Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Edit: ^^^ It only Threatens on your turn.

This card isn't as good as Zealous Conscripts in the decks which want Zealous Conscripts, but I think it has potential in a low curve deck because it's also a 2 mana 2/1. Might be kind of a long shot, though.

Ah thats less good, but still easily first pickable.

HMS Boromir posted:

I refuse to let coral merfolk become anyone's generic name for what is clearly a goblin piker. :colbert:

Heh, I've always called them coral merfolk, I'm a blue mage at heart, so I had to look up goblin piker on gatherer to make sure it was a 2/1 for 1r.

HMS Boromir posted:

Also wow, conscripts was target permanent? Shows how much AVR I played.

Avr had tons of powerful cards, Bonfire, Grizzlbees among them. To bad its limited environment was rear end.

En Fuego posted:

I don't think I'd really ever want to play this as a 2 mana 2/1 though.

You'd be surprised, if you have a low power pool in sealed, or lovely picks in draft, oftentimes the best strategy is just to try and curve out with as many cheap threats as you can. In that scenario I can easily see dropping him as a 2/1 for 1R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

AlsoD posted:

Using conscripts to steal a plainswalker and ult it, killing it, was the single most rewarding play I've ever done in cube.

My favorite play with it was podding into Conscripts, stealing Gideon, punching my opponent in the face with it, then using a second birthing pod to go get a 6-drop in AVR standard.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Madmarker posted:

You'd be surprised, if you have a low power pool in sealed, or lovely picks in draft, oftentimes the best strategy is just to try and curve out with as many cheap threats as you can. In that scenario I can easily see dropping him as a 2/1 for 1R

This has a lot of truth to it. 24 pikers and 16 mountains goes a lot farther than you'd expect at any casual tournament.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Zealous Conscripts is one of the most underrated limited cards ever, especially in cube. I like the Morphin Time version too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nibble posted:

Old version of Act of Treason. Newfangled color-shifted Ray of Command.

Rogue 7 posted:

My favorite play with it was podding into Conscripts, stealing Gideon, punching my opponent in the face with it, then using a second birthing pod to go get a 6-drop in AVR standard.
So many people were running Conscripts at my LGS that everyone was afraid to bump their planeswalkers up high enough to ult against any red deck.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 4, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Presented without comment

quote:

What does (insert $20 magic card name here) retail for?
Answer? 1/15th of $3.99+tax
When we buy cards "retail" we're paying for a service, not for the cardboard. We are paying for the work it took someone to find that card in a pack, then for everyone else to move it eventually to a place we could get it.
The cards we have aren't worth anything, and they certainly aren't worth what we price them at. If I have a card that is on starcity for $20 what I really have is a $7 card probably. If TCGPlayer has a copy listed for less, that means that a STORE with OVERHEAD hasn't sold it for that price. Saying it's worth that much is clearly wrong.
I have a set of zendikar fetchlands. They are between $35 each and $50 each on most sites. I have 20 of them. $35x20=$400
Where did that $300 go? It never existed. It was a service charge.
Don't go to Ruby Tuesday, buy a burger for $10 and go to McDonalds to try selling it to someone for $9 and tell them it's a discount. They can get a McDouble for $1.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Presented without comment

This is insanely wrong but I can find someone being wrong about something on the internet by waving a stick in front of me, why is this relevant

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I thought the Lithomancer was the Lady Kor Planeswalker that bound Ob-Nixilis?

I went over this. It's Moonsocks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lord Of Texas posted:

This is insanely wrong but I can find someone being wrong about something on the internet by waving a stick in front of me, why is this relevant

Because it was so insanely wrong I felt it was worth sharing.

He went on to ask me what other product has a 100% mark-up and I didn't have the heart to tell him "A whole lot of poo poo"

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Furniture has a ridiculously high markup. I'm talking 500%+

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Literally The Worst posted:

Because it was so insanely wrong I felt it was worth sharing.

He went on to ask me what other product has a 100% mark-up and I didn't have the heart to tell him "A whole lot of poo poo"

I bet he'd love to know how much a data connection actually costs per month to an ISP (like nothing)

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time deciding which clan to play at the prerelease. Last time I went to one--Theros--I picked black and built UB. I then lost three matches in a row before switching to WGR and winning three in a row! Aheh.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll go Mardu, 'cause I love the Mongols.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 4, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Precon promo art:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Veyrall posted:

Players must leave game in progress as it is and use the cards left in their libraries as decks with which to play a subgame of Magic. When subgame is over, players shuffle these cards, return them to libraries, and resume game in progress, with any loser of subgame halving his or her remaining life points, rounding down. Effects that prevent damage may not be used to counter this loss of life. The subgame has no ante; using less than forty cards may be necessary.

Seen here

Wasn't there a deck that's wincon was making your opponent not want to play anymore because it just durdles and makes subgames?

Edit: Also what the gently caress why can we not have a good Clone anymore?

Edit: WAIT THAT TARGETS PLANESWALKERS :aaaaa:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 4, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That's a clone I can get behind.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Count Bleck posted:

Wasn't there a deck that's wincon was making your opponent not want to play anymore because it just durdles and makes subgames?

