Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think they could have made undead crypt another darker zone, giving you a use of that giant torch hallways and the choice of not-offending gravewarden Agi-D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the way they pulled it off is pretty chill. In the gutter it's ok to be constantly holding a torch because the enemies are 90% zombie hollows. When you light up the hallway in Aldia's keep holy crap that was a big reveal and I practically pooped my pants when I saw that ogre just chillin'.

also did you know you can light up the lost sinner's arena :O

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Last part of my DLC playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFlj1UrRSs

Zedd posted:

I think they could have made undead crypt another darker zone, giving you a use of that giant torch hallways and the choice of not-offending gravewarden Agi-D

It really really really bothers me that there's lit torches about 30ft from Agdayne and also he doesn't react when you light all those gigantic ones in the statues.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

It really really really bothers me that there's lit torches about 30ft from Agdayne and also he doesn't react when you light all those gigantic ones in the statues.
I like to pretend he is one of those pedantic neighbors, he can't do poo poo about what is there or happens next to him. But don't you dare change something that is even slightly on his side of the room. :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Genocyber posted:

50 extra scaling bonus is loving huge. Unless you really want to use heavier armor, there's no reason not to use it.

They only give 30 and cause you to lose 100 physical defense, which is pretty significant, especially if you're a caster and thus likely in light armor anyway.

It's also a questionable mechanic in the first place. It would be cool for the first playthrough, then be annoying in all future ones when you absolutely have to carry a torch or have memorized level layouts exactly.

I believe they give you 30 base, and then additional damage if it had native lighting infusion AND additional damage with SLB on it.

I use it constantly and its pretty rad.

I'm currently sporting the Flynn's Ring, ROB +2, Cloranthy Ring +2/Stone Ring, and the Lightning Clutch Ring. Thoughts?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do spell buffs split the damage on a weapon at all, or is that just infusion?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

poptart_fairy posted:

Do spell buffs split the damage on a weapon at all, or is that just infusion?

Infusion. Buffs simply add damage on top of a weapon. If it has an infusion on it the buff adds damage in a slightly different way.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Does the Simpleton's Ring really have much practical purpose? The 5 extra adaptability doesn't count for much when you've already got 20 and some attunement. Enemies don't seem to react to it, and it doesn't appreciably obfuscate your rolling direction or immediate actions in PvP.

I still use it because it looks so :krad:, but is there some useful quirk to it that I'm missing?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Cathair posted:

Does the Simpleton's Ring really have much practical purpose? The 5 extra adaptability doesn't count for much when you've already got 20 and some attunement. Enemies don't seem to react to it, and it doesn't appreciably obfuscate your rolling direction or immediate actions in PvP.

I still use it because it looks so :krad:, but is there some useful quirk to it that I'm missing?

It's pretty much just the +5 ADP. It's there to enjoy the company of the Rings of Prayer, Knowledge, Strength, and Dexterity.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
^I thought the simpleton's ring actually raised your agility to the next i-frame breakpoint?

EC posted:

I'm with Geno on this, I doubt that it would have held up over long term use. I do wish there was an area besides the pit that made me use the torch, but I definitely don't want it to be the whole game.

I've no idea how it would've turned out, but I wish they had stuck with the original design. A brave failure is more interesting than a bland success. I like DS2 well enough, but it really is more of the same. I think the devs got scared because the torch element didn't playtest well, but I remember hearing something similar happening with the Thief games. The playtesters didn't think the original game was fun, so the devs added a bunch of awful combat sections. The game was released, everyone hated the zombie maps but really loved the core gameplay of sneaking around and it became a cult classic.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I've used it a couple times to bump myself from 100 agi to 105 without investing too many more levels. But really the best thing to do is just put on some black leather or shadow gear, slap the ring on, and be a spooky teleporting weeaboo ninja.

Or do like I did on my strength build, use it with the minotaur helm and some drakeblood/drakekeeper/raime's bits and be a spooky evil teleporting cow person.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

verybad posted:

I've no idea how it would've turned out, but I wish they had stuck with the original design. A brave failure is more interesting than a bland success. I like DS2 well enough, but it really is more of the same. I think the devs got scared because the torch element didn't playtest well, but I remember hearing something similar happening with the Thief games. The playtesters didn't think the original game was fun, so the devs added a bunch of awful combat sections. The game was released, everyone hated the zombie maps but really loved the core gameplay of sneaking around and it became a cult classic.

