Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Siivola posted:

Take a first aid course or something. Maybe do some martial arts. Learn to read a map and go for a hike. Go shoot a gun. Fix your bicycle and go for a ride.

Stop browsing the internet and get out of your house, for gently caress's sake.

I was being more than a little hyperbolic, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tulul posted:

I was being more than a little hyperbolic, dude.
I was about ready to say that you'd have to be a complete and utter moron not to have some rudimentary survival skills.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
TG gamers

MadScientistWorking posted:

have to be a complete and utter moron not to have some rudimentary survival skills.

This checks out tbh.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Error 404 posted:

This checks out tbh.
Considering the fact that a lot of survival skills typically come up in the course of the normal lifetime its really disturbing though.
EDIT:
You know what you are right. After watching what happened during the hurricane that hit New York upon further reflection people really are that dumb.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 4, 2014

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Tulul posted:

2) If everyone stats themselves accurately, we're still all a bunch of fat loving nerds. I would last approximately two days (an optimistic estimate) in an apocalypse before dying of dysentery. How many of the people at your table have actual, useful skills? How many of the people at your table have maxed out points in Internet Browsing?
I don't fault anyone who likes the idea, but pretty much this. I have a very hard time imagining myself faring well in a zombie apocalypse, and playing out my own death at the hands of the Hungry Dead doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

On the other hand I have an even harder time imagining zombies being enough of a threat to actually cause a apocalypse in the first place. (Thanks, Cracked.com!)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Ewen Cluney posted:

I don't fault anyone who likes the idea, but pretty much this. I have a very hard time imagining myself faring well in a zombie apocalypse, and playing out my own death at the hands of the Hungry Dead doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.
I would fail horrible at the robot apocalypse.
:downs:: Hey guys I've got plenty of stuff that can help us fight the robots.
:d: Like what?
:downs:: More robots.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Considering the fact that a lot of survival skills typically come up in the course of the normal lifetime its really disturbing though.
EDIT:
You know what you are right. After watching what happened during the hurricane that hit New York upon further reflection people really are that dumb.

Yeah, I was 'this' close to becoming an Eagle Scout, I know how to hunt and fish and camp. I have survival skills. But I haven't really used any of them in almost 15 years, and in my current physical condition, even with that knowledge I wouldn't put my survival at more than a week by myself. maybe a month or two if I'm with a group.

Hurricane Sandy, and Katrina are a pretty apt model here.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, I was 'this' close to becoming an Eagle Scout, I know how to hunt and fish and camp. I have survival skills. But I haven't really used any of them in almost 15 years, and in my current physical condition, even with that knowledge I wouldn't put my survival at more than a week by myself. maybe a month or two if I'm with a group.

Hurricane Sandy, and Katrina are a pretty apt model here.
Hurricane Sandy and Katrina are what changed my mind as I think with Sandy I was watching people purposefully put themselves into a perfect scenario to electrocute themselves to death.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
If nothing else, many goons could be a useful source of food. Roll to overcome the social taboo of cannibalism, and the general unpleasantness of eating someone who has consumed mainly junk food for the past decade.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hurricane Sandy and Katrina are what changed my mind as I think with Sandy I was watching people purposefully put themselves into a perfect scenario to electrocute themselves to death.
Evacuation orders? Oooh, this must be a big storm! Let's grab the kids and go to the beach to watch the big waves crash in!

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Striking Yak posted:

If nothing else, many goons could be a useful source of food. Roll to overcome the social taboo of cannibalism, and the general unpleasantness of eating someone who has consumed mainly junk food for the past decade.

Purpose in life: provide an equipment drop for when the protagonist shows up.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

18 Character Limit posted:

Purpose in life: provide an equipment drop for when the protagonist shows up.

"They laughed at me for lugging that printer across town, but now everyone wants a human packmule!"

Are there any mechanics that model PCs having to do immoral/taboo things? Most groups I've seen tend to start murdering inconvenient people at the drop of a hat. I suppose in most settings people don't have great life expectancy, so death is more normalised, but I don't think that accounts for PCs' bloodthirst.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tulul posted:

Just off the top of my head, problems with the concept:

1) Dunning-Kruger. I mean, come on, everyone overestimates themselves to some extent, but it seems particularly present in nerds. Half of the geeks on the Internet seems to think that when the zombies finally arrive, their spirit animal Vin Diesel will reveal himself and draw out the katana-wielding badass that was within them all along.

2) If everyone stats themselves accurately, we're still all a bunch of fat loving nerds. I would last approximately two days (an optimistic estimate) in an apocalypse before dying of dysentery. How many of the people at your table have actual, useful skills? How many of the people at your table have maxed out points in Internet Browsing?

3) Everyone is going to argue about all of this the entire time and it is going to be awful. Come on.

4) Why would I want to play myself? I play RPGs to get as far away from myself as possible and to do and be interesting things.

I can see the appeal, but I think there are a bunch of problems you need to address. Doing it in a system where things are apparently broken up into the "social, mental, physical" categories also seems like a really bad place to start; play yourself seems like it would work better as a more narrative game.

I don't know. It could work if everyone is into it and knows to play it safe. You know, avoid, plan, run instead of fight. Then again, I wonder how that would work for a trpg.

Since this might be fun, my skill list would probably be:
code:
Finance, Accounting, and Management (Decent, judging from my current GPA and experiences in internships)
Wilderness Survival (Decent or slightly above bad, frequent camper, Eagle Scout)
Pistols and Rifles (Slightly above bad, trained in them and I go to shooting ranges, but I'm a poo poo shot)
Cooking (Slightly above bad to, perhaps, decent, I cook alot and I make some mean beef stew, but I anint no chef)
First aid (Slightly above bad, I'm trained in it and certified, but that doesn't mean much)
I think that might be it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

FMguru posted:

Evacuation orders? Oooh, this must be a big storm! Let's grab the kids and go to the beach to watch the big waves crash in!
Man being from New York I'm familiar with some of the areas that got hit by Sandy and I'm not exaggerating when I say that people thought staying on an island which at its worst is only about a mile wide is a good idea.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 4, 2014

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Covok posted:

Since this might be fun, my skill list would probably be:
code:
Finance, Accounting, and Management (Decent, judging from my current GPA and experiences in internships)
Wilderness Survival (Decent or slightly above bad, frequent camper, Eagle Scout)
Pistols and Rifles (Slightly above bad, trained in them and I go to shooting ranges, but I'm a poo poo shot)
Cooking (Slightly above bad to, perhaps, decent, I cook alot and I make some mean beef stew, but I anint no chef)
First aid (Slightly above bad, I'm trained in it and certified, but that doesn't mean much)
I think that might be it.

There are a vanishingly small number of Grow Food skills among the goon population. The most horrifying apocalyptic scenarios to me have always been ones where agriculture just stops and the damage that cascades from that. And if FFG released a design-your-own-apocalypse framework, I'd run one where staple crops just stop being viable (we can assume goons would last into it off of fat reserves alone.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I know it's a hilarious stereotype, but some of us are quite athletic and outdoorsy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zurui posted:

I know it's a hilarious stereotype, but some of us are quite athletic and outdoorsy.

Not you, of course.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wait, why would I want to play myself in an RPG? I suck at everything. And even if I didn't, all of those post-apoc ideas sound like those "nothing to do but 'survive'" ones where the only happy ending is the one where you slash your own throat open in the pre apoc phase. And while noble doomed heroes is certainly viable (Polaris, Thou Art But A Warrior), that doesn't sound like the mood they want.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zurui posted:

#notallgoons

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, why would I want to play myself in an RPG? I suck at everything.

Wow. Okay.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

18 Character Limit posted:

There are a vanishingly small number of Grow Food skills among the goon population. The most horrifying apocalyptic scenarios to me have always been ones where agriculture just stops and the damage that cascades from that. And if FFG released a design-your-own-apocalypse framework, I'd run one where staple crops just stop being viable (we can assume goons would last into it off of fat reserves alone.)

I mean both my grandparents were farmers and my mom and dad run a small farm that I've helped out on, but I wouldn't call it a skill. I helped till and know about crop rotation, but that's really it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I definitely wouldn't want to play myself in an RPG, because it would mean having to find one with coherent grappling rules

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
I feel like "playing yourself" would actually work kind of well for certain types of post-apocalypse games. It depends on the tone you're going for. Like, is this supposed to be a game where everything is hopeless for your average person and player characters are going to die in droves? Then, sure, trying to stat up yourself could be an interesting starting point, even if most of your players probably would not end up playing themselves for very long. For that sort of game to work, though, character creation needs to be pretty quick and painless so you don't feel a huge loss of time and effort whenever someone gets eaten by zombies or dies from dysentery or whatever. Games like Titan World make that sort of gameplay fun, because you're encouraged to just scrawl a few numbers on a fresh character sheet, jump right into things, and only bother to think of characterisation or more detailed stats if you manage to survive long enough to matter. It's kind of like an oldschool dungeon-crawl meat grinder in that respect, I suppose.

If your game idea involves semi-competent people actually surviving reasonably well, though, it's probably not your best bet.

Ewen Cluney posted:

On the other hand I have an even harder time imagining zombies being enough of a threat to actually cause a apocalypse in the first place. (Thanks, Cracked.com!)

That particular Cracked article is really wonky, because in order for its points to actually apply, it requires you to make a lot of weirdly specific assumptions about what the zombies you're dealing with are going to be like. They've also all been played with or averted by zombie fiction quite extensively over the years. (Specifically, in order: That zombies rot like normal corpses, that zombies rot like normal corpses, that zombies freeze when it gets cold, that the zombie virus only spreads through biting, that zombies are 'alive' and vulnerable to things like infection and incidental injury, that zombies have no basic pathfinding ability and cannot see in the dark, and that conventional weapons and tactics are as effective against walking corpses as they are against living people). I remember when I first read it, my initial reaction was "yeah, that sure is a good explanation for why this one variety of zombie you have designed specifically to be non-threatening is non-threatening, Cracked."

One of the things I liked about All Flesh Must Be Eaten when I ran a campaign of it was that it provided a pretty simple tool for statting up whatever kind of zombies you wanted to send after your players. It's based on a set of easy to understand/apply modifiers. In addition to normal slow shambly types, I threw in some super zombies with semi-human intelligence, so we got to do a scene where the players engaged in a highspeed chase/firefight in a pickup truck against a super zombie on a motorcycle. Not a huge fan of some of Classic Unisystem's design decisions, though. The exploding dice mechanic just always struck me as being needlessly complicated.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 5, 2014

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Does this game have mechanics for after you become a zombie, because I feel like when that happened (and it would) I would be a pretty decent zombie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If I played the game when I have a broken pinky toe does my character in the game, who is me, have to have a broken pinky toe too? I mean don't get me wrong, a broken pinky toe isn't going to slow me down, I just need to know for RP purposes.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Anyone got any comments on Iron Kingdoms? A local group I'm with is setting up a game for it, and I dunno if I want to commit to going or not, depends on if it's poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I definitely wouldn't want to play myself in an RPG, because it would mean having to find one with coherent grappling rules
Oh that's easy, just look behind the jar of hen's teeth. Next to the bull feathers.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I wonder if stats and/or quantitative analysis would be very useful in the Zombie Apocalypse.

If not, then my only other real skills are rather useless like preventing balls from going in hockey nets, scrabble, and trivia. Also posting :smuggo:.

Yeah, I think I'd be the first to get eaten.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

I wonder if stats and/or quantitative analysis would be very useful in the Zombie Apocalypse.

If not, then my only other real skills are rather useless like preventing balls from going in hockey nets, scrabble, and trivia. Also posting :smuggo:.

Yeah, I think I'd be the first to get eaten.

"Okay, so we're taking chi-squared here, #notallgoons, Solomonic, and me to go investigate the creepy retirement home full of zombie sounds while Covok teaches Valkri how to farm and The Grappler is on guard duty. I got that right?"

Two hours later: everyone dead. Solomonic pretty happy with new unlife.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
This discussion is just reminding me of the 2e D&D PHB where they provided examples of the different skills a typical highschooler would have.

And I'm laughing at all the people who are convinced they'd fold in any sort of emergency situation. Yeah, I'm real sure that you've got absolutely no reserves of hidden strength or ability to act under pressure.

Ahahahaha.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Effectronica posted:

This discussion is just reminding me of the 2e D&D PHB where they provided examples of the different skills a typical highschooler would have.

And I'm laughing at all the people who are convinced they'd fold in any sort of emergency situation. Yeah, I'm real sure that you've got absolutely no reserves of hidden strength or ability to act under pressure.

Ahahahaha.

