Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Looks like it's limit one but that's still pretty great deal, thanks!

Yes it is unfortunately. If you know someone who has a groupon account you can have them buy it for you and then just apply the code to your iTunes account, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
anyone know how to switch off shake to unlock on downcast?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ICHIBAHN posted:

anyone know how to switch off shake to unlock on downcast?

I don't think downcast has this in the first place, nor does iOS normally. Is your device jailbroken?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
very strange. I googled but this seems to be a me-centric problem. yeah I'm jail broken so, that'll probably have something to do with it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ICHIBAHN posted:

very strange. I googled but this seems to be a me-centric problem. yeah I'm jail broken so, that'll probably have something to do with it.

I'm pretty sure that has everything to do with it, seeing as that's the only way you can have shake to unlock.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My photostream is carrying around a bunch of work photos that I don't want or need anymore, what's the easiest way to clear them off? Do I have to do anything or will they just get pushed out as I take more pictures?

I don't want to just tap my way through them because there are like 750 photos.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Photostream is your last 1000 photos so they'll just roll off on their own as you take more.

The one jailbreak tweak I want is a loving 'select all' button for photostream.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Javid posted:

Photostream is your last 1000 photos so they'll just roll off on their own as you take more.

The one jailbreak tweak I want is a loving 'select all' button for photostream.

Why is this not a thing, like, by default? I don't understand. Do they think people are going to accidentally delete all their photos or something?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's an improvement over not being able to delete any of them, as it once was.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I downloaded TurboScan in impulse and while the idea is good and the scanning process is easy and effective enough, I was really hoping the app would be more complete re: its sorting capabilities.

Is there any similar app that will let me:

1) quickly sort scanned documents into categories (ie: supermarket receipts/shopping/etc.)

2) auto upload all files into corresponding folders on Gdrive/Dropbox/etc.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

1) quickly sort scanned documents into categories (ie: supermarket receipts/shopping/etc.)

Looked at my copy of scanner pro:

1) only by file name

2) auto upload to one folder on drive/dropbox

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I downloaded TurboScan in impulse and while the idea is good and the scanning process is easy and effective enough, I was really hoping the app would be more complete re: its sorting capabilities.

Is there any similar app that will let me:

There may be better options, but Evernote may be more painless in terms of workflow than your scanner app. You can use the document camera (which works fairly well as a scanning app) and add a note within a notebook that you could just treat as a category. It also supports pretty quick tagging and auto-tagging (I think, I haven't checked to see how mine is working since turning it on) and makes the scanned docs searchable by the text within them which may negate the need to categorize entirely, beyond adding tags to supplement stuff that isn't in the document.

That's how I use Scanner Pro, I just have it upload to Evernote to its own notebook and don't worry about categorizing the documents. It works perfectly for everything from windshield wiper receipts to transcripts because I find them just by searching for something that would appear in the document.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 31, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Scanbot can sync to Evernote as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So did 7.1.2 break podcasts for everyone or was it a fringe issue? I haven't updated and the settings badge is getting to me.

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

tuyop posted:

So did 7.1.2 break podcasts for everyone or was it a fringe issue? I haven't updated and the settings badge is getting to me.

Mine works "fine" and I'm on 7.1.2.
The stock app still has the problems it's always had but it hasn't gotten worse or anything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So I have tried out a few RSS readers (feedly, digg, inoreader) and all are functional but have their own little annoying quirks.

Is Reeder 2 significantly better? I had the original and liked it. What's the RSS service of choice to use with it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'll piggyback on this. Is there a good RSS reader that also syncs with a Mac app too?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

So I have tried out a few RSS readers (feedly, digg, inoreader) and all are functional but have their own little annoying quirks.

Is Reeder 2 significantly better? I had the original and liked it. What's the RSS service of choice to use with it?

I really like Reeder 2. I use it with Feedbin, but it supports a bunch of the post-Google Reader RSS services.

IUG posted:

I guess I'll piggyback on this. Is there a good RSS reader that also syncs with a Mac app too?

The good thing about all these services like Feedbin replacing Google Reader is that you can frequently use different apps on different platforms to view the same set of feeds and unread states. I've ended up liking Reeder 2 on both platforms, but I can use the web interface on my Boot Camp install, and if a new app comes out for either platform and it supports Feedbin, I can try it out and seamlessly go back to Reeder at any time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

As long as we're talking about RSS readers, I really like Unread on iOS. I like it a bit less on iPad than iPhone, but for whatever reason I've never really found any RSS reader I really love on iPad.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Diabolik900 posted:

As long as we're talking about RSS readers, I really like Unread on iOS. I like it a bit less on iPad than iPhone, but for whatever reason I've never really found any RSS reader I really love on iPad.
I looked at it and it seems kinda cool, although having to pay £2.99 twice to have it on both iPhone and iPad seems a bit like nickel and diming me out of what seems like a rather simple app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I looked at it and it seems kinda cool, although having to pay £2.99 twice to have it on both iPhone and iPad seems a bit like nickel and diming me out of what seems like a rather simple app.

It's kind of funny because that is what Reeder was like too, with separate iPhone and iPad versions. The iPad version was lacking compared to the iPhone one too, iirc. Sort of like tweetbot!

Now I am torn between Reeder 2 and Unread. At least Reeder 2 is universal. Watch Reeder 3 come out a week after I buy 2, though ;)

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Crossposting from the iPad thread.

I just bought a iPad mini Retina because Staples was selling them for $100 off. I am having a ridiculous problem and don't know what to do to fix it.

Basically whenever I try to open an app that I've downloaded from the App Store, it will either crash immediately or do this weird thing where the screen completely screws up and I can't progress any further. See pictures below for what happens when I open iBooks.

This doesn't happen with any of the pre-loaded apps.

I have tried:

1) Going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, and starting over and setting it up as a new device. Did not work.
2) Plugging into iTunes and Restoring the iPad as a new device. Did not work.
3) Performing a hard reset several times. Did not work.
4) Deleting and re-downloading apps. Did not work.

WTF is wrong with this thing? I have iOS 7.1.2 installed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Venkmanologist posted:

Crossposting from the iPad thread.

As someone there posted, you likely got a bad one. Staples should swap it out and if they won't (which would be super lovely of them), Apple will for sure.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, sounds like a hardware problem to me, especially since you're fully restored.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I prefer Reeder to Unread. But it depends on how you use RSS. If you want to skim every story and have them marked as read, Reeder is better. If you want to see every headline and only read some, Unread seems better,

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is a good app to receive severe weather alerts? I have the weather channel app and it comes up with notifications but they do not make a sound. I am looking for something that will alert me in the middle of the night.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is a good app to receive severe weather alerts? I have the weather channel app and it comes up with notifications but they do not make a sound. I am looking for something that will alert me in the middle of the night.

You should be able to modify this IFTTT recipe to fit your location. Then, you'll get a phone call if there's severe weather.

I'd set up a test recipe, telling IFTTT to call your phone on a certain date and time, set the date for today, set the time for as close as it will come (it goes in 15 min. bits), and then let IFTTT call you, so you can add it as a contact and assign a specific ringtone.

Note that I don't have a smart phone, so I'm not 100% sure you can add IFTTT as a contact, but I'd think it would be possible...

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I live in Oklahoma so we kind have the cream of the crop in sever weather stuff but even then all the local news station apps have features for us that will alert you to any kind of warning you'd ever want. The best one I've used is based on this weather radio app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

Note that I don't have a smart phone, so I'm not 100% sure you can add IFTTT as a contact, but I'd think it would be possible...

An automated thing may not call from the same number every time.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

withak posted:

An automated thing may not call from the same number every time.

All of my IFTTT SMSs come from the same number.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Trying to find a decent NOAA app. I found a great one for displaying weather and a great one for the NOAA radio but none seem to combine the two.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

StormShield has never let me down.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

the kawaiiest posted:

StormShield has never let me down.
Seconding StormShield. I've never missed a legit alert with it, and even better, never had it false alarm on me.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Enable Emergency Alerts in iOS as well (Notification Center settings, all the way at the bottom). A WEA/EAS activation should be capable of warning you to any severe weather a lot faster than any app could -- and it's loud as hell when it goes off.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

biznatchio posted:

Enable Emergency Alerts in iOS as well (Notification Center settings, all the way at the bottom). A WEA/EAS activation should be capable of warning you to any severe weather a lot faster than any app could -- and it's loud as hell when it goes off.

Scared the poo poo out of me the other day, so prepare yourself.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is there like an air video type app that handled subtitles?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there something on the market that will allow me to place random bits of media like movies and TV shows on an external HDD and play them on my iPhone?

I know the Mophie back-up case will do this, but I get a new phone every year and it doesn't make sense for me to buy a case like that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

obi_ant posted:

Is there something on the market that will allow me to place random bits of media like movies and TV shows on an external HDD and play them on my iPhone?

I know the Mophie back-up case will do this, but I get a new phone every year and it doesn't make sense for me to buy a case like that.

I know it's not quite what you're asking, but tons of apps support directly transferring the media to the app and playing it locally from the iphone. I've got a gen 1 ipad that I just fill with TV shows and movies to watch in bed before I go to sleep. Delete 'em when you're done, top it back off when you want more.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I know it's not quite what you're asking, but tons of apps support directly transferring the media to the app and playing it locally from the iphone. I've got a gen 1 ipad that I just fill with TV shows and movies to watch in bed before I go to sleep. Delete 'em when you're done, top it back off when you want more.

What are these programs called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

A co-worker of mine has a portable hard drive that has, basically, a wireless router built into it, so you put all your media and poo poo on it, connect to the wireless network, and access those files that way.

• Locked thread