Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

JaucheCharly posted:

You know, this constant drinking of wine also has another reason that people tend to forget. Good luck drinking water from a well. Usually there's a cemetry and/or public cesspits nearby in cities. At the end of the 2nd siege of Vienna the wine was running low. That was almost as bad as the walls being breached.

This might just be an Early Modern phenomenon due to massive urbanisation, or a circumstance of siege. It certainly was not a universal problem for pre-20th century towns and cities, as discussed here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/05/21/medieval_europe_why_was_water_the_most_popular_drink.html

edit: Not that I think this article is perfect

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I think you know where the cemeteries in Central European cities where built, right? Here, around the cathedral and the other churches. Where is the cathedral? In the middle of the city. You can load up a map of Vienna and then zoom down and look into the courtyards in the buildings that surround St. Stefan. There's still a number of wells left. I think we already spoke about the one in the yard of the Deutschordenshaus in the Singerstrasse that is still well preserved. Although we have 2 large rivers here, people still had wells all throughout the city, because guess what: people are lazy. Yes, the tanners et al. are all on the outskirts or outside the walls, but the public cesspits aren't. So how about the cemeteries in other German cities?

Beer isn't the same safe beverage as wine back then.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

would cemeteries really contaminate a water supply all that badly? WHO says that corpses are unlikely to spread "outbreaks of diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera, or plague", but they can transmit gastroenteritis / food poisoning type disease. and this is in reference to corpses scattered about in crisis situations, not buried bodies. wouldn't the coffin / burial method provide some layer of protection to the water table ?

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/envsan/tn08/en/

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In medieval cities the church grounds/catacombs were really only for the wealthy; everyone else got put in consecrated ground outside the city. A lot of places did the mass grave -> ossuary thing.

Also beer was "safe" (and popular) because it was boiled and had caloric/hydration value. A lot of medieval beer was very low ABV and was intended to be consumed as a water replacement.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I've played it. It holds up remarkably well when you substitute nerf guns for the cannon he used.

You can still get those cannon as retro toys, in the UK at least; I had one as a kid and I'm not a centenarian.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

You can still get those cannon as retro toys, in the UK at least; I had one as a kid and I'm not a centenarian.
They're a little harder to find and people are less inclined to let random con attendees manhandle them. We also used party poppers held where the nerf dart landed to simulate mortar fire in an entertaining fashion.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Couldn't you use a Lego pirate cannon as a cheap alternative? (cheap assuming that you have some around, I don't know if they're sold separately...) I'm not sure if they compare in range to the guns Wells used though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're not all that cheap and not particularly powerful either when you're talking about 54mm or so plastic soldiers. You'll knock one or two over, but you REALLY want the cannonballs to plough through a formation and take out an entire file.

Actually the most hilariously clever mechanic of the entire game is how close combat is resolved: remove half of both units engaged. Really gets across the risk of trying to poke someone with a sharp thing very well.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Arquinsiel posted:

They're not all that cheap and not particularly powerful either when you're talking about 54mm or so plastic soldiers. You'll knock one or two over, but you REALLY want the cannonballs to plough through a formation and take out an entire file.

Actually the most hilariously clever mechanic of the entire game is how close combat is resolved: remove half of both units engaged. Really gets across the risk of trying to poke someone with a sharp thing very well.

Peter Cushing was a big fan.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

shallowj posted:

would cemeteries really contaminate a water supply all that badly? WHO says that corpses are unlikely to spread "outbreaks of diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera, or plague", but they can transmit gastroenteritis / food poisoning type disease. and this is in reference to corpses scattered about in crisis situations, not buried bodies. wouldn't the coffin / burial method provide some layer of protection to the water table ?

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/envsan/tn08/en/

From about 1860, at least in America the preferred embalming method included as much as several gallons of arsenic pumped into the body. That certainly does contaminate water supplies, even if the buried corpse doesn't much.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Wouldn't that mean charging a depleted unit at an intact unit is always a winning move, since you lose 25 out of the 50 men remaining and your opponent loses 250 out of 500?

Melee OP, Wells please fix.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Why did infantry helmets disappear from European infantry between the time of early pike/musket squares and WW1? And did anyone buck the trend?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ArchangeI posted:

Wouldn't that mean charging a depleted unit at an intact unit is always a winning move, since you lose 25 out of the 50 men remaining and your opponent loses 250 out of 500?

"Saul, you can't send Samson and one other dude into melee against 2,000 Philistines, that's clearly bullshit."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ArchangeI posted:

Funny how engaging on your own terms results in that kind of thing isn't it?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ArchangeI posted:

The book's free online, and I think he did fix that--troops surrender and go POW if there's more enemies than friendlies nearby. And I thought melee traded men one to one until one side had twice as many guys as the other?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Why did infantry helmets disappear from European infantry between the time of early pike/musket squares and WW1? And did anyone buck the trend?

Primarily because metal helmets were not strong enough to stop a bullet and melee combat was becoming less common. By ww1, shrapnel was a huge danger and metal helmets tough enough to stop it could be produce cheaply.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Primarily because metal helmets were not strong enough to stop a bullet and melee combat was becoming less common. By ww1, shrapnel was a huge danger and metal helmets tough enough to stop it could be produce cheaply.

