Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Calling people big babies for using #Gamergate on twitter is more fun than it should be because man these people are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

oh man, I want to listen to that show.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

*Contemplates mouthing off to tall, muscular man in person, shits self, claims sniffles*

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fnox posted:

like, holy poo poo the IGF submission form explicitely tells you there's no real platform restrictions, if they actually have a problem with judges getting runtime errors the least they can loving do is tell people what the review machines are gonna be like in terms of specs.
Their submission form (at least, last year's form) notes/noted that all judges will go to great lengths to get your game to run. If it needs specific hardware, they'll do their best to get it!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

he gonna dodge

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
it's almost as if the number of tweets you make is proportional to how big a piece of poo poo you are

makes you think

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i'm super busy tryin to lure these goblins into my horrible vagina cave, you expect me to actually run these games? There's only four weeks in a month try getting some perspective

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think harassment over the internet is a hosed thing but I will agree with Mr. Creator that people just need to loving walk away from Twitter once in a while

Tin Soldier
Apr 13, 2005

All these journalists on twitter losing their loving minds over this chick getting fired from the guardian has been the best part of this so far.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Some of these Twitter people are saying "you can't get fired if you're a freelancer" and they seem to be missing the implication of a publication like The Guardian saying "we're not interested in your services anymore"

also they think The Guardian is only bending to loving "gamer" pressure which is incredibly dumb. it's far more likely the guardian got pissed off that a freelancer was putting one over on them with an article defending someone whose salary they pay

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

We had a firing? :siren:
My god there is some integrity out there!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You see, there's a thing in journalism called "objectivity"...

EDIT: It should be said, I have not once called for anyone to get fired for anything they have written or said, nor do I believe doing so is at all correct. However, Jenn Frank was fired--presumably--not for what she said, but what she didn't say, in that she did not reveal that she had a bias on the story, and her editorial--to say nothing of her behavior on social media, which whether you like it or not really matters when you are publishing stuff under your own name--all coalesced. She was dishonest, and in journalism, that's not tolerated.

fnox
May 19, 2013

if you're somewhat of a big deal and you don't like having people harass you on twitter get somebody else to run your account for you. there's people that will readily do that for you so you don't have to sift through poo poo to get something good out of it.

I don't understand why most of these people complaining about harassment don't do that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Al Borland posted:

We had a firing? :siren:
My god there is some integrity out there!

Naythan Grayson also no longer appears on the RPS staff list despite having been listed earlier in August, but that might just be people shuffling around in the profession.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Naythan Grayson also no longer appears on the RPS staff list despite having been listed earlier in August, but that might just be people shuffling around in the profession.

hes at kotaku

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Apparently she technically quit the Guardian. Of course my guess is she was probably persuaded to quit/leave gracefully because she and the rest of the sj crew seem really upset about it.

Tin Soldier
Apr 13, 2005

fnox posted:

if you're somewhat of a big deal and you don't like having people harass you on twitter get somebody else to run your account for you. there's people that will readily do that for you so you don't have to sift through poo poo to get something good out of it.

I don't understand why most of these people complaining about harassment don't do that.

Because they want to be harassed so they can cry about what victims they are.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

The White Dragon posted:

There was a pretty clear 'I'm leaving' article several weeks ago, way before this whole debacle. He left to work for Kotaku

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

fnox posted:

like, holy poo poo the IGF submission form explicitely tells you there's no real platform restrictions, if they actually have a problem with judges getting runtime errors the least they can loving do is tell people what the review machines are gonna be like in terms of specs.

haha dude you dont understand. the Judges have NO OBLIGATION to even look at your game. They're assigned it but most don't even play the games.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I mean... seriously... she wrote an article about her friend who's PR manager pays her... Is it really that hard to see how that's even a little wrong?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What about Ben Kuchara!?

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

wow some people are really desperate to convince themselves that their ba in sociology was not a complete loving waste.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
to win the $20k indie game jam game prize you have to complete the following cuckstackle course

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I mean... seriously... she wrote an article about her friend who's PR manager pays her... Is it really that hard to see how that's even a little wrong?

It's hilarious to me, since conflict of interest is one of of the first things you learn about as a journalism major. There's a line, and if you're dancing around it you're not fulfilling your obligations as an unbiased observer.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The White Dragon posted:

oh god i hope for a double fire. I think I'mma dust off my resume and apply to be a game journalist so I too can be mocked.

My main objective though is to program and design a bot that will do the reviews for me. Basically mad-libs for game reviews. Then reveal years later I never played a game and my program did it all for me after I simply typed the game name and a few pronouns for characters.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can someone summarize the whole jenn frank thing

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

It's hilarious to me, since conflict of interest is one of of the first things you learn about as a journalism major. There's a line, and if you're dancing around it you're not fulfilling your obligations as an unbiased observer.

But Zoe Quinn said that the journalists are just bloggers!

fnox
May 19, 2013

Al Borland posted:

haha dude you dont understand. the Judges have NO OBLIGATION to even look at your game. They're assigned it but most don't even play the games.

that applies to like every kind of contest of this type though, however it's really hosed up that they don't have the decency of emailing you like "your poo poo don't work, here's the error that it's giving me". like, any game dev contest I've been on people have done that.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

The REAL Goobusters posted:

the latest and best in a constant stream of live meltdowns from game journalist citizen bloggers

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Apparently she technically quit the Guardian. Of course my guess is she was probably persuaded to quit/leave gracefully because she and the rest of the sj crew seem really upset about it.

She claimed that her piece originally included a disclosure about her connections to Zoe and Anita but that the Guardian decided it wasn't necessary and omitted it. The only plausible reason for the Guardian to be pissed about this would be if she loving lied about them knowing of her conflict of interest.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

fnox posted:

that applies to like every kind of contest of this type though, however it's really hosed up that they don't have the decency of emailing you like "your poo poo don't work, here's the error that it's giving me". like, any game dev contest I've been on people have done that.

oh lol not even that though. Like they dont even play some of them or try to.

They give zero feedback or cool game is theo nly thing they say most of the time.

Please give them 100 dollars for this prestige:buddy:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/jennatar/status/507370368554635264

What the gently caress does this even mean? That this person couldn't handle their workload, and also throws in their gender because that matters?

quote:

At some point, when you're being asked to be a woman, a journo, a dev, a writer, you're gonna flip out, okay. A freelancer, a salary-writer.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Ima junarlist *writes article for actual newspaper* *fucks up day one basic journalism*

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
This might be the new mascot that Reddit puts in the TFYC game: Gilda Mars

https://twitter.com/TFYCapitalists/status/507374080858013697/photo/1

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Did the original draft simply mention that she knew Anita/Zoe or did it also mention that Maya (AKA Legobutts, Anita's and Zoe's PR Manager) was funding her Patreon?

Honestly I think we're going to see a lot of Patreon Laundering going on in the near future.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

freelance writer wrote an online article for the guardian about the attacks on anita sarkeesian and zoe quinn from a position of strong support for them. the guardian then updated the article to clarify that jenn frank is a strong supporter of zoe quinn and her work, and also has met anita sarkeesian in person, which were somewhat relevant facts that were omitted. she's no longer writing for the guardian

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Phil Fish speaks https://twitter.com/MikeMcWhertor

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

To be fair, even if he wanted to (which would be understandable,) it seems pretty obvious at this point that Jeff had laid down the law regarding his employees getting involved in this.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Maxwell Adams posted:

That is terrible.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

well if reddit is doing the thing now too 4chan has to go back to not raising money for women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

• Locked thread