Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It could be separation anxiety too...she realizes that bedtime means being away from you and does not like it. That's pretty common at some point between the 9-18 month range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Molly Bloom posted:

Aye, she's cruising ATM, one hand on stuff, the other one grabby. And fast. She's also babbling a lot. We've just never had a sleep disturbance like this without her being sick. Its been getting worse all through August and has become pure hell since Monday.

You've got to figure out, say, the precise angle she wants to be held. Last night she sat there, red-eyed, shuddering and snivelling. At 4 am, on the floor. Tired as anything, determined not to sleep.

Do you cosleep? Could you do side lying nursing where you nurse her to sleep and then drift off yourself?

I'm also inclined to think it's not your milk supply. Could definitely be a mental leap/growth spurt.

e: yes also separation anxiety.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

frenchnewwave posted:

Do you cosleep? Could you do side lying nursing where you nurse her to sleep and then drift off yourself?

I'm also inclined to think it's not your milk supply. Could definitely be a mental leap/growth spurt.

e: yes also separation anxiety.

We do whatever it takes to get her to sleep. Lately, this is what I have been doing. But I wale up to find her still gnawing on my boob an hour later (and hysterical when I take it out to St the chapping) or she lets go herself and screams just as I go to sleep. Then she rolls around and has a big tantrum in between us and no one sleeps.

I've just rocked her back off to sleep while typing this. Husband says he'll stay up with her tomroow night, since he hasn't got to work on Saturday and Sunday.

If I haven't killed myself by then.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Babies are just weird sometimes. Our kid was doing that a few months ago, but now he's down to waking up only twice a night. Don't know why, but I just powered through it at night and took naps at work. Not the most helpful answer, I realize, but I don't think there's a perfect solution out there. Although we didn't use pacifiers with our youngest, we did with our oldest, and when he was waking up a lot, we'd just track down the pacifier from wherever it ended up and re-insert it, that seemed to help for him.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Molly Bloom posted:

Husband says he'll stay up with her tomroow night, since he hasn't got to work on Saturday and Sunday.

You might want to piggyback on this and just go full night weaning. I know I'd night weaned my kids by that age and it was a lifesaver for me. There are different ways to go about it but if dad is in charge at night and baby is unable to access boob, that can help with some kids. My last baby night weaned with just me flipping him over and hugging him from behind for a while, then he'd drift back off to sleep. My older kid was a little harder and my husband had to separate her from me.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, so we are going through something very gross over here - my 20-month old toddler is obsessed with taking off her diaper, putting her finger in her dirty diaper, etc.

Sometimes I wish there was always a camera pointed at my face, so I could laugh at the look of utter despair on my face every time my 19 month runs up to me with his hand in the air, yelling "Daddy, poo-poo!"

It's not just the poop-hand that's the problem, it's hoping he didn't stop along the way to leave his mark on things in the house.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Molly Bloom posted:

Aye, she's cruising ATM, one hand on stuff, the other one grabby. And fast. She's also babbling a lot. We've just never had a sleep disturbance like this without her being sick. Its been getting worse all through August and has become pure hell since Monday.

You've got to figure out, say, the precise angle she wants to be held. Last night she sat there, red-eyed, shuddering and snivelling. At 4 am, on the floor. Tired as anything, determined not to sleep.

Our doctor had us go but some children's Benadryl when we had a similar issue go on for more than 3 or 4 days. At that point the lack of sleep starts to be come a real problem. She may have night terrors.

Your other alternative is to just let her cry it out. If there's nothing actually wrong she'll eventually learn that you aren't getting her out. This is about the age where that can start happening.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son has finally seemed to grow to if not like, at least tolerate school. Toward the end of last school year almost no screaming meltdowns, no taking swings at the teachers, and no throwing his shoes and/or his desk at people. Also during the month of his extended school year (he gets part of June, and all of August off, the rest he goes to class), with none at all. And so far this first week in the fifth grade.

We also finally seem to have settled into a medication set up that has finally stablized his moods and self-harming behavior. We've gone a full year without the self-harming cropping back up, and having to rejigger his medications.

I got his standardized test scores for last year back, and he failed every single one, so that was a bit of a downer. But I'm hoping with everything seeming to be going well, he can bring his scores back up.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Our doctor had us go but some children's Benadryl when we had a similar issue go on for more than 3 or 4 days. At that point the lack of sleep starts to be come a real problem. She may have night terrors.

Your other alternative is to just let her cry it out. If there's nothing actually wrong she'll eventually learn that you aren't getting her out. This is about the age where that can start happening.

