Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So, worthwhile picking this up when collected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SynthOrange posted:

So, worthwhile picking this up when collected?

Yes. Yes it is. It is easily one of the best crossovers in recent time. I am sure it will be better than AXIS.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes. Yes it is. It is easily one of the best crossovers in recent time. I am sure it will be better than AXIS.

Its miles behind Infinity though.
EDIT: Just saying I would be looking more favorably on this if it hadn't followed up Infinity.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's pretty much the second best event in recent memory.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Original Sin has a major edge over Infinity in that you'll be able to read it on its own and it'll be a perfectly satisfying story. Infinity is the end of act one of a three-year arc.

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Infinity. It's just not a very good story as a standalone at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

d00gZ posted:

Original Sin has a major edge over Infinity in that you'll be able to read it on its own and it'll be a perfectly satisfying story. Infinity is the end of act one of a three-year arc.

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Infinity. It's just not a very good story as a standalone at all.

Also how well does it read without its tie in? Can you read it without reading the Avengers and New Avengers tie ins and enjoy it like it is with Original Sin?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 4, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Also how well does it read without its tie in? Can you read it without reading the Avengers and New Avengers tie ins and enjoy it like it is with Original Sin?

They aren't really tie-ins they are a part of the book. You'll never see Infinity collected without them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

They aren't really tie-ins they are a part of the book. You'll never see Infinity collected without them.

Yet they are collected without infinity. I love infinity but you really have to read Avengers and New Avengers from issue 1 to get it, while with Original Sin you can just read the main series. That makes it sort of a better Summer event.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hell the Original Sin Avengers books don't even feature the Orb and the watcher's eye scene. Cap just remembers while dreaming one night.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet they are collected without infinity. I love infinity but you really have to read Avengers and New Avengers from issue 1 to get it, while with Original Sin you can just read the main series. That makes it sort of a better Summer event.

No it just makes it shorter.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I recently re-read New Avengers, just sticking to the New Avenger's issues.

The Infinity issues make next to no sense when read on their own, if you hadn't read the main Infinity series. So I'd say Original Sin will have that as an advantage over Infinity.

But Infinity was a fantastic story line.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I recently re-read New Avengers, just sticking to the New Avenger's issues.

The Infinity issues make next to no sense when read on their own, if you hadn't read the main Infinity series. So I'd say Original Sin will have that as an advantage over Infinity.

But Infinity was a fantastic story line.

I would say most series wouldn't make much sense if you only read every third issue of a story line. I'll stop derailing here but I'd be happy to yell at you all more about this if you want to take it to the Avengers thread.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

I would say most series wouldn't make much sense if you only read every third issue of a story line. I'll stop derailing here but I'd be happy to yell at you all more about this if you want to take it to the Avengers thread.

Done, over in the Avengers thread.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Did Fury Jr even appear in Original Sin? Seems odd that he wouldn't show up in a story that's meant to be the send off moment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dacap posted:

Did Fury Jr even appear in Original Sin? Seems odd that he wouldn't show up in a story that's meant to be the send off moment.

Who?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

I really hate that they called that character Nick Fury Jr just so that they can state that they have "a" black Nick Fury.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

I really hate that they called that character Nick Fury Jr just so that they can state that they have "a" black Nick Fury.

It's the dumbest thing, because I think the odd movie viewer with no knowledge of comics who picks up a a comic could be okay with Nick Fury being white (Whether or not they are happy about it, I assume most people understand that movie adaptations often change significant parts of whatever they are adapting), but dealing with a Nick Fury who looks kinda like Sam Jackson, but is just a rookie agent and not director of SHIELD would be weirder.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would have liked it more if he was just another guy who stepped into the role of Nick Fury instead of just being his son.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

I would have liked it more if he was just another guy who stepped into the role of Nick Fury instead of just being his son.

Like Nick Fury is an inherited title? That would be so weird, even in comics.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It's not that weird. "James Bond" may or may not be a code name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skyfall definitely says it's not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wachter posted:

It's not that weird. "James Bond" may or may not be a code name.

No, it absolutely isn't a codename. That's just dumb people trying to spin continuity out of an in joke.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Okay, but that's kind of missing the point -- the concept isn't that weird. Within that fictional universe, "Q", "M", and "007" are all placeholders, roles to be filled and replaced. Why not "James Bond" too?

Nick Fury's son becoming the new Nick Fury isn't really any different to any other legacy character naming themself after their forebear. The only dumb thing about Nick Fury Jr. is the hamfisted "synergy" with the movies. It would have been more elegant for up-and-coming S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Marcus Johnson to be groomed by OG Nick Fury to be his replacement -- and maybe at a stretch to have OG Nick give a big retirement speech declaring Marcus "the new Nick Fury" -- but, no, he has to actually change his name by deed poll, otherwise the thirteen fans who started reading comics because of the movies won't understand what's happening.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Skyfall definitely says it's not.

Firstly Skyfall is absolutely one of the worst Bond movies of all time. Like, as much as people mock Die Another Day for having a car that turns invisible, Skyfall has parts that are as stupid and intelligent insulting. And, what's worse, they are smug about it. They are actively saying "all those other films are dumb baby films and not super realistic like us." And then they will have scenes where the badguy can perfectly drops trains on James Bond.

Second, Skyfall (if you chose to look for it) has material that support the Bond as codename material. (How Q, M and Moneypenny are all made seem like they are taking over a named role that had been occupied before.)

The stuff with Bond and his ancestral home can also be fan wanked if you go with the theory that Bond's father was himself a previous James Bond who was granted a new identity by MI-6 when he retired and he went and raised his son to be the next generation of James Bond.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there. The worst part (and it is the absolute worst part) about Nick Fury Jr is he is normally brought in as a soldier with some experience but not the same baggage as old Nick Fury. So they can have a one eyed super spy. Fine. But often most writers don't care, and just clearly write him as the old Nick Fury with plenty of crazy old, grizzled adventures under his belt.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 5, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wachter posted:

The only dumb thing about Nick Fury Jr. is the hamfisted "synergy" with the movies.

That was exactly my point, turning Nick Fury into a title is like if Bruce Wayne died and Dick Grayson started going around saying his name was now Bruce Wayne.

The really dumb thing about Nick Junior is that they wanted to abandon every single bit of characterization that both the movie character and comic character shared so they characters will look similar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Firstly Skyfall is absolutely one of the worst Bond movies of all time. Like, as much as people mock Die Another Day for having a car that turns invisible, Skyfall has parts that are as stupid and intelligent insulting. And, what's worse, they are smug about it. They are actively saying "all those other films are dumb baby films and not super realistic like us." And then they will have scenes where the badguy can perfectly drops trains on James Bond.

Second, Skyfall (if you chose to look for it) has material that support the Bond as codename material. (How Q, M and Moneypenny are all made seem like they are taking over a named role that had been occupied before.)

The stuff with Bond and his ancestral home can also be fan wanked if you go with the theory that Bond's father was himself a previous James Bond who was granted a new identity by MI-6 when he retired and he went and raised his son to be the next generation of James Bond.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there. The worst part (and it is the absolute worst part) about Nick Fury Jr is he is normally brought in as a soldier with some experience but not the same baggage as old Nick Fury. So they can have a one eyed super spy. Fine. But often most writers don't care, and just clearly write him as the old Nick Fury with plenty of crazy old, grizzled adventures under his belt.

I'm not going to debate you on the qualities of Skyfall (Skyfall isn't even the worst Craig Bond, and once you throw Roger Moore's films into the mix ooh boy), but Q and M are clearly job titles (M is the actual title of the person in charge of British intelligence in the real world) and Moneypenny is that girl's name. The Craig Bond films are a reboot that kept one actor from the previous series, and the pre-Craig bond films operated on a very loose kind of continuity where it falls apart if you think about it too hard, but oh my god why am I having to explain this bullshit to someone.

Bond movies are silly and dumb, but frequently fun and, more importantly, not comic books.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I just feel that if S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Marcus Johnson had simply affected the title or codename "Nick Fury" in order to carry on the legacy of the original, I wouldn't have a problem, because that seems like something a swashbuckling international super-spy might do. But literally changing his real name to Nick Fury seems dumb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wachter posted:

Okay, but that's kind of missing the point -- the concept isn't that weird. Within that fictional universe, "Q", "M", and "007" are all placeholders, roles to be filled and replaced. Why not "James Bond" too?

Nick Fury's son becoming the new Nick Fury isn't really any different to any other legacy character naming themself after their forebear. The only dumb thing about Nick Fury Jr. is the hamfisted "synergy" with the movies. It would have been more elegant for up-and-coming S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Marcus Johnson to be groomed by OG Nick Fury to be his replacement -- and maybe at a stretch to have OG Nick give a big retirement speech declaring Marcus "the new Nick Fury" -- but, no, he has to actually change his name by deed poll, otherwise the thirteen fans who started reading comics because of the movies won't understand what's happening.

So multiple bonds had a wife named Tracy that was murdered by Blofeld?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Just have him be Fury's kid and have him trained and fielded by Fury in secret, he's Nick loving Fury nobody would have questioned it "This is my son and he's seen some poo poo, this is his partner Coulson, I gotta go do a thing on a wall peace out squares." *rides rocket bike out through the wall slapping Maria Hill on the rear end as he exits*

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So multiple bonds had a wife named Tracy that was murdered by Blofeld?

I loving hate the "different guys playing Bond" theory. Also didn't the guy who directed Die Another Day come up with that stupid poo poo?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Black Fury is one of Fury's super-LMDs that he made one morning thinking "let's mix it up".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

Like Nick Fury is an inherited title? That would be so weird, even in comics.

