Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, when they start walking, all bets are off. My 13 month old had a few days last week when she honest to God looked like she'd gotten beaten up. She loves running around, and unfortunately falling down doesn't make her cautious, just careless, so one faceplant is usually followed by a few more before bedtime. She's always been eager to go above and beyond her actual abilities, so I'm prepared for a few more years of bumps and bruises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
At age 6, Eldest's legs are still one bruise after another. Doesn't help that he's got really fair skin so the bruises show up well.

(He usually has tons of bruises everywhere in general as well, but the legs are particularly hilarious.)

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah pretty much as soon as your kids get mobile until they're about 7-8 years old they're just gonna have a bunch of self-inflicted bruises and scrapes from random poo poo. It's pretty normal. Hell my oldest daughter had a black eye in her preschool graduation photo- she got that by running headlong into another kid on the playground. They bounce back pretty fast though if you can resist the urge to freak out over it. :)

e: actually revise that, for some kids it may be older. My youngest is 8 and came home from summer camp with both elbows and knees covered in scrapes because she was hiking with her head in the clouds all the time. Big sis Sofia tells me the counselors were good about it and every time it happened they'd ask Julie if gravity was still working right, in response to which she would laugh and give a big thumbs up.

Marchegiana fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 26, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've found that, for my children at least, saying "Hop on up!" in a cheery voice after a fall is better than commiserating and sounding sad. Serious injuries are another matter, of course, but if you make it sound like no big deal, they'll keep trying and won't fall as much. When they do, they'll feel more empowered.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I've found that, for my children at least, saying "Hop on up!" in a cheery voice after a fall is better than commiserating and sounding sad. Serious injuries are another matter, of course, but if you make it sound like no big deal, they'll keep trying and won't fall as much. When they do, they'll feel more empowered.

Absolutely true. If it's a slight bump and they're not bleeding, I find "whoops! Careful!" in a cheery voice pretty much kills any chance of crying. Of course, this has led to Sydney, on occasion, laughing and saying "CAY-FUL!!" before purposefully banging her head on things which is a great party trick to horrify Grandma.

e: I wanted to mention, if anyone's looking for a cool book or series of books, Keith Baker's 'Peas' (123 Peas, ABC Peas, Little Green Peas) series is pretty great. Not only do they have a good rhyme scheme and illustrations, but there's a little ladybug hidden on each page which makes for a fun game while reading (or if your kid is inclined, to sit them down with and have them search for). Highly recommended.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 26, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah we taught our son "brush it off" (wipes his hands together) and it made a huge difference. It distracts him long enough after a fall that he skips that initial "oh my god what happened?!" stage of crying and only keeps crying if it's something serious.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone know of any edible books? He just wants to eat them. He may be Worf.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Indestructibles brand books have held up to all the abuse my 14 month old has thrown at them.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
These last few days have been hell. Ive never complained about my boy, sure brestfeeding and teething were a bitch, big deal. But now, at 15 months he became a screecher. I know this is a phase, him not talking yet, but gently caress man, he shrieks like a motherfucker all day long. Point at something, want, don't want, hungry, not hungry, play, don't play, motherfucking body snatchers shrieks all day long. Can this be helped because it's.driving me crazy

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mister Blueberry posted:

These last few days have been hell. Ive never complained about my boy, sure brestfeeding and teething were a bitch, big deal. But now, at 15 months he became a screecher. I know this is a phase, him not talking yet, but gently caress man, he shrieks like a motherfucker all day long. Point at something, want, don't want, hungry, not hungry, play, don't play, motherfucking body snatchers shrieks all day long. Can this be helped because it's.driving me crazy

Heh. Both my boys went through/are going through a phase, the dinner must be ready by 5:15pm or we will begin melting down phase. It is awful. I literally get home and feel like it is a race against the clock to get dinner on the table before my baby has a total system meltdown. My oldest boy went through the same thing for 3-4 months before he got a little bigger and could just wait a little bit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

Yeah pretty much as soon as your kids get mobile until they're about 7-8 years old they're just gonna have a bunch of self-inflicted bruises and scrapes from random poo poo. It's pretty normal. Hell my oldest daughter had a black eye in her preschool graduation photo- she got that by running headlong into another kid on the playground. They bounce back pretty fast though if you can resist the urge to freak out over it. :)

e: actually revise that, for some kids it may be older. My youngest is 8 and came home from summer camp with both elbows and knees covered in scrapes because she was hiking with her head in the clouds all the time. Big sis Sofia tells me the counselors were good about it and every time it happened they'd ask Julie if gravity was still working right, in response to which she would laugh and give a big thumbs up.

