Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

For the first time ever I didn't savescum like a motherfucker during the trials, but I finished the first one and find out it awards you picarats based on your remaining penalties. I didn't gently caress myself out of anything by not perfecting the trial, did I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Picarats are worth about as much as Wordsmith's testimony.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

For the first time ever I didn't savescum like a motherfucker during the trials, but I finished the first one and find out it awards you picarats based on your remaining penalties. I didn't gently caress myself out of anything by not perfecting the trial, did I?

If somehow you manage to be so incredibly bad as to not unlock everything at the end of the game, you're permitted to replay the final trial to grind for picarats as much as you need to.

You will not need to though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I seriously cannot figure out how the translation for the Layton game stories is so well done, and yet there are always a few puzzles that are worded in such a way that you can sit there for 20 goddamn minutes going "this makes no sense" until you just give up and use a Hint Coin or two in order to figure out that it was just worded in a funny way.

I'm not even talking about the intentionally deceptive ones. Those I can spot the flaw in a mile away.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

precision posted:

I seriously cannot figure out how the translation for the Layton game stories is so well done, and yet there are always a few puzzles that are worded in such a way that you can sit there for 20 goddamn minutes going "this makes no sense" until you just give up and use a Hint Coin or two in order to figure out that it was just worded in a funny way.

I'm not even talking about the intentionally deceptive ones. Those I can spot the flaw in a mile away.

I like your av

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

precision posted:

There are a number that I overlooked like a goddamn idiot :cripes:

Final Trial puzzle "Light the two gems simultaneously!" Got both beams on a single crystal each and waited for the "you got it animation". It didn't come so was just confused. "oh gently caress I need to get both lasers on both crystals?!" Tried for that for a good while before blowing the hint coins which just flat out said "turn the middle crystal you idiot". Pop there it goes.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 5, 2014

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Oh god, that Mayan name joke during the 10-person testimony had a horrendously complicated setup for a simple throwaway gag and I loving loved it. :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

precision posted:

I'm totally making an avatar out of that.

I'm going to steal this once you've changed your avatar and forgotten about it :hfive:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

My only problem with that bit was when you got to the statements of a certain witness and the two surrounding them because they just tanked the framerate.

Also there's a bit I think where you are told to listen to one of the witness's thoughts but like half of them have things to say about the testimony and three of the witnesses have the exact same thought and uuuuugh.

I knew at that point I should listen to wordsmith because his testimony said he had heard something, and his whole deal in the second case was saying how perfect his hearing was

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
God drat, you guys weren't kidding about this game being dark. I thought the first witch trial was :stare:, but I just finished the second one and god drat due to the Professor Layton influence it's all going to be because of swamp gas, moon beams, or holograms, but this is the most horrifying execution method ever. Yes, let's entomb the victim in a metal sarcophagus, leaving the head for last so she can plead for her life before encasing it in metal wrought to look like a screaming face and dropping them into pit to be burned alive! SURE

like the rest of the game is charming and the way the settings screen changes depending on who's in the party is cute, but like, what's the next trial going to be?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

I knew at that point I should listen to wordsmith because his testimony said he had heard something, and his whole deal in the second case was saying how perfect his hearing was

I completely forgot about that point so I tried that witness last because I thought their thoughts on the testimony were just going to be irrelevant and incomprehensible babble. :doh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boy that ending was complete dogshit

Not because what happened in it was bad actually, it just had no idea when to loving end. Like it was almost 2 hours of nonstop cutscene with a very obvious "match shapes" sequence at the end, like they really couldn't have gotten a editor to cut most of the useless poo poo out? "I am dying of a disease... but actually not really. I have the medicine!" "...!" "...Father!" "Woah!" "With this medicine I will not die!!"

Then why even bring it up? Just cripes game end already

Edit: I find it hilarious that I called Darklaw being Eve. "Okay if magic is supposed to exists I bet Darklaw is this cat, same eye color, the things in her hair looks like cat ears and both are black themed." Ending came around and while I was technically wrong was still glad they had the twist of Eve being Darklaw, and the comments on similarities made me kinda feel smart for once even if it was super obvious. Was waiting for a certain other black cat to show up though even if it wouldn't make ANY sense though.

Edit 2: Also not sure if it's worth spoiler tags but I thought most of the animations during trials sucked rear end and the models colors looked way to washed out. Maybe it's due to playing DD first but the only animations I can recall standing out are Emeers and Olivia's. Everyone else felt kinda subdudded or didn't have anything new to offer outside their single animation. Knightle would draw his rubber sword and hide behind his shield but that was it, I dunno, the court just seemed to be missing SOMETHING and I can't quite place my finger on it, but it never felt really satisfying to nail anyone with evidence.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 5, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Maybe that Cat you were hoping for was there, as an unseen shade because his fur is coincidentally pure black, and he's really working his magic to operate all of the things for the shades?

