Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

I remember hearing about folks getting color samples or something, I think it was more of a piece of the production process and testing colors or the print, rather than a page that a single artist had done.

I actually have the color sample pages of an entire issue of Starman.

Not the Jack Knight series by Robinson, but the previous Starman series, with Will Payton and his mullet.

It's the issue where he teams up with Phantom Lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Now that SDCC is over, I'm expecting to see some good loot!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I mostly struck out with originals at SDCC this year (some great Mondo posters but not so much originals). Terry Dodson is supposed to mail me something in the next week or two which I'm excited for but other than that, I really just got 2 pieces.

Batman quick sketch from Chip Zdarsky

He knocked this out in like 3 minutes. It's fantastic. The words make it.

Sailor Jupiter from Chrissie Zullo

Chrissie was super excited for this since she told me she was just getting into Sailor Moon and it shows. I'm a huge fan of her work and she's so awesome to deal with. If you have a chance, get something from her, you won't ever be disappointed.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 2, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's interesting how different Chrissie Zullo's commissions are from a few years ago, this was from 2010:

She's come a really long way. I bought a Madame Xanadu page from her, and she made me promise never to sell it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

It's interesting how different Chrissie Zullo's commissions are from a few years ago, this was from 2010:

She's come a really long way. I bought a Madame Xanadu page from her, and she made me promise never to sell it.

Yeah, it's weird, every year she's doing something else (this is not a bad thing). Last year she was doing blue line pencils for everything and the perspective was more in line with what you posted. This year she's messing with copics and doing more head shots.

She's a fantastic artist and a joy to talk to every year. Everyone should own at least one Chrissie Zullo commission.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does she have a website or anything, I'd certainly like to commission her.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Does she have a website or anything, I'd certainly like to commission her.

http://chrissiezullo.tumblr.com/

That's her tumblr. It includes a list of appearances for upcoming cons she'll be at. If she's not going somewhere you'll be at, you may want to contact her. I think she only does con commissions but you may be able to work something out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Awesome, thanks! I only go to a couple cons a year, I'll see what I can work out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

One of these days when I figure out how to post pics, I'll share some Art Baltazar art my friends and I got. Batcow (with Robin Robin), Batmite, Hawkeye, Deathstroke, and naked Wolverine. Also, he does a funny Winter Soldier and Red Hulk. Best thing a dollar can by.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Awesome, thanks! I only go to a couple cons a year, I'll see what I can work out.

She's also repped by Comic Art House. If you follow them on facebook, they'll post if her commission list opens up. I've gotten a few commissions from other artists this way through them.

Die Laughing posted:

One of these days when I figure out how to post pics, I'll share some Art Baltazar art my friends and I got. Batcow (with Robin Robin), Batmite, Hawkeye, Deathstroke, and naked Wolverine. Also, he does a funny Winter Soldier and Red Hulk. Best thing a dollar can by.

Love to see them - just create a quick imgur account and post em!

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

RevKrule posted:

She's a fantastic artist and a joy to talk to every year. Everyone should own at least one Chrissie Zullo commission.
I really need to get to a con and get something from her in person, but I definitely agree that she's fantastic and everyone should own something from her. I don't usually buy non-issue based art, but I kept thinking she'd be the perfect person to get Death. Happen to luck upon this beauty just as it was posted:

I love the background and colors she used so much.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Terry Dodson finished my commission from SDCC. It's supposed to be Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite but he sorta morphed it into one of his Coraline girls. I'm not complaining because at the end of the day, I still own a Dodson original and he always knocks it out of the park with his Coraline girls.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Terry Dodson finished my commission from SDCC. It's supposed to be Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite but he sorta morphed it into one of his Coraline girls. I'm not complaining because at the end of the day, I still own a Dodson original and he always knocks it out of the park with his Coraline girls.

Beautiful piece!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a thread for places to buy actual issues? I wanted to get my dad some of the older marvel titles from the 60's (preferably graded) for Christmas and I have no idea where to look. Or where a good place to look would be.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a thread for places to buy actual issues? I wanted to get my dad some of the older marvel titles from the 60's (preferably graded) for Christmas and I have no idea where to look. Or where a good place to look would be.

