Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

:psyduck:

How the gently caress does this work?

I'm glad you asked. Black people are only worth the bare minimum we're allowed to pay them. If we raise the minimum wage beyond what a black is worth, they will lose their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Mr. Cruz, what's this next chapter about what happened to those Democrats aft...you need the book back? Okay.
Haha if you think a wealthy shill from the WSJ would actually address this in his right-wing screed

quote:

all the handouts to blacks have kept blacks in the poorhouse

quote:

Did you know before we had minimum wage laws black unemployment and white unemployment were the same? If we increase the minimum wage, black unemployment will skyrocket
Are these Real Things, or are they "real things" like "Republicans freed the slaves and passed the civil rights act and fought the racist Democrats"? Cause holy poo poo [citation needed] if it's the former.

edit: Should have refreshed, but I'm actually curious

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xibanya posted:

The resistance is probably people not wanting to believe that something they learned and spent a lot of time on is not useful. They insist it is useful so they don't have to live with what they see as the painful reality that it's not.

Yeah, people hate having to consider that what they learned in public school 30 years ago was dumb and wrong.

Recently my mother and her middle aged friend completely rejected the potential link between ambient lead pollution and crime, calling it absurd and unworthy of consideration. The fact that they had no other explanation for continually dropping violent crime rates did not impact their rejection of this claim.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Reminder: Hannity actually reads the mean poo poo you send to him on Twitter.

Everybody with a Twitter go encourage his ninja video.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah, people hate having to consider that what they learned in public school 30 years ago was dumb and wrong.

Recently my mother and her middle aged friend completely rejected the potential link between ambient lead pollution and crime, calling it absurd and unworthy of consideration. The fact that they had no other explanation for continually dropping violent crime rates did not impact their rejection of this claim.

You could have them try this one on for size: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalized_abortion_and_crime_effect

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'm glad you asked. Black people are only worth the bare minimum we're allowed to pay them. If we raise the minimum wage beyond what a black is worth, they will lose their job.

But what's the number? Maybe some fraction of the current wage. 2/3? No, that still feels a bit high... but not half, that's maybe too low. I dunno, somewhere in between those.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
wrong thread

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

That's a tough one to accept because it has implications that are completely incompatible with the "personal responsibility" ideology.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

But what's the number? Maybe some fraction of the current wage. 2/3? No, that still feels a bit high... but not half, that's maybe too low. I dunno, somewhere in between those.
It's 0. You should pay a one time fee and own one forever.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

If only I was as smart as a WSJ reporter...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/03/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-united-states-isis-sean-hannity

So Phil Robertson is literally calling for a Christian Jihad?

Also why are we asking for his opinion on anything. Why does this man have a television show?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/03/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-united-states-isis-sean-hannity

Also why are we asking for his opinion on anything. Why does this man have a television show?
Dumbass hicks watch TV, too.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

I've read some history books and it turns out there was a time when black unemployment was essentially zero!

And not only was there no minimum wage, there was no wage at all :v:

Some one go write a WSJ editorial educating those blacks on the good old days.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

FuzzySkinner posted:

1) Hannity specifically, trolling generally
2) Addiction to reality TV formatting with added christian sauce

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Civil Rights Act voting explanation:

If you look at the vote totals, it is true that Republicans had a higher proportion of support for the CRA of 1964. In both chambers, 80+% of Republicans voted in favor, and neither house managed 2/3 Democratic support. However, this comes from the Southern contingents in both parties; there were very few votes for it in the South regardless of label, but a lot more Southern Democrats were willing to back it than Southern Republicans. If you look at the votes split by party, region, and house every single section has a higher percentage of Democratic support than Republican; very few non-Southern Democrats voted against, but a fair number of non-Southern Republicans did.

The numbers:

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)
The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%) (John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)
Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Phil Robertson: foreign policy expert

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ugh, the Taliban is leaking again. :jihad:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

To beat ISIS, we must become them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

To beat ISIS, we must become them.

No, they must become us :getin:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Hazo posted:

Haha if you think a wealthy shill from the WSJ would actually address this in his right-wing screed

Are these Real Things, or are they "real things" like "Republicans freed the slaves and passed the civil rights act and fought the racist Democrats"? Cause holy poo poo [citation needed] if it's the former.

edit: Should have refreshed, but I'm actually curious

Basically it ignores the fact that the Democratic Party was conservative to the core. They were the Confederate Party: supremely racist, socially conservative, and anti-Federalist. The Republican Party wanted to win in the south, so they messaged their way to being the Conservative White Party Of The South, and the Democrats began attracting the progressives and liberals that the Southern Strategy forced out of the Republican party.

Now, I find it funny that "blacks will lose their jobs if the minimum wage is increased" is NOT an indictment of racist hiring policies country wide. Somehow it's the black community that loses when jobs become more "expensive". Rather than place blame where it belongs (a failing economy and deep seated racism), Cruz Sr. claims that minimum wage itself is the culprit.

Edit: Basically, the modern GOP is more in line with the Confederate Democrats (Dixicrats) than the Republicans of the Civil Rights era (and especially the Log Cabin Republicans of the Civil War era).

anonumos fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 4, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Are you saying that word order, choice, and editing are important? I agree with that, I just don't see the point of preferencing one kind of physical writing style over the other. 99% of everything I've ever written has been by using a keyboard, and I can slow down and print on the rare occasions I need to do something like fill out physical paperwork or write a letter to my elderly relatives.

How to write as in the art of writing is far more important than how to write as in the literal process of pen on paper.

I agree with most of this, except for the part I bolded, because that's loving impossible. And if it is somehow true, than maybe the world really has passed me by. Maybe you got me wrong. I don't know. I took my kid to the doctor today and received a hand written prescription to drop off at the pharmacy. It might be cool if it were legible.

The last two times I took out a mortgage, or bought insurance on those properties, the forms were filled in by hand. The last several times I've enrolled my boy in school, took him to the doctor or the dentist; those have all been filled out by hand. Even registering to vote or getting driver's a license I had to fill out those forms by hand. I'm not saying I did it in cursive but being able to read the motherfucker seems rather important, which was my original point.

Radish posted:

The American dream as told by various OpEd writers is to slave away 60 hour weeks for whatever pay and meager benefits (if any) your boss deems fit, have no recreation time, and to thank the job creators for their generosity. To anyone not already in the fold that's a really hard sell.

Conservatism itself is a pyramid scheme so you always need new marks to keep it going.

You're also supposed to find time to raise your kids properly, spend quality time with them, volunteer and attend church every Sunday. I think the Republican platform should simply be "Sleep is for the Weak", "Freedom Means Always Working" or something along those lines. Because that's what they seem to think "freedom" is.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 4, 2014

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

anonumos posted:

Edit: Basically, the modern GOP is more in line with the Confederate Democrats (Dixicrats) than the Republicans of the Civil Rights era (and especially the Log Cabin Republicans of the Civil War era).

But people are easily fooled, so.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Part of the party switching thing is that there were both conservative and liberal wings in the Republican Party too before the 1960s. Especially in the Midwest, when Republicans today say they've always been Republicans that is usually true; It was Republicans in New York and California and the Dixiecrats who switched parties. Take Romney for example, he's definitely further right than his father was, but it's not like the Romney family were ever Dixiecrats. The former conservative wing of the GOP never actually went away and went on to become (what remains of) the GOP establishment.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 4, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The progressive wing of the Republican Party lost out to the business wing sometime around Warren G Harding and that's been their platform ever since. Racism and religion were just the things to make it palatable after the New Deal made right wing economics political poison.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There isn't anything about that that can't be explained by the investment theory of party competition. Farming and oil were once extremely labor intensive, now they are more capital intensive.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The last two times I took out a mortgage, or bought insurance on those properties, the forms were filled in by hand. The last several times I've enrolled my boy in school, took him to the doctor or the dentist; those have all been filled out by hand. Even registering to vote or getting driver's a license I had to fill out those forms by hand. I'm not saying I did it in cursive but being able to read the motherfucker seems rather important, which was my original point.

But filling out forms is hardly any writing at all. Just the one paragraph I quoted above is more words than I have ever put onto a DMV form. And the last couple times I needed to do DMV paperwork, it was done online. I've been doing my taxes online for years. Buying my house was mostly signatures and initials. Going in for a physical is my name, address, insurance card number and maybe 5 words of pertinent medical history.

Learning to hand write things is still important. But so much is done online now, and when it isn't it is usually converted to digital right away. Even when I do fill out a form by hand at the DMV or doctors office, the first thing they do with it is start entering what I hand wrote into a computer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't wait for (PLEASE PRINT) to be the new Press 1 for English.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Sean Hannity just said he's going to make a video of his "ninja workout" and play the Rocky theme over it and then juxtapose some Obama pussy workout video where he'll play It's Raining Men over it because our commander in chief is a gay little bitch and so he doesn't deserve respect.

God please let this happen. I can only dream of the Hannity ninja remix videos.

Has he agreed to be waterboarded yet to prove it's not torture? Like he promised and said he would? Man up Sean, you tough guy, you.

Never even mind that. What I learned in college was dumb and wrong and has turned out to be largely useless. And I went into a lot of debt for that worthless knowledge.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Everybody with a Twitter go encourage his ninja video waterboarding experiment.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Who asked him? Who's "we"?

Oh, he's rich and a celebrity therefore we should...wait...I though we were supposed to hate and ignore those TV people. I am very confused. As far as I can tell, he's the redneck Kardashian. Is that about right?

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

But filling out forms is hardly any writing at all.

Learning to hand write things is still important. But so much is done online now, and when it isn't it is usually converted to digital right away. Even when I do fill out a form by hand at the DMV or doctors office, the first thing they do with it is start entering what I hand wrote into a computer.

This is getting to be a bit of a silly dumb derail but, having been one of those people whose job it was to have to "convert it to digital", being able to read the motherfucking form helps tremendously.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 4, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree with most of this, except for the part I bolded, because that's loving impossible. And if it is somehow true, than maybe the world really has passed me by. Maybe you got me wrong. I don't know. I took my kid to the doctor today and received a hand written prescription to drop off at the pharmacy. It might be cool if it were legible.

Doctors have been writing illegibly since my great grandpa was a kid, man. Anyway you do a ton more writing on after school homework, forums, social media, chat etc throughout your life than writing things out by hand.

Sure you do a couple forms a year in hand writing, maybe. But that's not very much writing, you fill in like 30 fields on a few pages.

Plus being able to write in cursive doesn't mean you can read in cursive and vice versa. A ton of forms of cursive, especially old ones, are loving opaque to me unless I'm taking minutes per line to puzzle poo poo out, and I was "good" at cursive in elementary school.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

It's 0. You should pay a one time fee and own one forever.

In the spirit of the question, that was a good answer, but I think the one he was angling for was 3/5ths.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

moths posted:

Is Obama still ripped? Does he not remember those beach vacation photos?

Hannity is probably really built though. I think the comparison video is going to convert a lot of the non-believers.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
3/5ths would be a compromise, and we don't do that anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Doctors have been writing illegibly since my great grandpa was a kid, man. Anyway you do a ton more writing on after school homework, forums, social media, chat etc throughout your life than writing things out by hand.

Sure you do a couple forms a year in hand writing, maybe. But that's not very much writing, you fill in like 30 fields on a few pages.

There are a lot of forms (especially Federal Government stuff) that are basically "fill in this PDF and print" as well.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Some pretty good quotes on here (stolen from the toons thread). It's got a facebook thing at the bottom that's filling up steadily, although half seem to not appreciate the greatness of this webpage.

http://obamagolfcounter.com/

quote:

It is way too obvious that Barack can't operate a country. He doesn't even give a drat that I work approximately 85 hours a week to pay for his stupid Obama care and phones for worthless bastards, and I can't afford to buy clothes for my daughter. Obama can suck my forclosure papers. And my truck repo papers. What a worthless excuse for a president

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

BiggerBoat posted:

You're also supposed to find time to raise your kids properly, spend quality time with them, volunteer and attend church every Sunday. I think the Republican platform should simply be "Sleep is for the Weak", "Freedom Means Always Working" or something along those lines. Because that's what they seem to think "freedom" is.

So what you're saying is the GOP's motto is "Work will make you free"? Hm. *ponders* I've seen that somewhere before...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This week NPR has been giving the MRA movement their "equal time" treatment and it's :psyduck: in every way, to the degree that they're even name-dropping MRA websites for listeners to check out.

Is there any reason at all for this to be happening?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moths posted:

This week NPR has been giving the MRA movement their "equal time" treatment and it's :psyduck: in every way, to the degree that they're even name-dropping MRA websites for listeners to check out.

As long as they're not mentioning Gamergate that's pretty moderate regarding contemporary MRA stuff.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

moths posted:

The prospect of a Hillary Presidency is making misogyny the new gay marriage.

Fake Edit: I've said it before but it bears repeating, the only thing greater than the racism of this new GOP is its misogyny. As bad as the racism flung at Obama has been, it is my contention that the misogyny about to be unleashed will be much louder and much more vicious.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah RWM is seriously doubling down on misogyny and it's loving incomprehensible. They're inviting women to play along, with "I strayed from the kitchen and it sucked!" rhetoric which only makes sense in the context of assholes making GBS threads themselves in fear of a lady president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Sir Tonk posted:

Some pretty good quotes on here (stolen from the toons thread). It's got a facebook thing at the bottom that's filling up steadily, although half seem to not appreciate the greatness of this webpage.

http://obamagolfcounter.com/

It's magical.

:allears: