Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hoboskins posted:

I like laser boats what was your nova S build?

6 ERML right arm. 2 cmg in each torso. 2 tons of ammo. ams ct. 1t ams ammo in head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Thor-Stryker posted:

So wait, why are people coming back to play a game with a lovely dev team that introduced P2W Clan Mechs?

Poptarting is dead?

Game's still poo poo though, don't give the devs money. I could see it being fun in small doses every once in a while just to see how terrible pubbies are (I chased off a 6 medium laser Jenner with my legged machinegun spider just by turning around and shooting in in the face for no damage over and over).

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I haven't come across a single poptart in three whole days of gaming. Maybe I occasionally got a pop scouting? It's not very common anymore.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

So wait, why are people coming back to play a game with a lovely dev team that introduced P2W Clan Mechs?
I remember the game being ok and all, but it was getting silly when they were all but trying to enforce bracket builds.

Because pubbie tears are still delicious and some particularly bold pubbies are driving around in giant metallic 'kick me' signs.

I'm pretty sure EVE/every mmo ever proved that a bad-ish game can be lots of 'fun' when you play it to screw with other people with your 'friends'.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

KyloWinter posted:

Either I suck or the jenner just doesn't do much anymore.

Well, you might suck, but you might also notice that light's are only like 15% of all queued 'mechs. Nobody is really having a good time with light mechs right now.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

RangerAce posted:

Well, you might suck, but you might also notice that light's are only like 15% of all queued 'mechs. Nobody is really having a good time with light mechs right now.

I play the sdr-5d like a scout/command mech, utilizing uavs arties and seismic to great success. Maybe not in damage numbers or even kills but I average around 150k a game with it with no premium and have a good w/l record with it. Its also fun to play.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
To be a true badass light pilot, you must give up all desire for fame or glory, and renounce all clinging to surviving the match. Your goals are accomplished by assists, not kills, and your finest moment will be exploding under a cascade of lasers, knowing that because you got three fuckin idiot pubs to follow you in their Twolves, and kited them out across the map, their line is broken and your team is winning.

Your greatest thrill is running your rear end up and parking directly behind a retreating direwolf as it backs up, losing a leg to friendly fire but knowing, deep inside, the confusion on that dude's face as he suddenly stopped was worth it.

Your finest moment is soloing a pub who can't aim, and your greatest smarm is watching PPC lightning shoot past your head while you were standing still.

Edit: my favorite moment lately, other than completely rolling a group of tryhards one night, was leaping over the last fleeing Jenner on that ice map as he ran away, blindly shooting as far down as I could with my lasers, and killing him for the win while my wife was watching. Now she thinks I'm good at pretend robots :unsmith:

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 5, 2014

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

To be a true badass light pilot, you must give up all desire for fame or glory, and renounce all clinging to surviving the match. Your goals are accomplished by assists, not kills, and your finest moment will be exploding under a cascade of lasers, knowing that because you got three fuckin idiot pubs to follow you in their Twolves, and kited them out across the map, their line is broken and your team is winning.

Your greatest thrill is running your rear end up and parking directly behind a retreating direwolf as it backs up, losing a leg to friendly fire but knowing, deep inside, the confusion on that dude's face as he suddenly stopped was worth it.

Your finest moment is soloing a pub who can't aim, and your greatest smarm is watching PPC lightning shoot past your head while you were standing still.

Edit: my favorite moment lately, other than completely rolling a group of tryhards one night, was leaping over the last fleeing Jenner on that ice map as he ran away, blindly shooting as far down as I could with my lasers, and killing him for the win while my wife was watching. Now she thinks I'm good at pretend robots :unsmith:

A Good Post About Robots.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Apologies for being bad at robots. So very bad.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Is it still fun to run around with a spider wielding a single erppc? It wasn't good but it sure annoyed the gently caress out of people. :v:

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

paragon1 posted:

Apologies for being bad at robots. So very bad.

You ruined my KDR failbird :colbert:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I logged on to see what the Vindicator looks like and nobody on my friends list was online.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mindblast posted:

Is it still fun to run around with a spider wielding a single erppc? It wasn't good but it sure annoyed the gently caress out of people. :v:

Well, I mean I think you answered you're own question man. It might be fun but it ain't good.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hoboskins posted:

You ruined my KDR failbird :colbert:

:negative:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Mindblast posted:

Never not taliban Spider. Though I did patch the game 2 weeks ago, I still haven't played again.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Chomp8645 posted:

Well, I mean I think you answered you're own question man. It might be fun but it ain't good.