Unless you were Russia

Who never got metal helmets in the first world war, period.

God it must have SUCKED to be a Russian soldier any time from 1914-1945. Especially during the Brusilov offensive.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Russian soldiers have never had a good time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Russian soldiers have never had a good time.
Sack of Berlin?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Davin Valkri posted:

The book's free online, and I think he did fix that--troops surrender and go POW if there's more enemies than friendlies nearby. And I thought melee traded men one to one until one side had twice as many guys as the other?
Given that I was working from a printout supplied by the GM and the age of the thing I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple rules chains in effect now. We played it as remove half and it led to some very interesting heroic rearguard actions.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AceRimmer posted:

Ned Kelly :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

Sack of Berlin?

Dark.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

Sack of Berlin?

Literally having neighboring armies 'accidentally' bombard you so they can get to the reichstag before you can.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Helmets of ww1/2 vintage do piss all to stop all but the lowest velocity shrapnel. They were issued to protect against dirt and debris kicked up by HE, largely as a result of increased casualties caused by concussions. Same principle and construction as early 20th c safety helms.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Helmets of ww1/2 vintage do piss all to stop all but the lowest velocity shrapnel. They were issued to protect against dirt and debris kicked up by HE, largely as a result of increased casualties caused by concussions. Same principle and construction as early 20th c safety helms.

The book version of Black Hawk Down noted that the Delta Force soldiers preferred using plastic hockey helmets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mostly agree with you, but a helmet at less has a chance to deflect a chunk of high velocity shrapnel moving at an oblique angle which otherwise would open someone's head up like an orange. There's a reason helmet shape evolved so much, even without significant advances in materials technology.

Edit:

StashAugustine posted:

The book version of Black Hawk Down noted that the Delta Force soldiers preferred using plastic hockey helmets.

US Special Forces operating in the third world have slightly different operational concerns than a field army in a war versus a peer military.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's your source on this? Everything I've read attributes the development of the Brodie battle bowler far more to defence from shrapnel shells, with protection against the random crap from an HE shell being a welcome side benefit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MrYenko posted:

US Special Forces operating in the third world have slightly different operational concerns than a field army in a war versus a peer military.
Operating anywhere really. They seem to worry more about bumping their heads on the door of the insertion vehicle than they do getting shot at.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Operating anywhere really. They seem to worry more about bumping their heads on the door of the insertion vehicle than they do getting shot at.

Yeah, this. Those helmets are designed to keep you from getting hurt bumping your head as you enter a room, not to provide ballistic protection.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MA-Horus posted:

Unless you were Russia

Who never got metal helmets in the first world war, period.

God it must have SUCKED to be a Russian soldier any time from 1914-1945. Especially during the Brusilov offensive.

I was going to make a crack about extending that at least as far back as the crimean war but then I remembered the British had a much worse time of it.

I'll have to double check but it was assumed that crimean winters were very mild and thus British soldiers got a crappy tent to sleep in and no coal or wood for heating.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding little wars, how I read the rules in Melee is that generally speaking you remove a man from each side, one for one. Other stuff happens based on outnumbering and "base to base" contact.

Oh also, 'Courage the Adventuress' by Hans Grimmelshausen, do I have options in terms of translations into English and if so should I look for a particular translation or edition? Maybe one has a better fore word or something?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

bewbies posted:

Yeah, this. Those helmets are designed to keep you from getting hurt bumping your head as you enter a room, not to provide ballistic protection.

Aren't some SOF-esque helmets ballistic? There's a bunch of low-profile ballistic helmets on the market now. From time to time, I see photos of SOF guys in Afghanistan wearing them.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Aren't some SOF-esque helmets ballistic? There's a bunch of low-profile ballistic helmets on the market now. From time to time, I see photos of SOF guys in Afghanistan wearing them.

I think the gwot made a lot of innovations in regards to mil gear and equipment. And Mogadishu was just after the end of the cold war and subsequent drawdown.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I was going to make a crack about extending that at least as far back as the crimean war but then I remembered the British had a much worse time of it.

I'll have to double check but it was assumed that crimean winters were very mild and thus British soldiers got a crappy tent to sleep in and no coal or wood for heating.
That wasn't the only problem--the British in the Crimean War were amazingly poorly organized, top to bottom, which led to a lot of misery for the common soldiers. The French and the Russians, both with established professional infantry traditions and lots of institutional knowledge, were much better provided for during that conflict.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HEY GAL posted:

Sack of Berlin?

Sack of East Prussia. The horror stories to come out of that period of the war chilled me to the bone.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Another quiet day of manoeuvre on the Western Front. The pfennig begins to drop for von Kluck, in command of 1st Army, that he might just be in a little trouble here. His recon reports are telling him about a worrying number of Frenchmen loitering with intent on his right flank, and it soon becomes obvious that if something is not done, they'll slip in behind him and cause all kinds of obstructions in his rear area. He orders one of his reserve corps west to take up a shielding position.

