Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tokamak posted:

Ahh, so your one of those people who think the Zoe Quinn stuff detracts from the real issue of nepotism and corruption. Out of all the things to complain about, you chose that parody video :allears:

Only because I thought someone seriously posted it on her twitter with no context. If they didn't do that then I really don't have a problem. It's funny because it's a lampoon of all those crazy diagrams that were going around earlier but I could see how someone getting that as correspondence with no explanation could be disturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
It wasn't a fake tweet, and it was extremely funny and well worth it. As for how it should have been handled, it's too easy to judge the past from the future.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

oh poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Game Development Checklist:

1) Obtain funding
2) Hire programmer or learn to program
3) Hire artist or provide own art
4) Secure publishing (or self publishing)
5) File police reports

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

madeupfred posted:

oh poo poo

You're going to e-jail!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

natetimm posted:

Only because I thought someone seriously posted it on her twitter with no context. If they didn't do that then I really don't have a problem. It's funny because it's a lampoon of all those crazy diagrams that were going around earlier but I could see how someone getting that as correspondence with no explanation could be disturbed.

SJW's :argh:

:gas:

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Noted games shitposter Dominic White keeping up the good fight. I really hope he has one of those muscly woman wrestles me fetish, and isn't just trying to out beta antony burch.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I too hope to one day have the strength to emotionally abuse my SO and intentionally tank a feminist charity.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

lmao

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So, what are the odds that Zoe infected 5 guys with an STD now?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Anal Papist posted:

Noted games shitposter Dominic White keeping up the good fight. I really hope he has one of those muscly woman wrestles me fetish, and isn't just trying to out beta antony burch.

Dominic White: Literally finds awful people inspiring.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

It would work much better if your avatar wasn't basically same.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Falsum posted:

I too hope to one day have the strength to emotionally abuse my SO and intentionally tank a feminist charity.

Please point to any evidence that TFYC is a charity. It doesn't mention being registered as a non-profit anywhere. The money is going to make a commercial game; it have capitalist in the name for god sakes. And no, donating to charity isn't the same thing as a charity. Besides, colon cancer isn't exactly a feminist charity either. It's about as much of a feminist charity, as Doritos is 'all about the gamers'.
Doesn't absolve Zoe from being a jerk though.

Also: :gas:

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Tokamak posted:

Please point to any evidence that TFYC is a charity. It doesn't mention being registered as a non-profit anywhere. The money is going to make a commercial game; it have capitalist in the name for god sakes. And no, donating to charity isn't the same thing as a charity. Besides, colon cancer isn't exactly a feminist charity either. It's about as much of a feminist charity, as Doritos is 'all about the gamers'.

ahahahahahahahahhahaha

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

gently caress colon cancer research

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Stop being mean to Zoe.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Tokamak posted:

You're right my bad, I should have said she, a self-proclaimed feminist, tanked a game jam whose main goal is getting women into game development and whose secondary goal is donating to charity.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
the worst charity is still child's play

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

rainy day posted:

Why? I thought it was basically about giving sick kids some toys so they can have some fun before dying horribly.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rainy day posted:

all charity is child's play, dumb idiots that throw money away for fun

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Someone PM me when something funny happens.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever said the ex boyfriend is pathetic forget the loving Kotaku writer that gives Zoe $30 a check from his $17,000 a year or whatever someone posted earlier

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

blainestereo posted:

Why? I thought it was basically about giving sick kids some toys so they can have some fun before dying horribly.

they buy all their games at full retail price plus a bunch of administrative overhead so if you feel like donating to childs play just buy a videogame and donate it yourself, it's a much better use of your money. There's also the fact that it was created and still exists largely to shield penny arcade's creators from criticism. Kind of like how 4chan is using TFYC to "prove" they're the real feminists or whatever.

rainy day fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 5, 2014

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

rainy day posted:

they buy all their games at full retail price plus a bunch of administrative overhead so if you feel like donating to childs play just buy a videogame and donate it yourself, it's a much better use of your money. There's also the fact that it was created and still exists largely to shield penny arcade's creators from criticism. Kind of like how 4chan is using TFYC to "prove" they're the real feminists or whatever not that I think about it.