All I meant was whether or not that was the same as back when we started running it. But I guess the answer is "yes"!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
You loving assholes I can't believe I'm getting tempted by the prospect of reinstalling. Since I'm indecisive and the WoL bird mechromancers are no more, somebody tell me what to spend what's left of my Founder's pack (ugh) MC. I have a bit over 16K sitting around I may as well spend. I own quite a few of the classic WoL fits, though I have no idea if any of them are still playable:

Jenner-D SmLas + SSRM
Raven-3L MPL + SSRM + Tag (fun times)
(I swear to god I had a Munchback but apparently not? Maybe I stopped driving them before the final wipe...)
K2 Gaussapult/Boomcat
Atlas D-DC LLas + Gauss + SRM4 (what the hell? I was using a bracket build?)

What should I get? A Daishi? A Mad Cat?

Also, someone shoot me an invite to whatever WoL successor state thing we've got going on. I'm Asterism ingame.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I made a Marmoset with two AC10's, two LL and an XL255. It works surprisingly well.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Never not taliban Spider. Though I did patch the game 2 weeks ago, I still haven't played again.

The trial Nova runs stunningly hot! It will explode after a single alpha!! You can't resist!!!

Also, for anybody with installer/patcher troubles. Run the Client, and look in the upper right for the little gear icon, click it, and select 'Start the MWO Repair Tool', click continue, then click start scan. This will check all your files and update/repair them as needed, without needing to re-download crazy amounts of data. It'll take a while, however.

There are also some 'hidden' options for improving the look of the game:
""
The following configuration variables have been exposed for tuning in your user.cfg file. To add these to your user.cfg file navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online (or your custom installation location) and if it doesn't exist, create a file user.cfg containing these settings as desired. Don't forget to set the value desired.
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0/1 (off/on)
r_DepthOfField=0/1 (off/on)
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0-1.0 (film grain amount)
""

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think it's funny when everyone shits on the Summoner, it's a perfectly fine mech. It might even be considered balanced. The only problem is that it isn't a Timber Wolf, so everyone gives it a hard time. There is nothing actually wrong with it.

In fact you can do most Cataphract builds on it without having the weakness of a normal XL engine. + Every version comes with jump jets for free.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dramicus posted:

I think it's funny when everyone shits on the Summoner, it's a perfectly fine mech. It might even be considered balanced. The only problem is that it isn't a Timber Wolf, so everyone gives it a hard time. There is nothing actually wrong with it.

In fact you can do most Cataphract builds on it without having the weakness of a normal XL engine. + Every version comes with jump jets for free.

Well yeah, but if you have the option between buying a Summoner for mad CBills, or saving those CBills to buy an overpowered Timber Wolf, one choice is clearly better than the other.

I'm not sure what you mean by "free" jump jets though. They still have weight which contributes to limiting what builds you can do with a Summoner - you just don't have the option to remove them.

If the Timber Wolf variant with jump jets didn't exist, the Summoner would probably have more of a reason to exist, but currently it's a fairly worthless mech.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

You loving assholes I can't believe I'm getting tempted by the prospect of reinstalling. Since I'm indecisive and the WoL bird mechromancers are no more, somebody tell me what to spend what's left of my Founder's pack (ugh) MC. I have a bit over 16K sitting around I may as well spend. I own quite a few of the classic WoL fits, though I have no idea if any of them are still playable:

Jenner-D SmLas + SSRM
Raven-3L MPL + SSRM + Tag (fun times)
(I swear to god I had a Munchback but apparently not? Maybe I stopped driving them before the final wipe...)
K2 Gaussapult/Boomcat
Atlas D-DC LLas + Gauss + SRM4 (what the hell? I was using a bracket build?)

What should I get? A Daishi? A Mad Cat?

Also, someone shoot me an invite to whatever WoL successor state thing we've got going on. I'm Asterism ingame.

Buy a nova prime for cbills and some premium time. Grind out the cbills so you can buy the marquee mechs once they transition over to cbills. Worth getting: Nova Prime + S, Any Stormcrow, Warhawk, Timberwolf, or Direwolf. The clan lights are poo, except for the ECM arm on the kit fox.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dramicus posted:

I think it's funny when everyone shits on the Summoner, it's a perfectly fine mech. It might even be considered balanced.