The final preparations are made for the Battle of the Marne. This is almost certainly the first and last chance to hold back the tide of the invasion. If it fails, the Allied left wing will be in complete disarray and will surely turn under a finger's further pressure. Lieutenant Edward Spears was at this time a liaison officer at the headquarters of the 5th Army; while we wait, here are some of his observations.

quote:

I was introduced to General Joffre. I had never even seen a picture of the man and I was astonished to find a big, heavy, bulky individual walking up and down the square with his hands behind his back. He had his kepi tilted well forward to protect his eyes, he had very light eyes. He had pepper-and-salt hair, a pepper-and-salt walrus moustache, and was wearing a black tunic, which fitted extremely badly, sloping outwards from the fourth or fifth button down. Also, ill-fitting red breeches and abominable gaiters, which as a cavalry officer I was very critical of.

Joffre had an extraordinary habit of arriving at headquarters and getting out of his car in an enormous coat with a cape on it, even in hot weather. The General Commanding and the Staff would come up to him expecting to be told something, but he'd listen to them. I have known cases where he has walked straight into his car again without uttering a single word. Always listening.

He was always in bed by 10 o'clock. He always ate enormously, took a little walk with one of his favourite aides-des-camp after meals, and that was about all. I actually saw him on the afternoon that he decided on the battle of the Marne. He was sitting astride a hard chair in a dusty little French courtyard, and he swayed backwards and forwards as he was deciding what he was going to do.

It was an extraordinary thing; very few people can have seen anybody with such a burden placed on his shoulders with nobody to help, just weighing the pros and cons of this movement and that movement, what orders to issue. It lasted quite a long time, perhaps a couple of hours, and then he got up, his decision was made, and the orders went out that night.

Meanwhile, mixed in with the BEF's orders of the day, the men are being read something that purports to be an intercepted German order, given by the Kaiser to his generals shortly before marching on Mons. Over the next few days they all hear it, and this sentence is soon to pass into legend.

quote:

It is my Royal and Imperial command that you concentrate your energies for the immediate present upon one single purpose, and that is that you address all your skill and all the valour of my soldiers to exterminate first the treacherous English, and walk over General French's contemptible little army.

It's also frequently dated August 19th and said to emanate from Headquarters at Aix-la-Chapelle (Aachen). Unfortunately, German headquarters was never located there, and after the war the Kaiser maintained that he had never said anything of the sort. There is no German proof that such an order ever existed, and it is therefore almost certainly a whole-cloth propaganda fabrication.

Regardless of its origins, it has an electric effect on the tired men. Contemporary accounts are stuffed full of stories of having their spirits roused by hearing themselves described in this way. The phrase "The Old Contemptibles" quickly came to refer to the men of the original BEF in 1914, and when a veterans' association was formed in 1925 specifically to represent them, they could take no other name than "The Old Contemptibles' Association".

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bacarruda posted:

Most of what they wear now are, I was referring to what they were wearing back in the UNOSOM days.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

At the Marne, the trap is sprung. General Manoury's new 6th Army marches towards the German flank and piles straight into the reserve corps sent there to act as a shielding force. It does what it can to delay the French advance, but soon is forced to retire. General von Kluck is faced with a drastic problem, and has bought himself just enough thinking time to devise a drastic solution. The whole of 1st Army halts and is turned to face west, to meet the 6th Army in strength and give battle aggressively the following day. Intelligence still suggests that the BEF and the 5th Army are falling back in disarray, and that might just leave him enough time to inflict enough of a defeat on the 6th Army to force it back towards Paris before the disorganised enemy can exploit his decision.

For their part, the French are not slow to recognise this movement, and every available man in the area is ordered forward. While their 9th, 4th and 3rd Armies are to launch a vicious frontal counter-attack against the German 2nd and 3rd Armies further east (the new 9th army playing a particularly vital role, stopping the 2nd Army from trying to slide westwards), the 5th Army and the fighting remains of the BEF are sent towards the yawning 30-mile gap that's appearing between von Kluck's army and von Bulow's, to force themselves into it as soon as possible. If they can get there before 1st Army can turn and face south again, this is a chance to see the Germans on the run; the worst-case scenario would be the Germans retiring in haste to avoid being flanked themselves. But many of the men are a full day's march away from where they need to be to go into battle...

In (bad) pictures: the German assessment on c. 3rd September

The German assessment on 5th September

And what was actually happening on 5th September

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/world/europe/in-west-fine-line-on-labeling-ukraine-crisis.html

This is a NY Times article about how Western governments are tripping over themselves trying not to call Russia's invasion of Ukraine an invasion. Does anybody else who is well-versed in the 1939-45 disaster thing that happened agree with me that this parallels the difficulty of Western governments in talking about the Soviet invasions of 1939-40, especially the Soviet invasion of Poland?

"Oh, uh, sorry Poland, we actually only allied with you because we hated and feared Germany so much, not because we wanted to protect you. Also we believe it's not really an invasion anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As interesting as the parallel is for someone uninvolved in the situation that's far too recent for this thread man. It's just going to degenerate into bad feelings between posters, like it did earlier.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago
:allears:
Your maps are glorious.

• Locked thread