Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ponymans are The Most Bullshit, out of all the bullshit things in Dominions (and there are a lot) ponymans stand at the top of the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Larz, why some units have leadership 40 and other not? I understand it's the hidden leadership that they have if a normal unit is somehow promoted to a commander role. Does that mean the units without leadership in the Inspector won't have any leadership if they are "promoted" or is just missing by mistake?

And some commanders are missing leadership values. Like the Airya Seraph (id 2570, he is Leader 10+magical 15) and Airya Noble (id 2575, he is Leader 60).

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think 40 leadership is the default: units with the poorleader tag will have 10 leadership

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Right. There are also quite a few national troop leaders (and certain indie mounted commanders) with an extra 20 command on top of either #okleader (Minotaurs and so on) or #goodleader (like the Sidhe Champion).

The #2570 Airya Seraph doesn't have any specific leadership other than #poorleader, Turin, non-Astral Magic always give 5 magic leadership per path (Astral gives 10) which doesn't show up on the inspector.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Right. There are also quite a few national troop leaders (and certain indie mounted commanders) with an extra 20 command on top of either #okleader (Minotaurs and so on) or #goodleader (like the Sidhe Champion).

The #2570 Airya Seraph doesn't have any specific leadership other than #poorleader, Turin, non-Astral Magic always give 5 magic leadership per path (Astral gives 10) which doesn't show up on the inspector.

But it isn't consistent. Spire Horn Seraph is the same that Aira Seraph, both have 10 leadership, but one have the leadership in the inspector and the other doesn't.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

But it isn't consistent. Spire Horn Seraph is the same that Aira Seraph, both have 10 leadership, but one have the leadership in the inspector and the other doesn't.

Spire Horn Caelians are more warlike than Airya Caelians and thus are better at commanding troops.
(This is the actual in-game reason\lore btw)

Oops.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 3, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Spire Horn Caelians are more warlike than Airya Caelians and thus are better at commanding troops.
(This is the actual in-game reason\lore btw)

What are you talking about.

I'm talking of the information shown in the inspector page. The entire talk I started was about that, not about the game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

What are you talking about.

I'm talking of the information shown in the inspector page.

I may have misread your post and thought you were talking about in-game statistics :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How cold and Heat scales in a province affect the battles there?

I was thinking this game is so detailed that surely extreme temperatures would have some effect on troops. Like accumulating more fatigue than usual per action, for example. But reading the manual, I didn't find anything about that. The only thing seems to be how the temperature scales affect fire and cold damage effects (burning dudes burn more time in hot provinces and frozen people are more time in that state in cold provinces).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

How cold and Heat scales in a province affect the battles there?

I was thinking this game is so detailed that surely extreme temperatures would have some effect on troops. Like accumulating more fatigue than usual per action, for example. But reading the manual, I didn't find anything about that. The only thing seems to be how the temperature scales affect fire and cold damage effects (burning dudes burn more time in hot provinces and frozen people are more time in that state in cold provinces).

Some things that come to mind:

-Water elementals summoned into battle in a cold province will be ice elementals instead.

-Rain in cold provinces will be snow instead.

But yeah, I would like to see more of those details, like earth elementals being poisonous mud elementals when summoned in a swamp, for example. :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You get extra encumbrance on units outside of their comfort zone.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

jBrereton posted:

If you click on a unit's enc during battle, you'll get a listing of all the sources. "Extreme" heat and cold add enc depending on how bad it is. But it takes only a small amount of elemental resistance to ignore it.

Cold blooded units take an additional enc penalty in cold lands, which is not removed by adding cold resistance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Speleothing posted:

If you click on a unit's enc during battle, you'll get a listing of all the sources. "Extreme" heat and cold add enc depending on how bad it is. But it takes only a small amount of elemental resistance to ignore it.

Cold blooded units take an additional enc penalty in cold lands, which is not removed by adding cold resistance.

Cool, just as I imagined. I knew it was the right choice to trust the game blindly in this. /sniff.