I've got plenty of reserves of strength, but no ability to act well under pressure (anxiety issues, with pills and everything) so in the event of an actual apocalypse I would fall apart as soon as the drugs ran out.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

I've got plenty of reserves of strength, but no ability to act well under pressure (anxiety issues, with pills and everything) so in the event of an actual apocalypse I would fall apart as soon as the drugs ran out.

You actually don't know that, seeing as you've never been in that sort of situation and even if you've been in a similar one like getting lost hiking or biking far from inhabited places, you obviously made it out OK.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really think most people would actually do fine in an apocalypse scenario, except for nerds who planned for them because they lack the social skills which would actually be pretty vital and you know people who can't out walk zombies/aliens/robots.

Its just a matter of luck and not being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mr.capps posted:

I really think most people would actually do fine in an apocalypse scenario

If most people would do fine in a scenario it's not really an apocalypse scenario, is it? I mean, that's kind of baked into the definition of apocalypse.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Effectronica posted:

You actually don't know that, seeing as you've never been in that sort of situation and even if you've been in a similar one like getting lost hiking or biking far from inhabited places, you obviously made it out OK.

In those situations I only made it out okay because I had people looking out for me. Those people live far, far away now.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Everyone I play RPGs with are either Active Duty or Veterans, so I feel like any PYS RPG would just devolve into us turning into a roving band of scavengers.

Who needs skills to grow food when you can just take advantage of other people? :unsmigghh:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fatherdog posted:

If most people would do fine in a scenario it's not really an apocalypse scenario, is it? I mean, that's kind of baked into the definition of apocalypse.

Yeah well that is why I think most post apocalyptic fiction skips the whole "how it began" part.

edit: I oddly have opposite opinions on more traditional horror movies. When people say "I could survive this, these guys are stupid" about Draculas or something that is when I tend to think most people would fall apart.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 5, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Speaking half-seriously, there's so much stuff out there in even semi-urban areas that the main issues facing most people would be boredom and loneliness in an immediately post-apocalyptic period. Instructions are everywhere on things, even the most out-of-shape person could break down glass sliding doors with a crowbar or tire iron, and there's enough imperishable junk hanging around that people could feed themselves for long enough to get books and pamphlets on agriculture and read them.

Kwyndig posted:

In those situations I only made it out okay because I had people looking out for me. Those people live far, far away now.

That's not actually what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Striking Yak posted:

Are there any mechanics that model PCs having to do immoral/taboo things? Most groups I've seen tend to start murdering inconvenient people at the drop of a hat. I suppose in most settings people don't have great life expectancy, so death is more normalised, but I don't think that accounts for PCs' bloodthirst.
And to bring it back to the discussion that started this--one of the reasons I love play-as-yourself campaigns so much is because people, at least if they are being honest with themselves (which apparently all of my group is willing to do), will act so profoundly unlike stereotypical adventurers in such a game.

I mean, players who would kill everything attacking them without a moment's hesitation and strip everything valuable from the room where they found an enemy are suddenly wondering whether it is OK to leave someone who attacked them lying unconscious in the alley or whether they should try to get them to a hospital. Just try picturing Fantasy Viet Nam going like that. Anything that makes people actually able to think more deeply about the consequences of their actions is cool by me.

Zurui posted:

And while my gaming group is probably only made up half of people who have any chance surviving an apocalypse, like, it does not take much to stretch the imagination to figure out how the rest could contribute. We are fond of having the intro game to a play-yourselves campaign start off with just as much failure as you would expect, and then after a session or two of things like "uhh I guess we should pour the soapy dishwater down the hill and hope the monsters fall on it so we can run away?" we have like "six months pass, you spend all your time working out because you are going to die if you do not, OK, now, moving on" because why not?

Plus, I mean, unless you are metagaming to take away ...metagaming, you should acknowledge that every player/character has some amount of incredible skill in "understanding how zombies/aliens/monsters/magic/whatever" works, which gives them something useful to do even beyond being physically fit or real-world useful. Not like in apocalypse fiction where the protagonists, I assume almost without fail, come from worlds where nobody ever thought up the concept of (whatever went wrong) before it actually happened.

Edit: I agree with you, Effectronica :unsmith: it is just kind of less fun to think that people actually have a chance in the apocalypse I think :)

• Locked thread