So like almost any other charity then?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

rainy day posted:

they buy all their games at full retail price plus a bunch of administrative overhead so if you feel like donating to childs play just buy a videogame and donate it yourself, it's a much better use of your money. There's also the fact that it was created and still exists largely to shield penny arcade's creators from criticism. Kind of like how 4chan is using TFYC to "prove" they're the real feminists or whatever not that I think about it.

quote:

30 seconds worth of Google and Wikipedia said:
With the help of hospital staff, Child's Play sets up gift wishlists on Amazon.com, full of video games, books, toys, and movies. These wishlists send items directly to the facilities as in-kind donations. Instead of buying items off the wishlists users can donate money through PayPal or check. This money is used to make annual wholesale purchases to provide technology like iPads and Xbox 360 systems as well as games and movies.

Also,
Child's Play founded in - 2003
Dickwolves comic published - 2010

So do you get all your news from Tumblr, Rainy Day, or just the bullshit?

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Clitch posted:

Also,
Child's Play founded in - 2003
Dickwolves comic published - 2010

So do you get all your news from Tumblr, Rainy Day, or just the bullshit?

Child's Play wasn't founded to shield them from SJWs over dickwolves, it was created to shield them from (of all things) jack thompson, because the penny arcade guys are loving idiots.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

rainy day posted:

Kind of like how 4chan is using TFYC to "prove" they're the real feminists or whatever not that I think about it.

What's funny is that it's actually true. I'll eat my words when the other side promote feminist charities or efforts that are not "donate to Mattie Brice's/Zoe Quinn's patreon"

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Falsum posted:

What's funny is that it's actually true. I'll eat my words when the other side promote feminist charities or efforts that are not "donate to Mattie Brice's/Zoe Quinn's patreon"

pretty sure there have already been other women in gaming events/game jams?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

rainy day posted:

Child's Play wasn't founded to shield them from SJWs over dickwolves, it was created to shield them from (of all things) jack thompson, because the penny arcade guys are loving idiots.

Uhhhh...So two guys who weren't direct targets of Jack Thompson...started a charity to defend themselves from Jack Thompson? Or they started it to show that gamers were caring and charitable people like anyone else, in the face of someone calling their entire subculture violent and psychotic. How old were you in 2003, rainy day? I'm gonna guess it starts with a 1.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Clitch posted:

Uhhhh...So two guys who weren't direct targets of Jack Thompson...started a charity to defend themselves from Jack Thompson? Or they started it to show that gamers were caring and charitable people like anyone else, in the face of someone calling their entire subculture violent and psychotic. How old were you in 2003, rainy day? I'm gonna guess it starts with a 1.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Falsum posted:

the other side

:eyepop:

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Eh, I worded it poorly and 'the other side' does sound dumb, but it really does bother me that for all their talk about how this is all a misogynistic attack, they have made no effort to promote a game jam that aims to help women get into the game industry, and instead completely 100% unironically suggest donating to patreons instead.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

hosed up but he's right

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

as far as I can tell she's threatening to start sexually assaulting children now?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Falsum posted:

You're right my bad, I should have said she, a self-proclaimed feminist, tanked a game jam whose main goal is getting women into game development and whose secondary goal is donating to charity.

If by getting women in game development, you mean contracting a 5-year old VFX studio from Columbia, where the average wage is half that of the global wage; then sure. A company whose work (afaik) exclusively consists of VFX, Art asset creation and digital art installations doesn't seem like a great choice for developing a game.

quote:

Our client list is already filled with clients like Habro, Toyota, BMW, T-Mobile, MG Morris Garages, Hewlett Packard, HTC, Unilever, FOX, Nickelodeon, TVO Kids Canada, Proexport, Idartes, Fedebiocombustibles, Rtvc, EPM among others.
And you wonder why I'm sceptical about this fundraiser actually meeting its goals, let alone producing a satisfying game. From the way the pitch was written, very little was mentioned in the way of programming experience. Basically Yogventures level of inexperience.

Falsum posted:

I'll eat my words when the other side promote feminist charities or efforts that are not "donate to Mattie Brice's/Zoe Quinn's patreon"

My criticism isn't coming from 'the other side'.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
that tom guy on myspace was pretty cool stop ruining my memories zoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

• Locked thread