Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Torpedoes are good on Horton Salm, but that's pretty much it for the Rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I know that T/Bs aren't great as a whole and that advanced torps are pretty crappy due to their range, but is the T/B pilot that increases range viable with them? The only issue is that you still need a way to get both a target lock and a focus before you can really fire them.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Luebbi posted:

I could use some advice regarding my next couple purchases. I was lucky to get a good deal on some used stuff, and have been buying a ship here and there, but only played the game 3-4 times, mostly with the same buddy whenever he’s too lazy to lug his Warmachine stuff over.

My goal is to have an even playing field between the two factions – both in power and skill level. While I know that TIE Swarm is pretty good, it also seems far tougher to handle (and maneuver!) than, say, a Falcon/Xwing build. Right now I feel like my rebel stuff has a slight edge to the imperium side – also I want to buy the rebel aces as soon as they come out, because I love running A-Wings.

Here’s what I’ve got right now:

2 Starter Sets

X-Wing
Y-Wing
A-Wing
B-Wing
Falcon
HWK 290

TIE Fighter
TIE Interceptor x2
TIE Advanced
Slave 1

I’ve been thinking about getting a TIE Bomber to deal with heavy stuff like the Falcon and B-Wing, but then I also heard great stuff about the Phantom. I’d also be fine with buying the Imperial Aces, but don’t know if having 4 Interceptors is the right way to go. Can you recommend the next 3-4 purchases (including the order of importance), keeping in mind that one of them will be the Rebel Aces pack?

Sorry to bring this back up, but i could really use some pointers before I go to the nerdshop tomorrow. Thanks!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would avoid Imperial Aces for now. Probably pick up a Phantom and Defender, then wait on the Decimator.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm having a problem building anything as Rebs. I have only played the game a couple times so far, but I played Empire both times and won, and it seemed to me like the way to win was to have more attack dice than the other guy, and a lot of defense dice. Fairly simple. I assume there's more to the game than this but I am not able to see it yet. I was thinking, before I really played, that the difference between rebels and empire was that rebels were more ~unique~ and empire was more uniform. This seems to be the case except I have all these pilots where I don't see all the combination potential, while empire gets Howlrunner and ships that cost 25-50% less.

I know the OP says get everything that you think looks cool, but for someone that doesn't have any restrictions on what to own other than retail availability, can someone outline for me the basic meta of the game regarding squad building for both rebels and empire, or link to a known good guide on it that won't lead me into mediocrity?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Currently the meta for empire is either TIE Fighter swarms or a Phantom or two. They both require a decent amount of skill to pull off because the swarms rely on formation flying while the Phantom need to know where to decloak so that they don't get caught in firing arcs. The new stuff is going to shake stuff up with the new Imperial big ship and the other two big ships and especially the Firespray can allow you to play around with the meta as well.

The rebels have a whole lost of list-building potentials and there is really quite a lot of different combos that work well with them. The meta at the moment is to have at least one, if not two, Millenium Falcons flying around. There are a lot of other options however: b-wings are good and are going to get better in the future once Rebel Aces is out, A-wing are mediocre but will get a lot better with Rebel Aces, x-wings have decent pilots. The old meta for the rebels was XXBB and you usually almost always want to have the B-wings with advanced sensors.

How much stuff do you have in terms of expansions? Even with base some combos are relatively easy, for example having wedge with biggs taking up his shots. I personally like the etanh (e-wing) and ten numb (b-wing) combo. Airen Cracken (Z-95) is useful in quite a lot of lists since he can give out free actions.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I'm working on an escalation list and it is harder than I thought to come up with. Sor far using what little I have I managed these lists.

60 points
Blue Squad Bwing
Prototype Awing
Rookie Xwing

90 Points
Blue Squad + FCS
Prototype + Cluster + MF
Rookie Xwing
Tarn Mison

120 Points
Blue Squad + FCS
Prototype + Cluster + MF
Rookie Xwing
Tarn Mison + R7
Biggs

150 Points
Blue Squad + FCS
Prototype + Cluster + MF
Rookie Xwing
Tarn Mison + R7
Biggs + R2D2
Blackmoon Ewing

I'm debating on the Blackmoon or the outer rim smuggler for my last ship. Any thoughts that could vastly improve this list?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tekopo posted:

How much stuff do you have in terms of expansions? Even with base some combos are relatively easy, for example having wedge with biggs taking up his shots. I personally like the etanh (e-wing) and ten numb (b-wing) combo. Airen Cracken (Z-95) is useful in quite a lot of lists since he can give out free actions.

