Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

nachos posted:

Are the bosses in TF better or worse than Returns?

They're worse in how long it takes to beat them, but they're better mechanically. Like the owl boss is really cool and thematic it's just... it takes 9 hits to beat him so it takes forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Get it together, Nintendo of America.

(That is to say, if you're in a territory where you can use Club Nintendo Europe, you're now able to get that cool Yoshi plush that was on Club Nintendo Japan a few months back.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It depresses me Donkey Kong doesn't sell as well as he should. He barely gets any representation in smash either, no Dixie/Crankey, no Tropical Freeze stuff (from what we've seen so far). Feels like I'm the only dude who loves the Kong these days. Speaking of which, what's the best way to get the original Country games? They're not on the E-shop, right?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Fremry posted:

Everyone's making me want to play TF. I have it, but it's sitting on the side because I've been playing a lot of platformers on it (obviously). When I'm done Wind Waker, I think that'll be the next game.

You can totally play both. They are really different vibes, play WW when you want to chill and play DK:TF when you want to remember how colourful and energetic a game can be.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't even remember the bosses from Tropical Freeze outside of the last one, and that's only because of his awesome theme.

Austrian mook posted:

Speaking of which, what's the best way to get the original Country games? They're not on the E-shop, right?

Right, which means you either need to emulate or grab the original carts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

It depresses me Donkey Kong doesn't sell as well as he should. He barely gets any representation in smash either, no Dixie/Crankey, no Tropical Freeze stuff (from what we've seen so far). Feels like I'm the only dude who loves the Kong these days. Speaking of which, what's the best way to get the original Country games? They're not on the E-shop, right?

Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over seven million copies. It is the most successful non-Mario platformer they've ever made. Tropical Freeze sold less because Wii U, not because people don't like Donkey Kong. They reason they gave it such a big push was because Donkey Kong Country Returns was so hugely successful.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Ultigonio posted:

Get it together, Nintendo of America.

(That is to say, if you're in a territory where you can use Club Nintendo Europe, you're now able to get that cool Yoshi plush that was on Club Nintendo Japan a few months back.)

Thank you thank you thank you.

4.5k with some games not yet surveyed... Anyone know if Ninja Gaiden and/or Resident Evil for Wii U come with those in-case things?

Also pretty cool, Sanuk Games commented on my video review of Bombing Bastards, I guess they do it for everyone but it's really nice the way I can interact with the devs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A throwback to what? The only bosses with multiple cycles like this were the end K Rool bosses.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Suaimhneas posted:

The best Zelda game is Okami.

I agree with this, but OKami is one of my favorite games ever period. It's a game where I acknowledge the flaws people find in it but don't actually dislike any of it. It also really hurt TP for me because I went into that almost directly after I beat Okami and it just felt like such a let down. The HD Okami is also still absurdly gorgeous.

Austrian mook posted:

If the rumors are true (which they probably aren't) Dixie Kong is one of the last unleaked characters for Smash. The biggest thing in favor of her being in the game is that she was listed in a twitter leak a little while back that listed the last few unleaked characters, and so far it's been pretty spot on (getting even Shulk and Duck Hunt Dog right). Of course it still was just a random unsourced list so it could be complete bullshit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Tropical Freeze has been my favorite game in a long while. I don't remember the last time a gorgeous big budget platformer was this demanding and satisfying.

I'll also go ahead and say I really enjoy the bosses. Learning the patterns is a lot of fun and they are loving unforgiving. I can see not liking them or finding them tedious but to me it feels like a throwback in a very real way.

I wish they'd put out dark souls on the Wii-U. Or the Witcher series.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

There's always Monster Hunter.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Tropical Freeze was simultaneously more fun and more difficult with a partner.

My friend and I co-oped the whole game as I didn't really play it much alone, and the bosses sound like they're much easier with 2 guys & 3 hearts each, but for a ton of levels we got about 5 game overs before passing them. The system of not being able to buy hearts/lives in a world until you unlock the house made it tough too since we invariably got stuck on levels before the house unlocked.

There are also an unfortunate number of gimmicks that remove the 1P 2P distincion so we took self-imposed turns (mine carts, rocket barrels, animal friends). And there are a lot of sections, especially the octopus swimming level, where you just have to be resigned to leaving one person behind because you can't afford to wait and it's too tight to have both players do it perfectly.

A fun game overall, for sure. I think 3D World had a better fun:frustration ratio, but I love how couch play is making its way into all these big Wii U games.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I played the demo actually - seems pretty DS-like.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What are some platforming games with really good boss fights?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

What are some platforming games with really good boss fights?

