Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

chumbler posted:

I've been avoiding listening to the music for fear of spoilers until my copy arrives, but I broke down and had to listen to some. And god drat they're fantastic, and I'm happier than I expected to hear the old Cornered again. Especially this remix of it.

I went into this game completely unspoiled and hearing the linked track for the first time was probably the highlight of the whole game for me. It's such a perfect fit for the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spell-breaker is a pretty great Cornered theme I'll give it that, probably my favourite outside of the OT. The Examination-Allegro was still a bit sedate for some of the cross examinations it was used in though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Dai Gyakuten site got an update prepping for some sort of reveal.

Mysterious. There's going to be a stage show with Takumi and the producer of the game on the 20th and the 21st.

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008
First thought on the epilogue: Goddammit, not another gas leak...

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Waffleman_ posted:

The Dai Gyakuten site got an update prepping for some sort of reveal.

Mysterious. There's going to be a stage show with Takumi and the producer of the game on the 20th and the 21st.

These character designs look so normal! How can they make an Ace Attorney game without completely insane designs?

Although that silhouette on the left does look a little Pearly-esque...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It'll be Meiji-Karma and Meiji-Fran.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So uh, I just finished the first "real" case and... the game clock is at 9 hours. I've solved like 17 Layton puzzles. Is this game cutscenes all the way down or does it get "meaty" at any point? I mean, I love the story and the characters and so forth, I just... I don't remember the Ace Attorney games having such a dismal ratio of gameplay to "pressing A", especially not Dual Destinies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

wocobob posted:

These character designs look so normal! How can they make an Ace Attorney game without completely insane designs?

Although that silhouette on the left does look a little Pearly-esque...

Ami Fey. Be Ami Fey.

Though it does raise an interesting point in general, I wonder anime designs/primary coloured hair etc are in some way a signifier of the westernisation/modernisation of Japan? I know there's some period samurai/ninja animes with silly coloured hair still and whatnot but historical stuff does seem to be played alot straighter, even when it's overtly fantasy like Ninja Scroll, and in this case within the same continuity they've gone from a hectic mish-mash of clothing styles, hair colours and ethnicities despite nominally being set (originally) in Japan to a rather straight (so far) representation of early-modern Japan in fashion and appearence.

precision posted:

So uh, I just finished the first "real" case and... the game clock is at 9 hours. I've solved like 17 Layton puzzles. Is this game cutscenes all the way down or does it get "meaty" at any point? I mean, I love the story and the characters and so forth, I just... I don't remember the Ace Attorney games having such a dismal ratio of gameplay to "pressing A", especially not Dual Destinies.

You're going to love the final trial.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 3, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Is there any convenient way to watch the second Phoenix Wright musical translated? I just saw the first one on YouTube and I didn't know if the second one was available somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I sincerely thought all the Phoenix Wright games take place in America, and anytime I'm reminded they don't I do a mental spit-take.

I mean, he's just such an :911: character, in my mind.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

precision posted:

I sincerely thought all the Phoenix Wright games take place in America, and anytime I'm reminded they don't I do a mental spit-take.

They do. :colbert: http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Los_Angeles

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

Ummmm Phoenix clearly says that in the US it's called a flashlight so I don't know what you're talking about???

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

precision posted:

I think they mean they came into the franchise thinking that the games were always meant to be based in the States, rather than it being the result of an increasingly improbable and/or incredible localisation.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I just wanted to say that I think this is the best Phoenix Wright game since the original three, and I loving love it. The music is phenomenal as well. I'm at the first court case with the Inquisitor, and for the first time in a long time it was a case where I don't already have everything figured out, and the evidence works out so that the hints they provide are actually useful and make you think in a different way--the fact that she had the lantern on her wrist instead of holding it proves their point but also proves that she couldn't have been holding the staff since she dropped the lantern--while the previous games have just been "look for really obvious contradictions, then bluff until some miracle happens".

It really highlights what, for me, makes me actually smile and get into these games. Like, when you have all the evidence and the twists are all nitpicking about the fingerprint patterns, then you piece together what's going on really quickly -- obviously the stuffed animals were being used to smuggle gems so you figure it out right away and spend the segment going, "Alright but when do I present that she was holding a tag and not the leg," or whatever, and it's kind of dumb.

It's still hand-holdy but it's less hand-holdy than other games have been, so far. Like, all the contradictions are with pieces of evidence against each other or maybe how that evidence fits with the testimony, versus, "Well witness you say the victim was hit from the right but the fingerprints are of a LEFT HAND! How could a left handed person hit someone from the right?! OBVIOUSLY A THIRD PARTY WAS IN FRONT OF THEM!"

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 4, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Using hint coins in trials is really goddamn neato and it's a shame the AA series proper will never have an equivalent for it :(

Unless they use Play Coins I guess. Anybody remember Play Coins?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 4, 2014

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I want to use play coins on hamburgers. Give me an Assistant Tomagachi minigame next Ace Attorney game, please.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Astro Nut posted:

I think they mean they came into the franchise thinking that the games were always meant to be based in the States, rather than it being the result of an increasingly improbable and/or incredible localisation.

