Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dunno, I like the new designs because they actually look younger. Jotaro is supposed to be like 17 or something and he looks like he's a 30 year old body-builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

cmykjester posted:

I dunno, I like the new designs because they actually look younger. Jotaro is supposed to be like 17 or something and he looks like he's a 30 year old body-builder.

This is the beauty of early Jojo's

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

cmykjester posted:

Yet he now looks baby faced as a 40~ year old man in Stone Ocean.

I ended up reading Part 4 for the first time over the past few days because I had nothing better and I gotta say, wow, the fights in this part were absolutely amazing and now I can't wait for a Part 4 anime. :allears: There aren't any decent Part 5 translations, are there? I wanna take a look but I'm hesitant to do so if the translations suck. On the topic of translations, I really dislike that the scanlators just love to just leave "Yare yare daze" or some variant thereof untranslated because it's Jotaro's catchphrase. It's really dumb that that was the reasoning they used to leave it untranslated during Part 2 since that's not even the right Jojo. :argh:

Also I understand the appeal of leaving in stuff like "What a beautiful Duwang!" or Kira's Mona Lisa boner story, but those are injokes that'd totally be lost if I wanted to introduce friends to Jojo and they didn't know a thing about the Duwang translations and didn't bother looking them up because they didn't wanna accidentally spoil themselves on something.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, so when is Phantom Blood getting a physical release here? I can't find anything on it. Amazon said it was available now in soft and hard cover, but that didn't seem right.

ChaosArgate posted:

Bottom of that ad says Febuary 3.
Alright, cool. Saves me a trip to Hastings.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 4, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Leaving Duwang itself in what a little silly, but the boner story owns. Get a feeling so complicated and "I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!" perfectly describe complex emotions that I can't find any other words for.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, so when is Phantom Blood getting a physical release here? I can't find anything on it.

Bottom of that ad says February 3.

Edit:

Pomp posted:

Leaving Duwang itself in what a little silly, but the boner story owns. Get a feeling so complicated and "I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!" perfectly describe complex emotions that I can't find any other words for.

Yeah that boner story is pretty great, and I'm honestly surprised at how well it fits in context, but I'm more concerned over the tone I guess? I dunno, it's the less out of place of some of the DUWANG remnants I suppose.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it fits the original japanese rather well, because the entire point of that little story is that kira has completely lost his composure and is talking all vulgar-like

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh, does it? If that's the case, then never mind what I said about it! If part 4 ever gets an official translation, I'm probably going to be really disappointed in it for their inevitable "proper" translation.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

There's already a redone translation of part 4. There are now people reading part 4 that will never experience the full Duwang

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boredsatellite posted:

There's already a redone translation of part 4. There are now people reading part 4 that will never experience the full Duwang

The redone translation kept the really iconic stuff.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only redone character I don't like is Cars, because he isn't ridiculously buff and its not Cars if he's not. :colbert:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
With all the complaints about Part 5's translation, I am almost tempted to make my own except that I do not know Japanese and can only refer to the Chinese official translation.

But then people like DUWANG so maybe it will go fine :downs:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I would very much like to read Golden Duwang, yes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Butt Ghost posted:

I would very much like to read Golden Duwang, yes.

Just put Kira's Mona Lisa boner speech over Bruno's Taste of a Liar scene and you're good.

Man, Part 5 had some really great ideas. I'm tempted to call it Part 3 2.0 with much cooler Stands. It was kind of a slog at times but I can never hate Bruno or a Stand named Notorious B.I.G.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I kind of wish some of the other members of Passione got to do more. Trish got in only one fight, and I don't think Abbacchio really fought anyone. Fugo also only got in one fight, but his Stand was kind of nuts. Though him just disappearing from the plot is lame.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The best part about part 5's fights are that they often incorporate 2 stand users at once as a means to shake things up instead of just having 1 stand user.

Also I kinda like how when you think about it Leaky-Eye Luca must've managed to get past Polpo's test without ever letting the lighter go out hence him being the only member of Bruno's gang without a stand. Probably left him confused as hell at times though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Butt Ghost posted:

I kind of wish some of the other members of Passione got to do more. Trish got in only one fight, and I don't think Abbacchio really fought anyone. Fugo also only got in one fight, but his Stand was kind of nuts. Though him just disappearing from the plot is lame.

Him disappearing made Purple Haze Feedback happen, so that's A OK with me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

At least Fugo got the light novels. I dunno if Trish ever got to do anything in the light novels and while she fought off one of the strongest stands in the series, she still only got to do that one fight and then never did anything else again, and Abbacchio's stand was strictly non-combat so I imagine a fight involving him wouldn't have ended well unless he could be a badass like Gyro and fight stand users without actually having a stand. Then again, we saw how well Abbacchio could fight when he got suckerpunched during the whole Risotto/Metallica/Aerosmith mess.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Also I kinda like how when you think about it Leaky-Eye Luca must've managed to get past Polpo's test without ever letting the lighter go out hence him being the only member of Bruno's gang without a stand. Probably left him confused as hell at times though.

I just assumed that shovel was a stand

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Pretty lovely fuckin stand. It was just a shovel he used to bash peoples' heads in. Mainly his own.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't think Abbacchio really fought anyone.

He did not. It's the reason he's not playable in ASB.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Pretty lovely fuckin stand. It was just a shovel he used to bash peoples' heads in. Mainly his own.
Stupid is never a disadvantage in Jojo. Luca probably never realized that 「Down in a Hole」 can dig through literally anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Didn't he fight that guy that made the mirror world?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sort of? It's moreso he got the poo poo beat out of him in the mirror world. Interestingly enough, Abbacchio is playable in the Part 5 PS2 game. I think Moody Blues has the power to repeat his attacks in the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Sort of? It's moreso he got the poo poo beat out of him in the mirror world. Interestingly enough, Abbacchio is playable in the Part 5 PS2 game. I think Moody Blues has the power to repeat his attacks in the game.

Having Moody Blues as a mimic type character that copies some others' attacks would be neat.

Butt Ghost posted:

Stupid is never a disadvantage in Jojo. Luca probably never realized that 「Down in a Hole」 can dig through literally anything.

Except for frogs made from luggage.

Did Giorno ever end up using that reflect-power-of-creatures-I-made-from-Gold-Experience outside of the Luca fight and the Melone fight?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Part 5 game tried making him playable and you are better off using Abbachio by himself rather than use Moody Blues in combat, its ability is really bad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I remember thinking Sex Pistols was gonna be a lame Hol Horse, but it used way more and in cooler ways. Mista was a cool guy.

Also Sex Pistols #5 pulling a Speedwagon when Bruno was unzipping himself was great

FirstAidKite posted:

The best part about part 5's fights are that they often incorporate 2 stand users at once as a means to shake things up instead of just having 1 stand user.

This was great, having a group of Stand users be remotely organized. The Illusio fight had like three people and I recall both Bruno and Mista working in tandem vs Grateful Dead and Beach Boy. It definitely made them more interesting. Does that happen more in Part 7/8?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Did Giorno ever end up using that reflect-power-of-creatures-I-made-from-Gold-Experience outside of the Luca fight and the Melone fight?

there was never a situation where it was relevant. I mean you can argue "why didn't araki write fights where it was" but then we'd fall down a hole of "why didn't star finger/silver chariot armor/half the poo poo kakyoin does/abduls life detecting fire ever get used again"

Beef Waifu posted:

The Part 5 game tried making him playable and you are better off using Abbachio by himself rather than use Moody Blues in combat, its ability is really bad.

the best part of the part 5 game is that in the one fight where you can use fugo he can just juggle the boss to death like he was a tekken character

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember doing the Another Story mission with Abbachio where you fight Diavolo and you can stunlock him for about 5 years with his basic jab combo; please patch Abbachio, Capcom.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

darealkooky posted:

there was never a situation where it was relevant. I mean you can argue "why didn't araki write fights where it was" but then we'd fall down a hole of "why didn't star finger/silver chariot armor/half the poo poo kakyoin does/abduls life detecting fire ever get used again"
Hell, I can't even remember half this poo poo. I don't blame Araki.

Also is the Part 5 game worth importing?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a super fun game and if you can get it for a decent price on Ebay I'd highly recommend it. You can finish it in an afternoon, but if you're like me and a huge dumb nerd who likes using the Another Story mode to elongate the game and then force yourself to max the points you can get you will get a fair bit of time out of it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

darealkooky posted:

Didn't the same thing also happen with Gold Experience's punches making people confused? It happened in the fight with Buccelati, but I don't think they ever mentioned it again. I just find it odd they gave it three abilities to start with and he only ever used one of them again (turning objects into animals).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

seems like diavlo can't read the future and win against GER is because he suffers from the same thing that happened to bruno where only his mind was sped up, so he sees the future and thinks he's getting out of the way but oh no I actually got punched

first thing he does with GER if show off how he can create life more better now, so it makes enough sense

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Please do not even attempt to touch Part 5 if you're not fluent in japanese. Enough people already dislike the poor fuckin' thing and another poor translation isn't gonna do it any favors.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'm hoping the anime makes it to part 5 because that's the best chance we have of a good translation.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I thought I heard somewhere that the dudes who did the good translation of part 4 were going to do 5 after they finished 4. Is that not a thing that occurred?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No that never happened, they only intended to do Part 4.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Please attempt to translate part 5 if you wish to suddenly incur all kinds of coincidental injuries that would prevent you from translating it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I was avoiding Pt. 5 at first because of everything I'd heard and now all I have left to get through is it and SBR. Pt. 7 is infinitely more rad than I could've imagined possible, but honestly, all these vague warnings are just making me want to check out Vento more. It's half reverse psychology, and half that apparently there's awesome poo poo like killer rc planes and dudes who breathe poison and get written out of the story and dudes getting towed away by trains and gently caress yeah I wanna see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I loved part 5 and didn't think it was nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. Sure it's not fully accurate, but you get a general idea of the characters and what's going on and you still get the satisfaction of crazy stands and puzzle fights.

• Locked thread