Problem with the comparison is that what they added to Thief wouldn't have tanked the frame rate or lead to the game turning into a technical mess. I was sad that the lighting's been neutered and everything, but I'd hate to give up the frame rate and fluidity we have with the current product.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

verybad posted:

^I thought the simpleton's ring actually raised your agility to the next i-frame breakpoint?

It doesn't raise agility directly. If you plan correctly you can use it to go from 100 to 105 or whatever but that's through raising ADP, and as aforementioned, rings that raise stats in a game where matching isn't based on SL are useless.

However if you don't wear it I'll know you aren't a cool kid so you'd best fashion up.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Heide Spear is pretty crazy at high stats, I was actually quite surprised by it. Would adding the Lightning Clutch Ring in addition to RoB/Flynn's/Leo be much help to a Lightning Heide Spear? I'm sure there's plenty of other things that could go in that slot, of course, but if the idea was to maximize the spear's damage it seems like those four rings would be the way to go about it.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkpxi6ZjNBA
This just made my morning.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
As mentioned earlier, the Old Leo Ring isn't great with the Heide Spear because only the physical damage is considered as thrust damage so it doesn't gain the full benefit. You're probably better off using something else unless you're really just going for max damage.

The Heide Spear is probably one of the best weapons to actually use the Lightning Clutch Ring with; it adds 36 lightning damage if lightning infused, and 30 otherwise.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RabidWeasel posted:

As mentioned earlier, the Old Leo Ring isn't great with the Heide Spear because only the physical damage is considered as thrust damage so it doesn't gain the full benefit. You're probably better off using something else unless you're really just going for max damage.

The Heide Spear is probably one of the best weapons to actually use the Lightning Clutch Ring with; it adds 36 lightning damage if lightning infused, and 30 otherwise.
Would Old Leo be better on an uninfused Heide Spear, since it'd have higher physical damage? I forget how much total AR the Heide Spear gets when infused with Lightning.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Nakar posted:

Would Old Leo be better on an uninfused Heide Spear, since it'd have higher physical damage? I forget how much total AR the Heide Spear gets when infused with Lightning.

It'd be better, but you're better off going with a pure physical spear. I'm not sure if any of them have extra-high counter damage but if there are that would be even better.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It'd be better, but you're better off going with a pure physical spear. I'm not sure if any of them have extra-high counter damage but if there are that would be even better.
Spears I'm not sure, but Lances have higher counter damage than spears and I think the R2 charges do insane damage (although mostly for PvE stuff, using that in PvP is generally suicide).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If the R2 is what I think it is (slow multi-hit charge), it's useless in PvE because it doesn't do enough poise damage against a lot of enemies so it's basically death.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nakar posted:

With base phys stats and 50 faith it gets something like 210 phys 250 lightning, which can be pushed up to 290/290ish with the 3 +AR rings (it gets 4/5 of the benefit from RoB Flynn). Add Sacred Oath and Sunlight Blade and it hits like a loving truck.

It's even better uninfused but only at 40/40 str/dex

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tae posted:

If the R2 is what I think it is (slow multi-hit charge), it's useless in PvE because it doesn't do enough poise damage against a lot of enemies so it's basically death.

The last hit of the R2 charges, though, launch enemies so it can be useful if you time it right. Especially against crowds.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also counter damage is mostly my go-to for wrecking bosses, and many bosses have moves you can get off a full charge on and are big enough that you won't miss. You can basically ramrod The Rotten after a fist slam or something. Against regular enemies I'd generally prefer two-handing a spear or using a straight sword with the Stone Ring, but I could see a Lance with Old Leo's and RoB/Flynn basically disintegrating a boss.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

poptart_fairy posted:

Problem with the comparison is that what they added to Thief wouldn't have tanked the frame rate or lead to the game turning into a technical mess. I was sad that the lighting's been neutered and everything, but I'd hate to give up the frame rate and fluidity we have with the current product.

Yeah, I know, I was mainly thinking about the "torch as a gameplay mechanic" side of things. Some people at least have suggested that the improved lighting wasn't scrapped just because of performance issues, but because the gameplay mechanic it was supposed to go hand-in-hand with didn't test well. I don't know, I feel like a lot of the more mediocre areas in the game feel like they're lacking the finishing touches they were supposed to get, not because of being pared down due to performance issues but because somewhere along the line the design changed and it was too late to accommodate the new (or rather, the old) paradigm. I mean, Heide's & Wharf sure look hell of a lot more impressive than Lost Bastille, even on PS3 and I don't remember either of those having a poor performance.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Nakar posted:

Also counter damage is mostly my go-to for wrecking bosses, and many bosses have moves you can get off a full charge on and are big enough that you won't miss. You can basically ramrod The Rotten after a fist slam or something. Against regular enemies I'd generally prefer two-handing a spear or using a straight sword with the Stone Ring, but I could see a Lance with Old Leo's and RoB/Flynn basically disintegrating a boss.

On NG+ with an espada+flynn's/rob/leo I was doing 600 a hit to Sir Alonne and could usually get 2 counters in on one of his swings. With a drakekeeper greataxe, which is normally my highest damage weapon, I was doing 400 something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

This is amazing

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Who knew Silent Hill seizure monsters could be funny?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I farmed up the ruin sentinel set and I want to find a hammer halberd thing and shield that matches it. The mirrah shield looks ok but the only halberd that seems to have a hammer is the lucerne.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SHISHKABOB posted:

I farmed up the ruin sentinel set and I want to find a hammer halberd thing and shield that matches it. The mirrah shield looks ok but the only halberd that seems to have a hammer is the lucerne.

Archdrake Mace

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

poptart_fairy posted:

Given how well optimized DSII is, saying it would bring the FPS to unplayable levels is strange. I mean there are worse optimized games out there with a fully functional lightning system and they're doing fine. Basically my main beef with the whole situation is they axed it wholesale, at the very least leaving it as an (even hidden) option would work great for people who want to mess with their game.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I discovered just now that, if you invade a world near the throne-looking thinger near the first fire of Brume Tower, upon returning to your world without dying, Nadalia will talk to you. She says something like, "How kind of you... come to me, come quickly!". The sound effect seems centered on the throne itself, rather than the remains of the idol you stake nearby. Invading and returning directly on top of the idol's remains plays no sound, have to be right beside the throne.

What does this mean? gently caress if I know!

Orv
May 4, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Given how well optimized DSII is, saying it would bring the FPS to unplayable levels is strange. I mean there are worse optimized games out there with a fully functional lightning system and they're doing fine. Basically my main beef with the whole situation is they axed it wholesale, at the very least leaving it as an (even hidden) option would work great for people who want to mess with their game.

DS2 runs very poorly in some respects on last gen consoles, PC just got shafted by that as well.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

lordfrikk posted:

Given how well optimized DSII is, saying it would bring the FPS to unplayable levels is strange. I mean there are worse optimized games out there with a fully functional lightning system and they're doing fine.
I know it's easy to forget in the PC thread with people running postFX/SSAO injectors, but DS2 was also a 360 release and that's hardware that's almost a decade old. They probably wanted to prevent another "blighttown fps drop" mess to gently caress over people playing on that.

Personally i'd have loved to get a PC HD patch (like Sleeping Dogs offered) or something because the pre-"we gotta fit this in console RAM" texture assets looked a lot more varied and had a lot less visible tiling. But that's probably asking for hundreds of manhours of work.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 4, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Batigh posted:

I discovered just now that, if you invade a world near the throne-looking thinger near the first fire of Brume Tower, upon returning to your world without dying, Nadalia will talk to you. She says something like, "How kind of you... come to me, come quickly!". The sound effect seems centered on the throne itself, rather than the remains of the idol you stake nearby. Invading and returning directly on top of the idol's remains plays no sound, have to be right beside the throne.

This is rad as hell and I'm going to try it right now.
The lore implications!! The implicaaaaatiooooons.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

That looks pretty good. So like if my character has super high int and low str/dex then I should probably infuse it with magic right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
edit: whoops wrong thread

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drakekeeper%27s+Warpick

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
So i was just doing some co-op, helping dudes kill Sir Alonne. At the end of the fight he dropped a soul item (one of the blue glowy balls that is normally just a life gem) that turned out to be his armor chest piece. Does this happen on any other bosses?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Fume Knight on NG++ has a lot of health. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Batigh posted:

Confirmed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjyDluZWemg