Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow dang this archdrake mace thingy has a nice move set. If you jump backwards and do a light attack it does a crazy spinny thing that will whack the enemy maybe two times in a row unless they roll in time.

All halberds have the spin2win. Actually the Archdrake mace has the exact same movest as the vanilla (and most other) Halberd(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Genocyber posted:

All halberds have the spin2win. Actually the Archdrake mace has the exact same movest as the vanilla (and most other) Halberd(s).

Except, instead of being able to poke from behind a shield, the weapon does 60 poise damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, I really wish the direct damage system didn't completely gently caress over Halberds and reapers (and axes, but their range is so short it hardly matters). I miss my Great Scythe wrecking people.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Man, I really wish the direct damage system didn't completely gently caress over Halberds and reapers (and axes, but their range is so short it hardly matters). I miss my Great Scythe wrecking people.

It doesn't (for halberds). They have exceptionally high AR considering how fast they are, and it's the sweet spot that keeps them from being OP. Reapers yeah. Their shield-piercing ability does not make up for their low AR. Bone Scythe and Scythe of Want are fine tho; they have decent damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Started a new character to try out ultra greatswords and other big weapons and the crows give me a Demon's Greathammer and a Channeler's Trident. :allears: This is the luckiest I've ever been with them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

It doesn't (for halberds). They have exceptionally high AR considering how fast they are, and it's the sweet spot that keeps them from being OP. Reapers yeah. Their shield-piercing ability does not make up for their low AR. Bone Scythe and Scythe of Want are fine tho; they have decent damage.

As far as I can tell, with the roaring halberd at least, the sweet spot is a lot closer to your character if you two hand it than if you one hand it. It does ludicrous damage that way and you don't have to really care where you are.

e: I'm not sure I can finish my dual katana run. It's just too easy. I can kill everything in one or two hits without them getting a chance to fight back. I can one shot kill all the guys in the shaded woods before they can even wind up to attack me. Bruma's a cakewalk up to the foyer. It's actually kind of boring.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 5, 2014

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SHISHKABOB posted:

woooo look I'm a ruin sentinel

"Aren't you a little short for a Ruin Sentinel?"

I also just read about power stancing an ultra greataxe with an UGS and being able to swing the UGS with straight sword speeds, does anyone have experience with this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

"Aren't you a little short for a Ruin Sentinel?"

I also just read about power stancing an ultra greataxe with an UGS and being able to swing the UGS with straight sword speeds, does anyone have experience with this?

Certain greataxes had the straight sword powerstance, but they patched that out.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alright. I need some very basic help with connecting a Duel Shock 3 PS3 controller to my PC.

Goal:
-I want to use the PS3 controller with Dark Souls 2 offline. It is my understanding that Better DS3 can function offline.

System:
Win 7/64

I have:
-installed MotioninJoy 071001
-installed Better DS3_1.5.3

The current problem is that when I plug in the PS3 to a USB port the controller is not recognized by MotioninJoy. I am not sure what drivers are required or where to obtain updated versions.

I need instructions from the very beginning. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 5, 2014

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Helical Nightmares posted:

I need instructions from the very beginning. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1. Turn on your computer.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alright. I need some very basic help with connecting a Duel Shock 3 PS3 controller to my PC.

Goal:
-I want to use the PS3 controller with Dark Souls 2 offline. It is my understanding that Better DS3 can function offline.

System:
Win 7/64

I have:

The current problem is that when I plug in the PS3 to a USB port the controller is not recognized by MotioninJoy. I am not sure what drivers are required or where to obtain updated versions.

Don't use MotionInJoy, it's garbage and probably malware. At the least it's shoddily made; it prevented me from using mice on my old laptop for the longest time, and is a huge hassle to completely remove from your computer).

Use this http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, just slammed my controller down in loving frustration. Invaded someone and they spent the entire time sprinting away from me until a Bluebro ported in and promptly killed me with the Defender's greatsword at SM 200k(!). God knows how much stamina he had but I was pissed off.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Do we know in-game who the Old Iron King from the DLC was supposed to be? Is he the OIK in the Iron Keep boss fight but transformed, or something else entirely?

Also, on Archdrake Mace talk: I used it to pretty good success for a long time but moved away from it. If you miss you leave your back wide open for easy backstabs. The R2 spin is good but the backstep R1 spin is stupidly awesome. At 6 weight it does good damage, strike, and insane poise damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bigass Moth posted:

Do we know in-game who the Old Iron King from the DLC was supposed to be? Is he the OIK in the Iron Keep boss fight but transformed, or something else entirely?

No one. The Old Iron King was already dead by the time Nidalia got there. He fell in some lava and met a demon and turned into the Balrog you kill in the Iron Keep. The Smelter Demon had something to do with it too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes. Timeline goes something like this. There was some minor lord in the lands controlled by the Kingdom of Venn. He managed to obtain the Scorching Iron Scepter, which gave him the ability to freely manipulate iron, as well as the loyalty of Sir Alonne, a knight from the east. With his human soldiers clad in powerful iron equipment, led by Sir Alonne and bolstered by golem soldiers (the Ironclads), the lord was able to conquer all the surrounding lands and become the Old Iron King. Eventually the curse appeared, as it always eventually does. At first the OIK hunted down the afflicted (this is what Huntsman's Copse is all about) but eventually realized this wasn't gonna solve anything and started searching for a cure. In this search he attempted to create a living iron dragon, though since we never see such a thing, or even remnants, he was probably unsuccessful. He was successful in creating the Smelter Demon (possibly modeled after the giants?) but it was not under his control and killed him, sinking him and his castle under the lava. There his soul was manipulated by nameless things, and he was reborn as the Ichorous Earth, which is what you fight in the Iron Keep.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Goal:

System:
Win 7/64

I have:

I'm pretty sure you only use motionjoy for the drivers because there's a tab in the program for installing only drivers (If it's that ghastly green program I'm thinking of) Afterwards you close it and never use it again. in Better DS3 you have to set up a profile where it basically tells your computer that the DS controller is actually an XboX controller or something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1l21zb/playing_with_a_ps3_controller_on_pc_a_setup_guide/ Basically this.

EDIT: After you select the profile in DS3, you should be good to go after restarting Dark Souls.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

No one. The Old Iron King was already dead by the time Nidalia got there. He fell in some lava and met a demon and turned into the Balrog you kill in the Iron Keep. The Smelter Demon had something to do with it too.

According to the weapon descriptions, the Smelter is the guy who shanked the OIK and threw him into the lava for being stupid enough to dig so deep and so greedily into a loving volcano.

Like, what the gently caress were you expecting to find down there, candy?

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 5, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Genocyber posted:

Yes. Timeline goes something like this. There was some minor lord in the lands controlled by the Kingdom of Venn. He managed to obtain the Scorching Iron Scepter, which gave him the ability to freely manipulate iron, as well as the loyalty of Sir Alonne, a knight from the east. With his human soldiers clad in powerful iron equipment, led by Sir Alonne and bolstered by golem soldiers (the Ironclads), the lord was able to conquer all the surrounding lands and become the Old Iron King. Eventually the curse appeared, as it always eventually does. At first the OIK hunted down the afflicted (this is what Huntsman's Copse is all about) but eventually realized this wasn't gonna solve anything and started searching for a cure. In this search he attempted to create a living iron dragon, though since we never see such a thing, or even remnants, he was probably unsuccessful. He was successful in creating the Smelter Demon (possibly modeled after the giants?) but it was not under his control and killed him, sinking him and his castle under the lava. There his soul was manipulated by nameless things, and he was reborn as the Ichorous Earth, which is what you fight in the Iron Keep.

The Smelter Demon in the DLC is just a younger version of the one in the Keep right? Wait, the guys in Ironclad armor aren't humans????

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

The Smelter Demon in the DLC is just a younger version of the one in the Keep right?

Pretty much. I think the DLCs are kind of time travel-ish maybe. They're supposed to be you re-experiencing what Vendrick did. Maybe. I can't find w/e bit of dialogue or text that made me think that.

e: Wait no I found them

"Vendrick posted:

I am Vendrick, ruler of Drangleic, seeker of fire, deliverer of crowns.

I too sought fire once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McofBOpPw40

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 5, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

They're supposed to be you re-experiencing what Vendrick did. Maybe. I can't find w/e bit of dialogue or text that made me think that.

I'm not entirely sure if you're time traveling/doing memory poo poo (though you'd get all Inception-like when you enter the memory of the iron king in the memory of Vendrick) or if you're just going to other parts of the ruined areas in the same 'time' as the game. Though it doesn't really matter. Space and time are distorted and all that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Flytrap posted:

According to the weapon descriptions, the Smelter is the guy who shanked the OIK and threw him into the lava for being stupid enough to dig so deep and so greedily into a loving volcano.

Like, what the gently caress were you expecting to find down there, candy?

To be fair I imagine he was expecting even more iron, not a giant gently caress-off sentient doom engine in iron form. :v:

Cainer
May 8, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

woooo look I'm a ruin sentinel

Neat I didn't even know you could get their armor, looks really cool!

Trying to do a Lolth daggers only cosplay run, good year blimp this poo poo is hard. So many enemies don't care and just crush me. Think I'll try and do that dragonslayer great axe run I've been tempted to run every single time I pick it up after that second flex sentry, it's just such a neat looking axe!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So the thing that confuses me about the Iron Keep zone is that it comes after the Earthen Peak thing... after an elevator. And then the giant tower that is Earthen Peak is no where to be seen. Did I totally miss the fact that there was a big cliff wall behind the Earthen Peak? Or does this game just not give a poo poo about things like that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SHISHKABOB posted:

So the thing that confuses me about the Iron Keep zone is that it comes after the Earthen Peak thing... after an elevator. And then the giant tower that is Earthen Peak is no where to be seen. Did I totally miss the fact that there was a big cliff wall behind the Earthen Peak? Or does this game just not give a poo poo about things like that.

If you equip smelter gear and look through the binoculars, everything becomes clear.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

You hit the nail on the head with your last thought. Space-wise, the Iron Keep is not only a good distance away from Earthen Peak laterally (although still in the general vicinity) but is also a couple thousand feet undergound, sunken into lava. You're traveling across an entire continent over the course of the game, so they naturally have short transitions.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I've also heard that the whole of Dark Souls 2 is a journey being recalled by your character, and thus all the tunnels and long distance trips are forgotten because they're boring and your character doesn't remember them or chooses not to.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's somewhat disappointing, because what I really loved the most about Dark Souls 1 was how everything was so interconnected; the whole world was all one big thing (barring a couple places like the abyss and painted world).

It's still cool though, everything is still tied together nicely.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This is canon.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Gologle posted:

This is canon.

Just imagine, if the Iron King had dug any deeper, Harvest Valley would be full of poison AND lava! :v:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
people always comment on the fact that Iron Keep is up an elevator and never on the fact that you emerge from a building in Heide's Tower onto a bunch of platforms in the middle of the ocean with no other land in sight

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god, using a rapier and buckler through Iron Keep is hilarious. I seem to have thrown myself right into The Zone and nobody in there can attack me without being parried.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tamayachi posted:

Just imagine, if the Iron King had dug any deeper, Harvest Valley would be full of poison AND lava! :v:

If Divinity Original Sin taught me anything, then Harvest Valley would just be one giant explosion.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

people always comment on the fact that Iron Keep is up an elevator and never on the fact that you emerge from a building in Heide's Tower onto a bunch of platforms in the middle of the ocean with no other land in sight

And also when you leave Heide's tower you take an elevator that goes straight down, deep underwater into a large cavern with its own separate ocean outside?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

They definitely comment on this a lot, too.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

Not only that, you can see the whole of that area from majula, and it's loving miles away.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tamayachi posted:

Poison lava, even.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Here's a guy that tries to explain all of it

http://fextralife.com/iron-keep-a-castle-in-the-clouds/

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I still think they cut some intermediate area or something. Not that i mind a bit of scale compression, considering that according to the "world map" it's probably a hundred miles from majula to the drangleic castle or the dragon shrine.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SHISHKABOB posted:

That's somewhat disappointing, because what I really loved the most about Dark Souls 1 was how everything was so interconnected; the whole world was all one big thing (barring a couple places like the abyss and painted world).

It's still cool though, everything is still tied together nicely.
It's a deliberate stylistic choice, a sort of hybrid between the archstones of Demon's Souls and the interconnectivity of Dark Souls. The issue in the first game (besides the fact that it actually does cheat in places, such as the impossible skybox of Ash Lake) is that it makes the world feel weirdly small, with the source of all demons only a hair below some ancient flooded city which is itself right below another city which is below the very dwelling of the gods themselves.

It may all fit together, but it doesn't make very much sense. The interconnectivity of individual areas in Demon's Souls made a great deal more sense, but they didn't have to necessarily fit all the areas directly together (otherwise they never could've gotten away with the Tower of Latria).

Bigass Moth posted:

The Smelter Demon in the DLC is just a younger version of the one in the Keep right? Wait, the guys in Ironclad armor aren't humans????
No. You explore the DLC in the present, there is no time travel (except the memory where you fight Sir Alonne). Shulva is a long-forgotten city visited in the present well after it fell, and Brume Tower is part of the Old Iron King's domain that lies on rock overlooking the destroyed lands of his former kingdom (and is the foundry where he made his invincible armies).

Not only aren't Ironclads human, I think Alonne Knights aren't either, nor are Ruin Sentinels and the Pursuer(s) or Syan/Llewelyn Knights. They're not humans or hollows because those enemies make distinctive sounds (compare Royal Soldiers in FoFG and the past versions in the giant memories; the memory ones are living humans), and because you can find those enemies in Drangleic Castle including inanimate statue versions, suggesting Vendrick could animate them with whatever power he had. The Looking Glass Knight is probably a golem as well based on the item descriptions, but from their souls it's pretty clear Velstadt and the Throne Watcher/Defender are human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Syan knights are actually human. The item description reads something along the lines of that the armor was in honor of the knight who was killed in battle and Vendrick made a poo poo load of copies for everyone.

But turns out anyone wearing it goes batshit insane (hollow) :v: