Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Ultigonio posted:

No, unfortunately. The offer ends September 11th, so as long as you get your console before then, you should be good.

Is there another example of a successful online store that works this way? I know PSN and iTunes tie the purchase to you account and then you can download to ___ number of devices at a time. I'm assuming xbox live, android market place, amazon, etc all work on this kind of principal.

Why does Nintendo have it's head so far up it's rear end that it can't see how terrible the limitations of their Online Strategy is? I mean it was only a few months ago we got a single sharable wallet between the Wii U/3DS eShops.

Then they go and do something like announce Mario Kart 8 DLC that extends the track count by 50%, adds new racers and cars, and costs $12 (bundled price) when everyone else is trying to nickel and dime customers with crappy DLC that ads no/short lived playable value. Yay, I can buy a mission pack I'll be done with in 30 minutes for $10 and then some character skins for $2 a pop!!

They get one thing so right, yet so much else so wrong.

Sorry, I know this is nothing new just had to vent a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

McFunkerson posted:

Why does Nintendo have it's head so far up it's rear end that it can't see how terrible the limitations of their Online Strategy is?

What makes you think this is the case? Do you think nobody in Nintendo's online department can spot the weaknesses noted by Something Awful Forums Poster McFunkerson?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, does a Wii U screen cover of some sort exist? Nothing permanent, but when I'm charging my gamepad and playing with my controller, the screen is distracting. Basically, something that plug into the top USB port (for support) and acts as a blind or cover or shield or something while the gamepad is sitting idle.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, does a Wii U screen cover of some sort exist? Nothing permanent, but when I'm charging my gamepad and playing with my controller, the screen is distracting. Basically, something that plug into the top USB port (for support) and acts as a blind or cover or shield or something while the gamepad is sitting idle.

I don't know if one exists, and I'm a little doubtful, but why not just turn the gamepad away from you or put it face down?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What, why would it plug into the USB port? That's dumb.
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-GamePad-Face-Cover-Nintendo/dp/B009UONG1W/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also if you're not using the gamepad you can just go into the controller settings and turn the screen off.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

Hm. Are you thinking of something like this?
edit: oh god dangit some big booty-patooty beat me to the punch

pokeyman posted:

What makes you think this is the case? Do you think nobody in Nintendo's online department can spot the weaknesses noted by Something Awful Forums Poster McFunkerson?
I'd presume it's because they have yet to address the problem in a way we can observe. If they are currently addressing it behind closed doors, I'd assume they're figuring out a way to make it possible without theoretically cutting sales in half/forcing the Wii U to be online in order to play digital titles. I don't think what he's saying is without merit, although I'm not sure that I'd say 9 months is the same thing as "a few months."

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 5, 2014

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

pokeyman posted:

What a dumb thing to white knight Nintendo for forums user Pokeyman.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Asnorban posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with every complaint mentioned, and Nintendo has nobody to blame but themselves. I just doubt Nintendo's unaware of the situation, that's all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Asnorban posted:

forums user asnorban with the brutal pwn

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Ultigonio posted:

I'd presume it's because they have yet to address the problem in a way we can observe. If they are currently addressing it behind closed doors, I'd assume they're figuring out a way to make it possible with theoretically cutting sales in half/forcing the Wii U to be online in order to play digital titles. I don't think what he's saying is without merit, although I'm not sure that I'd say 9 months is the same thing as "a few months."

Wow, that doesn't seem like 9 months ago.

Pretty much what Ultigonio said. Obviously the people able to make decisions didn't see these problems when they decided to build the eShop. Hopefully they're making course corrections behind the scenes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a long time Nintendo fan. I love the company and most of their first party titles, but they have a history of having a poor online strategy. I'd like to seem them catch up with the rest of the world in that respect.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
So my refurbished Wii U arrived and is working great. I'm surprising my fiancé with it when she gets home. She and I are fairly competitive so I went and bought an old bowling trophy from the goodwill...

and made this with it...

I've dubbed it The Koopa Cup™

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

Hm. Are you thinking of something like this?
edit: oh god dangit some big booty-patooty beat me to the punch

I'd presume it's because they have yet to address the problem in a way we can observe. If they are currently addressing it behind closed doors, I'd assume they're figuring out a way to make it possible with theoretically cutting sales in half/forcing the Wii U to be online in order to play digital titles. I don't think what he's saying is without merit, although I'm not sure that I'd say 9 months is the same thing as "a few months."

It would probably be best if they copied Microsoft's model whole cloth. You have a "home" system that the licenses can be played on at all times with or without a connection, but you can log into your account on any console and download/play your games as long as you're online. It used to be that you were limited to changing "home" systems once per year, but that limit could be circumvented by calling Microsoft (usually only comes up when you send it in for repair, which was kind of an issue with my old 360).

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

pokeyman posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with every complaint mentioned, and Nintendo has nobody to blame but themselves. I just doubt Nintendo's unaware of the situation, that's all.

Ha. Gotcha. I have a hard time reading exactly how dumb the thread is being any given moment.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So that Bayo 2 LE is Europe Only? :(
I would've really liked to have both games in their own cases but I guess I'll just suck it up and buy the normal edition.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

forums user asnorban with the brutal pwn

Austrian Mook with yet another :iceburn: to put Nintendo haters in their place.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Austrian Mook with yet another :iceburn: to put Nintendo haters in their place.

Feel free to call me Mook.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So that Bayo 2 LE is Europe Only? :(
I would've really liked to have both games in their own cases but I guess I'll just suck it up and buy the normal edition.

As far as I can tell, Limited Editions in general are a Europe Only thing now. Obviously I'm exaggerating, but I've been bitter ever since I had to import Sonic Generations CE from Europe. (Only time I've done that, though I'd probably consider that for a Zelda CE with something more substantial than a scarf)

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha holy gently caress the EU Bayonetta direct vs the one that I'm assuming is NoA? You guys can't read subtitles or what?
Seriously considering getting the Book of Angels version, but no idea what it'll cost yet.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Look, I can either read subtitles or look at Bayonetta's sexy body, but not both at the same time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
those loving enemy designs are unbelievable. Can't wait to see what the boss fights end up looking like

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

No Egrets posted:

I've dubbed it The Koopa Cup™

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing, it's always neat to see when people do cool stuff like this. Be sure to let us know who wins it!

Incidentally, regarding the comment about you and your fiance being competitive: have you two played Super Mario 3D World? That's got a kind of cooperative-but-competitive multiplayer, and it would be interesting to hear more of what people thought of it. It seems like a number of people consider it to be a primarily single player game with multiplayer as a bonus, which I think I'd agree with, but other people seemed to have really enjoyed it. With more Nintendo titles having multiplayer features it would be interesting to see if there's more of this kind of indirect competition.

Austrian mook posted:

those loving enemy designs are unbelievable. Can't wait to see what the boss fights end up looking like

I did not even play the first Bayonetta but the second one looks awesome. I've heard some mixed things about the first, but there seems like no reason NOT to get it since it's being re-released. For people familiar with the series, does it seem like you should play/beat the first before playing the second?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
It's a Platinum game so the story is completely ignorable. Bayonetta 1 is seriously Top Tier action gaming though, so definitely pick it up; just not for PS3, it has massive framerate issues and becomes practically unplayable in some parts.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You should definitely play bayo 1 unless they super gently caress up the wii u port.

e: in which case you should play it on 360

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 5, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

darkhand posted:

It's a Platinum game so the story is completely ignorable. Bayonetta 1 is seriously Top Tier action gaming though, so definitely pick it up; just not for PS3, it has massive framerate issues and becomes practically unplayable in some parts.

why would you ignore platinum writing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

darkhand posted:

It's a Platinum game so the story is completely ignorable.

I hope somebody Zandatsus you for saying such horrible lies.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I was thinking the USB port would allow it to have more versatility and stay in place easier. I'll just buy this poo poo though.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

TaurusOxford posted:

I hope somebody Zandatsus you for saying such horrible lies.

Austrian mook posted:

why would you ignore platinum writing?

Haha I meant not offense. Platinum writes funny and fun games, that's the beauty of them. Game-stories are so stupid and are constantly shoved in your face. Plat games are a breathe of fresh air, you can have fun actually playing a game, the stories are there to have fun with, but they don't hold much significance. You won't need to know Bayonetta 1's story to have fun in 2.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I was already sold on getting Bayo 2 but that Direct got me super loving pumped for it. Never played the first game so I'll be happy to check it out with those stupid awesome Nintendo costumes. I hope there's a DLC pack for MK8 that has Bayonetta in it...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really liked Bayonetta alot and do think it was easily the best hack n slash of the last gen but holy poo poo the story was painful to sit through at pretty much all moments. That poo poo was just plain bad and it's odd to see people getting touchey when someone says that's it's ignorable.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bayonetta's cutscenes were stupid funny, that's why ignoring them is dumb. Taking them seriously is real dumb too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Surlaw posted:

Bayonetta's cutscenes were stupid funny, that's why ignoring them is dumb. Taking them seriously is real dumb too.

I didn't find them funny. I didn't find them so good they were bad, I didn't find them good, I didn't even really find them ridiculous. I mean I didn't go in there expecting a great story or anything but I just found them to be dull with not really all that much to redeem them.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

axleblaze posted:

I didn't find them funny. I didn't find them so good they were bad, I didn't find them good, I didn't even really find them ridiculous. I mean I didn't go in there expecting a great story or anything but I just found them to be dull with not really all that much to redeem them.

If you can't find the good and ridiculous about things like stealing a motorcycle and starting it by jamming your middle finger in the ignition then that sounds like a problem with your broke rear end brain

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wait, somebody earlier said you can get Bayonetta 1"at a discount" if you buy Bayonetta 2 digitally? That discount is 100% right?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That was my assumption as well. Has that suddenly changed?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait, somebody earlier said you can get Bayonetta 1"at a discount" if you buy Bayonetta 2 digitally? That discount is 100% right?

If you buy the Bayonetta 1 + 2 pack normally it's $59.99. If you buy the combo digitally, it's $59.98. This is not a joke (well sort of) :v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

absolutely anything posted:

If you can't find the good and ridiculous about things like stealing a motorcycle and starting it by jamming your middle finger in the ignition then that sounds like a problem with your broke rear end brain

Eh, I just found alot of the stuff just sort of bland and less interesting than the actual gameplay and even then way too often the game tries to have actual plot with it's characters explaining it and a little girl version of yourself and an extremity uninteresting love interest and for every moment of something fun there just seemed to be two moments of trying to tell a terrible story that tried to get me to give some sort of poo poo about the uninteresting characters. Pretty much whenever anyone was talking, I wanted them to not be talking because they were never saying anything the least bit worth listening to. I honestly for the life of me can't even remember what any part of the plot even was, which considering how much time the game spends in cutscenes, is kind of odd.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What's kind of why I loved Metal Gear Rising, because that game's approach to plot is like 9/10ths anime power worship set to heavy metal and it doesn't waste a whole lot of time on the specifics. Those specifics are still there, as the game has an absolutely ridiculous amount of codec calls you can hear, but generally the cutscenes revolved around Raiden loving people up and doing cool ninja stuff.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Macaluso posted:

If you buy the Bayonetta 1 + 2 pack normally it's $59.99. If you buy the combo digitally, it's $59.98. This is not a joke (well sort of) :v:

It is a joke, but you're not lying. :v:

With a price like that, I'm assuming that the two games separately are going to be something like $39.99 and $19.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
lol love interest

• Locked thread