I've heard shovel knight fits that criteria.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Mega Man, X, Zero generally have some good ones, although they can be ridiculous or trivial depending on the weapons you use.

Arguably the Bowser chase sequences from the end of some of the NSMB games. Mario 3's Bowser was creative if not difficult. Also Yoshi's Island.

The Castlevania games have some memorable ones, if you consider those platformers. The mechanics are a bit bland though.

Metroid's Ridley fights.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

VelociBacon posted:

It doesn't have the Castlevania-esque adventuring elements - it's more like MMO boss raiding using a Dark Souls ethos to combat, where every move has its consequences. It's great fun!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

greatn posted:

A throwback to what? The only bosses with multiple cycles like this were the end K Rool bosses.

Throwback to having to memorize patterns and boss battles being big and difficult. Not necessarily to DKC bosses. It made me feel more like a kid than the bosses from say, Mario 3d world. It requires you to be patient and precise.

It scratched the hell out of my platforming itch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You had to memorize difficult patterns in Mega Man but those fights took a minute max. Some of the tropical freeze fights for half of it I feel like I'm watching a cutscene

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

If you came out of that demo with any kind of positivity you need to pick that game up, its a godawful demo that scares most people off because it just throws you into the middle of the game with no preparation. The entire game is nothing but those kind of boss fights you're talking about. Watching monsters and learning their behaviors, and then exploiting them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

VelociBacon posted:

homeless snail posted:

The descriptions people have given of Monster Hunter remind me a hell of a lot of the Witcher books. They tried to make it come across in the first Witcher game with the "research" bullshit to get certain monster parts, but the Witcher novels are absurdly technical fantasy books. They focus heavily on Geralt researching and preparing for his monster encounters. He always discusses what a monster can do, what its MO is, and what equipment he needs to properly take care of it. It never comes across as boring or "business-like", but they're very research-heavy stories, and Geralt comes across like a real professional monster hunter would if magic and monsters were real.

The descriptions people have been giving of MHU sound a hell of a lot like that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jsor posted:

The descriptions people have given of Monster Hunter remind me a hell of a lot of the Witcher books. They tried to make it come across in the first Witcher game with the "research" bullshit to get certain monster parts, but the Witcher novels are absurdly technical fantasy books. They focus heavily on Geralt researching and preparing for his monster encounters. He always discusses what a monster can do, what its MO is, and what equipment he needs to properly take care of it. It never comes across as boring or "business-like", but they're very research-heavy stories, and Geralt comes across like a real professional monster hunter would if magic and monsters were real.

The descriptions people have been giving of MHU sound a hell of a lot like that.

Do those books precede the games?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

VelociBacon posted:

Do those books precede the games?

Yes, though I don't think they were translated into English until the games came out.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

That's a pretty good description of Monster Hunter. You prepare for each fight, and then go kill the monster (or capture it) and make it's armor/weapons. It's an acquired taste but it's awesome. Plus you get all kinds of great art. The monsters, weapons, armor, and environments are all very well done.

Someone mentioned earlier that Monster Hunter sounds like Dark Souls, but I don't exactly agree. They're similar, but I enjoy Monster Hunter way more than the Souls games. Oh, and MH came first, so if anything the Souls games are like MH :)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I've heard shovel knight fits that criteria.

It totally does. It's a lot like Megaman when it comes to bosses, but unlike Megaman, there isn't a special power that that the bosses are weak to, which I liked because if you know the order to beat Megaman bosses in, they become more of a speed bump rather than a battle.

You get items and help along the way, but you are still usually relegated to your shovel as the only means to defeat a boss.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fremry posted:

You get items and help along the way, but you are still usually relegated to your shovel as the only means to defeat a boss.

Art imitates life, life imitates art~

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Even though Monster Hunter is the most mechanical game to play, I always thought the monster designs were really organic and natural and when you talk to people about them the discussion is always in quasi-biological terms. Like the kinds of environments that monsters prefer to be in, or what kinds of things they eat, or even like knowing that a monster has a really acute sense of hearing and might be stunned by loud noises or being aware that certain parts of a monster's body are more vulnerable or dangerous or whatever. Sure when you're playing you just reduce that stuff down to a flowchart in your head, but there's usually some kind of underlying logic.

