Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

fong posted:

Mordenkainen's swords, aerial servants and fire elementals are all better than skeletons. Just sayin~

I put skeleton warriors over aerial servants and fire elementals because they're immune to 99% of status effects. In a straight up fight a skeleton warrior probably won't kill a fire elemental, but you don't have to worry about holds, stuns, charms, dominate, and all that. I agree with mordenkainen's swords though, best summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I had to check something in BGEE and after the patch when you join Dynaheir in the gnoll place she forces Minsc to join your party
Even when he's in Nashkel, which mean you're hosed because you can't travel when your characters are on two maps
jesus christ

:beamdog:

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm near the end of BG1 with my Kensai and he wasn't terrible at all. Kinda wimpy to start but once I got some decent swords and rings I started shredding poo poo like crazy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm doing my first play through of BG(EE), when I should do the ToSC content? I've done most of the quests/content outside of the main story (except Firewine Bridge and Ulcaster). My party is level 6/7 and is the canon party plus cleric of Lathander PC.

Just finished cleaning the Iron Throne HQ in Baldur's Gate and now going to Candlekeep. Pretty easy so far, but a bit of a slog, not "Borderlands 2 level of annoying" slog but starting to grow tired of it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
About now

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I had to check something in BGEE and after the patch when you join Dynaheir in the gnoll place she forces Minsc to join your party
Even when he's in Nashkel, which mean you're hosed because you can't travel when your characters are on two maps
jesus christ
I'm not that far yet. Is this bug avoidable?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

natlampe posted:

I'm not that far yet. Is this bug avoidable?

Already have Minsc, I'd imagine.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So that was amusing. Started doing the Mind Flayer quest in the Underdark where you start out against the Umber Hulks. Since Cloudkill insta-kills them, I had Neera toss it to be done with them. Next came the scene with the Githyanki in the cells. Unfortunately that ends with the Githyanki moving off to the arena area, where they all got hit by the Cloudkill that was still there. A moment later they were all back with me, gave their little speech about how we had to cooperate versus the Mind Flayers, and then went hostile. I had to kill them all, which resulted in the following scene becoming an endless cycle of kill three Umber Hulks > go back to the cells > kill three Umber Hulks until I got tired of fighting them and turned the game off.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

So I beat Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition today. I didn't really touch most (any?) of the ToSC content, because I thought after I killed Sarevok that I'd have the game completed save and be dumped back at Candlekeep or something and be free to do whatever I wanted. I was wrong. :(

So I decided to just forge ahead and import my save to BG2:EE. Just escaped Irenicus's dungeon. I did pretty much everything you can possibly do in there, though I regrettably missed one door that I meant to go back and open in the room with all the wand traps before I went through the exit. I even freed the doppelganger and then ended up killing him.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Callick posted:

So I beat Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition today. I didn't really touch most (any?) of the ToSC content, because I thought after I killed Sarevok that I'd have the game completed save and be dumped back at Candlekeep or something and be free to do whatever I wanted. I was wrong. :(

So I decided to just forge ahead and import my save to BG2:EE. Just escaped Irenicus's dungeon. I did pretty much everything you can possibly do in there, though I regrettably missed one door that I meant to go back and open in the room with all the wand traps before I went through the exit. I even freed the doppelganger and then ended up killing him.

Yo, there should be a "Final-Game-Save" or something similar in your save folder. You won't have killed Sarevok, but you can just load that baby up and do ToTSC.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
So i was thinking of starting another BG2 playthrough, and decided to hunt for some hotfixes to some of the more annoying bugs - namely Jaheira's Harper's Call not working and the PC only being able to assume Slayer form once per game - and I came across: this thread.

Long story short, all of the enemies in BG1EE and BG2EE had all of their proficiencies unassigned. I believe this was corrected in BG1EE because they've had a few patches since then, but in the *9 month* interim between patches for BG2EE the problem still exists.

Christ Beamdog is run like poo poo.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Antignition posted:

So i was thinking of starting another BG2 playthrough, and decided to hunt for some hotfixes to some of the more annoying bugs - namely Jaheira's Harper's Call not working and the PC only being able to assume Slayer form once per game - and I came across: this thread.