The Summoner suffers from the same issues every other machine in a game that that balances straight from Tabletop does: it's not the optimal mass for its class. Because it's only 70 tons rather than 75, it gets overshadowed by any comparable machine that is of the optimal mass (in this case, the Timberwolf).

This, coupled with the Timberwolf's only "flaw" being its slightly more limited access to the worst weapon subset in the game (ballistics) means that the Summoner, Nova, and Warhawk will always be considered "bad" when compared to the Timberwolf, Stormcrow, and Dire Wolf respectively.

The only area this breaks down is the Light `Mechs, because almost every early light OmniMech is a joke and the one that isn't, the Fire Moth, is too fast for MWO to handle (which is in itself a joke). Yes, with MASC it can run 200kph. That shouldn't be too fast for the servers but I keep imagining a Fire Moth phasing in and out of the world geometry and then snapping its own legs off when it registers hitting a 'pebble' as a fall.

VVV Yeah, the Warhawk's always been one of the rare pseudo-exceptions since 85 tons is the "ideal" weight for 4/6 XL Engines (64kph). The Nova's the real trap, because everyone loves it even though it doesn't take advantage of Ferro/Endo even though it's light enough to make good use of both. And MWO made it nearly as big as the Timberwolf with a similar profile so it's a HUGE "please shoot me" target.

Edit: Yeah. MWO made a `Mech whose chief defining feature was a low, slender profile and made it loving gigantic. I don't get it. :iiam: :pgi:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 5, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I would say the Warhawk has a place in this game alongside the Direwolf, due to the fact that it runs 71kph compared to the 53 of the Direwolf. Direwolves are often left behind by their teams and are caught alone. It happens fairly often, even in goon groups. The Warhawk is fast enough to keep pace with the heavy mechs and still bring respectable firepower and armor.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Summoner suffers from the same issues every other machine in a game that that balances straight from Tabletop does: it's not the optimal mass for its class. Because it's only 70 tons rather than 75, it gets overshadowed by any comparable machine that is of the optimal mass (in this case, the Timberwolf).

This, coupled with the Timberwolf's only "flaw" being its slightly more limited access to the worst weapon subset in the game (ballistics) means that the Summoner, Nova, and Warhawk will always be considered "bad" when compared to the Timberwolf, Stormcrow, and Dire Wolf respectively.

The only area this breaks down is the Light `Mechs, because almost every early light OmniMech is a joke and the one that isn't, the Fire Moth, is too fast for MWO to handle (which is in itself a joke). Yes, with MASC it can run 200kph. That shouldn't be too fast for the servers but I keep imagining a Fire Moth phasing in and out of the world geometry and then snapping its own legs off when it registers hitting a 'pebble' as a fall.

VVV Yeah, the Warhawk's always been one of the rare pseudo-exceptions since 85 tons is the "ideal" weight for 4/6 XL Engines (64kph). The Nova's the real trap, because everyone loves it even though it doesn't take advantage of Ferro/Endo even though it's light enough to make good use of both. And MWO made it nearly as big as the Timberwolf with a similar profile so it's a HUGE "please shoot me" target.

Edit: Yeah. MWO made a `Mech whose chief defining feature was a low, slender profile and made it loving gigantic. I don't get it. :iiam: :pgi:

A lot of the low-weight-for-their-class mechs (the Awesome and the like) could be buffed by giving them powerful quirks -- maybe the Warhawks and the Awesome have a higher threshold for ghost heat when using PPCs, and so on.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
No love for the Loki? I can't wait for a 65t ECM carrier with more hard points than it can reasonably use.

And people who don't adjust armor values will die horribly in it. It's got what, like 40% of max armor?

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 5, 2014

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

Invite sent. Enjoy your horrible decisions.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I would kill for a Loki, and a Shadow Cat. But I don't know what having a proper ecm medium and heavy would do to the meta. You could conceivably encounter groups with complete ecm coverage. I guess it would mostly hurt LRM boats more than anything.

Bah, bring on the ecm.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wales Grey posted:

And people who don't adjust armor values will die horribly in it. It's got what, like 40% of max armor?

About 55%, give or take. The Hellbringer/Loki is another machine that could really benefit from Ferro/Endo but doesn't come with either. If we ever get it it'll be a better E-War platform than the Kitfox since it's as fast as the Timberwolf and is pretty tough once you add some armor.

I just expect PGI won't bother to add it before the game dies since they're terrified of ECM we're already getting the Summoner, and the Mad Dog is a more iconic design (even though the Mad Dog's whole claim to fame is being a Timberwolf with less weapons that also happens to be significantly easier to kill).

