Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elyv posted:

Yes.

One of my favorite cards ever.

I am very much looking forward to flipping him into Spelljack Guy. Repeatedly if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Molybdenum posted:

There is morphling, torchling and thornling. Did they ever make white or black lings? Wind reaver almost counts...

Not yet, they're waiting for the right time.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

It would seem weird and forced if they did this. Torchling made sense in the context of Planar Chaos, but do you really need to make one in each color now?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Esser-Z posted:

Well, I imagine some stuff is for after Theros rotates...

That's like 2 sets though. Chord is going to be around until Fall and Khans will only be around until the Spring 2016 set, so its not a very long period of time.

I'm just not sure why you'd almost ever want to play the 4GG one (See the Unwritten) vs. Chord. See the Unwritten has a conditionally higher upside, but I think its (quite heavily) outweighed by Chord being Instant speed and letting you Chord in anything you want. Chording in Hornet's Nest during the block phase is pretty powerful.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 4, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LordSaturn posted:

I am very much looking forward to flipping him into Spelljack Guy. Repeatedly if possible.

That works? He's already face up when he becomes a copy, no?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

It would seem weird and forced if they did this. Torchling made sense in the context of Planar Chaos, but do you really need to make one in each color now?

I think Thornling seems more forced actually. Torchling seems like a red themed card if you consider a fire growing or fading, but Green seems like a more static and permanent color, at least creature wise.

An angel who channels holy power into a shield or sword seems to work alright, and some sort of zombie ooze (Castlevania Legion?) with the last point of toughness representing the "core" are less of a stretch to me than Thornling

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

When Vesuvan shapeshifter flips it triggers morph abilities, similar to how playing a clone triggers ETB abilities. This was pretty relevant in Standard with Brine Elemental.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

It works, when you flip him he copies morph triggers because he is a copy as he flips up.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I think Thornling seems more forced actually. Torchling seems like a red themed card if you consider a fire growing or fading, but Green seems like a more static and permanent color, at least creature wise.

An angel who channels holy power into a shield or sword seems to work alright, and some sort of zombie ooze (Castlevania Legion?) with the last point of toughness representing the "core" are less of a stretch to me than Thornling

You realize that everything can be flavored one way or another and that such a card exists just because it would be enjoyable to play?

Also, let me get this right with some interactions: There is an Arrest on the field and a hexproof creature. I cast Clever Impersonator and name Arrest. When Clever Impersonator hits the battlefield, it'll be arrest without a target, but since the aura is now out there, it can stick itself to any allowed permanent, bypassing hexproof. Is this right?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

Also, let me get this right with some interactions: There is an Arrest on the field and a hexproof creature. I cast Clever Impersonator and name Arrest. When Clever Impersonator hits the battlefield, it'll be arrest without a target, but since the aura is now out there, it can stick itself to any allowed permanent, bypassing hexproof. Is this right?

Yep, similar to how, for example, Zur the Enchanter works, you can put Auras on him even if he has Shroud because they don't target.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Rinkles posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of rules text as source code!

If Vesuvan said "when ~ ETB or turns face-up" then it would be a triggered ability that goes on the stack, causing him to die of 0 toughness before getting to turn into stuff. The same thing applies to regular Clone, and explains why Duplicant bothers having P/T values - so he can survive his exile ability being triggered.

So instead Vesuvan, like most clones, says "as ~ ETB or turns face-up" which makes it a replacement ability. This means that it doesn't use the stack, can't be responded to, and doesn't target. Those things apply to all clones worded the same way, with the exception that while such a creature is on the stack, you can still get rid of stuff your opponent might want to clone; the "clone-ee" won't be chosen until the clone spell is already resolving, though.

In this specific case, Morph is a Special Action, so if your Vesuvan flips up to become Ulamog, your opponent can't sac their Ulamog in response. poo poo is already done with, get dunked on, etc. Also specific to this case, yes, he definitely does get the flip abilities when he flips into a morph guy, gently caress Pickles Lock forever, amen.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Yep, similar to how, for example, Zur the Enchanter works, you can put Auras on him even if he has Shroud because they don't target.

Well, that's a good start for white blue control post rotation. I'm sure I can figure out something to do with him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LordSaturn posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of rules text as source code!

If Vesuvan said "when ~ ETB or turns face-up" then it would be a triggered ability that goes on the stack, causing him to die of 0 toughness before getting to turn into stuff. The same thing applies to regular Clone, and explains why Duplicant bothers having P/T values - so he can survive his exile ability being triggered.

So instead Vesuvan, like most clones, says "as ~ ETB or turns face-up" which makes it a replacement ability. This means that it doesn't use the stack, can't be responded to, and doesn't target. Those things apply to all clones worded the same way, with the exception that while such a creature is on the stack, you can still get rid of stuff your opponent might want to clone; the "clone-ee" won't be chosen until the clone spell is already resolving, though.

In this specific case, Morph is a Special Action, so if your Vesuvan flips up to become Ulamog, your opponent can't sac their Ulamog in response. poo poo is already done with, get dunked on, etc. Also specific to this case, yes, he definitely does get the flip abilities when he flips into a morph guy, gently caress Pickles Lock forever, amen.

Appreciate the deeper explanation.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fadam posted:

What's that fully automated Cockatrice equivalent called again? How active is the community on it?

I assume you mean Forge, and it's single player with "really good for being fan made but not perfect by any means" AI. If it was multiplayer with rules enforcement theyd get shut down immediately

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mortimer posted:

I assume you mean Forge, and it's single player with "really good for being fan made but not perfect by any means" AI. If it was multiplayer with rules enforcement theyd get shut down immediately

There's XMage, which has multiplayer, drafting, rules enforcement, and less AI. It's good. Also a goon develops for it. If you're reading this dev goon PM me as I want to send you my patches. I added all missing Coldsnap white cards but it has a few bugs and my home PC is just too lovely for development unfortunately.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
This card seems strong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Attorney at Funk posted:

This card seems strong.

There we go. This slots right into Rabble Red.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Attorney at Funk posted:

This card seems strong.

loving glorious, I'm buying Rabblemasters as soon as I get home.

Now just give us another Jackal Pup, I don't wanna have to run Shock.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

But you have Firedrinker Satyr?

Edit: Also that War-Name is really good just because it can't be blocked by Elvish Mystics and Caryatids.

Which means it's priority number 1 against any deck playing forests.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Attorney at Funk posted:

This card seems strong.

Gore-house Chainwalker that gets by Caryatid? seems OK.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I really like that War-Name isn't brick walled by Caryatid on the draw. What's the second-best red 1-drop currently? Is there anything between Firedrinker and Foundry Street Denizen after RTR rotates out, or are we crossing our fingers for something in KTK?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

But you have Firedrinker Satyr?

We need another one, red is short of one-drops now. A 1/1 with a Raid ability wouldn't be great but probably playable, a 1/1 with Prowess would probably fit into Sligh just fine.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I really like that War-Name isn't brick walled by Caryatid on the draw. What's the second-best red 1-drop currently? Is there anything between Firedrinker and Foundry Street Denizen after RTR rotates out, or are we crossing our fingers for something in KTK?

I think Frenzied Goblin is next-best, so yeah we're all praying for something better.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

LordSaturn posted:

Even if they don't, there are already three playable one drops.

I wonder if there's enough warriors that the 3B enchantment is actually going to be a real card.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm entertained by the fact that that Aspirant has anti-synergy with Foundry Street Denizen. Not to say it makes either of them unplayable with each other, but it's funny.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I think you guys are being a little harsh on Ferocious. Granted, it's an ability we've largely seen before, but even a cursory glance at Naya shows a bunch of cards that don't do much of anything unless you untapped with 5 power on the board. Ferocious seems to be along the lines of "do X, but Y instead if you have a 4 power dude", which is going to be significantly more relevant than "this card only does anything if you have a 5 power dude".

We've only seen a handful of them, but I can see one or two Ferocious cards being constructed playable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The only bad thing you can say about that card is that it's kind of a nombo with Denizen

Edit, Beaten.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Spiderdrake posted:

Are you talking about Rakdos Cackler? Cos he rotates out. I want post-rotation standard with Foundry Street Denizen, Satyr Firedrinker, and some additional third Jackal Pup. To go with this facepunching motherfucker right here.

I'm also going to run 1x Roar of the Horde maindeck and two in the side because gently caress your blockers, Roar-Stoke to take you down from twelve.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Beginning to think that the successor to Rabble Red won't be Mono red.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Yesssss

Fuel for Clones.edh

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Attorney at Funk posted:

This card seems strong.