ITS HIS NAME NOW

Dacap posted:

He's busy hanging around in Tony Stark's empty house waiting for the after-credits scene.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can someone summarize the storyline for me, specifically what happened with the watcher?

I got to take a quick peek while at my friend's house, but I'm kinda confused.

Basically...

The orb has a dream he was invited to the blue area where Uatu lives.
Midas, his daughter, and Orb show up, and Orb blasts Uatu in the face.
They chop out one of his eyes.
Orb, Midas, Daughter all start to... mutate? since Uatu keeps a ton of weird poo poo around his house.
Fury shows up cause naturally he bugged the moon and finds Uatu hosed up and missing an eye, and not happy.
Uatu tells him he sees all things, including the ULTRA SUPER SECRET poo poo that Fury has been up to, and then charges up his hands like he's gonna blast him.
Fury caps Uatu in the noggin with a big gamma bullet cause, apparently gamma bullets are the new ultrakill weapon?
Fury steals the other eye?
stuff happens
Fury is the new watcher, Orb somehow bonds with an eye and becomes an even bigger weirdo, and now Bucky is the super secret killer guy for the world.

That pretty much it? Cause, I'm just kinda confused how anyone shy of some kinda Celestial or Galactus could lop out an eye and not get one fuckton of a fight going. (yes I am choosing to ignore Red Hulk and his I AM SO AWESOME HOOWAH bullshit)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Fury Jr. showed up in a digital-only two-parter tie-in to Original Sin.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone summarize the storyline for me, specifically what happened with the watcher?

I got to take a quick peek while at my friend's house, but I'm kinda confused.

Basically...

The orb has a dream he was invited to the blue area where Uatu lives.
Midas, his daughter, and Orb show up, and Orb blasts Uatu in the face.
They chop out one of his eyes.
Orb, Midas, Daughter all start to... mutate? since Uatu keeps a ton of weird poo poo around his house.
Fury shows up cause naturally he bugged the moon and finds Uatu hosed up and missing an eye, and not happy.
Uatu tells him he sees all things, including the ULTRA SUPER SECRET poo poo that Fury has been up to, and then charges up his hands like he's gonna blast him.
Fury caps Uatu in the noggin with a big gamma bullet cause, apparently gamma bullets are the new ultrakill weapon?
Fury steals the other eye?
stuff happens
Fury is the new watcher, Orb somehow bonds with an eye and becomes an even bigger weirdo, and now Bucky is the super secret killer guy for the world.

That pretty much it? Cause, I'm just kinda confused how anyone shy of some kinda Celestial or Galactus could lop out an eye and not get one fuckton of a fight going. (yes I am choosing to ignore Red Hulk and his I AM SO AWESOME HOOWAH bullshit)

Fury was dying and Uatu wanted Fury to take his place. He knew if he summoned some bad dudes, like the Orb and Midas to his base, that Fury would show up given the stakes. He was fed up of watching, had seen his own death and accepted that his time had come. He'd also seen everything that Fury had done and knew that Fury would be the right replacement.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Can we get a run down of all the Sins revealed in the tie-ins?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Gambit: Not actually French, just adds random French words to his sentences to sound cool.

e: Off the top of my head: Dum Dum has actually been an LMD since, like, the 50's; the radioactive spider bit someone before Peter Parker; Tony saved Bruce's life and almost saved him from becoming the Hulk; Angela is Thor's sister and there's a Tenth Realm of Yggdrasil; Black Bolt attacked the Kree first; Strange wiped Cap's mind of knowledge of the Illuminati; Howard the Duck could have been his reality's Reed Richards; J. Jonah Jameson once wrote an article gushing over a Spider-Man TV special and Lockjaw buried a huge bone on the Moon.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 5, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Wachter posted:

Can we get a run down of all the Sins revealed in the tie-ins?

Off the top of my head

Maybe Iron Man helped create the Hulk? He was pretty drunk back then but it's still Banner's hubris that caused it/it's still Banner's fault.
Daredevil's mother had post-partum depression which is why she left.
Xavier mind wiped a super powerful mutant pre-X-Men days and had been continually placing mental blocks in him since then to stop him killing everybody. Also he married Mystique at a point.
Someone else got bit by the magic Spider that bit Peter
Angela is Thor's sister
Nick Fury has been going around pre-emptively killing anybody who would threaten Earth
Dum Dum Duggan has always been a robot
Nova's Dad is still alive
Luke Cage's dad was a superhero
Bendis still hasn't revealed what happened to Dick Rider
Cap found out about the Illuminati
And some other things happened.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 5, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Waterhaul posted:

He knew if he summoned some bad dudes, like the Orb and Midas to his base, that Fury would show up given the stakes.

Some people get folks to come over with the promise of beer, the Watcher uses obscure third-tier villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So the story of Fury looking for a replacement was actually Uatu looking for a replacement.

Maybe Watcher-Fury can hang out with Odin and be grumpy old men.

• Locked thread