Yes. Yes there was.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
These rares are cool, but I really want to see the meat and potatoes commons that draft is going to revolve around.

e: I like that Crater's Claws can be just a shock if you have Ferocity active and X=0.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, cast Shaharazhad and Fork as many time as possible!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yaaaaay. Another badass clone for EDH.

quote:

Why is this a rare? I guess it would be too prolific for uncommon in limited? It would make a pretty good finisher for red decks.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Oh drat, I wondered why a 2UU clone would be a mythic. That's pretty sweet.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Game Day Participation Promo:

Game Day Top-8 Promo:

Buy-A-Box Promo:

Launch Day Promo (can't remember if we got a good look at this or not):

e: That flavor text on the throne.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Clever Impersonator is loving awesome.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That Throne flavor text :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

More to the point, even if the opponent was willing to play, there was an early deck that got to the point of decking people by bringing them down to sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-subgames. There was also, briefly, a deck that exploited a rules loophole where cards Suspended in a subgame would remain in the Removed From Game zone after the subgame ended, so Shahrazad was effectively WW: Put Greater Gargadon from your library onto the battlefield with haste. They closed that loophole with the Tenth Edition update, and then took a closer look at Shahrazad and decided it shouldn't be part of sanctioned tournaments. Shahrazad remains the only card to be banned in Vintage for logistical reasons, and (here's a good trivia question) the only depiction of cannabis use on a Magic card.

quote:

It's an awesome Clone, it'll definitely see play in whatever heavy-blue deck pops up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

AlternateNu posted:

Why is this a rare? I guess it would be too prolific for uncommon in limited? It would make a pretty good finisher for red decks.

its a fireball, man.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

It's banefire (which was also rare) (because Temur is Naya).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Imagine that clone with the old legend/planeswalker rule.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's a very powerful fireball too- the two extra damage adds a lot.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The clone :eyepop:

I'm a little disappointed with Threat-o-morph, since the "your turn only" limitation seemed a little unnecessary. Still not awful, I guess. The intro pack rares are all fine playable cards, but probably none will be good enough for constructed just because they're so slow. Maybe Ankle Shanker because of haste and how insane that ability is. Crater's Claws is a fine spell. It's not going to move the earth or whatever but it's a solid playable in the right deck.

That clone though, holy poo poo, that thing is the nuts. The possibilities for EDH are endless. Even in Standard, it stabilizes your board really well by copying their best threat. You can copy the Ascendancy enchantments if they start seeing play, you can copy Banishing Light or Chained to the Rocks, you can copy gods even if they're not turned on devotion-wise. Or you can just do what everyone is going to do and copy Elspeth for 4 mana.

AlternateNu posted:

This at Uncommon would be warping to Limited. A deck with two of these can just stabilize to a decent board position with a single four-power dude, then cast them two successive turns in a row for 8 and 8 (or whatever). With an effect like this my guess is they tried it at limited and a bunch of games just ended with "Crater's Claws you. Crater's Claws you."

Also, alongside that copying sorcery it's totally bizzonkers.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 4, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Probably because it can be a sorcery speed Shock or Lightning Strike if you have 4 power on board.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

:stwoon:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zorak posted:

Probably because it can be a sorcery speed Shock or Lightning Strike if you have 4 power on board.

There's the rub

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That new Clone can lead to some hilarious interactions in Standard:

"EOT, tap my Prophet of Kruphix and Sylvan Caryatid along with five mana, Chord of Calling targeting Clever Impersonator. ETB, copy your Garruk, Apex Predator. Untap, upkeep, draw, +1 my Garruk, Apex Predator and target yours."

*proceeds to make :fh: gesture*

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, I'm pretty sure we were looking at Prowess wrong. It's not "cast a bunch of spells". It's "get a lot of Prowess guys/enablers on the board, then cast the right spell or two to make them all mighty".

I like it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mortimer posted:

There's the rub
The modality of it makes up for that though- getting a 4 power creature on the board shouldn't be hard at all, and once you do it becomes efficient at all levels. Having a spell that is pillar of flame/volcanic hammer/char and upwards based on the demands of the game is a massive upside.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Esser-Z posted:

So, I'm pretty sure we were looking at Prowess wrong. It's not "cast a bunch of spells". It's "get a lot of Prowess guys/enablers on the board, then cast the right spell or two to make them all mighty".

I like it.

Flying Crane Technique or whatever it's called is my favorite spoiled card so far. It's a stupid simple effect, but the flavour is so A+ I can't help but want to run it. Suddenly make all my kung fu monks leap into the air to do a synchronized flying kick to the face? Yes please.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'm liking the looks of that new clone, but...that Utter End promo. :swoon:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yeah, UG is gonna be pretty good. Being able to flash in the Clone with Prophet or Chord is a big deal. Copy effects are strong. Instant speed copy effects are the nuts. Opponent pressuring you with Polukranos or Stormbreath Dragon? Grab your own during combat and trade. Opponent resolved a walker? Grab your own at EOT. If they have a Banishing Light, now you have an instant speed Banishing Light. Chord's a good card. Chord tutoring for any nonland permanent currently on the battlefield or any creature in your deck is a GREAT card.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Flying Crane Technique or whatever it's called is my favorite spoiled card so far. It's a stupid simple effect, but the flavour is so A+ I can't help but want to run it. Suddenly make all my kung fu monks leap into the air to do a synchronized flying kick to the face? Yes please.
Absolutely. That card is rad as gently caress.

I'm thinking I might go Jeskai at the prerelease, now. Ofc, how many of the neat rares I actually would get to use is a question, but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm a little disappointed with Threat-o-morph, since the "your turn only" limitation seemed a little unnecessary.

Ray of Command on a morph would be sweet, I agree, but probably too powerful.

• Locked thread