I currently have one of everything except the rebel transport and tantive, and I don't really have any problem getting some doubles except for the retail availability of the models. I admit to diving more deeply into new hobbies than is necessary.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

signalnoise posted:

I currently have one of everything except the rebel transport and tantive, and I don't really have any problem getting some doubles except for the retail availability of the models. I admit to diving more deeply into new hobbies than is necessary.

That's what I did. I had two of most sets and four y-wings after I'd played like, three times. I had to sit back and say, "maybe I should learn how to use this stuff"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just wanna re-highlight this because it's awesome.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

alg posted:

Y'all are trolling me right

That's from the Holiday Special

Here it is in the CLone Wars, which is canon

It was also in several WEG books, it's in the FFG RPG, and it's in the video games. Just like many ships/upgrades they have made so far. S3 is fair game.

Those all come after Splinter of the Minds Eye, where it debuted. :eng101: Of course it's totally fair game, the entirety of Waves 5 and 6 are EU creations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Ville Valo posted:

Those all come after Splinter of the Minds Eye, where it debuted. :eng101: Of course it's totally fair game, the entirety of Waves 5 and 6 are EU creations.

"TIE Fighters don't have shields" is an EU creation.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

"TIE Fighters don't have shields" is an EU creation.

As is "Y-wings are slow and tough"--FFG has made it pretty clear that this is essentially the boardgame version of the videogame.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Madurai posted:

As is "Y-wings are slow and tough"--FFG has made it pretty clear that this is essentially the boardgame version of the videogame.

In case having Kyle Katarn (and Maarek Steele and Keyan Farlander) wasn't enough of a hint.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In case having Kyle Katarn (and Maarek Steele and Keyan Farlander) wasn't enough of a hint.
Scum is also adding Emon Azzameen and an Andraste firespray title from X-wing Alliance. The Devastator and Scyk are straight from Galaxies, FFG are pulling from all over the EU. I would be surprised if we don't see yt1300 cards for Ace as well, with possibilities for Aeron and a Selu title card.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

YT-2000? Could it be possible?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Eventually sure, but with the 2400 just coming out and scum having the 1300 there are probably higher priorities.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Luebbi posted:

Sorry to bring this back up, but i could really use some pointers before I go to the nerdshop tomorrow. Thanks!

I agree with alg. Phantom is single most powerful imperial ship, and the Defender comes with Outmaneuver and Predator which are great upgrades. Those will be the biggest boosts to your imperial side. Imperial Aces is great if you want the upgrade cards and Royal Guard ties, but may be redundant for you since you already have two interceptors. I'd wait on it.

To elaborate, here's what I think of the other ships you don't seem to have so far:

Tie Bomber: In my experience these don't preform great. Missles are somewhat underpowered right now, and the low PS bombers are fragile missile delivery devices. I like the Firespray better for missiles and bombs since it's likely to last long enough to use them. The most common use of a single bomber that I see these days is Captain Jonus in a Howlrunner-like role around ships with lots of secondary weapons, but that's a very specific build.

Lambda: I love the Lambda because it's a very cheap 3 attack ship. It's also hard to fly because it has the slowest dial in the game, but with practice lots of people have figured out how to fly it well. The Vader crew upgrade is nice on the Lambda and can be helpful against Phantoms. I'd get one of these if it sounds fun to you.

Z-95: I'd also pick one of these up soon when you want to buff rebels. Having a 12 point option for rebels really helps fill in squads that would otherwise need to take those points as upgrades. Also Airen Cracken has been great for me.

E-Wing: I don't use this a lot so I can't comment on it, but people seem to like it and I've played against it a lot. It's expensive but tough and maneuverable with a great attack, and the named pilots are great.

Rebel Transport: I wouldn't buy this yet unless you want to play Epic, or really want the extra X-Wing stuff.

Tantive: Same as above. You're better off just proxying C-3PO until you eventually want to buy this.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Googled this ship. Its pretty much howtoruinthemillenniumfalcon.jpg

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah the YT-2400 and YT-2000 are kind of lazy designs tbh (although I have a softspot for the YT-2400). I just remember playing X-Wing Alliance when I was young so there's that connection for me.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I dig the YT-2400 - it's clearly inspired by the Falcon but stands out as a unique ship in the same family, which was it's goal. The YT-2000 looks like a loving chop-job of a regular Falcon, though.

Having played the poo poo out of Shadows of the Empire though perhaps I'm overly nostalgic for one over the other, though.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
I've recently been bitten by the X-Wing bug and feel myself going overboard already. I literally want one of everything.