Right, I thought that even the Japanese versions took place in America.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished the game. It's good but it's a bit of a mess at some points and I want more

The theme for the last trial is incredibly good. The last trial itself was really good, I wish it ended a little sooner than it did though, the stuff with the Storyteller feels like it could've come after the trial itself. I'm a little disappointed there weren't very many real breakdowns after the first case though. Especially with Darklaw, I was waiting and hoping but nothing ever really happened there. It's cool that there were no actual villains in this game, though...except Emeer. After that last case I'm reasonably certain that the occupation he was assigned was 'giant rear end in a top hat'. :v:

Did anyone find it a little hard to follow along with what was going on during the trials after a point? It felt like stuff we'd had to prove was true earlier turned out to actually be false a considerable number of times, and it got pretty confusing.

I didn't mind the ending too much, I'm used to it from Layton (nothing can compare to the one with the manatee and the killer robot anyways), it's still a little too much for me though. I liked Darklaw a lot, though, she was a great prosecutor and I liked the effect her claws had on her animations (her objection was the loving worst though, every time I heard it I got taken right out of whatever was going on in the trial). I figured there was a lot more to her than just 'obvious villain', and I'm glad it turned out to be the case.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good God, "chibi Maya" in the puzzle intro screens (when her and Luke are wandering around by themselves) is the cutest goddamn thing. Like I've seriously just been sitting here watching the little animation for five minutes straight. :3:

I can't find a picture of it but it's in puzzle 26.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

precision posted:

I can't find a picture of it but it's in puzzle 26.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Just finished the game, and I'd say Layton Vs. Wright was a great game overall. I'm definitely glad I was warned things were going to get silly, though. I almost burst out laughing during several of the big Storyteller twists.

Especially "Oh BTW, I've got an incurable illness. Gonna be dead really soon. Gotcha! It's curable, I'll be fine." It was even better than how he explained that the whole Labyrinthia thing was backed by the British government because they wanted some sweet sweet brainwashing drugs.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Nick, have you seen that pipe anywhere? I feel like whacking something!

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

avoraciopoctules posted:

Just finished the game, and I'd say Layton Vs. Wright was a great game overall. I'm definitely glad I was warned things were going to get silly, though.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/506365928922439680

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I'm totally making an avatar out of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

I'm totally making an avatar out of that.

It's pretty much ready to go as-is. The size limit got upped to 100k.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

precision posted:

Imagine I posted that awkward zombie comic here

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

This is still my favorite part of the entire game

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 4, 2014

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

precision posted:

Good God, "chibi Maya" in the puzzle intro screens (when her and Luke are wandering around by themselves) is the cutest goddamn thing.

The second special episode is out and it also has adorable puzzle artwork:

The art alone makes the puzzles worth it. :3:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just beat the game and I must have missed the ladder joke, where was it?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's one in Chapter... 6, I think, and one near the end. Examine the treehouse in the Shade Village while playing as Layton and Maya. Layton will comment that they must have a pretty elaborate ladder system, and Maya says that he shouldn't mention ladders around Nick because the subject turns him into some kind of idiot. The latter is at some point in the belltower, where Phoenix will comment that there's no way to get to the bellfry because "There's no ladder. Not even a stepladder!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, so Dual Destinies gets an M for implied dismemberment that never actually happened but Layton vs. skirts by with a T while showing people getting executed by being dropped into a pit of fire onscreen.

No, I understand you, ESRB.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it bad that I want to use hint coins to blow through the final Layton vs PW trial? There's like 10-11 guards and it's frankly kind of overwhelming me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's the best part of the trial! Why would you want to skip that? It's the only part of the game where it flirts with the complexity that I dreamed of when they introduced the new trial systems.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm related to the judge I can't keep track of their names aside from Shakey, Foxy and Wordsmith and that's my biggest problem

Visually biggest problem though is how faithful they were to Phoenix's sprites. I really wish they layton-ized everyone because as is Phoenix is this towering dude who's more concerned with staring at Laytons hat then looking at anyone.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My only problem with that bit was when you got to the statements of a certain witness and the two surrounding them because they just tanked the framerate.

Also there's a bit I think where you are told to listen to one of the witness's thoughts but like half of them have things to say about the testimony and three of the witnesses have the exact same thought and uuuuugh.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Man I wish there's a game featuring the vigilantes, they're such a fun animated bunch with more personality than anything else in the AA series (which as y'all know is really saying something.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

umalt posted:

Man I wish there's a game featuring the vigilantes, they're such a fun animated bunch with more personality than anything else in the AA series (which as y'all know is really saying something.)

well, let's not get carried away

E: Is there somewhere with some gifs of the animations from Layton vs AA? Preferably spoiler free

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maya Fey, I missed you. :3: Never leave again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Austrian mook posted:

well, let's not get carried away

E: Is there somewhere with some gifs of the animations from Layton vs AA? Preferably spoiler free

I don't know of any collections but I just had to make this one. Almost 10MB huuuge

• Locked thread