Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there a way to force my miners to dig damp/warm stone? Theres an ocean above the tiles I am trying to dig out and I keep having to give the dig order every time they hit a new tile. Is there a way to do it in df hack or the base game?

Use dfhack's
code:
nopause
command, then run the command again when you're done digging so the game will still pause if you get sieged etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Thanks that worked. Also turns out there is no caves on my map until nearly the bottom Z only a few levels above the magma seas. Which I don't know if this is good or bad.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GenericOverusedName posted:

I've been running into a strange sort of bug. Sometimes my stockpiles/workshops aren't recognizing usable objects. Forbidding/dumping/unforbidding, changing stockpile settings, etc doesn't seem to work. Deconstructing / undesignating and rebuilding/reallocating seems to fix it, however.

Like, I'll have a shitton of empty, usable bags sitting in a furniture stockpile for near my farms that is just for bags. My millers are perfectly happy to use those bags to make flour, while my farmers workshop says there's no bags available to shove quarry bushes into. There's like 80 spare bags so it's not like they've all already been tasked. But if I tear down the farmers workshop and rebuild it, all of a sudden it will realize that there is now bags and it can let me tell dwarves to process plants to a bag.

Are you telling stockpiles to give to a specific workshop? Doing this makes the workshop unable to use any material the stockpile holds except what's in the stockpile.

If you have, say, a small bag stockpile that is giving its bags to the farmer's workshop, it will only use bags that are in that small stockpile.

If you tell the large stockpiles to give to the small stockpile, dwarves will move bags from the large stockpile to the smaller one, which will, in turn, allow the workshop to continue work.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Bad Munki posted:

Ever since the RNG named one of my forts "Catballs," every one of my forts has been named "Catballs."

Mine is "Craterpillars"

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Neurion posted:

It seems the warning appears when damp/warm stone is discovered, so maybe try using reveal and dig out your stuff, then unreveal afterwards?
I think if you do this, the dwarfs can't path in the area after you unreveal.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Tom Smykowski posted:

I think if you do this, the dwarfs can't path in the area after you unreveal.

just redesignate the tiles to be dug after unreveal and they should zip through them pretty fast revealing them with each inappropriate dig site error

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Ever since the RNG named one of my forts "Catballs," every one of my forts has been named "Catballs."

it's probably cliché at this point, but I can't resist naming my forts "[Word describing the general environment]murdered"

Glacier fort? Frostmurdered.
Desert fort? Sandalmurdered.
Evil forest? Horrormurdered

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tower nearby? Murdermurdered.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I finally started playing the new version again, after DF Hack was functioning.

quote:

In 2, The Lesser Fly of The Folded Spider founded Minttorment.

This is going to be a good world.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Never seen this before

It came in on an elven caravan, breaking out of one of their clearly inferior :airquote:grown wood:airquote: cages

I sure hope it only happens with vermin, cause I tend to be pretty negligent with letting lots of caged goblins and trolls pile up

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

super fart shooter posted:

Never seen this before

It came in on an elven caravan, breaking out of one of their clearly inferior :airquote:grown wood:airquote: cages

I sure hope it only happens with vermin, cause I tend to be pretty negligent with letting lots of caged goblins and trolls pile up

I've had naked mole dogs break out of cages. I left some cage traps in the cavern when I decided to wall it off for later. The cages held for at least a season before they broke out.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

super fart shooter posted:

Never seen this before

One of the bugfix releases after the most recent version included a fix for a (very) longstanding bug where vermin could only break out of artifact traps. Most people probably never trap their own vermin, let alone use artifact traps for it, so most people have probably never seen the message before. As far as I know, this only applies to vermin in traps and not prisoners in cages.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I realized that trying to make a 150 z layer deep minecart track was never going to work. A bunch of the layers of track had digging errors in them leading to non functional ramps. I should have used a macro to dig all that poo poo.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Are any of the 3D visualizers updated for DF2014 yet?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Are any of the 3D visualizers updated for DF2014 yet?

Danny Gland's using something in the new DF Let's Play, Fogwall. Probably Stonesense.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
It is indeed stonesense.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Man this game. No other game can make me forget to eat while I'm trying to figure something out. And the feeling you get when you finally solve some little problem in what you're trying to do reminds me a lot of programming. Anyway, I feel like I finally got the hang of minecarts now, and naturally instead of using it to perhaps ease the load of hauling tons of ore down 150 z-levels, or finished goods back up from the forges, bee-lined for a 5(+) round semi automatic shotgun defense of the main hallway.

