Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Okay, I think I got it.

New battery arrangement (8x symmetry around an octagonal cubic girder) for maximum power and the whole thing on a plain old modular girder to mount it to the lifter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Rotate it so it is getting lifted on its side. It's probably small enough compared to the lifter that the lifter can overcome the imbalance.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

The maiden flight of the Error Prone and Unnecessarily Complicated. Getting the whole thing into orbit when I haven't unlocked mainsails yet was a little challenging. The screenshot was taken after I flipped the lander around so I can use it's engines for the insertion burn. The plan is to take one science pod down to the surface and back, repeat it three more times, then land the whole drat thing on Kerbin and get as much science as possible in a single mission.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Another way would be to put a radial decoupler and use an I beam or girder to link it to the launcher.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Okay, rad. Next problem: how do I mount this thing onto a lifter stage? :smith:

Here's old pictures of how I made an Ion cluster on my science vessel that went on a Joolian tour.

And a shot that best illustrates how it was hooked up.

The middle stack was slightly longer than the others and struts from the size adapter to the decoupler kept it from flexing.
Those Gigantors were not enough to allow thrusting at full power this far out, but as long as I switched off engines symmetrically there was no problem. And with the low thrust you have plenty of time to do that manually.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Okay, I think I got it.

New battery arrangement (8x symmetry around an octagonal cubic girder) for maximum power and the whole thing on a plain old modular girder to mount it to the lifter:

I don't see any panels. Don't forget to put on at least a few.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Do extended solar panels rip off in atmosphere on Duna as easily as they do on Kerbin?

nerox
May 20, 2001
The OP's mod section is pretty out of date and I haven't played KSP in some time. What are the good part packs these days to play around in sandbox, I don't need anything that enhances career modes.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Luneshot posted:

I really wish there were multi-part adapters from 1.25m to 0.625m parts, like we have for the 2.5m parts.

Use Tweakscale to scale the existing adapters?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80234-24-2-TweakScale-Rescale-Everything!-(v1-43-2014-08-23-52-UTC)

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

nerox posted:

The OP's mod section is pretty out of date and I haven't played KSP in some time. What are the good part packs these days to play around in sandbox, I don't need anything that enhances career modes.

Everything by Roverdude especially these two
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89401
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79588

The new B9
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92630

Spaceplane+ (soon to be officially included)
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80796

Kerbal Attachment System
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92514

nerox
May 20, 2001

Thanks, going to try these out.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME

nerox posted:

Thanks, going to try these out.

Station science is awesome, gives station/base building new purpose and challenges: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54774-0-22-Station-Science-%28second-alpha-new-part-and-result-strings%29

fine print is also amazing, adds new types of contracts: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88445-0-24-2-Fine-Print-v0-57b-Keostationary-Satellites-Kolniya-Orbits-%28August-18%29

VV woops!

triad fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 4, 2014

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Great mods, but he said sandbox only.

nerox
May 20, 2001
the 32 bit and 64 bit clients are crashing with these mods. Is the fact there are multiple modmanager.dll versions a problem?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Try using Active Texture Management for the 32-bit client (the 64-bit client is apparently just crash-prone anyway).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-24-Release-3-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So if I take B9 and remove all the parts that I don't want, and end up with mostly some utility things and a couple cockpits left, which dlls, interiors, and other files can I safely remove from it?

e: List of things I'm not removing, if that's helpful at all.

e2: \/ That's what I mean, is which dlls might not be required any more with all but those parts removed?

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 4, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

You should be able to remove any parts, but removing DLLs might give you trouble.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I built myself a tanker to carry all the supply crap my MKS base might need.

It weighs about 150 tonnes fully loaded.

Which explains why the wheels bent off during runway testing.

However periodically, when I try to switch to it, it disappears except for the rear engine, taking the planet with it.

So I unfortunately have to write the design off due to complaints received from the fabric of reality.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Do contracts actually check for existence of parts in the game before appearing? Lets say I delete a bunch of stock parts like the mainsail (to replace with B9/KW). Would I still get "Test the mainsail at blahblah" type contracts?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Flagrant Abuse posted:

e2: \/ That's what I mean, is which dlls might not be required any more with all but those parts removed?

I haven't peeked into the new B9 yet, but if you have no SABREs then you should be fine without ExsurgentEngineering, the fan updates taught me that. If you have nothing that animates you can probably go without Firespitter too, but I'm less sure about that. Cockpits pretty much need RasterPropMonitor.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
I vaguely recall someone compiled editor extensions and select root part into one mod? Does anyone have a link or am I misremembering?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

0.25 - complaints received from the fabric of reality.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
0.25 - Outsourcin' like NASA

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
The KSP launcher should have an animation counting down to the next version released. Or a livestream. Do it like a real launch, and even if there is a scrub or hold, its just authentic.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Okan170 posted:

The KSP launcher should have an animation counting down to the next version released. Or a livestream. Do it like a real launch, and even if there is a scrub or hold, its just authentic.

This is a pretty great idea. Same for the website.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So I have my ion science lander in orbit waiting 40 days for the transfer window to Duna (according to Kerbal Alarm Clock, though MechJeb's maneuver node says 43 days - what's up with that?) and I'm playing around trying to build SSTOs in the meantime.