Any effects when rain is turned on snow?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Now I have a question of my own: What if several players cast a global at the same time, while only one slot remains open? Is there some kind of preference, or is it down to random chance, or what?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

Now I have a question of my own: What if several players cast a global at the same time, while only one slot remains open? Is there some kind of preference, or is it down to random chance, or what?

Spellcasting order is done in order of UID or reverse UID at random each turn. Every turn the game randomly decides if it will go from UID 1 (the first unit in the game) to the last unit or visa-versa (from last to first), spells are resolved in that order.

So the answer to your question is that there is some kind of preference but what kind is randomized from turn to turn.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Libluini posted:

In addition to what the other guy said if globals fill up during the casting phase then any additional globals have to compete with one of the ones that is up, at random

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Larz, why some units have leadership 40 and other not? I understand it's the hidden leadership that they have if a normal unit is somehow promoted to a commander role. Does that mean the units without leadership in the Inspector won't have any leadership if they are "promoted" or is just missing by mistake?

And some commanders are missing leadership values. Like the Airya Seraph (id 2570, he is Leader 10+magical 15) and Airya Noble (id 2575, he is Leader 60).

Thanks for pointing this out. Leadership values have been updated for all units and should now be correct.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Larz
guhyaka general has a incorrect max age on the thing.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

jsoh posted:

Larz
guhyaka general has a incorrect max age on the thing.

Yeah, ages are a bitch to figure out. I can pull the values out of the executable, but they don't match the in-game values, so they need to be massaged. I still don't have the correct algoithrm for startage and maxage calculations. I made another pass at it and think I have improved the values but they still may be off in a few places.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Larz posted:

Yeah, ages are a bitch to figure out. I can pull the values out of the executable, but they don't match the in-game values, so they need to be massaged. I still don't have the correct algoithrm for startage and maxage calculations. I made another pass at it and think I have improved the values but they still may be off in a few places.

In-game values get a slight randomizer applied to them on recruit too, sometimes the guys you recruit will be younger or older than their 'listed' age in the recruitment screen :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was revising some of the combat mechanics in the manual, and from there I started looking at some values of shields in the Inspector, looking at them with other eyes.

I noticed the Shield of the Accursed is really good.

I say this because I think most people will have looked at this magical item and thought "oh, so this is a combat item to use when you are using a horror strategy. Cool, I will try to remember it next time I use horrors", because what stands out more are special effects like that, it's the first thing I look when I forge stuff.
But even if you don't use horrors, I want to put some attention on the base stats: for the price and availability (Constr4, S2B1 which is manageable for lots of nations) is one of the best shields in the game. Parry 11 is the highest in all the game, and it's paired up with the minimum drawbacks possible in shields: def and encumbrance just -1.
For comparison, the other magical shield with Parry 11 is Barrier, which have higher Prot in case of parried hit, but it has def and enc -2; and Constr8 E8 to get it, which basically makes it a item you can forget about for most games.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Doesn't parry work different in Dom4?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

In addition to what the other guy said if globals fill up during the casting phase then any additional globals have to compete with one of the ones that is up, at random

So wait, does that mean if I send up some expensive global with a load of extra gems I have a good chance of just kicking someone off the list if it fills up in the same turn? Sounds sweet and less expensive then a dispel. :v:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Libluini posted:

So wait, does that mean if I send up some expensive global with a load of extra gems I have a good chance of just kicking someone off the list if it fills up in the same turn? Sounds sweet and less expensive then a dispel. :v:

Dispel is targeted, you don't get to choose which global you're aiming at when you just throw up another global.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

ya. its like gems over base cost+paths over base paths (for the man path only)*n +d6 vs gems over base cost+paths over base paths*n +d6. i dont remember what n is. you can do this at any time it doesnt have ot be same turn the global list fills up. if at any time the global list is full you trying to cast another will compete with 1 random one

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Yes and no. It doesn't prevent all damage, it now adds all Protection from the shield to your main protection. In all other respects, I believe it's unchanged.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I don't remember if I ever made a shield to parry an attack.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Decrepus posted:

I don't remember if I ever made a shield to parry an attack.

I know what you mean, but consider it this way: in most cases it's like a +11 to defense*. Not bad for 15 gems.

*attack roll has to win defense roll by more than 11, if it wins but by 11 or less, the unit has +21 protection, which should be block a lot.

edit: You know what? I also like how the description of a mysterious secondary effect that affects the attacker explain the high score. It isn't a hidden effect, it's the high parry value! A shield of that size should be parry 4 usually, maybe 6 because it's magical, so it's that magical effect that confuses the enemy that is represented ingame with a higher parry number.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 3, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I like it since you can parry stuff like spells.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why is that horror shield so stupidly powerful given that it can pretty much guarantee an eventual death for those who hit it and run away

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why is that horror shield so stupidly powerful given that it can pretty much guarantee an eventual death for those who hit it and run away

Read the flavor text, it's a very spooky looking shield.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

ya. its like gems over base cost+paths over base paths (for the man path only)*n +d6 vs gems over base cost+paths over base paths*n +d6. i dont remember what n is. you can do this at any time it doesnt have ot be same turn the global list fills up. if at any time the global list is full you trying to cast another will compete with 1 random one

poo poo, again I learn something new. This game will be the end of me, I swear. Thanks!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

amuayse posted:

Read the flavor text, it's a very spooky looking shield.

:iit:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Because horror marks are nearly worthless for the current battle, which is the one that matters. The effect is only important if you lose the battle, in which case the power of the shield is more than made up for by the fact that you lost the drat battle.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shield of the Accursed is what I make when I can't make gold shields and don't want to spend 10Ns on a vine shield but still want a shield. It's not terrible but shields are usually the thing you need to handle crowd control on your thug, which they aren't that good at. I don't care if I horror mark some pd militia that is about to die to a frost brand.

They will at least block arrows for a low armored thug like a shrouded skratti.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hmm. I want to try out the Astral Harpoon for Pelagia.
Paths to forge it is S5B1 so I figure I somehow get 55 bloodslaves by the time I hit construction 8. Then I equip it onto my super strong astral underwater pretender and use it as a hilarious version of mindhunt. Weirdly, it's a misc item so you don't need arms to use it.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

amuayse posted:

only for ranged attacks

Maerlande
Apr 28, 2010
My friend from Dom4mods is doing a survey on cross forum play with Dominions. It's here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ha0LRy5P8Ogc9fRLXKlkv35Ug1BZ9QNI4Jgd4jGv5FU/viewform

He would like input from anyone. The whole idea I think is to figure out how many people play on multiple forums.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Hi hello I made a new version of my mod and it's playable now i think

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/pudmod%20pretenders%200_04.rar

It might be bug free but I haven't really playtested it so have fun encountering game breaking bugs and crashes or whatever

quote:

-Fixed the new breath weapons.
-Gave the devourer of souls higher defence and protection, and an acidic breath weapon.
-Ageless Olm now has a large earth/water pathboost and enslave mind attack, cost increased to 25 points.
-Sphinx given pathboosts in death and astral.
-Urmahlullu given pathboosts in air and astral.
-Shedu reduced to 25 points, given pathboosts in earth and astral.
-Solar Disc given astral magic, has pathboosts in astral and fire.
-Kamadhenu given pathboosts in nature and astral, starting dominion increased to 3.
-Divine Serpent pathcost reduced to 40.
-Kraken made amphibious, now has 4 arm and misc slots and starts with water magic path, cheaper pathcosts, has tentacle attacks that cannot be repelled.
-Great Siddha and Devi of Darkness ambidexterity increased.
-Wyrm defence and protection increased.
-Scorpion King given gaze of fear, defence and precision increased.
-Phoenix given pathboosts in fire and air, explodes upon death, and should be mostly immune to picking up afflictions.
-Son of Fenrer berserk reduced, protection and defence increased, given increased stealth and is now an assassin.
-Great Bulls given very large reinvigoration and AP boost, along with increased base protection.

This version probably would never have come out without jonjoe telling me what to do, I would've just scrapped the entire thing otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Are there any general strategies for fighting entrenched aquatic nations as a nation that doesn't get amphibious troops naturally?

• Locked thread