I never read the Witcher books but playing the games kinda gave me that same vibe, and Witcher 3 is pretty much just gonna be eastern European Monster Hunter.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

I enjoy just about all of Shovel Knight's boss fights, but this simply isn't true. The Flare Wand, even just by itself, is basically one of your best tools against nearly all of the bosses as it travels all the way across the screen and doesn't use up a whole lot of magic, not to mention the fact that two shots can be fired in quick succession at close range to basically guarantee dealing a full point of damage to a given boss.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 4, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

I enjoy just about all of Shovel Knight's boss fights, but this simply isn't true. The Flare Wand, even just by itself, is basically one of your best tools against nearly all of the bosses as it travels all the way across the screen and doesn't use up a whole lot of magic, not to mention the fact that two shots can be fired in quick succession at close range to basically guarantee dealing a full point of damage to a given boss.

Right. Forgot about that one. I never really used it because I usually used the phase locket since health was a bigger priority for me.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

Right. Forgot about that one. I never really used it because I usually used the phase locket since health was a bigger priority for me.

Now, what is beautiful about Shovel Knight is that there are so many ways for players to have different experiences playing the game. You can do a no-healthboost run, you can do a run where you spend no money, you can do a run where you just don't use any magic, you can fight bosses and solve tasks a multitude of ways.

What's also beautiful is that Super Mario 3D World is currently on sale on the NA eShop for $40, holy balls

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The aesthetic and general feel of Monster Hunter really makes me wish it was open-world. I get that the series is all about the boss fights, but a spin-off where you explore a huge world and track down monsters would be awesome. The CGI trailer for Monster Hunter on the Wii seemed like it might be that kind of game, then I played it and found out the whole game takes place in basically large arenas. It's very good at what it does, I'd just like to see the concept get taken in a different direction.

And you guys are making me excited to finally get around to Tropical Freeze. Returns had maybe the best platforming design I've ever played. There were so many times when I died and I just laughed because I saw exactly how deliberately that spot in the level was designed to trip me up. Like luring you to chase after bananas into a trap, or encouraging you to blindly leap into certain death, but without ever feeling unfair. I can't think of another game that did that so consistently.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is so, so, so many degrees better than the first game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

The aesthetic and general feel of Monster Hunter really makes me wish it was open-world. I get that the series is all about the boss fights, but a spin-off where you explore a huge world and track down monsters would be awesome. The CGI trailer for Monster Hunter on the Wii seemed like it might be that kind of game, then I played it and found out the whole game takes place in basically large arenas. It's very good at what it does, I'd just like to see the concept get taken in a different direction.

And you guys are making me excited to finally get around to Tropical Freeze. Returns had maybe the best platforming design I've ever played.

Tropical Freeze blows the first game out of the water as far as level design goes. I still love the first game, but seriously, the entire "Africa" segment of levels is so well done, and each level leads into the next. In fact both that and the fruit jungle world do a really good job of that.

TF also has the pleasure of making the rocket barrel levels way more easier to control and they just look so cool and each has their own remix of the rocket barrel theme. Rodent Ruckus and the fruit factory rocket barrel stage are especially cool.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Thing that are better in Tropical freeze:

-level design
-visuals
-music
-bosses
-level variety
-more partners
-the stickerbrush symphony remix after the credit roll
-The ape noises DK makes
-No waggle to roll

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Things that are worse in Tropical Freeze:
--The number (or lack thereof) of minecart levels
--The length of some of the bosses, though their design is great

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Bruceski posted:

Things that are worse in Tropical Freeze:
--The number (or lack thereof) of minecart levels
--The length of some of the bosses, though their design is great

I agree, I would have liked to see more Minecart or Rocket Barrel levels

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Macaluso posted:

TF also has the pleasure of making the rocket barrel levels way more easier to control

:stare:

This has to be a joke. Right? Holy poo poo, if I'd played the first one I think I would've had an aneurysm.

Edit: I mean the rest of the game is pretty great, but uggghhh those levels

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The perspective shift in two of the mine cart levels blew me away. I was so pumped when that happened. It was a brilliant addition to the traditional mine carting experience.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Looking at that Tweet that Nintendo sent out with the release timeline of 2015, I've really surprised myself, but Xenoblade Chronicles X is the one I'm most excited for. Not that I'm not excited about all of the other ones, but I never play RPGs, and I'm just really pumped on Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Edit: I really want to be psyched on Mario Maker because of the possibility of community made levels, but I've been burned so much in the past with games that do that. It's so hard to wade through the crap to find the good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Square-Enix would love to bring Dragon Quest X overseas buuuuuuut...

I kind of see where they're coming from with this one.

• Locked thread