Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Can I focus mostly on melee or will adding something Faith or Int based into the mix help out immensely with certain bosses? I want to do a strength based build (still deciding on weapon) but I'm really iffy on point distro, the added stats in this from DK1 are a bit confusing. Should I be dumping most of my points into defensive stats at the beginning (Vit/End/Vig)? How much adaptability should I be aiming for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
On my first play through I had essentially no idea what I was doing and was playing mostly behind a shield with a mace. I put most of my points into strength, and then spread them out every once in a while into endurance and vigor, and vitality if I found my encumbrance was over 100% (though really under 70% is where youw ant to be to avoid the fat roll). Once I discovered that adaptability increased poise I dumped a lot of points in there and I felt like my game improved a lot. For a melee strength build character I think the important stats are all those: vigor, endurance, vitality, strength and adaptability.

Putting points into faith and int will increase your fire, magic, lightning and dark resistance but I don't think it's really necessary unless you feel more comfortable with higher numbers in those sections. I still have 5 int and 5 faith on my 180 something SL NG+ guy right now. Just dodge the elemental based attacks (dodge everything I mean).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Can I focus mostly on melee or will adding something Faith or Int based into the mix help out immensely with certain bosses? I want to do a strength based build (still deciding on weapon) but I'm really iffy on point distro, the added stats in this from DK1 are a bit confusing. Should I be dumping most of my points into defensive stats at the beginning (Vit/End/Vig)? How much adaptability should I be aiming for?

Adaptability matters in terms of how it and Attunement affect your agility. 100 to 105 agi is a good range, that gives you a roll about as good as DS1's fastroll.

Stats are basically the same as the first game, except DS1's endurance was split into DS2's endurance for the stamina and vitality for the equip load (and resistance was transmuted into ADP). On a new character I prefer to get my agi up first, but really, it's personal preference. If you really want to min/max, Endurance hits diminishing returns at 20 (goes from 2 stam/level to 1 stam/level, stays like that 'til 99) and Vitality hits diminishing returns at 30 (1.0 max equip load per level instead of 1.5).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Awesome thanks guys. Are there any ranged options for tough mobs that don't require a steep stat investment?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Most bows, quivered with poison arrows. It's hard to miss the shortbow, and if you haven't met him yet, you'll soon find the wheeler-dealer who's got poison arrows.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Sven posted:

So i was just doing some co-op, helping dudes kill Sir Alonne. At the end of the fight he dropped a soul item (one of the blue glowy balls that is normally just a life gem) that turned out to be his armor chest piece. Does this happen on any other bosses?

While phantoming in that area, enemies drop their normal items. I've picked up a few katanas and Alonne soldier armor pieces there, but no lifegems.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hahaha dang so I just got the poo poo whooped out of me. Some guy summons me in Drangleic 1st bonfire, cause I like to get souls by helping people kill the bosses at the throne of want. The guy runs back towards the entrance of the castle and I follow him, thinking like, hmm, what's hard back here? I wonder what he needs help with.

Then we get to that hallway behind the stairs that wellager is standing on, the one with the two big useless green doors and the one at other end that leads into a small empty room. So the guy points down the hallway at the door, and I think "hmm, maybe he wants me to help him with a glitch or something?" I don't know, I'm naive. So I run down to the door, he points at it again, and I say ok I'll go in there. Nothing in there.

Oh, a box? I don't remember there being a box in here- host closes the door behind me and a red phantom poofs into existence and murders the poo poo out of me.

Laughed my rear end off, it was brilliant.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Speaking of lore implications, something I saw pointed out recently:

Vendrick + Sunken King + Old Iron King + Ivory King = Four Kings

Interestingly, Seath's soul is independent of Gwyn's and both are available in-game, but the 4K soul is not... how very odd! Also the whole thing about the Four Kings of New Londo falling to darkness and the Abyss does sort of actually match up with a few of the things Vendrick says in his memory and some of the storylines for the DLC. I wonder if they're going somewhere with that, and if they intended it the whole time. Not really expecting the bosses themselves to be mentioned, but in the same way the Great Soul holders symbolically mirrored their DS1 versions it'd be interesting if we're getting the same thing via the DLC without even realizing it. Can't wait for the third one to see what Vendrick says once all four crowns are collected.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seathe's soul isn't the same as the bequeathed soul fragment he had though, and the OIK had Gwyn's. It's an interesting thing to note, and if we got a new four kings fight that'd be pretty cool.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Seathe's soul isn't the same as the bequeathed soul fragment he had though, and the OIK had Gwyn's. It's an interesting thing to note, and if we got a new four kings fight that'd be pretty cool.