Benadryl can also make kids more wired instead of sleepy. I wouldn't give an under 2 year old medicine because she's not sleeping. Wtf people do this?

And there is something wring if she's crying. She may want to eat, a cuddle, be scared, whatever. Babies don't cry because everything is a-ok.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

JBark posted:

It's not just the poop-hand that's the problem, it's hoping he didn't stop along the way to leave his mark on things in the house.

Yes, the trail of tears. Thankfully it's just been carpet and clothes, because if it got on the furniture or in an eye/nose/etc I wouldn't know what to do. Flush out the nostrils with water? Throw out the couch?

She just discovered climbing out of her crib yesterday, she's 20-months old, so that is a new development and we will be converting her crib to a toddler bed tomorrow. Which I am dreading, as she shares a room with her nearly 4-year old brother and I am not looking forward to the shenanigans they will get into together after lights out. They have a baby gate on their door, which her brother knows how to open and often leaves open once he escapes. Which is how she and her poo-fingers escaped yesterday, prompting my cries for help to the interweb.

This digging-in-her-diaper thing is rather new. It used to just be diaper removal (she loves being nude, but usually being barefoot will suffice when in public) but she's really discovered her vagina. Today, if she got quiet, I could find her in a corner with her back to everyone and she's just digging into her vagina. I don't really know what to do besides put more layers of clothes on her, which seems cruel in this Southern California heat, and she somehow finds a way to her crotch through whatever I put her in anyway. I also don't want to give her a complex about her genitals, since her brother discovered his penis around the same age and was as fascinated with his stuff as she is with hers. I think maybe the poo-fingers is just an unfortunate side effect of her self exploration.

Raising kids is complicated. And gross.

On another note, her older brother is just not interested in potty training. He knows he can't go to preschool in diapers, he has a little potty to use and we put him on it in the morning and at night, but he just doesn't care. We tried potty training him once, and he just peed all over himself constantly. We bought special underwear, gave him treats, praised him, watched potty training videos, but none of it connected to any kind of training. Please, someone tell me it really does "click" at some point, and I won't be changing his diapers when he's a teenager.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Yeah, the benadryl thing isn't actually a possibility here. We did survive the night, barely. She's ready to go, of course.

I'm pretty sure she isn't hungry, because she didn't take much of the formula we made up. And she still woke up at 2.30, 3.30, 4.45, 5.30 and 7.30. She only took milk at 5.30 and 7.30, and just gummed me half to death the other times.

She's never taken a dummy. Just won't.

The thing that makes us think she's not suffering from separation anxiety is that she howls while she's in bed with us. She shrieks until she's breathless *while* we're cuddling her.

I don't know anymore. She was practically weaned at night- she only woke up in the night during a really hot spell this summer because she was thirsty.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

On another note, her older brother is just not interested in potty training. He knows he can't go to preschool in diapers, he has a little potty to use and we put him on it in the morning and at night, but he just doesn't care. We tried potty training him once, and he just peed all over himself constantly. We bought special underwear, gave him treats, praised him, watched potty training videos, but none of it connected to any kind of training. Please, someone tell me it really does "click" at some point, and I won't be changing his diapers when he's a teenager.

It does eventually just click with kids. And statistically, boys tend to take longer to get there, and even once they've got day time down, tend to have trouble with over night. With mine, it was like someone flicked a switch. One day, he's wetting himself every time. The next, he's going in the toilet consistently.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're sort of in the same boat with our 21month old discovering he can get out of his crib. He hasn't done it yet, but if I wasn't there to stop him, he would have fallen out. Ugh...time to buy the conversion kit. He's pretty good about telling us when he's pooped so we haven't had to deal with poop smearing yet, but if he's diaper less, he thinks our floor vents are meant to be peed in.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

sheri posted:

Benadryl can also make kids more wired instead of sleepy. I wouldn't give an under 2 year old medicine because she's not sleeping. Wtf people do this?

And there is something wring if she's crying. She may want to eat, a cuddle, be scared, whatever. Babies don't cry because everything is a-ok.

She could be crying because she doesn't want to sleep anymore, which isn't really negotiable at 2am. At 13 months our son was doing that, where he would wake up and the only thing that he wouldn't cry about was being allowed into the living room to play with his toys or look out the window at all the cars parked outside.

What that meant was that us going in there just amplified the crying, because then he saw that we were awake but he still wasn't getting what he wanted. We let him cry for one night, took 30 minutes and that was the end of his waking up at night (excluding the occasional teething or sickness).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

sheri posted:

The Benadryl worked for us to get some sleep when we really needed it. Are you judging for a reason?

Just because there's a reason doesn't mean you need to respond or react to it. The reason could be 'I don't like sleeping' which is not a reason that should be validated. If the baby is healthy and safe sometimes it's better to let them be. If you've changed the diaper, tried feeding, and had a cuddle, there's literally nothing beyond that to do short of going to the doctor, so going back in just exacerbates the problem.

If Benadryl is not an option, try ear plugs. As much as the crying is difficult to bear, your daughter will eventually get tired enough to conk out.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Well, just a quick google re: benadryl and similar drugs:

"Before age 2, the drug can have unpredictable or even toxic side effects, said Glenn Whelan, a doctor of pharmacy and assistant professor at the University of South Florida.

For children over age 2, the drug is "generally considered safe" when taken in recommended doses, Whelan said.

But it should not be used routinely for sleep even in older children, he said. Its effects can be unpredictable. And it's no substitute for good sleep habits, such as a consistent bedtime."

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

sheri posted:

Well, just a quick google re: benadryl and similar drugs:

"Before age 2, the drug can have unpredictable or even toxic side effects, said Glenn Whelan, a doctor of pharmacy and assistant professor at the University of South Florida.

For children over age 2, the drug is "generally considered safe" when taken in recommended doses, Whelan said.

But it should not be used routinely for sleep even in older children, he said. Its effects can be unpredictable. And it's no substitute for good sleep habits, such as a consistent bedtime."

That's good that you can google. It's so easy that I did it too before we gave drugs to our infant, for a total of two nights, as specifically recommended by our paediatrician, who happens to be the chief paed at our local hospital and whose recommendation was confirmed by the pharmacist. This is not the same as using it routinely or without guidance.

Our children have excellent sleep habits, and both now sleep far better than most kids judging by many of the posts in this thread. It was a specific solution to a specific problem and I offered it up as something to consider because someone else was having similar issues. It got us sleep when we needed it and broke our infant out of his cycle of screaming at night.

For context, it is also sold over the counter in Canada, where I live, with explicit dosing instructions for children under the age of two: http://m.benadryl.ca/products/children/childrens-benadryl-liquid. The FDA took a different, more conservative, stance for its approval and doesn't recommend dosages for children under 6 without speaking to a doctor, but my 'quick google search' uncovered a whole range of people posting on forums who were given the exact same dosages by their doctors when they asked. Everyone can decide for themselves what is right - like most things for children there are a wide range of opinions among both the public and professionals. I would not suggest that someone dose their kids without checking with a doctor but taking a generalized statement on the internet over the result of a specific and detailed discussion with your own doctor is equally stupid.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Quick little addition to the stuff I posted earlier about my son and school. He managed to have great days this entire first week, and got 100% on a clock reading quiz they did (all analog clocks). I haven't seen a 100% score on anything in a good while. I'm going to treat him to a nice meal out at a place he likes, because drat, I am ecstatic about all this right now.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Quick little addition to the stuff I posted earlier about my son and school. He managed to have great days this entire first week, and got 100% on a clock reading quiz they did (all analog clocks). I haven't seen a 100% score on anything in a good while. I'm going to treat him to a nice meal out at a place he likes, because drat, I am ecstatic about all this right now.

I'm wondering, since he's doing quite well otherwise, if the standardized test scores may actually indicate an issue of accommodation in test taking? Would it be at all beneficial to investigate whether testing in a lower stress, lower distraction environment such as the counselor's office rather than in the classroom with dozens of other kids might have an affect?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Fionnoula posted:

I'm wondering, since he's doing quite well otherwise, if the standardized test scores may actually indicate an issue of accommodation in test taking? Would it be at all beneficial to investigate whether testing in a lower stress, lower distraction environment such as the counselor's office rather than in the classroom with dozens of other kids might have an affect?

He actually just got accomodations put in place over this past year. He gets the Plain English version of the tests, various manipulatives to help in math, questions on the math test read to him if necessary, an extended testing time, and testing in a separate room. However they were finalized right before testing, so I think it was a combination of not being used to the accomodations, and just generally being so very behind in everything.