Click here for the full 1280x744 image

Seen here in the aftermath of spraying captured goblins and elves at some invading trolls, followed by about 80 lead bars and then 10 statues. Still more micromanagement than I'd like to stop a pileup that prevents fast firing, but good enough. My dwarves are on the verge of mutiny from carrying minecarts and bins hundreds of z-levels with no assistance from the forges but really, can you put a price on securing dwarven freedoms through over-wrought Rube Goldberg type schemes? No, you can't.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
So, a friend of mine was looking at Worst Things for Sale, and he found this Amazon review. What does this have to do with Dwarf Fortress? Well, let's just say it's Life imitating art...

They dug too deep.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey, check it out! :siren: Another version we're not going to touch for a while!

Toady One, 0.40.11 posted:

Here is the first release for September! As usual, a few bugs like sleep screwups, cowardly companions and wandering children might persist for a while into old saves until the system clears itself out.

Major bug fixes
  • Accounted for site populations properly when moving around (stopping doubling in lairs/player forts)
  • Removed the old animal people camp items, as they cause duplication errors and will work with a better overall army framework later
  • Handle some more instances where led creatures could drag their leader into conflicts (a dwarf caging a goblin, for example)
  • Made historical figures react properly to historical undead
  • Made chained animal checks respect z coordinate properly
  • Gave your companions a bit of a courage boost in terms of intervening in conflicts
  • Fixed some problem with resource stockpiles causing shop types to revert on insurrection

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Made dwarf children not seek their mothers when idle, especially in violation of area restrictions
  • Made dwarves prefer claimable rooms to dormitory master beds
  • Stopped uninjured dwarves from sleeping in beds in active hospital zones
  • Tried to make items in markets/homes match races more closely (cannot be completed until later -- right now, resources are based on original site owners)
  • Stopped brief necro master-apprentice relationships from forming in towns
  • Stopped other necro tower townish behavior like fake grazing disputes
  • Made sleeping on the floor respect burrow assignments
  • Made strength/agility/tissue layer effects work for gaits (Quietust)
  • Stopped overuse of plant structure tag causing people to say they preferred to eat trees
  • Fixed other issues causing dwarves to be able to prefer the wrong (generated) materials
  • Stopped adventure skill list from overflowing on status screen
  • Discounted rust when listing relevant skill for squad candidate
  • Stopped evaporation of 1/7 liquid when over 7/7 liquid of the same kind
  • Made flying adventurer able to fly over ramps without using them
  • Fixed missing bindings for animal training keys (Quietust)
  • Adjusted firing rate for projectiles again to make them more like the older versions
  • Made adamantine clothing available in arena

Band names bolded.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

some family of like 10 14 children just showed up to my fort

their parents showed up too, the relationship list would put a vampire to shame

his ONLY SKILL is potter, am i meant to feed all these guys

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Dreggon posted:

How many of the children are close enough to adulthood that it would be worth keeping them?

Keep those. The rest are forfeit.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

So I turned on fastdwarf in dfhack

dats a lotta fish

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Glory of Arioch posted:

So I turned on fastdwarf in dfhack

dats a lotta fish

Man I love fastdwarf for actually getting poo poo done in Masterwork but the gargantuan piles of fish always make me feel like a cheater.

That and everyone moving 10x faster in combat making all fights trivial. But maybe that's fixed now that combat and movement speed are seperate.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Dreggon posted:

no, you're meant to build a dwarven school of magic

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Is there any way to make my dwarves practice climbing? I never see it happen in fort mode. I had a miner dwarf stay at the bottom of the pit s/he had mined out, from soil, which should have been climbable but they didn't even try.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I dunno, I've had miners climb out of open quarries just fine. With soil walls, too.

Do physical characteristics affect climbing? Could they possibly have just been too frail to hold own their bodyweight?

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

GenericOverusedName posted:

I've been running into a strange sort of bug. Sometimes my stockpiles/workshops aren't recognizing usable objects. Forbidding/dumping/unforbidding, changing stockpile settings, etc doesn't seem to work. Deconstructing / undesignating and rebuilding/reallocating seems to fix it, however.

Like, I'll have a shitton of empty, usable bags sitting in a furniture stockpile for near my farms that is just for bags. My millers are perfectly happy to use those bags to make flour, while my farmers workshop says there's no bags available to shove quarry bushes into. There's like 80 spare bags so it's not like they've all already been tasked. But if I tear down the farmers workshop and rebuild it, all of a sudden it will realize that there is now bags and it can let me tell dwarves to process plants to a bag.

Are you using burrow's at all? I had a similar issue recently with my brewer saying he did not have any brewable items available despite a full plump helmet stockpile nearby. Turns out an inactive burrow was covering the brewery but did not extend across plant stockpile. Deleting the burrow fixed it straight away.

Aug 24, 2011

6 months in, i've gotten about 40 dwarven children immigrants, not a single one of the adult migrants had a skill above adequate/novice EXCEPT for a Great Animal Trainer (thanks that really doesn't help) and im already being sieged by goblins

i thought these guys weren't meant to show up for at leaast a year or two, it's like i'm playing the orc mod except that's probably easier

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dreggon posted:

6 months in, i've gotten about 40 dwarven children immigrants, not a single one of the adult migrants had a skill above adequate/novice EXCEPT for a Great Animal Trainer (thanks that really doesn't help) and im already being sieged by goblins

i thought these guys weren't meant to show up for at leaast a year or two, it's like i'm playing the orc mod except that's probably easier

That has been confirmed to be a bug of sorts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

I've had invaders the first year in this version, yeah. Sometimes just recruits with no weapons or armor at all, sometimes skilled fighters with iron arms and armor. Before turning off secrets I had a necromancer with a fully armored zombie fighter show up the first year. The living world seems to have supplanted the difficulty curve entirely. Titans still won't arrive until you have 80 dwarfs and big wealth, but everything else just shows up whenever.

You can just wait them out though. So far I haven't gotten any trolls in the first couple years, and without building destroyers all you need is a locked door or hatch to keep out the goblin invaders. Lock your front entrance with a bridge and even trolls can't get in. They hang around for a season, kill any animals you've left outside and maybe some wildlife, and then leave on their own. At worst you miss a single caravan.

If you are low on food you can break into the first cavern layer. Plant gathering and fishing don't take much skill to produce lots of food. Seeds from cavern plants can be used to expand your farms. Just hope that you don't get an early forgotten beast.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I don't think the non-lethal stuff is really working as intended. I met a strange guy living alone in a house in the woods, he was a spearman. I pinched him to wake him up and he didn't wake up, so I went to sleep next to him. When he woke up he was SUPER PISSED OFF at me. I tried calming him down with a friendly headlock, but to no avail. After he regained consciousness I asked if he would like to yield.

"NEVER!"

So I started kicking him in the rear end. Eventually he got freaked out and tried to run away. I chased after him shouting for him to cease this violence (the friendliest option?) He refused. Finally I kicked his legs out from under him and begin to slowly stave in his kidneys with my boot. He refused to yield until my companion returned from murdering a stray buzzard and stuck a spear in his skull, shouting "Ast StormTrumpets has slain Udil SwampWasps! This is great!".

Aug 24, 2011

a camel just killed four of my guys, since when are those dangerous

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bite and shake until the dude passes out from the pain and bleeding, then trample the skull in. Efficient and effective.

Anything 1.) bigger than you that 2.) can bite is a menace to anything not wearing plate mail.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Dreggon posted:

a camel just killed four of my guys, since when are those dangerous

Since some bugger thought it would be a good idea to try and ride a spitting lumbering humped thing.

Aug 24, 2011

the goblins came back and most of them died to some traps i set up

now the rest of them are just standing there and not leaving

i can't meet any humans because they keep invading me in spring

e: one of my dwarves is now beating the poo poo out of another dwarf and I have no idea who started the fight or why, they're both content

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 5, 2014

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Dreggon posted:

the goblins came back and most of them died to some traps i set up

e: one of my dwarves is now beating the poo poo out of another dwarf and I have no idea who started the fight or why, they're both content

Probably this bug that was fixed in .11 http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7979

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
We are feasting on unicorn meats and organs, and wearing their hides as robes. Times are good.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I learned the wonders of the clothing industry when half my fort was naked. Some dwarf who was really mad about being naked just started beating the poo poo out of everybody. I hadn't setup a prison either at that point had no idea how to deal with him. I had realized my mistake a while earlier and had 2 clothiers making clothing full time and had mostly caught up with the back log but it was too late for this one guy. By the time he went berserk all he was missing was shoes but had so many bad thoughts from earlier on his mood was really bad.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
You may have been able to make a burrow and assign him to it, then lock him in a room until he calms down, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

It's a .11 fort, neither one of these two guys has any negative thoughts, I stationed the military in the room and they didn't do anything, and both of them have family members and fortress mood is on the way down already

I'm tempted to just kill the one I don't need before he kills the grower (who is losing btw) but I get the feeling that would cause one of those "enemy of the fort/civ" bugs and then I'd really be hosed