Welp, good thing my Jeskai control deck is gonna main 4 Anger 4 Magma Jet because this thing would be an absolute beating otherwise.

...is it weird that I'm only interested in UWx control after Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict leave the format?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Froghammer posted:

We've only seen a handful of them, but I can see one or two Ferocious cards being constructed playable.
There are already three.

Admittedly, that's power level, not actual in play context.

JerryLee posted:

I'm entertained by the fact that that Aspirant has anti-synergy with Foundry Street Denizen. Not to say it makes either of them unplayable with each other, but it's funny.
Raid is in some ways not a very red feeling mechanic - Red wants to do stuff before combat (which other, more patient colors, push back their glasses and refrain from doing with a gentle tsk noise). Like making hasty men or burning blockers before the whole team turns sideways, combat damage being the proverbial climax of your turn - but then I suppose it is a Mardu mechanic after all.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Rakdos or Boros aggro would be cool but it's a little ambitious to try and curve Soldier of the Pantheon or Gnarled Scarhide into War-Name Aspirant with just Bloodstained Mire or Battlefield Forge as untapped duals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

Rakdos or Boros aggro would be cool but it's a little ambitious to try and curve Soldier of the Pantheon or Gnarled Scarhide into War-Name Aspirant with just Bloodstained Mire or Battlefield Forge as untapped duals.

I think you're definitely going to want to being playing Soldier...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ungulateman posted:

...is it weird that I'm only interested in UWx control after Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict leave the format?

No, because you don't like your deck being completely degenerate. :can:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Attorney at Funk posted:

Shocklands in Standard have broken people's brains, I see. Not to mention there's also Mana Confluence.

If we want to talk about greedy aggro mana bases, how about Mardu aggro with Mardu Ascendancy, Brimaz, Herald of Torment and Prophetic Flamespeaker? :getin:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LordSaturn posted:

You can't run Shock anyways unless it turns out to be in Khans (not terribly unlikely, actually).

Spiderdrake posted:

There are already three.

Admittedly, that's power level, not actual in play context.
Raid is in some ways not a very red feeling mechanic - Red wants to do stuff before combat (which other, more patient colors, push back their glasses and refrain from doing with a gentle tsk noise). Like making hasty men or burning blockers before the whole team turns sideways, combat damage being the proverbial climax of your turn - but then I suppose it is a Mardu mechanic after all.

I will be very surprised if something like Relentless Assault isn't in this set.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 4, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Khans is going to have a multicolor theme, with great fixing and many reasons to play multiple colours. I don't expect many monocoloured decks, outside of the initial Mono Red Burn ones, simply because there will be no reason to limit yourself to one colour when splashing one more can give you much more stuff. Jeskai can get you neat tricks and enablers (like the flying one earlier), Mardu gives more value to non-hasty dudes, and Temur could very well include a decent curve-topping fatty, and if the fixing is as good as they want it to be, so that tricolour decks can be supported in Limited, I don't think there will be issues splashing a bit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ungulateman posted:

Shocklands in Standard have broken people's brains, I see. Not to mention there's also Mana Confluence.

If we want to talk about greedy aggro mana bases, how about Mardu aggro with Mardu Ascendancy, Brimaz, Herald of Torment and Prophetic Flamespeaker? :getin:

And Confluance is up to 15 bucks. Sigh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ungulateman posted:

I miss that Naya Human Blitz deck that used the insane manabase of shock-lands + cavern of souls to let you do things like Champion of the Parish into Burning-Tree + Lightning Mauler, swing for 7 on turn 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The clone :eyepop:

I'm a little disappointed with Threat-o-morph, since the "your turn only" limitation seemed a little unnecessary. Still not awful, I guess.

quote:

There was just one problem. Ray of Command was much more valuable on defense than offense. Yes, sometimes you would use it to attack, but more often you would sit back and use it to wreck the opponent during an attack. Red is the least defensive color (in the fact that it doesn't focus on being defensive—its direct damage can serve as defense in a pinch) so there was some debate about letting red have Ray of Command. The solution, I argued, was easy. If we want red to use it offensively we just had to make it a sorcery. Then that would be the only way to use it.

And that is why Act of Treason is a sorcery.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/255

• Locked thread