He's much closer to caught up to where he needs to be than when he started the fourth grade, so I'm hoping the accomodations, combined with the extended school years, and being in much smaller classes with more one on one time will get him there fully.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 5, 2014

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Molly Bloom, I may have missed this, but is she teething? Have you tried Motrin before bedtime (since it's longer lasting)? That sounds like how my little guy reacted whenever he was cutting a tooth--he'd want to nurse nonstop, chomp on me, and he couldn't self-soothe because the pain was too bad.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
My husband and I have been careful about what we say around the kids, what we watch, and what we listen to so our 2.5 year old doesn't pick up anything problematic. Yet somehow he keeps learning new words that he can (and does) mispronounce as "gently caress". So far we haven't been reacting since that isn't what he's actually saying, but it's awkward when we're around others and he runs around screeching "FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK" because he saw a frog. Any way to mitigate this aside from emphasizing pronunciation?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Ben Davis posted:

Molly Bloom, I may have missed this, but is she teething? Have you tried Motrin before bedtime (since it's longer lasting)? That sounds like how my little guy reacted whenever he was cutting a tooth--he'd want to nurse nonstop, chomp on me, and he couldn't self-soothe because the pain was too bad.

Not at the moment, we were almost certain that she was, but nope :). We use doliprane when she is, as recommended by our doc.

We're on night two of crying it out and she's actually cried less than she has while cosleeping over the last couple weeks. So, well see how it goes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ansiktsburk posted:

My husband and I have been careful about what we say around the kids, what we watch, and what we listen to so our 2.5 year old doesn't pick up anything problematic. Yet somehow he keeps learning new words that he can (and does) mispronounce as "gently caress". So far we haven't been reacting since that isn't what he's actually saying, but it's awkward when we're around others and he runs around screeching "FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK" because he saw a frog. Any way to mitigate this aside from emphasizing pronunciation?

We had to explain to our toddler that every time she said "goddamnit" it was an automatic time out. Of course, it's the same thing for foul mouthed dad when she's around to make it fair.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
If he's not actually saying "gently caress" as in "gently caress you" I'd say do what any normal parent does; turn away and giggle like you're 6, compose yourself, and maybe re pronounce the word for him

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I would say. "Oh did you see a frog? What color was the frog?" Stuff like that. Just re-pronouncing it correctly so other people know the baby doesn't have the mouth of a sailor.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Inudeku posted:

If he's not actually saying "gently caress" as in "gently caress you" I'd say do what any normal parent does; turn away and giggle like you're 6, compose yourself, and maybe re pronounce the word for him

Most of the time they forget about after you stop laughing. My 3 yr old started saying "oww my tit" after my wife blurted it out when he was climbing all over her

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
If it is simple mispronunciation, I just do what Hdip does, engage in conversation with him where I repeat the word frequently, pronounced correctly. There's nothing to be embarrassed about, all parents are familiar with it because no kid ever started talking with perfect articulation and diction right from the start.

If it is him actually repeating swear words, I found that making a big deal of it just reinforced the usage. My kid picked up "loving poo poo"...thankfully his pronunciation isn't the greatest. Initially, we were telling him not to say it, that's for grownups, blah blah blah, and it just reinforced it because it was getting a big reaction. So we started intentionally mishearing him instead. "There''s a viking ship? I don't see a viking ship. *resume speaking about what we are actually playing with*" He's lost interest in it because all it does is make Mom & Dad talk utter nonsense.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Thanks, everyone. We've been doing the "That's right, that is a frrroooooggg!" thing. Sometimes we'll get a "fwak" instead, so good to know that it just takes diligence. He has a "fugga" babble he still does a lot that tends to sound like "gently caress it" but we figured he'll grow out of that one as he talks more. Maybe he just finds it fun to say. I think I've been jumpy about it lately because some of my family will be visiting soon and they're definitely the sort to clutch their pearls first and ask questions later.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
My friend's 3-year-old has fairly clear diction most of the time, but words that start with "s," the "s" just gets dropped sometimes. But it leads to some hilarious mispronunciations.

"Mommy, I wanna play my cooter."
"Ssssssssssssscooter, dear."

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
When I was a young lad who had heard some colorful language in daycare (so around 4-6, I think), I apparently used some colorful language around my father. He and I then had a discussion over "that" word. He explained that it wasn't a word I should use, and there are some words that I shouldn't use except in extreme circumstances.

Me: What are the other words I shouldn't say? :v:

As I recall, my father realized it was a reasonable question then enumerated the standard list I probably would have heard: rear end, poo poo, gently caress, drat. I'm told I was then good and didn't use those words anymore (within my parents' hearing, at least).

As for my own daughter, she had problems with "frog" and "fork" for a while. We giggled a little, but didn't make a fuss out of it.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I am trying to tone down the swearing around my kids and just this afternoon my almost-3 year old Chris was telling the My Talking Tom app ( his "kittyfriend") about the "freakin' birds" outside. Kids just have a knack for picking up on the things you don't want them to say.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
My dad swore a lot, and apparently what worked for my mom was telling me that that is only a "daddy word" and not for me to say, so if I ever got mad and felt like saying those words, I should say "daddy word" instead :3:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I know my children (not the father) for about three years now. They're 5 (boy) and 8 (girl) and we have a very good relationship with each other. Problem is: They don't play too well together as they are constantly jealous of each other. But when I play with one of them they don't have to make concessions or compromises which seems preferable. Now I seem to be the fallback option as well as the main attraction and they ask me to play with them constantly. I don't want to evade my parental duties and am somewhat anxious to have a good relationship since I am not the biological father, so I often play along. But it's a bit much.

If they had their way I'd spend half the day engaged in pushing cars or miniature horses around. It doesn't mean much but I couldn't imagine my dad having done that. Sure, we spent time together but actually playing was reserved for the kids when I was young. It's gotten to the point where I avoid eye contact with the little guy when he barges in, toys in hand, to shove a car in my face expecting me to be the playfellow for the day. So should I tough it out in these important formative years and enjoy our good relationship, limit the play time somewhat or something else? Thank you.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I know my children (not the father) for about three years now. They're 5 (boy) and 8 (girl) and we have a very good relationship with each other. Problem is: They don't play too well together as they are constantly jealous of each other. But when I play with one of them they don't have to make concessions or compromises which seems preferable. Now I seem to be the fallback option as well as the main attraction and they ask me to play with them constantly. I don't want to evade my parental duties and am somewhat anxious to have a good relationship since I am not the biological father, so I often play along. But it's a bit much.

If they had their way I'd spend half the day engaged in pushing cars or miniature horses around. It doesn't mean much but I couldn't imagine my dad having done that. Sure, we spent time together but actually playing was reserved for the kids when I was young. It's gotten to the point where I avoid eye contact with the little guy when he barges in, toys in hand, to shove a car in my face expecting me to be the playfellow for the day. So should I tough it out in these important formative years and enjoy our good relationship, limit the play time somewhat or something else? Thank you.

Unless you have something else you actually need to be doing, smile, take the toy, and go racing. You've got about 5 years left before they won't give a poo poo about you and then you'll (probably) miss it.

If you're really tired of toy cars, try to introduce them to one of your hobbies in a way that makes sense. I have been adventuring with baking so my son helps me pour and mix stuff. I like video games so I taught him how to run around with the thumbstick, and he can play Tearaway 100% by himself on my vita which is pretty fun to see since he's 4 and can barely hold the thing.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Asking my 4 year old what went on in preschool is like asking a Russian POW to discuss nuclear secrets.

But buy a birthday present for my wife, and we're shouting from the loving rooftops.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

photomikey posted:

Asking my 4 year old what went on in preschool is like asking a Russian POW to discuss nuclear secrets.

But buy a birthday present for my wife, and we're shouting from the loving rooftops.

Whisper a curse word under your breath and hear it for months. :j: Kids are amazing.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

photomikey posted:

So that's not just mine.

"What did you do today Alex?"

"Played"

"Did you read any stories?"

"I dunno"

:colbert:

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
My almost 15 month old pees almost every time I get his diaper off now. I am pretty sure it's because even though I TRY not to, I usually shout in surprise and he thinks this is hilarious. :( I am so tired of every diaper change being a full clothing change plus change all the changing table covers and wipe down the whole table etc. etc. I have visions of him being "that kid" that smells like pee all the time.

I am 99% sure it's willful to get a reaction (he laughs while he does it) and he doesn't do it to just me, so I am doing my best to just not react, and ask my partner and parents to do the same. Obviously I try like hell to keep him covered as much as possible but he's also at that age where it's like wrestling a bear no matter where I change him so I'm usually not successful. I find it harder on the floor actually; he has more room to get away, so I stick with the table.

Short of covering his whole room in plastic, just keep on ignoring it and trying harder to keep him covered? We see the ped soon so I"ll make sure it's not something physical but like I said, the laughing kinda tells me it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So that's not just mine.

"What did you do today Alex?"

"Played"

"Did you read any stories?"

"I dunno"

:colbert:

My 13 year old still does that.

"How was school?"
"It was school."
"Did you learn anything?"
"Not really."

She knows how to spell and add though so she must have learned something at some point in her school years...