Long story short, all of the enemies in BG1EE and BG2EE had all of their proficiencies unassigned. I believe this was corrected in BG1EE because they've had a few patches since then, but in the *9 month* interim between patches for BG2EE the problem still exists.

Christ Beamdog is run like poo poo.

Oh jeeze, that seems pretty bad. Am I understanding this bug correctly in that it makes the enemies too weak since they have no weapon proficiencies? There's a guy who posted some rar links that supposedly fix the issue but they don't seem to work for me. Did they for you?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

For what it's worth I don't see any reference to that in the new bg1ee 1.3 patch notes. Can't be bothered to check 1.2. That thread makes it seem like the problem only existed in bg2ee?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If someone's not playing BG1/2 before don't suggest that they dual class, jesus. Just play an Inquisitor or stick with whatever you want - it's a party game, after all.
Agreed. Dual classing really shouldn't be done on a first playthrough. Having your PC be practically useless for a chunk of the game when you are inexperienced and might have difficulty handling the game could prove problematic. If someone wants a class combination, I think multiclassing would be best.

Callick posted:

I'm near the end of BG1 with my Kensai and he wasn't terrible at all. Kinda wimpy to start but once I got some decent swords and rings I started shredding poo poo like crazy.
I discovered that Kensai in BG1 are also really tough once the party mage is able to cast Spirit Armor on them. That bumps their base AC to 1 and you then add the Dex, Ring and Kensai bonus to AC on top of that.

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm doing my first play through of BG(EE), when I should do the ToSC content? I've done most of the quests/content outside of the main story (except Firewine Bridge and Ulcaster). My party is level 6/7 and is the canon party plus cleric of Lathander PC.
Personally I like to do the ToSC content after finishing with Candlekeep and after then visiting the Ducal Palace in Baldur's Gate. The ToSC content is the toughest in the game, so you might as well be as far along the main storyline as possible before doing it.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Factor_VIII posted:

Personally I like to do the ToSC content after finishing with Candlekeep and after then visiting the Ducal Palace in Baldur's Gate. The ToSC content is the toughest in the game, so you might as well be as far along the main storyline as possible before doing it.

Firewine II: Electric Boogaloo isn't that bad, but Durlag's Tower will definitely screw you over if you aren't ready for it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Scary Island of Mystery can be really impossible for the wrong kind of party

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I always had a lot more trouble with the cultists backstabbing my squishies than anything else.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
After you've made it out of starting dungeon in BG2, who would be the best mage to get for a good-aligned party? I know you can get Aerie from doing the tent quest, but I was wondering if there was someone else who was better. (Currently, my party consists of Minsc, Jaheira, and Yoshimo)

Also, I wanted to ask about dual-classing, because the mechanics are confusing to me. I understand that when you dual-class, you have to reach the same level you were at with you previous class to use those skills again. What I don't understand is why you would not immediately dual-class once you reach Level 2, and minimize the time it takes to reach your previous level. If you dual-class a higher level, does it gives some additional benefit?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 4, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

After you've made it out of starting dungeon in BG2, who would be the best mage to get for a good-aligned party? I know you can get Aerie from doing the tent quest, but I was wondering if there was someone else who was better.

Also, I wanted to ask about dual-classing, because the mechanics are confusing to me. I understand that when you dual-class, you have to reach the same level you were at with you previous class to use those skills again. What I don't understand is why you would not immediately dual-class once you reach Level 2, and minimize the time it takes to reach your previous level. If you dual-class a higher level, does it gives some additional benefit?
Well for instance a level 2 fighter/X mage and a level 9 fighter/X mage will differ by 7 THAC0, a bunch of proficiencies, and up to 68 hit points. You get more class levels because of the benefits those class levels bring you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

After you've made it out of starting dungeon in BG2, who would be the best mage to get for a good-aligned party? I know you can get Aerie from doing the tent quest, but I was wondering if there was someone else who was better. (Currently, my party consists of Minsc, Jaheira, and Yoshimo)

Aerie is probably the best spell caster in the game, if only because you can throw cleric spells into spell sequencers and contingencies.

For dual classing, you only get the benefits of your first class up until the level you dualed, so a fighter 2/mage x would only have the first 2 levels of fighter hp for example, or a mage 2/ fighter x would only have access to the spells of a second level mage.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Aerie is probably the best spell caster in the game, if only because you can throw cleric spells into spell sequencers and contingencies.

For dual classing, you only get the benefits of your first class up until the level you dualed, so a fighter 2/mage x would only have the first 2 levels of fighter hp for example, or a mage 2/ fighter x would only have access to the spells of a second level mage.

So if I understand correctly, when you dual-class, you get all the skills/abilities from your starting class, but they are capped at the level at which you dual-classed.

So, for example, if I were a level 8 fighter, and I dual-classed to a mage, then I'd still be able to use some or all of my fighter skills, but they'd never improve past the 8th level.

Is that correct, or am I just not getting it?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yep. I don't know what they were thinking making a series of encounters that you're completely hosed in unless not only can you melee, but you can melee with specific weapon types that are class-locked.

I suppose you could probably brute force things with sufficient magic missiles and wands of fire, but you would eat a TON of reloads while waiting to pierce magic resistance.

Max Wilco posted:

So if I understand correctly, when you dual-class, you get all the skills/abilities from your starting class, but they are capped at the level at which you dual-classed.

So, for example, if I were a level 8 fighter, and I dual-classed to a mage, then I'd still be able to use all of my fighter skills, but they'd never improve past the 8th level.

Is that correct, or am I just not getting it?

Not quite. You seem to assume you'll have the fighter abilities immediately, and that's not the case. You don't get the abilities of the previous class until your new class level surpasses it.

Step 1: You have a level 8 fighter.
Step 2: He dual classes to a mage. He is now a level 1 mage and has no level 8 fighter abilities. He cannot use fighter weapons or armor. It's as if you started a new game with a mage. The only difference is HP--you will keep the HP of your level 8 fighter (but you won't get the same HP bonuses as a mage; you can only get the levels 1-10 HP bonus rolls once)
Step 3: When he reaches level 9 mage, he now possesses the power and abilities of that level 8 fighter AND is still a mage.
Step 4: As he continues to level up, he will still have the power and abilities of a level 8 fighter, but will also have the power of a level N mage.

e: seriously, dual-classing really isn't very fun because you have a lovely low-level character getting dragged along by the rest of the group for some period of time. I really wouldn't do it in your first play-thru. If you want a fighter/mage, make a multiclass elf/halfelf fighter/mage, or roll a blade (bard kit).

FairGame fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 4, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FairGame posted:

e: seriously, dual-classing really isn't very fun because you have a lovely low-level character getting dragged along by the rest of the group for some period of time. I really wouldn't do it in your first play-thru. If you want a fighter/mage, make a multiclass elf/halfelf fighter/mage, or roll a blade (bard kit).
I wasn't planning on dual-classing the character I was playing at the moment, I was just trying to get a better understanding on how it works, and if it was worth trying in the future. Multi-class character seem like they're much easier to deal with.

The one advantage I see with dual-classing is that you have access to class kits. I thought that a kensai that dual-classed into a mage would make for a good combo, but I imagine that it wouldn't actually work that well in execution.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed a couple unusual dual class combinations recently. First was a Shadowdancer -> Cleric at around level 7. Got stealth/hide up to respectable levels so I could reliably hide in plain sight, then I could parade around with my summoned skeleton warriors while stealthing. Lost its effectiveness in ToB due to all the stealth detection however. Then I dualled a Wiz -> Fighter at level 3. Got to use wands/scrolls all through BG1 which was sweet and then at later levels I would use Vhailor's helm to clone myself, pop a scroll of Time Stop, go into Greater Whirlwind with the clone and I could pretty much instantly destroy dragons. That turned out to be the more fun high level combination and Fighters are pretty fun throughout the whole series due to Bows being excellent in BG1 (had 4 pips) and then dual wielding being excellent later in BG2 and ToB.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

FairGame posted:

If you want a multiclass fighter/mage, go gnome. They are the only race that can multi a mage kit and they get shorty saving throws. While they are restricted to being illusionists, necromancy is their opposition school so you won't really be missing out on much.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting isn't much? :psyduck:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Iretep posted:

