Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
by which i mean it's ugly as all hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

.log horizon

no game, no life

the idle masterbator

the most google choices streamed off crunchy roll for your pleasure

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

In new and exciting google projects that will never materialize:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/530516/google-launches-effort-to-build-its-own-quantum-computer/

quote:

Techniques developed at the University of California, Santa Barbara, to build this device, known as a qubit, will be used to try to build a working quantum computer at Google.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that life extension thing is back too

:rolleyes:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finally! It's out of beta!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/4/6099065/nest-protect-updates-smoke-detector-to-reduce-false-alarms-from-steam

Nest Protect updates its smoke detector to reduce false alarms from steam... And a new 'safety history' shows you when your house burned down

Version 2.0 of the Protect software will use the device's humidity sensor to better distinguish between smoke and steam, which the company says is responsible for more than half of false alarms.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Finally! It's out of beta!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/4/6099065/nest-protect-updates-smoke-detector-to-reduce-false-alarms-from-steam

Nest Protect updates its smoke detector to reduce false alarms from steam... And a new 'safety history' shows you when your house burned down

Version 2.0 of the Protect software will use the device's humidity sensor to better distinguish between smoke and steam, which the company says is responsible for more than half of false alarms.

finally it can do something that my smoke detector that probably cost less than $1 to make can do

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

can't get the phone to stay on, but hey let's add complicated frills to a device responsible for saving your life

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
what are they using for a smoke detector? is the mechanism fukken optical or something??

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
features I want in a smoke detector

1) reliably save my life
2) minimal false positives

coincidentally these are already available in the smoke detectors in my house.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Management posted:

features I want in a smoke detector

1) reliably save my life
2) minimal false positives

coincidentally these are already available in the smoke detectors in my house.

if you have false positives, they're your fault

quote:

Safety History: Check the Nest app to see what caused Heads-Up or Emergency Alarms over the last 10 days. Keep track of where and when they happened, so you can figure out how to avoid setting off alarms.

you will be trained to learn to avoid to trigger your nest.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you mean this is an opportunity to janitor your smoke detector. another Google innovation.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

truthfully though I'm trained to open the doors and windows while cooking because of my smoke detector.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasureKevin posted:

truthfully though I'm trained to open the doors and windows while cooking because of my smoke detector.

don't burn your poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what are they using for a smoke detector? is the mechanism fukken optical or something??

Photoelectric, yes.

photoelectric sensors have their place: they are really good at picking up smoldering fires and don't false alarm as much when you are cooking so they are good in areas adjacent to the kitchen. ionization sensors are really good at picking up fast moving fires which coincidentally are the ones where you need every drat second of early alert to not die. the best detectors have both, and are also $100 cheaper than the nest so you can put them everywhere in the house.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i gotta say i do like my nest thermostat tho

i never considered buying their smoke detector poo poo, i just wanted a thermostat that i could control remotely and it was what was on the shelf at home depot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I assume they haven't restored the only good feature of the smoke detector which was to be able to shut off false alarms

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

I assume they haven't restored the only good feature of the smoke detector which was to be able to shut off false alarms

oh good now i don't hafta make sure not to wave my arms around if there's a real fire

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:supaburn:

no no no, it's stop, stand at attention, hop out the door

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh good now i don't hafta make sure not to wave my arms around if there's a real fire

if there's a real fire and you're at the point where you're waving your arms underneath it the smoke detector has done its job because you are aware of the fire and not in bed or anything

once you're aware of the emergency what's the point of it continuing to make noise other than make an incredibly unpleasant experience that much worse?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

if there's a real fire and you're at the point where you're waving your arms underneath it the smoke detector has done its job because you are aware of the fire and not in bed or anything

once you're aware of the emergency what's the point of it continuing to make noise other than make an incredibly unpleasant experience that much worse?

alerting the fire department would be nice

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

some people aren't ~forever alone~

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

alerting the fire department would be nice

don't be crazy, that would require some sort of smart networked device

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

some people aren't ~forever alone~

I won't bother making sure the kids are awake, the smoke detector is still going

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

don't be crazy, that would require some sort of smart networked device

the kind of thing that does this is actually super expensive and mega complicated and usually interfaces with a real fire alarm panel

https://www.firelite.com/en-US/documentation/Documents/51073.pdf

have fun reading that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:confused: our residential system does that but it's basically just a cell phone that calls a monitoring station to say "hey the smoke detector's been going off for the last sixty seconds, be a dear and call the fd to come hose off the ashes for us?"

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

:confused: our residential system does that but it's basically just a cell phone that calls a monitoring station to say "hey the smoke detector's been going off for the last sixty seconds, be a dear and call the fd to come hose off the ashes for us?"

anything bigger than a once family house tends to have much more restrictive code for the fa system

also if most fire depts had their way you'd have crazy systems like that in every house, at least the code guys are smart enough to know people arent going to pay several thousand dollars for a dact panel

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I never asked for this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

keyboard vomit posted:

the kind of thing that does this is actually super expensive and mega complicated and usually interfaces with a real fire alarm panel

have fun reading that

just have the nest tweet the fire department what's the big deal

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

shitface posted:

I never asked for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJpZad8zU8

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

automatically livetweeting the death of your children

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

will all google products come with built-in failure analytics software

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

no but all of them will have steering wheels by the time the state of california is done with them.

yes, even the phones.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PleasureKevin posted:

"google, analyze failure"
*device points at u*

duTrieux. posted:

no but all of them will have steering wheels by the time the state of california is done with them.

yes, even the phones.
finally, the ui will improve

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

steering wheels are great, not even gonna lie

~90° of vehicular motion mapped onto ~270°, allowing for precise control

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

duTrieux. posted:

steering wheels are great, not even gonna lie

~90° of vehicular motion mapped onto ~270°, allowing for precise control
some hard-hitting truth bombs in the 'pos tonight

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FMguru posted:

"google, analyze failure"
*device points at u*

thanks for fielding this one i wasn't sure how to approach it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

keyboard vomit posted:

have fun reading that

bosh, i have an burglar alarm system that has a thingie that hooks up to my phone and calls and plays a recorded message to a number of my choice and I dont think I paid more than $100 for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

bosh, i have an burglar alarm system that has a thingie that hooks up to my phone and calls and plays a recorded message to a number of my choice and I dont think I paid more than $100 for it

"Hello! This is rotor. We're going to start reading my posts in a few seconds, so you should get out while you can. Commencing reading in 5… 4… 3… 2… 1…"

• Locked thread