Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A whole hell of a lot of people are talking about weapons other than canoes here :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

from now on it's just Everything Warriors (except the civil war).

Hahaha

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Not really getting the hate for Yue Jin's weapon, the hookswords. They seem strong, and they're mobile as hell, and his EX is great. He's definitely become one of my favorite Wei officers to use.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

A whole hell of a lot of people are talking about weapons other than canoes here :colbert:

This guy knows what's up.

When Empires drops, I'm gonna make an arm blade dude and give all my officers arm blades and have a family with arm blades and create an army of genocidal surfing Chinese pirates.

Speaking of which, when is Empires supposed to drop?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Needs More Jazz posted:

Speaking of which, when is Empires supposed to drop?

It comes out in Japan next month, so we can probably expect to see it Stateside sometime in the first half of next year.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Weaponchat: more love needed for Jiang Wei's double-trident. They've got great range, they're pretty fast for a polearm and they're incredibly mobile. Comboing with double-tridents is also easy and feels really satisfying.

Honorable mention to the curved sword for crazy mobility and for Zhou Tai being the world's greatest samurai.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The rake is a joy and that no one is posting about its merit is disgusting.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I blame the dude who uses it. The most boring guy of boring guys.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Has anyone played Hyrule Warriors yet? What I've found looks pretty cool, but more first-hand experiences would be nice.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

TARDISman posted:

I blame the dude who uses it. The most boring guy of boring guys.

Take that back! Lu Su is awesome and a really chill dude.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

Take that back! Lu Su is awesome and a really chill dude.

I take it back now that I remember who he is. For the life of me I couldn't remember his name.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

TARDISman posted:

I take it back now that I remember who he is. For the life of me I couldn't remember his name.

Don't take it back. Lu Su is boring. :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The rake can only achieve its maximum potential if you mutter "It's time to rake out the trash" every time you switch to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Said I wasn't going to buy PS4 Orochi 3 Ultimate because I already have the original version and a bunch of other stuff to play and SW4 is out next month. I lied.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty surprised at how fun O3U is. The one complaint I have is that I'm not really sure why I should use a regular Musou instead of the 3-person team musou you get when you bring all three characters out. Is there some disadvantage I'm missing?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty surprised at how fun O3U is. The one complaint I have is that I'm not really sure why I should use a regular Musou instead of the 3-person team musou you get when you bring all three characters out. Is there some disadvantage I'm missing?

The enemy might underestimate you when they point and laugh at your tiny musou.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Crowetron posted:

The rake can only achieve its maximum potential if you mutter "It's time to rake out the trash" every time you switch to it.

I reserve that for the Storm Rush, or poorly sing a bit from "Use a Hoe".

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

Don't take it back. Lu Su is boring. :colbert:

Lu Su in the Three Kingdoms novels is far, far from boring. Lu Su in the game, yeah, he's sorta drab.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

5er posted:

Lu Su in the Three Kingdoms novels is far, far from boring. Lu Su in the game, yeah, he's sorta drab.

Lu Su in the novel is a hapless go-between who exists primarily so Zhuge Liang can demonstrate his tactical genius every time they talked.

And they he gets kidnapped and held ransom or something.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Have many here actually read the novels? I haven't but they sound rather inaccessible, even translated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, they aren't that inacvessible. The wording's stilted in most translations and there's lots of names being thrown around, but being familiar with Dynasty Warriors is actually helpful for that, since you have a distinct face in mind for most of the major players.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
The novels are pretty readable, provided you can keep track of all the names and places that are tossed around. The actual historical time period however (over a thousand years before the novel was written) is a bit more difficult, not least because so much info has been lost, and so many sources have not recieved an English translation. In many ways I find the history even more fascinating that the novel, as people who get rejected in fiction (such as basically all of Wu) shine historically. Manipulative bandit leader Liu Bei is far more interesting and nuanced than the goody-two shoes novel portrayal in my opinion.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pureauthor posted:

Lu Su in the novel is a hapless go-between who exists primarily so Zhuge Liang can demonstrate his tactical genius every time they talked.

And they he gets kidnapped and held ransom or something.

Or a statesman desperate for peace and stability that had a better inkling of how to play along with Zhuge Liang for the greater good, while keeping the Sun family's interests the higher priority.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

Or a statesman desperate for peace and stability that had a better inkling of how to play along with Zhuge Liang for the greater good, while keeping the Sun family's interests the higher priority.
And then there is TV show Lu Su who's got at least a strategic mind as both and whose disagreement with Zhou Yu is basically over timing.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Man, playing WO3 Ultimate, and Guo Huai's arm cannon just doesn't seem as good as it is in DW7 or DW8. Plus, I don't think he has Vampire Palm, which is a travesty and helps make up for becoming vulnerable at the end of his EX. Or maybe because the stage I played I was also using Ranmaru and Hideyoshi, two very strong characters.

I am very pleasantly surprised by the occasional XP rush drop which makes every grunt killed drop XP. It's nice seeing my characters rapidly level up after getting one.

Third, what is that Otherworld Invasion option in the options menu that's off by default? Is that what I think it is, like a Dark Souls-style invasion mechanic? Because that actually sounds pretty awesome.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Playing through WO3 ultimate, holy poo poo I forgot about Liu Shan. He gives none of the fucks. He'd give negative fucks if that didn't mean he'd have to give one at all.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Drakenel posted:

Playing through WO3 ultimate, holy poo poo I forgot about Liu Shan. He gives none of the fucks. He'd give negative fucks if that didn't mean he'd have to give one at all.

Well, giving negative fucks means that he would be taking fucks :a2m: I get what you mean though.

Also stop praising WO3U I told myself I would only get Destiny during this pay period.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh just do it. I'm getting O3U, Hyrule Warriors this month and Samurai Warriors 4 next month.

And Destiny next week. :shepicide:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

WO3U is really good. Eventually I will live my dream of having a team made up of nothing but people with firearms. :getin:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think my only complaints with WO3U is that the popin is really bad considering that it's on an actually modern platform (PS4), and that they actually make me use other people sometimes. What do you mean I have to raise bonds of Kai and and a bunch of other chumps to access some levels; I just to slash everything in half with Zhou Tai :argh:.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

I think my only complaints with WO3U is that the popin is really bad considering that it's on an actually modern platform (PS4), and that they actually make me use other people sometimes. What do you mean I have to raise bonds of Kai and and a bunch of other chumps to access some levels; I just to slash everything in half with Zhou Tai :argh:.

Also, raising compatibility with big star weapons is a pain. I just got some new guys, but no, can't use 'em unless I want to spend a few hours grinding compatibility.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, giving negative fucks means that he would be taking fucks :a2m: I get what you mean though.

Also stop praising WO3U I told myself I would only get Destiny during this pay period.

If you have a Wii U you can get Hyper for literally $5 or less, it's the same game except missing like two bonus characters.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RoyalScion posted:

I think my only complaints with WO3U is that the popin is really bad considering that it's on an actually modern platform (PS4), and that they actually make me use other people sometimes. What do you mean I have to raise bonds of Kai and and a bunch of other chumps to access some levels; I just to slash everything in half with Zhou Tai :argh:

If you played the PS4 DW8 port, how does it compare to that?

Also, for people not familiar with SW characters in O3U, hold down the button for their Musou. That tripped me up when I played it on PS3. :saddowns:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
If by 2 you mean 8 and 2 extra campaigns and I just want work to be over so I can go play it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Quote is not edit

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, for people not familiar with SW characters in O3U, hold down the button for their Musou. That tripped me up when I played it on PS3. :saddowns:

Unfortunately I only have the PS3 version of DW8/XL so I can't say. Definitely felt better on PS3 version at least though.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 4, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

It's not quite as pretty as DW8, and as stated, the enemy pop-in is annoying (though it does seem a bit better than in the PS3/360 version). Otherwise, though, it plays great. Slight framerate drops when lots of dudes are onscreen, but nothing severe; there's no slowdown that I've noticed.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I haven't really played a DW game before (besides trying strikeforce on the psp once) and I was thinking about trying out 8. I just want to make sure I've got things straight: There's DW 8 itself, and then there's 8XL which seems like it's DW 8.5 with so many added goodies they just re-released the game instead of making it DLC or something. But 8XL doesn't actually have the base stories from DW8, so to get everything you'd have to buy both games? Am I getting this straight?

I originally balked at the steam price being $50 when I could grab either of the other games off amazon for $30ish but if the steam version includes both games I guess it's actually the better deal?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Steam does include both games. XL is basically an old school expansion pack with some more stuff. Definitely buy it either on steam or on a next gen console if you can so you get the most content. there's also been a few sales with the game for half off so you could wait for that if you find 50 bucks too much.

My own question, how does WO3U compare to DW games in gameplay? I got access to a ps4 now so I'm thinking about branching out and trying that or SW4 instead of just sticking to DW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Davincie posted:

My own question, how does WO3U compare to DW games in gameplay? I got access to a ps4 now so I'm thinking about branching out and trying that or SW4 instead of just sticking to DW

More varied characters, more grinding, extremely goofy attempt at a plot with some cool setpieces. I can't comment for if the PS4 actually manages the cooler ones with a decent frame rate though, other consoles struggled a bit.