Honestly, and I hate saying this, eBay's the best place I've found. A lot of local places will mark up the prices of regular issues, especially older issues because they're catering to a local audience. There are places like midtown comics which does online sales but most of that's modern stuff. Ebay ends up giving you a good price as a buyer, especially if it's a reasonably common issue.

I've purchased multiple issues off of ebay because my local selling wanted twice going rate. I've also purchased some slabbed issues that have shown up just fine. If you're looking to do slabbing yourself, it'll be about $40-$50/book on the cheapest side with shipping and can take a while to get back. I submitted a few books at a local con back in June, I paid to the extra $10 to get them fast tracked and just got them back mid-August.

As for there being a thread, there is not, but that doesn't mean there can't be. Maybe hit up the derail/chat thread as well.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 4, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

That is a gorgeous piece.

Only one month till NYCC! Unfortunately, I think I'll have to be a bit restrained this year, what with the new baby and all.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

At first I was disappointed with it but the more I look at it the more I like it. It's got a lot of awesome layers to it and it's one of those "sexy without being scandalous" pieces.

I'm not going to NYCC but I am still getting a commission. Robbi Rodriguez is doing mail commissions again this year for NYCC and I'm finally flush enough to get a decent mail piece again. If you're in need of a Spider-Gwen, now's your chance. Prices are very reasonable. He has both mail and pick up available.
http://cadenceselect.bigcartel.com/category/commissions

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
I don't collect much of peoples' work. Years ago I dropped by Becky Cloonan's table at Small Press Expo after seeing her at other events. I think this was during Demo. I flipped through her big book, liked this drawing, and made an offer. Ink on bristol cut to 8.5" x 14".

If you're around DC, go to SPX this weekend. If something catches your eye, go for it. Make an artist happy.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I really liked her work in Demo, and Northlanders.

SPX looks neat - I'm starting to look into smaller conventions, getting tickets to NYCC was a bit ridiculous this year (although not SDCC level yet), and I'm worried it's just going to get harder next year. I'm hoping they do Special Edition again, since that was most of the stuff I cared about from NYCC anyways.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If I didn't live in the middle of the country, I'd really be all over smaller shows. As it stands, I have one real mega-ish show I can go to (Denver Comic Con) and I try to get to SDCC every year.

Maybe if I can't get into SDCC I'll try like C2E2 or Heroes or something else but vacation allocation just doesn't allow for more than one out of state show a year.

That's an awesome pickup from Cloonan though. I love her stuff and wish I could've gotten some of it before she got super huge. Now I can't afford most of it :(

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are there any good walmart/target frames that are close to the size of a comic book? I was looking to frame a couple and wasn't sure if professional framing was my only option or not.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is almost certainly the tutorial you're looking for:
http://www.yousephtanha.com/blog/2011/05/02/ikea-comic-book-photo-frame-hack/

It does require an IKEA though. Although if you look online, you can find the dimensions and probably mock it up with a different company frame.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ryan Kelly is selling Star Wars pages at really good prices.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110512061814280183442/albums/6061568060215069185

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Are there any good walmart/target frames that are close to the size of a comic book? I was looking to frame a couple and wasn't sure if professional framing was my only option or not.

I got a nice frame from a comic show. You have to have the book bagged and boarded because there's no glass, but it still looks slick for $15. There's also double frames for books with connecting covers. I'll see if they have a website when I get home.

And if I ever figure out how to work Imgur, I got a few Art Baltazar pieces to show off.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Figured I'd post my NYCC pick ups from Thursday and Friday. Going in a bit later today since I didn't get VIP tickets, and don't feel like waiting in line in the rain to get in.

Dustin Nguyen - Batgirl
Dustin continues to be one of my favorite artists, it's a big piece at 11x17

Michelle Delecki - Poison Ivy
Her booth didn't stand out to me, but looking at the charity auction pieces, she has a pretty awesome catwoman, so we checked her out, and picked this up.

Tony Moy - Zealot
My wife got into comics reading WILD Cats of all things, so this was a nostalgia purchase for her:

Amy Mebberson - Batgirl
Gonna frame this and hang it up in my daughter's room.

