Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yes, let's put Putin in as president, what could possibly go wrong with that.

These people are aware that there is a country they can go to if they want Putin to be their president, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I'm so tired of Fox News.

edit: Nothing against House of Cards, but that is a stupid argument.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

:swoon: FRANCIS J UNDERWOOD :swoon:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've never seen House of Cards but does Kevin Spacey use that thick an accent as President Underwood?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've never seen House of Cards but does Kevin Spacey use that thick an accent as President Underwood?

Yes.

Show owns go watch it.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've never seen House of Cards but does Kevin Spacey use that thick an accent?

From the couple of episodes I saw a few months ago, I think he was actually toning the accent down a bit just now.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
It occurs to me that right now a northerner speaking in a fake South Carolina accent is talking to a person from South Carolina speaking in a fake northern accent.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Unbelievable. This is pathetic.

edit:drat. That last pic was brutal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:lol: at the Snowpiercer clip

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

That is so true, the Middle Eastern airlines have literal mini-condos in first class with private showers while economy is getting stuffed even more.

:laffo: the slave plane layout

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Sucrose posted:

It occurs to me that right now a northerner speaking in a fake South Carolina accent is talking to a person from South Carolina speaking in a fake northern accent.

I've never heard Colbert use any other accent than that one, how does he sound casually then?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I've never heard Colbert use any other accent than that one, how does he sound casually then?

Like an effete southern dandy I hope.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
So that's what the guy looks like. I still don't see why he's important enough to get interviewed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

No.1 Special posted:

So that's what the guy looks like. I still don't see why he's important enough to get interviewed.

He just wrote a book and is doing the standard book tour thing. His "What if" section of xkcd is actually pretty interesting. Basically the Mythbusters in blog format.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

RedneckwithGuns posted:

He always talks like that, he's said that he intentionally decided to drop his southern accent and imitate the Midwest radio broadcaster accent early in his career.

Personally I think it's kind of absurd.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
good lord that Randal Munroe guy looked uncomfortable

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
No Stephen, House of Cards is easily the most simplistic and worst "prestige" television drama. Stop shilling it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

No.1 Special posted:

Um, because his work is quite popular? Why wouldn't he be important enough?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

House Of Cards is actually really good, and any excuse for Kevin Spacey to be on screen is fine with me. House Of Card's idea of Washington is silly as poo poo and the story is unbelievable, but it's a show where Kevin Spacey plays a power hungry southern sociopath who even takes breaks to talk at the audience, which adds a nice psychotic level to the whole thing, it's a fun show. You're not allowed to hate it. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hemophilia posted:

House Of Cards is actually really good, and any excuse for Kevin Spacey to be on screen is fine with me. House Of Card's idea of Washington is silly as poo poo and the story is unbelievable, but it's a show where Kevin Spacey plays a power hungry southern sociopath who even takes breaks to talk at the audience, which adds a nice psychotic level to the whole thing, it's a fun show. You're not allowed to hate it. :colbert:

So its Richard the Third in modern day?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Was the sperglord from a webcomic that is only ever funny if you replace the last panel with goatse really the best Colbert could do?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I only vaguely know the comic, never read it, but boy that guy was pretty humorless. Just trucking through Colbert's jokes.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I was at the taping and Munroe seemed fine and actually made the audience laugh a few times, which is more than can be said for most guests. He was a little awkward, but he didn't stumble too much with what he was saying and all around did a decent job.

A bad night to be on though, he was completely overshadowed by Spacey. They made us sign non-disclosure agreements before going in, so I suspected a surprise guest. I lost my poo poo when I figured it was going to be Spacey about half an hour before he appeared (they filmed segments out of order and paused the taping of the first segment on a picture of the house of cards logo).

Colbert also did an interview with "Frank Underwood" which was pretty great as it was off the cuff with both of them in character rather than the prescripted thing that was shown, though I don't believe it made the final edit. Spacey couldn't help but smile when Colbert made his jokes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
House of Cards is a show where the main character has no character development after two whole seasons. Frank always wins, even when he loses, because it was ALL PART OF THE PLAN ALL ALONG. The overall message is "politicians are terrible; did I just blow your mind?" It's really remarkable how little substance the show has especially considering it revolves around politics and power.

It's the kind of show catered to people who thought Skyler White needed to shut up. The fact that the show's showrunner was comparing it to Shakespeare when he was a guest on Colbert is hilarious.

The show has nice production values, though. If you like Kevin Spacey, the show might be enjoyable if you see it as an extension of his public persona. I'm indifferent towards him and don't really get how he achieved folk hero status as if he's Morgan Freeman or George Takei.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frank Underwood is a middle aged career politician. Explain to me why he needs to have character development? Grown men balls-deep into their career are developed. Everything you need to know about Frank Underwood is established, and the show is simply about watching this wretched human do his thing. Not every story or character needs to have their central character change radically. Frank Underwood works as a poo poo-heel politician. His character isn't a cancer ridden school teacher cooking meth, and you're not meeting him at a turning point in his personal life or at a moment when his values are going to be challenged. By the way, Skyler White was terribly written for the first few seasons of breaking bad, and really only worked as a foil to Walt towards the end. Anyone defending season 1 Skyler as a well-written foil is crazy as hell.

Okay this isn't a house of cards thread, but the appearance was cool and kevin spacey is cool and house of hards is still cool. :catbert:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah the whole premise is basically ohh poo poo this dude wants to be president and he's ruthless and cunning as gently caress, how's he gonna do it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

rujasu posted:

Um, because his work is quite popular? Why wouldn't he be important enough?

Because his "work" consists of a stickman webcomic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Because his "work" consists of a stickman webcomic.

Also that it's terrible.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
That's a lovely restaurant idea.

This poo poo is absurd.

fakeedit:Jesus Christ Alaska.

edit:gently caress this guy and people who think like him. We're bullying children now.

No.1 Special fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 5, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This poo poo is ridiculous.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I can't think of a better name for this thing than Operation: Normandy, it's the best.

How dumb do you have to be to not see what's wrong with that name.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
This guy's face looks so punchable.

Ha, "I'm just going to continue to not say anything and watch you look uncomfortable."

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"The Latinization of America." Good christ.

Spanish equal to English, oh nooo! However shall we cope? :ohdear:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Equality = White Slavery
Diversity = White Genocide
Press 1 for English = White Oppression

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

HOLY poo poo! :stare:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jesus Christ. I think he set a new rear end in a top hat record.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh god those Democratic attack adds. They're going to lose the Senate.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

"The Latinization of America." Good christ.

Spanish equal to English, oh nooo! However shall we cope? :ohdear:

With white gangs, duh.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Man, Colbert's audience was super obnoxious today. There was one dude that made howler monkey noises every other sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Man, Colbert's audience was super obnoxious today. There was one dude that made howler monkey noises every other sentence.

Yeah, but I'll take it over hooting laughter guy.

• Locked thread