Fighter/mages buff themselves to the gills and beat on things. Your dedicated mage will be slinging around the horrid wiltings.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Holy gently caress BG2 throws so much poo poo at you out of the gate. I feel so pressured from all these people telling me to do poo poo and I accept the quest and then when I do something else they get all pissy and urge me to do it immediately and I'm just like CHILL OUT :mad:

Hexxat kept threatening to leave the party like every time I rest not 5 minutes after I got her so I decided to relent and go check out the graveyard dungeon and it's so loving hard and annoying, gently caress those level draining shitheads it's so expensive to restore my levels and I'm trying to save 20k to pay that dude to rescue Imoen and aghhhhhhhh

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Callick posted:

Holy gently caress BG2 throws so much poo poo at you out of the gate. I feel so pressured from all these people telling me to do poo poo and I accept the quest and then when I do something else they get all pissy and urge me to do it immediately and I'm just like CHILL OUT :mad:

Hexxat kept threatening to leave the party like every time I rest not 5 minutes after I got her so I decided to relent and go check out the graveyard dungeon and it's so loving hard and annoying, gently caress those level draining shitheads it's so expensive to restore my levels and I'm trying to save 20k to pay that dude to rescue Imoen and aghhhhhhhh

It's worth noting there's absolutely no time limit on rescuing Imoen (thank God) so you can safely put that off until you do all the sidequests you want to do.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Callick posted:

Relax, there are very few timed quests in BG2, unfortunately Hexxat and Korgan's are two of them, and Hexxat's is very frustrating to do at the start of the game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Aerie is great, if you want a single class mage who has less whiny dialogue then Neera is also good (if youre playing the EE). Unless you're planning to use Yoshimo as an offensive thief (backstabs etc) then you could replace him with Nalia, who can handle pretty much all the locks and traps in the game while being a decent mage.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

fong posted:

Aerie is great, if you want a single class mage who has less whiny dialogue then Neera is also good (if youre playing the EE). Unless you're planning to use Yoshimo as an offensive thief (backstabs etc) then you could replace him with Nalia, who can handle pretty much all the locks and traps in the game while being a decent mage.

Jan Jansen is really, really good.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

FairGame posted:

Yep. I don't know what they were thinking making a series of encounters that you're completely hosed in unless not only can you melee, but you can melee with specific weapon types that are class-locked.

I suppose you could probably brute force things with sufficient magic missiles and wands of fire, but you would eat a TON of reloads while waiting to pierce magic resistance.
I had soloed through the Island with a half-elf Figher/Mage/Cleric and I did have problems with it, since my PC couldn't use any of the anti-werewolf weapons. I didn't have much of a problem with most enemies there, but the wolfwere boss was almost impossible for me to handle. He was immune to all the weapons I could use and I couldn't whittle down his HP with spell attacks, since his crazy regeneration meant he healed much faster than I could damage him. In the end I had to stack a ton of Skull Traps and Glyphs of Warding outside the ship and lead him into them while spamming Magic Missile. That took him down.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Just finished a complete IWD1 + expansions for the first time after being in hospital for a week and i must say i didn't really notice the hospital :D

I absolutely loved it all, gorgeous and awesome encounters. I did find the expansions a bit easy as by that time i was basically running with 4 gods, F/M, F/T, Cleric, F/M. Too much equipment and money in this game to go around and everything is +4/5 with incredible bonuses.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I played BG2 on and off since I was a pup and I never finished the Harper's quest. Shameful I know.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Iretep posted:

I don't think I've ever cast that. Like someone earlier in the thread for me once my fighter classes get high enough all that I ever use my mage for is casting Breach on stuff. Everything else is just more effort for no real reason.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I'm the back to basics advocate and I still love ADHW. I don't bother getting into magic protection fights, but I still happily use mages as nukes, and ADHW is very very good for that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I'm the back to basics advocate and I still love ADHW. I don't bother getting into magic protection fights, but I still happily use mages as nukes, and ADHW is very very good for that.

I'm kind of lazy and it requires quite a lot of effort in that you have to get the enemies into it and not have your guys in. Shooting into rooms and closing doors is a good plan but still losing out on it wouldn't be a big deal.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Last I checked ADHW does not hit friendlies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Iretep posted:

Last I checked ADHW does not hit friendlies.

Yeah, definitely doesn't hit friendlies.