Thanks for the great advice in this thread, I now have my next purchases planned out based on usefulness in game as well as looks.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I'm having a problem building anything as Rebs. I have only played the game a couple times so far, but I played Empire both times and won, and it seemed to me like the way to win was to have more attack dice than the other guy, and a lot of defense dice. Fairly simple. I assume there's more to the game than this but I am not able to see it yet. I was thinking, before I really played, that the difference between rebels and empire was that rebels were more ~unique~ and empire was more uniform. This seems to be the case except I have all these pilots where I don't see all the combination potential, while empire gets Howlrunner and ships that cost 25-50% less.

I know the OP says get everything that you think looks cool, but for someone that doesn't have any restrictions on what to own other than retail availability, can someone outline for me the basic meta of the game regarding squad building for both rebels and empire, or link to a known good guide on it that won't lead me into mediocrity?

Just for reference, are you playing mostly with friends who are also learning the game? Or playing with people at a game shop or other league? If it's just with friends, I can sympathize that it's hard to get started building squads with all the possibilities out there now. Even when I started and wave 3 had just come out, it seemed overwhelming.

Tekopo gave a good summary of what the most common builds are, though in a less competitive environment you might not have to worry about facing those every time. If you want to see specific lists you can always look for the squads in the top 8 of various tournaments, but I'd recommend reading tournament reports by those players to see how and why they chose what they did.

Paul Heaver is particularly good at explaining his strategy and piloting, and reading his strategy behind the list that got him to the Worlds 2013 championship was helpful for me http://teamcovenant.com/pheaver/2013/11/17/playing-as-or-against-my-worlds-list/
You can also watch that championship game with commentary, and it's a pretty great game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQvcrdDZ2Oo

That tournament was from back before Imperial Aces came out, but the basic principles are the same. A squad should have some sort of basic plan or strategy for how it plays, like the above "keep Biggs at long range and get the B-Wings in close," or "engage with a Firespray/Defenders while trying to flank with a Phantom/Interceptor." When I play rebel XX** my plan is usually just to make the opponent fly through the asteroid field and try to focus fire their highest priority target, while trying not to break my squad up.

Be sure to ask more questions too, I'd write more but I'm not sure where exactly you're having trouble with building Rebel squads.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
What are some good ways to take advantage of Advanced Sensors with B-Wings? So far I've just used em to Barrel Roll before moving so I don't bump.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Another common usage is actioning before doing a red maneuver (since the B-Wing has so much red on the dial).

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ville Valo posted:

What are some good ways to take advantage of Advanced Sensors with B-Wings? So far I've just used em to Barrel Roll before moving so I don't bump.
Focusing/TLing before K-turning is also really good. You can alternate red-green maneuvers and still get full actions.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caddrel posted:

Just for reference, are you playing mostly with friends who are also learning the game? Or playing with people at a game shop or other league? If it's just with friends, I can sympathize that it's hard to get started building squads with all the possibilities out there now. Even when I started and wave 3 had just come out, it seemed overwhelming.

Right now just with friends. The problem I have right now is that it seems like with empire it's easy enough to just pick a good ship, get a lot of it for cheap, and roll around in a wing with a couple synergies. Rebel seems more like it needs very tightly directed synergies in multiple directions with a lot of modifications. I don't know how right that is on either side. I also don't really know if any of these cards that look bad are actually bad or if there are some like... modification packs or something that work well with specific dudes. I'm trying to make little mini-combos in each ship and planning to use a couple ships in formation to capitalize on stuff but then when it gets on the table those formations break up pretty quick.

Seems like it's just a really deep game to be honest.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Chiming in here that I am also getting into the game as well. Got myself the Imperial Aces, Phantom, Interceptor, starter set, extra tie fighter and Slave I and wondering if that is a fun enough set or if I want to get a lambda and defender down the road too.

Although I want the xg 1 gunboats.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Adsensors + PTL before a green maneuver for no stress next turn

Adsensors + boost before a K-turn to do a segnor's loop before they were cool.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Played 2 games with the Lambda so far and both times I've flown it off the board. To be fair one was due to a Y-Wing but yeah, I suck at flying this ship.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the Lambda really becomes easier to fly once you strap engine upgrades and advanced sensors on it. You can almost got 180 degrees with it once you do that by boosting 1 bank first and then doing a 2 sharp turn!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Right now just with friends. The problem I have right now is that it seems like with empire it's easy enough to just pick a good ship, get a lot of it for cheap, and roll around in a wing with a couple synergies. Rebel seems more like it needs very tightly directed synergies in multiple directions with a lot of modifications. I don't know how right that is on either side. I also don't really know if any of these cards that look bad are actually bad or if there are some like... modification packs or something that work well with specific dudes. I'm trying to make little mini-combos in each ship and planning to use a couple ships in formation to capitalize on stuff but then when it gets on the table those formations break up pretty quick.

I see. Yeah unfortunately there are several bad/overpriced upgrades and pilots now that some of them have been around so long. In general if I'm considering a named pilot with lots of upgrades I'll compare them to the cheapest incarnation of the ship. Ibitsam + Adv Sensors + Veteran Instincts might seem cool, but at 32 points that's a third of your squad and will die just as fast as a 24 point Blue + FCS. As a counter-example, PTL and Stealth Device on Howlrunner can be good choices, because that 6 points might buy you an extra turn of Howlrunner buff to your entire swarm.

There's no harm in experimenting though, that's how you'll learn how valuable certain abilities are. Every time I play a game I try to identify moments where I wished I had a certain upgrade or ability, and that helps when tweaking lists later.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I think the Lambda really becomes easier to fly once you strap engine upgrades and advanced sensors on it. You can almost got 180 degrees with it once you do that by boosting 1 bank first and then doing a 2 sharp turn!

That would be really cool. I guess that means I have to get a Falcon :smith: although the only reason I don't already have one is due to no stock.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CODChimera posted:

That would be really cool. I guess that means I have to get a Falcon :smith: although the only reason I don't already have one is due to no stock.

Check your local Barnes & Nobles. They get Falcons regularly, I'm guessing because of inventory shifting.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

signalnoise posted:

What list are you musing right now? I'm really interested because I usually find it's Empire which gets beaten when people are new to the game (assuming both players are new).

e:I've assembled a comedy squad for the next game I get, it totals 98 points.

Sigma Squadron Pilot w/ Stygium Particle Accelerator (27)
Sigma Squadron Pilot w/ Stygium Particle Accelerator (27)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

So many generics I know, so few hit points sure. The essential point of this squad for me is just to shoot rebs and have fun, as a plus it does actually kick out some serious dice, if the Sigmas can survive to actually decloak it'll be pretty rad.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 4, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Googled this ship. Its pretty much howtoruinthemillenniumfalcon.jpg

I dunno, I've always wanted a Millennium Falcon that looks like it has a big metal dick in the middle of it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

What list are you musing right now? I'm really interested because I usually find it's Empire which gets beaten when people are new to the game (assuming both players are new).

I don't really have a list I'm looking at using. I can tell you though that so far every game I've played has been won by Empire because of stats. Like the first game I played with one of my friends we did 50 points, and I intentionally took the Falcon just to teach that friend the lesson that, even though he's like "Aw you took the big ship guess I'm gonna lose," I lost that game because he had 2 interceptors and could hit me for 3 and I could only block 1. The difference between each point of attack and defense is pretty staggering.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Who were you using? Was it just a naked Han Solo? Cause even then you should have been able to dispatch 2 inties relatively easily with a YT-1300, especially since the inties can't evade your firing arcs. The difference between 6 total hull for an intie and 5 shields/8 hull for the YT is quite considerable.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Who were you using? Was it just a naked Han Solo? Cause even then you should have been able to dispatch 2 inties relatively easily with a YT-1300, especially since the inties can't evade your firing arcs. The difference between 6 total hull for an intie and 5 shields/8 hull for the YT is quite considerable.

It was Chewbacca with some upgrades. He may have just gotten lucky on dice, I got a hit on him but they tore me apart, and I'm ok with that. The important part to me is that we both came away with the idea that the game is good and we should play more. Now I just dunno what to take in the next game. Maybe I'm thinking there's more to combos than there actually is, but I keep running into problems like uhh

Garvan Dreis: After spending a focus token, you may place that token on any other friendly ship at Range 1-2 (instead of discarding it). + Deadeye on his buddy allows you to use a focus token in place of a Target Lock. So I want to take focus on both, spend Garvan's token, then drop a Target Lock attack on someone with a focus available for the roll in the same turn. But in order to do that, Garvan has to shoot before the person who would take Garvan's focus token, meaning they have to shoot after Garvan, but Garvan only has 6 pilot skill, so finding exactly the right pilot and ship to do that for is getting rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you are playing casual, just proxy in R2-D6 (gives you EPT for 1 point) and then get Veteran Instinct to boost that to PS 8. Also deadeye only works for Torpedoes/Missiles (if you are starting out I would avoid these completely).

I find that smaller synergies (for example, having Biggs fly next to someone with a lot of damage potential) are more useful than elaborate combos that stop being viable as soon as poo poo hits the fan.

• Locked thread