It's hard! My attempts so far have gone with a turbojet and 2x 48-7S engines for vacuum, but I'm wondering if a RAPIER engine might be better.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 5, 2014

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I know about having constantly fluctuating Ap and Pe numbers when you have a low eccentricity orbit, but why am I getting them with highly eccentric orbits?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Longbaugh01 posted:

I know about having constantly fluctuating Ap and Pe numbers when you have a low eccentricity orbit, but why am I getting them with highly eccentric orbits?

Floating point imprecision is my guess.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OldMold posted:

Do contracts actually check for existence of parts in the game before appearing? Lets say I delete a bunch of stock parts like the mainsail (to replace with B9/KW). Would I still get "Test the mainsail at blahblah" type contracts?

You may have problems. I've been working on treeloader and the contract system doesn't do any error checking for parts or tech nodes. Stock works because contracts can safely assume that each part exists and belongs to a tech node.

OldMold posted:

I vaguely recall someone compiled editor extensions and select root part into one mod? Does anyone have a link or am I misremembering?

That was me. Look at my old posts or wait and I'll repost the link when I get home.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Jack the Lad posted:

...waiting 40 days for the transfer window to Duna (according to Kerbal Alarm Clock, though MechJeb's maneuver node says 43 days - what's up with that?)...

The two plugins use different algorithms to determine transfer windows. As far as I know, there is no one second of time that provides an optimal transit. There's a few days of range in there, I think.

...Actually, how do transits work?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Inglonias posted:

The two plugins use different algorithms to determine transfer windows. As far as I know, there is no one second of time that provides an optimal transit. There's a few days of range in there, I think.

There would be a single moment of time that is optimal, but there's a significant window of time where transfers are close to optimal.

A transfer window is the window of time where if you depart one body on a transfer orbit to another, you'll intersect that other body's orbit at the same time as that body is actually at that point. An optimal transfer is when your transfer orbit intersects each of the bodies' orbits at as close to a single point as possible. I.e., your departure and arrival are tangential to the bodies' respective orbits.

Transfers between circular, co-planar orbits are simple. But when there's eccentricity and inclination changes involved, you'll get different approximations with different methods.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Inglonias posted:

Layperson descriptions or maths? Layperson:

Slightly efficient version with some math? Imagine the craft can make an instantaneous burn to swing its orbit to the target, figure the travel time, and try to work out when the planets will be closest to each other given the necessary travel time between them. Imagine a spaceship starting at Earth waits until Earth is the farthest out from the sun that it can get, boots its orbit to Mars, and times it to land on Mars as the red planet makes its closest approach. Obviously Mars has to be behind Earth in its orbit and catch up as you fly out, so this gives you an idea of where to start. Reality doesn't usually work out so cleanly but that's the idea. (i.e. you want the closest approach within the next year, not the closest theoretical approach possible a thousand years from now)

Much longer version with nearly impossible math? Plan several orbits around one or more bodies, using a number of gravity assists and the Oberth effect and anything else you can get your hands on thus complicating the departure window calculation insanely but obtaining a program for transferring the orbit that uses a similarly insanely low amount of fuel. Computers do this for us now. But if you try to send something huge to Eve you'll probably need to do a version of this by hand.

Watch Scott Manley do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iehDzKYy7ac

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

revdrkevind posted:

Much longer version with nearly impossible math? Plan several orbits around one or more bodies, using a number of gravity assists and the Oberth effect and anything else you can get your hands on thus complicating the departure window calculation insanely but obtaining a program for transferring the orbit that uses a similarly insanely low amount of fuel.

SCIENCE! :eng101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Optimal transfers are sort of like setting up trickshots in pool that take advantage of the coriolis effect and play out over several decades. From the next room. On a table a million miles long.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 5, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Another thing to consider is that the "optimal" transfer window usually just takes into account deltav/fuel, not time. So you can get a really low fuel use transfer to Duna...that takes 300 days. Or you can find one that's a plus or minus a month from that, uses twice the fuel, yet arrives in 120 days. DV is a huge consideration thanks to that rocket EQ tyrant, but sometimes it's worth the extra mass.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

OAquinas posted:

Another thing to consider is that the "optimal" transfer window usually just takes into account deltav/fuel, not time. So you can get a really low fuel use transfer to Duna...that takes 300 days. Or you can find one that's a plus or minus a month from that, uses twice the fuel, yet arrives in 120 days. DV is a huge consideration thanks to that rocket EQ tyrant, but sometimes it's worth the extra mass.

To add onto that: I had a massively overengineered transport ship in Duna orbit that'd picked up a lander and was ready to come back. The optimal return window opened in about 300 days, but I plotted a trajectory from that brought me within Eve's orbit to get me back in about 260, so I arrived far before the ideal return window even opened.

Fluffy-dice
Sep 4, 2014

Higby is a server
Thanks for thread, been playing the game for a few years now and have learnt a new thing or 2.

A little off current progression.
Has anyone managed to create a rocket that would be able to land craft (basic lander / probe*) on every planet all from the 1 launch?

* - something that's able to travel on the surface and ideally return to the mother-ship in orbit, with it's collected samples, crew etc.

Fluffy-dice fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Paging Abysall Lurker, Paging Abysall Lurker, please pick up the - Green - Courtesy Phone.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You don't even need to page him; assuming the question regards landing a probe on each body and not return it, there's a video right here covering that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLIvJVGZD-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy-dice
Sep 4, 2014

Higby is a server
oh thanks. will look into it.. // watched : this is exactly the sort of thing i was after. cheers

Fluffy-dice fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread