hamster posted:

hahahahaha

gently caress you drat Facts

llllllllllllllol

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

quote:

Since 2005, I have written professionally about video games and the people who make them

a common theme in the people you find, involved with this, is that they all claim to be professional somethings, but also no one will pay them to do anything so they have to beg for money online

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
whoring yourself out on patreon is OK though

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I major-generaled in internet posting. What about you, scrub?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Sexual objectification debates are mobius strips of futility. There's not a sexually functioning person on this planet who isn't guilty of it. Sizing someone up as a physical specimen isn't aberrant, it's a basic evolutionary function.

It's obvious that sexual objectification in media has an effect on people who consume that media. That the idea is in dispute is just dumb, but the notion that the answer is stamping it out is laughable. It's Feminism's own version of Abstinence Only Sexual Education. It's a position that denies not just the most base motives of both men and women, but the overriding core purpose of life on this planet. Prayer and Sisterhood aren't going to make a dent. The solution is actual, well-reasoned education aimed at, not preventing an unpreventable thing, but to best deal with that thing so all parties are healthy and safe. That education would do more to temper sexual objectification in media simply by making people more aware of it, and less susceptible to its worst effects.

TL;DR We should all quit being a bunch of dumbass prudes, and have real discussions about sexuality.

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004
The only site I went to outta all this was the escapist to check the movie review and yahtzee

Now reading those tweets from moviebob, lmao, will stick with redletter media, people should put up a list of non douche website we can support / visit, I know techraptor is one, any others?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
you wonder how many patreon backers she'd have if she was a 300lb manatee

oh right, sexism is only ok when i'm begging for money on the internet

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I guess she was fired for talking about a friend's personal life?

edit: Ah she wrote this one:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/how-to-attack-a-woman-who-works-in-video-games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE&t=91s

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 4, 2014

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
at least she didn't call her a game dev

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the whole thing about leaving there homes is still hilarious to me, isn't that the indie game everybody loves? Your sister is gay and she Left Home? Haha

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
That Al-Jizzra article is right on the money.

You know you've done it well when both sides are whining in the comments.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

then people told her editor "hey, that person she was bravely defending? their PR manager literally gives her cash money every month."

oops

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol she's trying the "retweet ridiculous comments" thing but she's kind of doing it wrong

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

quote:

Just Jenn! (Frank) ‏@jennatar 6m
.@elektrotal No, I want people to know. It's my INTEGRITY. It's literally the only thing that matters, Shivam. This is all I have.

*wiping a tear & silently laughing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

You see, there's a thing in journalism called "objectivity"...

EDIT: It should be said, I have not once called for anyone to get fired for anything they have written or said, nor do I believe doing so is at all correct. However, Jenn Frank was fired--presumably--not for what she said, but what she didn't say, in that she did not reveal that she had a bias on the story, and her editorial--to say nothing of her behavior on social media, which whether you like it or not really matters when you are publishing stuff under your own name--all coalesced. She was dishonest, and in journalism, that's not tolerated.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 4, 2014

• Locked thread