Actually speaking of shades doing the "magic", can someone explain to me how Godoor is supposed to work? Or did they just hypnotize Jean into thinking she grabbed the letter and attempted to strangle Newton while the shades did all of that?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

I completely forgot about that point so I tried that witness last because I thought their thoughts on the testimony were just going to be irrelevant and incomprehensible babble. :doh:

But that's the reason you should try that witness first! :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe that Cat you were hoping for was there, as an unseen shade because his fur is coincidentally pure black, and he's really working his magic to operate all of the things for the shades?

Actually speaking of shades doing the "magic", can someone explain to me how Godoor is supposed to work? Or did they just hypnotize Jean into thinking she grabbed the letter and attempted to strangle Newton while the shades did all of that?

There's a few things that confused me on the ending, keep in mind I was going at 3:00am so some things may not of stuck but on top of that everyone decides to stay and live and while yeah they don't have the story or power of suggestion aren't they still going to outright drug with more of the water? What exactly happened to make you a shade, like did Kira fall into the wagon, get handed some robes and told "deal with it" or what? If they went into that instead of "I'm dying but not really" I think maybe I wouldn't of felt so immensely burnt out by the end of the story.

That and the main prosecutor Barnham really, REALLY should of come back. I was excited to see him as a witness or hear testimony from him because he felt like a actual good character but nope, entire ending I was just laughing to myself about how he's the only one in the dungeon and christ is he going to be confused if anyone remembers him... but nope here he is in a bright pink shirt sure.

Oh and what was the deal with the wagon driver? She seemed fully aware of what was going on but wasn't dressed like a shade and didn't act like one

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I dunno, the court just seemed to be missing SOMETHING and I can't quite place my finger on it, but it never felt really satisfying to nail anyone with evidence.[/spoiler]

I know exactly what it was missing: break downs. You didn't really get to finger culprits and watch them blow up on the witness stand in this one. Instead, you fingered culprits and watched them immediately get dropped in a pit of fire. That's definitely more dramatic but it's not Colgate Zeus writing out punishment suggestions.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

ChaosArgate posted:

Ring the magic knockout bell, replace part of the wall with a window, let Jean do her thing, then knock people out all over again and replace the wall. Or maybe the green paint is a signal to the shades that they need to use their invisible construction equipment to install secret movable panels and remove people's memories when they find them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

avoraciopoctules posted:

Or maybe the green paint is a signal to the shades that they need to use their invisible construction equipment to install secret movable panels and remove people's memories when they find them.

I'm fairly certain the game explicitly says that's the case at some point. The green wall requirement is explicitly so the shades know in advance they need to prepare for Godoor.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

but nope here he is in a bright pink shirt sure.

this was the funniest part of the entire game and i could not stop laughing when i saw it, it made the ending all worth it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Finished LvW last night, that was really fun. I never pegged Edgeworth as having a British accent though

Would pay money for DLC cases with the main cast, set before the finale.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay, Trial 2. Who the gently caress thought Mailer's vocal tic was a good idea? It is not funny. It is obnoxious as poo poo and pointing out that it hurts everyone's ears in the courtroom does not make it hurt mine any less. :argh:

(Game owns thus far otherwise)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Artix posted:

Okay, Trial 2. Who the gently caress thought Mailer's vocal tic was a good idea? It is not funny. It is obnoxious as poo poo and pointing out that it hurts everyone's ears in the courtroom does not make it hurt mine any less. :argh:

(Game owns thus far otherwise)

Japan.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Holy gently caress the ending of Trial 2. :stare: What is even happening anymore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mailer rules, you don't even know. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Lettie Mailer is the best side character because she is cute and good. Emeer is also good, but only cute in a pitying sort of way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I loved the Siiiiiiiiir! But I didn't have headphones on or it turned up that much, and had previously adjusted voice and sfx volume to about half of music.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR! is the absolute goddamn best and I won't hear otherwise.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
SIIIIIIIIIIIIR would make the best text message notification.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hurting ears is perfectly fine if it's in the name of Art.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

alcharagia posted:

Lettie Mailer is the best side character because she is cute and good. Emeer is also good, but only cute in a pitying sort of way.

I loved Emeer and the best part about him was how long the game went on just calling him "Some Guy."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey, thanks for not putting all that stuff in spoiler tags. It's not like I'm still in Chapter 3 or anything.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, thanks for not putting all that stuff in spoiler tags. It's not like I'm still in Chapter 3 or anything.

why are you still reading this thread

go play more Professor Layton

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
So I'm playing along in PLvsPW and I came to a puzzle shortly after the third trial (second in Labyrinthia) that I decided to make a .gif out of. Without any context, it looks spoilery, but it's really not. I'll use the black bars anyway just to be safe.

Also in avatar format:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Play faster

But seriously there are nothing on this page that even remotely resembles a spoiler unless you're mad that someone yells SIIIIIIR at some point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

You will live knowing that a character yells SIIIIIIIIR.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maple Leaf posted:

Also in avatar format:

I think I'll take this. Need a suggestion for text though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not that I know the tic, I already do. It's knowing that that character is gonna be a witness in the next trial.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

I think I'll take this. Need a suggestion for text though.

It's pointless arguing with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Ooh, any gifs of the top screen of the sliding block puzzle after this one?

• Locked thread