Definitely older for some kids. My son is 10, and pretty much constantly one giant bruise. Some kids are just clumsy or don't pay attention to what they're doing, and ram into everything at top speed.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
I'm 35 and still look like that. I get people asking if I play hockey every time I wear shorts, and someone once discreetly tried to give me information about the local women's shelter :shrug:. Sometimes we never grow out of the clumsy stage, it's ok!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I bruise easy, my bio kids are fair-skinned and bruise easy, and they always seem to faceplant so their injuries are clearly visible to everyone they meet. My 1 1/2 year old fell down the concrete steps and scraped her nose and upper lip, then when that healed she fell into the coffee table to cut open her chin.

My 3-year old consistently has bruises on his legs, which only tells me he's having tons of fun on the playground.

They've learned to only really cry and freak out when the injury is fairly serious. We know to stop and check it out if the tears last for more than the initial moment of shock. They are able to brush off the minor stuff immediately.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We've only had to go to the hospital for Alexandra once in her 27 months, something I consider a minor miracle. I regularly describe her as being made of rebar, concrete, and rubber :3:

Edit: and today makes twice! :negative:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 27, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Each of our guys has had a hospital visit. The eldest was goofing off at a restaurant and fell off a stool, banged his face on the table and put his tooth through his lip. The younger one just this week came tearing into the bathroom right after I came out of the shower, slipped on water before I could grab him and split his eyebrow open on the floor :smith:

In both cases they ended up with some surgical glue and a stuffie from the hospital and not much else. I'm glad they're pretty resilient.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Had our first successful urination in the toilet yesterday with our 2 year old!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does anybody have any suggestions to get a 5 year old to stop chewing her fingernails/finger skin? She has been developing herpetic whitlow (which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds) and it bothers her a great deal but no amount of talking about it and trying to distract her or stuff seems to be working especially when shes at school or something.

I tried some of that over the counter finger nail bitter polish stuff but it didn't really stop her unless I reapplied it every hour or so which isn't really practical. Obviously we're working on her washing her hands better/more often too but thats not really going to stop the chewing.

She was never a thumb sucker either so I don't really know what the deal is. She acts a lot like me and like I did as a child and I used to chew my nails for a long time too (into adult hood) so I'm really not sure how to get a kid to stop it. :smith:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

FishBulb posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions to get a 5 year old to stop chewing her fingernails/finger skin? She has been developing herpetic whitlow (which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds) and it bothers her a great deal but no amount of talking about it and trying to distract her or stuff seems to be working especially when shes at school or something.

I tried some of that over the counter finger nail bitter polish stuff but it didn't really stop her unless I reapplied it every hour or so which isn't really practical. Obviously we're working on her washing her hands better/more often too but thats not really going to stop the chewing.

She was never a thumb sucker either so I don't really know what the deal is. She acts a lot like me and like I did as a child and I used to chew my nails for a long time too (into adult hood) so I'm really not sure how to get a kid to stop it. :smith:

This probably isn't kosher in some social circles these days but my parents dipped my fingers in something exceptionally bitter. I forget what it was to be honest but I'm sure there are options. You could try gloves as well. Easier in the fall / winter for older kids if they don't want to be embarrassed but for our one year old we just put some socks on his hands.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions to get a 5 year old to stop chewing her fingernails/finger skin?

I was that kid, and I am that 30-year-old. For me, the problem is that I'm a massive fidgeter, and that I hate uneven/rough edges on my nails/the skin surrounding them. I'll fidget with my hands, find a small "flaw", and pick and pick and pick at it - almost completely unconsciously. I'll catch myself doing it, stop, then start again within seconds. What helps me is a combination of having something else to fidget with, and avoiding rough edges. I keep a nail file with me AT ALL TIMES, and I knit a lot - if my hands are occupied, I'm not chewing/picking at them. So my suggestion would be to try to help her find something else to fidget with or that keeps her hands occupied and away from her mouth, and if her nails and the skin around is rough and cracked, help her file them smooth and moisturise to make them less "tempting" to pick and chew at. It's easier to keep from picking at smooth, healed skin. I think the key is to figure out exactly what causes her to chew her fingers and in what circumstances it tends to happen, and then adress those specific issues. An example: I know that if I zone out, I start picking automatically, so when I go to the movies, where I can't knit and I know that I'll be absorbed in the movie and start picking, I'll bring an unscented lotion and keep my hands occupied by rubbing it into the skin around my nails. It keeps my hands busy with something that's actually good for them, instead of damaging them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Our cat is no longer kid safe :(

Guess it was bound to happen as the kids grow up and become more boisterous and try to play with her, but drat that was really close to Daniel's eye. Didn't even see it, just one minute he was near her (nothing special so far, she just walks away normally if they get too rough), but then he started crying and we saw this:

We're not killing or rehousing the cat or anything like that, we're just gonna keep them separated and under better watch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

Guess it was bound to happen as the kids grow up and become more boisterous and try to play with her, but drat that was really close to Daniel's eye. Didn't even see it, just one minute he was near her (nothing special so far, she just walks away normally if they get too rough), but then he started crying and we saw this:

We're not killing or rehousing the cat or anything like that, we're just gonna keep them separated and under better watch.

One of our cats has actually been great around our kids, and has more or less patiently endured "HERE COMES THE SCREAMING FLAILING MONSTER!!!" in good humor, and even lets herself be touched at points if I'm there to make sure everything is gentle. The caveat to this is that she HATES being picked up or held, so it's pretty much impossible to clip her razor sharp talons. I'm hoping that my kid finally internalizes "Gentle around Peaches!" before one ill advised smack finally turns into a hissed swat back.

The other one is fine because he won't let our kids within a three foot radius, and he's putty in my hands so I can clip his nails easily :3:

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Out cat is not kid-safe, and after a couple of close calls our 3-year-old has learned to keep a healthy distance.

We became parents for the second time 5 weeks ago and have a great little girl aged 3.5 soon and holy gently caress is this parenting thing exhausting. We had both blissfully forgotten how much work a newborn is.

Little guy has taken to screaming his head off every evening unless he is taken for a walk in the stroller, and since he wakes up after two minutes without motion, it means I'm walking around our neighbourhood for two-three hours every night so the wife can get some shut-eye. When I come home he starts fussing again and the wife goes to bed with him, where he's nursed about every hour through the night (I sleep no the couch due to work). On top of this, the big one wakes up every other night and cries hysterically until she's allowed to sleep with her mum - daddy is absolutely no good! Next time I have a week off, we're going to address it, but at the moment we value sleep over principles about kids in the bed.

So yeah. It's pretty normal, right? Good. It's getting better soon, right? Good.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Buy a buzzing relax. Do it

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Mister Blueberry posted:

Buy a buzzing relax. Do it

A what now? Like a white noise generator?

Bambina
Sep 25, 2007
I said no biting

His Divine Shadow posted:

Your sad little faces :3:

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Long-timers in this thread might remember Qentiox, who posted about her little girl Daphne. We have a sad update about Daphne and the family in this thread in TGD. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662477

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Ben Davis posted:

Long-timers in this thread might remember Qentiox, who posted about her little girl Daphne. We have a sad update about Daphne and the family in this thread in TGD. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662477

I didn't know Qentiox but dammit that's heart breaking :(

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Ben Davis posted:

I remember; that's terrible. That poor family... Thanks for the [tragic] update.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah. I always sympathise in a brisk, 'oh dear, that sucks' kind of way and just whip her back to her feet.

The secret benefit is you can tell when they're really hurt because hoo boy waterworks (though only briefly).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sockmuppet posted:

I was that kid, and I am that 30-year-old. For me, the problem is that I'm a massive fidgeter, and that I hate uneven/rough edges on my nails/the skin surrounding them. I'll fidget with my hands, find a small "flaw", and pick and pick and pick at it - almost completely unconsciously. I'll catch myself doing it, stop, then start again within seconds. What helps me is a combination of having something else to fidget with, and avoiding rough edges. I keep a nail file with me AT ALL TIMES, and I knit a lot - if my hands are occupied, I'm not chewing/picking at them. So my suggestion would be to try to help her find something else to fidget with or that keeps her hands occupied and away from her mouth, and if her nails and the skin around is rough and cracked, help her file them smooth and moisturise to make them less "tempting" to pick and chew at. It's easier to keep from picking at smooth, healed skin. I think the key is to figure out exactly what causes her to chew her fingers and in what circumstances it tends to happen, and then adress those specific issues. An example: I know that if I zone out, I start picking automatically, so when I go to the movies, where I can't knit and I know that I'll be absorbed in the movie and start picking, I'll bring an unscented lotion and keep my hands occupied by rubbing it into the skin around my nails. It keeps my hands busy with something that's actually good for them, instead of damaging them.

Keep them smooth. That's the only thing that's ever worked for me.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Ok, so we are going through something very gross over here - my 20-month old toddler is obsessed with taking off her diaper, putting her finger in her dirty diaper, etc. Is this a sign she is ready to potty train? She can't really speak yet, lots of nonsense words and the occasional "mama" or "bye bye" so we haven't really thought about trying yet. Also, her nearly 4-year old brother is still in diapers and actively resists potty training, so it would be kind of hilarious if she was trained before him.

She has learned to climb out of her crib, so yesterday during naptime I found her wandering around her room with a poopy finger and poop smeared over her clothes, and a trail of...well, let's just say it was pretty gross.

Any advice?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Does anyone elses kids like to rock their chairs? Our kids do it like all the time and they can keep it up a good while, they're so forceful they're moving the chairs (fortunately we have them well padded), scooting across the house, they seem to find this very funny. David can do this in his chair until he falls asleep, apparently exhausted himself. I read something about kids doing it pre-crawling but these guys are crawling and look to be getting up soon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, so we are going through something very gross over here - my 20-month old toddler is obsessed with taking off her diaper, putting her finger in her dirty diaper, etc. Is this a sign she is ready to potty train? She can't really speak yet, lots of nonsense words and the occasional "mama" or "bye bye" so we haven't really thought about trying yet. Also, her nearly 4-year old brother is still in diapers and actively resists potty training, so it would be kind of hilarious if she was trained before him.

She has learned to climb out of her crib, so yesterday during naptime I found her wandering around her room with a poopy finger and poop smeared over her clothes, and a trail of...well, let's just say it was pretty gross.

Any advice?

:stare:

I have nothing for the poo situation, but if she can climb out of her crib, it's time to put her into a bed, if you haven't yet.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

I can offer no advice (we're not there yet, thank god), only the meager comfort of knowing that it could be worse. At least you don't have poop-flinging twins.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

let's just say it was pretty gross.

We went through this. Putting her in sleepers and onesies so she couldn't get to her diaper helped a little. Constantly saying "We don't touch poopy". Being very glad when she had poop but didn't touch it, giving the least amount of positive attention as possible when she did touch it until the area was cleaned.

We haven't gone through potty training yet, so don't know about this as a sign. Does she know she's pooping/peeing before she goes? 20 mo. is not too early to get a little potty and have her start getting used to it. Our 2-yr 3 mo. old girl can't really control her bladder/bowls yet and we're about to have another baby (this month!) so we're putting off any full effort training, but will let / help her use the potty when she wants to.

Second the climbing out of crib = get her own bed. Just have to childproof her room super well. A gate at the door or a cover over the doorknob is great for containment issues.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

VorpalBunny posted:

Any advice?

I had a diaper escape artist. Nowhere near potty training, just wanted to be naked all the time. Which was...not pretty more often than not. I tried everything I could think of to keep him from removing them (diaper on backwards! duct tape! footed pajamas! Footed pajamas with the feet removed and worn backwards to prevent zipper access! diaper-pinning the zipper pull to the pajamas! You name it, I tried it and it failed). Finally out of desperation, I figured I'd give these special pajamas designed for diaper escapees. Not One Incident. Not one since. And considering my child has special needs and potty trained late, that was like 3 years of wearing these without ever getting them off and playing in his diaper. So if she's really not ready for potty training (and really, the desire to play in it isn't an actual indicator of readiness - some kids just like to play in it), you might want to try a pair of Little Keeper Sleepers.
http://www.littlekeepersleeper.com/store/Default.asp
The main differences between them and regular sleepers are that they have a non-stretchable neck (seriously, my kid would get out of pajamas by climbing through the neckhole and pulling them off like a skirt), and the zipper is in the back and has a double lockdown snap tab over it. Magic. They are magic.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I am going to go insane. Poops has decided that she isn't going to sleep. Not for love or money.

Even though she's slept through the night (7.30 to 7.30) since about 6 weeks, at 11 months she now wakes up every hour, almost on the goddamn hour. She falls asleep nursing and we try to move her to her own bed- nope. Hysterical screaming. God forbid you move her from her rocking seat- screaming. Leave her in our bed? Scream until were afraid she's going to have another asthma attack.

She will not, will not sleep mode f we try to put her down just dozy. Cry it out isn't an option, because her crib is in our room.

We asked the doctor at her checkup today and were told that she isn't sick, so my milk must be inadequate. So we fed her a formula supplement before bed. She still woke up and clawed her way into my nightgown. And chewed on me until she dozed off. Time to take out my poor mutilated nipple? No. Screaming.

I've had a total of 3 hours sleep in the last 36. It's 2.30 in the morning, she's asleep in her seat and I'm dreading 3, because that's her hour again.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I highly doubt that if she's been doing fine for 11 months that your milk is inadequate. Her brain is probably doing a thing. Is she trying to walk?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We've found the most effective anti-diaper digging getup is tight pj pants with a onesie over the pants. If the onesie stretches out though, it's useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

sheri posted:

I highly doubt that if she's been doing fine for 11 months that your milk is inadequate. Her brain is probably doing a thing. Is she trying to walk?

Aye, she's cruising ATM, one hand on stuff, the other one grabby. And fast. She's also babbling a lot. We've just never had a sleep disturbance like this without her being sick. Its been getting worse all through August and has become pure hell since Monday.

You've got to figure out, say, the precise angle she wants to be held. Last night she sat there, red-eyed, shuddering and snivelling. At 4 am, on the floor. Tired as anything, determined not to sleep.