Four Queens for new final boss fight: fight Nashandra and all her siblings at once.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Four Pursuers who divide into smaller, angrier Pursuers when killed.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Red and Blue Smelter Demon team up with Black, Yellow, and Pink Smelter Demons and summon a Smelterzord that does constant fire, magic, dark, lightning, and bleed damage in an AoE around itself as well as using a sword that does all of those elements at once.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Four Pursuers who divide into smaller, angrier Pursuers when killed.

Matryoshka nesting dolls as a boss fight?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pffft.

You're all thinking small.

Four Dragonriders. :banjo:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
100 wheel skeletons in a room.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

100 wheel skeletons in a hallway.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Black witch set is my new favorite.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of playing Dark Souls. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always — do not forget this, Chosen Undead — always there will be the intoxication of souls, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who has no stamina. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a wheel skeleton rolling on a Hollow face — forever.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

A small-med sized arena with various types of cover, respawning consumables and 4 minigame-accessed minibosses (nashandra clones? sanctuary guardians?) that each cause a different type of enemy to constantly spawn in waves until the miniboss is killed.

A timer mechanic in the minigame prevents you from burning through all of the minibosses immediately, forcing you to fight and kill tons of normal enemies in the waves (perhaps a sequence of activated soul golem doors/platforms? The result is a war of attrition over ~20 minutes, and your reward for finally killing all minibosses and clearing out the remaining minion waves is the right to go back in time and fight Vendrick in his un-hollowed form for the "true" crown, which unlocks (??? secret area that ties into Souls series lore ???). Think Gwyn + Artorias.

Two friendly phantoms highly recommended, if not outright required to keep mobs off you while you complete the minigames.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

There's a bunch of dialogue in the files and it's different from the bits that the ashen idols emit, at least now we know where the first bit is from. It's kind of hard to discern what she says, but people pieces the majority of it together. Unsurprisingly it doesn't make much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrNCChTYew

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Every single boss fight again, in a row, Megaman style. This includes all three versions of Smelter Demon. Every boss is in his own arena and you pass to the next one via a nonsensical and jarring elevator.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Manus riding Ancient Dragon in a pool of water.

You're welcome.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bed of Chaos again with nothing different

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tetracube posted:

Bed of Chaos again with nothing different

Bed of Chaos on top of the Dragon God, so you have to go through the entire 2-3 boss fight every time you want to gain access to the Bed of Chaos arena.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

Bed of Chaos on top of the Dragon God, so you have to go through the entire 2-3 boss fight every time you want to gain access to the Bed of Chaos arena.

Oh, so they're trying to improve the boss run? That's nice of them. :)

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Smelter demons that randomly change their polarity when they high five each other after they get a good hit in.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Three flying beds of chaos.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I have created my ideal fashionsouls, but it uses 2 items of the same outfit; my OCD. :negative:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Lord Gwyn, Seathe, the Witch of Izalith, and Nito in a 1v4 cage match against you. Winner fights Manus for the championship belt.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Two Beds of Chaos on opposite sides of the Old Iron King's arena.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Four Iron Golems on the edge of a cliff.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

A single skeleton, balanced by From with infinite health.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Four Giantdads on the edge of a cliff.
Now we are talking.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Contribution to fashion souls screenshot thread:

ignore the health, i killed a LOT of dudes with this guy and that's what happens when you have lots of sin

EC fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 4, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What is that hat?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

What is that hat?

Leydia black hood.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zedd posted:

Now we are talking.
I'd like to see a Giantdad invader in the last DLC. Heavy armor, Pharros mask, Zweihander, deceptively fast rolls, does "Well, what is it?" on arrival or when you die to him.

Defeating him unlocks the gesture for DS2.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

woooo look I'm a ruin sentinel

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That reminds me, the Souls games have never done a boss-rush, right?

you know, where the bosses respawn if you don't make it to the end.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow dang this archdrake mace thingy has a nice move set. If you jump backwards and do a light attack it does a crazy spinny thing that will whack the enemy maybe two times in a row unless they roll in time.