Gary Brown - Constantine:

Chris Mooneyham - Winter Soldier

Sabine Rich - Rouge

Thony Silas - Iron Fist

Got two more commissions lined up, gonna see what cheap/free sketches I can get today, and then the charity auction tonight. I'm actually staying in budget this time!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That Dustin Nguyen Batgirl is so good it hurts. I keep wanting a piece from him but he doesn't do commissions at SDCC and I keep forgetting to hit him up when I have money outside of con.

Also I always love Amy Mebberson's style. Her and James Silvani are my fave disney style artists. All around great pickups so far.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That Batgirl rules, how much did it set you back?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm assuming you mean the Dustin, it was $1200. Which is a lot, but it's a big piece, and I don't mind dropping the cash with him - probably because he's the nicest artist I've ever met at a con. Dude comments on the pictures of my baby on facebook.

Since the Batgirl chewed up most of my budget, I was pretty restrained at the charity auction. Got a couple ok pieces for cheap, but the main score was this Lynne Yoshi Black Widow:

Have a Chrisse Zullo Rouge to pick up today, but that'll probably be it for this con.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 12, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Goddamn, $1200? I wish I had that kind of money to spend on original art. :sigh:

That Black Widow is righteous too, dare I ask how much that was? :ohdear:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Widow was a more reasonable $200. Her con commissions are around $50 if I recall, and this one is bigger and in full color, so I thought it was a pretty good price. Charity auctions are really a great place to get cheaper pieces if you don't mind less selection.

I do save up all year to splurge at nycc, although this is probably the last year I'm going to be able to spend this kind of cash on art. What with the baby and all.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 12, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ryan Kelly setup a store envy store for a quick November sale. Nothing over $50. Get it quick

http://ryankellyart.storenvy.com/

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Hope everyone is having a good holiday - got a commission from Danielle Otrakji for my birthday:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

FINALLY got my commission from Robbi Rodriguez from NYCC. His dealer was always available as an intermediary and always responsive to any emails I had so I was never concerned I wouldn't get it, it just took a while.

The concept was a SoCal style Ariel, Jasmine and Belle and I love how it came out. Thinking of some other princesses to continue the style next time he opens up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's great. Hope you don't mind I shared that with a friend who is a party princess, and all around Disneyphile

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

That's great. Hope you don't mind I shared that with a friend who is a party princess, and all around Disneyphile

As long as you're not trying to pass it off as art you made, I don't care :). I love knowing other people are enjoying it. One of the greatest thrills I get is every so often I'll see a piece I own pop up in my twitter or tumblr feed from someone totally different and unexpected as a piece they like too.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Very cool, the splashes of color really do a good job framing the figures.

As a side note, for those in the NYC area, Special Edition tickets go on sale next Wed. It's run by ReedPop, who does NYCC as well. It was a pretty good comic focused con last year with a decent selection of artists attending. With any luck, this year will be an improvement. With NYCC getting harder to get into, I'm hoping it turns into a good alternative for getting commissions and original art.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Con season has started (ECCC last weekend, Wondercon this weekend). Anyone get anything yet this year?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

RevKrule posted:

Con season has started (ECCC last weekend, Wondercon this weekend). Anyone get anything yet this year?

I did, but I got rid of my scanner so it's hard to get good shots of it.

from Cat Farris, who's part of the Periscope Studios crew

From Tom Fowler

Both at ECCC.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That Cap & Bucky is adorable. I'll have to keep Cat Farris in mind for future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I was going to post after a local con next week (East Coast Comic Con), I did pick up pg 1 from Dark Reign: The Cabal #1 at Comic Art Con a few weeks ago:

Adi is one of the primary people I'm trying to get a commission from these days, just not having a lot of luck getting on his list.

Comic Art Con was an interesting experience, it was only one large hotel ballroom, ringed with original art vendors and a couple people selling stuff out of their own collections. Lot of cool stuff to see, but it seemed like a lot of people there had known each other for a while, so if felt like there werea lot of insider deals going on.

• Locked thread