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

A lot of the low-weight-for-their-class mechs (the Awesome and the like) could be buffed by giving them powerful quirks -- maybe the Warhawks and the Awesome have a higher threshold for ghost heat when using PPCs, and so on.

Which is exactly what they did for the Awesome. It cools off faster and generates less heat from energy weapons. Along with the CT armor buff its moved from Terrible to Suboptimal. Maybe even all the way to Not Bad.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So, some pubbies want PGI to make a new queue for unmodified mechs only... and they want PGI to charge 50 MC per match.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/169817-how-can-pgi-make-stock-mechs-profitable/

Are there really people who play this game but refuse to customize their mechs? Really?

Edit: They seem to be under the impression that if a stock-mech mode were available then everyone would abandon the normal mode. Are they on drugs, or do they just live in a fictional bubble-dimension?

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 5, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sperg knows no upper limit.

But 50MC a match? What the hell? Pay for the privilege of playing part only part of the content?

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

But 50MC a match? What the hell? Pay for the privilege of playing part only part of the content?

Self-milking cows.

PGI has it easy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Honestly, I'd be perfectly ok with a 'stock builds' option if the game had a healthy enough population to sustain it (it doesn't). It's something that would've made the old trail `Mechs less terrible.

Just imagine: you jump in the 'stock' cue with a `Mech selected and the game gives you the default version of that `Mech (perhaps with red team and blue team default colors :aaa: ) without loving with any of your normal customizations (so you wouldn't have to own an unmodified `Mech). It'd let the purists have their fun and the minmaxers have their fun rather than forcing either to play in a way they hate.

The MC cost is stupid though, the people suggesting it are stupid for doing so, and PGI would have to be actually insane (rather than just incompetent) to charge people money to be their game's content.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

To be fair, that was the upper end of the suggestions. The "more sane" suggestion would be to make it a checkbox option for Premium time matches.

That anyone wants to play the poo poo-tastic stock mechs is a wonder though. Yeah yeah, TT lore uber alles, but we're not playing TT--MWO has a lot of mechanics that will gently caress over stock mechs.
The spergs this game produces... :reddit:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

About 55%, give or take. The Hellbringer/Loki is another machine that could really benefit from Ferro/Endo but doesn't come with either. If we ever get it it'll be a better E-War platform than the Kitfox since it's as fast as the Timberwolf and is pretty tough once you add some armor.

I just expect PGI won't bother to add it before the game dies since they're terrified of ECM we're already getting the Summoner, and the Mad Dog is a more iconic design (even though the Mad Dog's whole claim to fame is being a Timberwolf with less weapons that also happens to be significantly easier to kill).
It'll have the same pod space, but with PGI's hardpoint mess it'll depend on what variants they pick as to how many guns it can actually fit. I suspect the C won't show up somehow.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dramicus posted:

So, some pubbies want PGI to make a new queue for unmodified mechs only... and they want PGI to charge 50 MC per match.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/169817-how-can-pgi-make-stock-mechs-profitable/

Are there really people who play this game but refuse to customize their mechs? Really?

Edit: They seem to be under the impression that if a stock-mech mode were available then everyone would abandon the normal mode. Are they on drugs, or do they just live in a fictional bubble-dimension?

aside from the idiocy of charging for that, wouldn't people just find the four or five best unmodified builds and run with those? An awful lot of unmodified mechs are simply unworkable -- mediums that go 64 KPH, lights that straight-up WILL NOT COOL DOWN on certain maps, etc.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Yeah, if the game had the player base to support it, stock only queues could be fun. I could also see "light only queues" "IS only queues" and lots of other variations of different game modes being fun.

Thing is:

a) There aren't enough players

and

b) Coding a new match type would apparently take PGI a decade to complete.

It's pants-on-head retarded that people want PGI to charge them for the ability to play the game though. :psyduck:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Prepare you are selves for Friday Night Slosh Pops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

aside from the idiocy of charging for that, wouldn't people just find the four or five best unmodified builds and run with those? An awful lot of unmodified mechs are simply unworkable -- mediums that go 64 KPH, lights that straight-up WILL NOT COOL DOWN on certain maps, etc.

It should be a premium private match option that picks a stock mech from the pool of all stock mechs (you don't need to own them) to fit the 3/3/3/3 drop model, then randomly assigns it to a pilot. Each team gets the exact same mechs.

This would be a test of pilot and team skill, though something would have to be done about the weighted starting points on maps.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread