Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

platedlizard posted:

So I guess FYAD is the equivalent of the Illuminati in the Zoe Quinn thing

http://pastebin.com/rFX1pTfX

Why are people so convinced that there's something behind FYAD? Also what's up with /v/ coming up with elaborate theories to justify their terrible beliefs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

watho posted:

Why are people so convinced that there's something behind FYAD? Also what's up with /v/ coming up with elaborate theories to justify their terrible beliefs?

/v/ is /v/, that's what they do. The FYAD/LF link probably goes through SASS, whose running joke is accusing everyone who falls short of Pol Pot of being a SJW.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

/v/ is /v/, that's what they do. The FYAD/LF link probably goes through SASS, whose running joke is accusing everyone who falls short of Pol Pot of being a SJW.
SASS has a new name though :tinfoil:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

At some point they'll realise that SRS on reddit is stacked with former LF posters and the game will be up. The conspiracy will be exposed and the internet web points will flow freely again.

*tips fedora knowingly*

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
I would conspire to make gamer culture into less of a shithole, so sign me up for the secret handshake I guess.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I love how using the phrase "Social Justice Warrior" as a derogatory means you're pretty much a total shithead who doesn't want to have to reform your own misogyny, homophobia, racism, or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mercury_Storm posted:

I love how using the phrase "Social Justice Warrior" as a derogatory means you're pretty much a total shithead who doesn't want to have to reform your own misogyny, homophobia, racism, or whatever.

Its basically political correctness of the internet age.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Despite the fact that there is such a thing as a SJW and holy gently caress are they nuts. Or 15 years old. Or both.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Despite the fact that there is such a thing as a SJW and holy gently caress are they nuts. Or 15 years old. Or both.

Life will be hell if we don't dismiss idiots out of hand.

*looks at entire forum, purpose of forum* Oh.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SedanChair posted:

Life will be hell if we don't dismiss idiots out of hand.

*looks at entire forum, purpose of forum* Oh.

D&D would actually cure the latter fairly well. The former need a doctor.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

I think in this case in depends on what SJ Warrior level they're at. For example if they look like this:

Then maybe it's time to get out of there.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

platedlizard posted:

So I guess FYAD is the equivalent of the Illuminati in the Zoe Quinn thing

http://pastebin.com/rFX1pTfX

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

https://twitter.com/search?q=http://pastebin.com/rFX1pTfX People are actually taking this poo poo seriously. :psyduck:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 3, 2014

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's become a dogwhistle at this point. M'ladies/Fedora-tippers are the future of the American Right.

In a few more years Gamer Romney will be telling us how unions will destroy the console market.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BBJoey posted:

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

https://twitter.com/search?q=http://pastebin.com/rFX1pTfX People are actually taking this poo poo seriously. :psyduck:

One of them is loving Kirtaner bitching about how SA "harassed him"(read: banned him for being a pedo creep) in the past. Hahahahahaha.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
It's not about conspiracy nuts per se but as the conversation has moved this way I would love to share my favorite quote about the BROGAMERS vs FEMINISTS phenomenon:

quote:

It's hilarious because these people, the harassers, are fighting a completely losing battle and the spasms of hatred really are more like the twitches of a dying body than a coordinated response. They are suddenly out of their depth in a world they thought was created entirely for them, a masturbatory fantasy land they think they "own" because, apparently, women in gaming is a "new thing".

These people are on the wrong side of history, and they have spent their lives consuming only one media form, one that has largely been exempt from any real criticism in the past. Gaming has been niche, and niche cultural expressions are not necessarily judged in a similar way to more established ones. Misogyny in gaming has been handwaved away by the rest of the world as "games are for children and manchildren".

Now, games are faced with the same criticism and intellectual discussion as other forms of media. These crazy things called "books" and "films" have feminist (and other -ist) critiques which add to the understanding of what it means to say something in the cultural arena. BROGAMERS and their ilk literally cannot understand why this is happening to games. They cannot, and will not separate "critical analysis" from "criticism". Some of the best literature has gone through decades (if not, sometimes, thousands of years) of deconstruction, discussion and rewriting. People search for intended and subverted meaning, suggest death-of-the-author interpretations and even rehouse the story in their own cultural understanding just to tell it in a slightly different way.
You can take the Odyssey and say "No, Penelope's experiences are just as important as Odysseus's" and you've made a valuable contribution to the world of books. But, christ, you say "hey maybe having sexy corpses of prostitutes everywhere for the player to try and get a look up their skirt is a bit sexist" and a legion of man-children will claw their way out of their mother's basement, brush doritos dust off their wanking hand and start doxxing you.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I just find that whole "Games are art, but also stop looking into its so much they're just games," attitude hilarious. It's a perfect summation of Gamers' screeching desire to be taken seriously without having any expectations of personal responibility attached.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's also the people making the games that are guilty of that. There are a whole lot of insecure, touchy people out there making games.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I just find that whole "Games are art, but also stop looking into its so much they're just games," attitude hilarious. It's a perfect summation of Gamers' screeching desire to be taken seriously without having any expectations of personal responibility attached.

Well, it has to be said that many people doing the screeching about SJWs etc also have a visceral averse reaction to arty games and games as art.

The critics and commentators currently being shouted at by these people are generally of the crowd of gamers who have been pushing the "games as art" thing.

In any case, defining whether something is art by the medium is something that fell by the wayside in art circles decades ago.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Both. Have you not had to deal with teenagers who are just starting to form an ideology and taking it way too seriously?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I have no idea what that pastebinned thing is going on about. I was active in FYAD for a couple years when I first joined SA, and later Helldump and of course LF, so like, I feel like I should at least be familiar with it, having been active in all those places, but maybe it's just because I don't care about dumb internet drama.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ReidRansom posted:

I have no idea what that pastebinned thing is going on about. I was active in FYAD for a couple years when I first joined SA, and later Helldump and of course LF, so like, I feel like I should at least be familiar with it, having been active in all those places, but maybe it's just because I don't care about dumb internet drama.

Clearly you were just never invited to the secret club. The Real FYAD, the FYAD behind the FYAD.

You were just part of a front, working the cash register at the door to the internet mafia's super secret hideout, thinking they were just a bunch of respectable (well, maybe not so much respectable) businessmen and nothing more.

It's all a conspiracy, you see, and you're part of it even if you don't realize it!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

platedlizard posted:

It's a fandom thing, I think. I've seen similar behavior amount Supernatural fans who believe the two male leads in the show are lovers but the evil network is keeping them in the closet. Elaborate theories about how is he wears one color and the other guy wears a matching color they're totes together, etc.

I'm only to season 3 of this on Netflix but this is the dumbest poo poo I think I've ever heard. Especially if they're referring to outfits Sam/Dean's actors wear on the show since even the plain clothes outfits are still going through other people in planning.

Hodgepodge posted:

I would conspire to make gamer culture into less of a shithole, so sign me up for the secret handshake I guess.

Nothing short of Skynet will make this possible. While I can forgive gamers who get angry because they're really passionate about a game and it gets the better of them (like with sports fans breaking down when their team loses the big game), the level of self-entitlement I've seen from gamers is completely off the charts. Mix "the customer is always right"(no you aren't) with internet anonymity and add a dash of pure pettiness and you get a good reason for nuclear winter.

Then again, you have people unironically calling themselves "brogrammers" and poo poo so I'm not holding my breath on gaming culture becoming less of a toxic shithole any time soon. Gaming companies don't call out their toxic players that much because it could be bad for their business. Or when they do it's mostly toothless instead of planting their foot directly on the throats of those people.

D&D would actually cure the latter fairly well. The former need a doctor.

D&D wouldn't help. They'd just want to play a Paladin and be a literal white knight. :rolldice:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I have actually never been exposed to this sort of thing. That's pretty crazy.

The funny thing about the whole Supernatural situation is that the show has literally called those kind of people out and said that they're being super gross. At one point in the series the main characters learn that someone is writing "fictional" novels about their adventures and that it has a small crazy fanbase. They find out about the incest shipping and go on about how "They know we're brothers, right? That's gross."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

The funny thing about the whole Supernatural situation is that the show has literally called those kind of people out and said that they're being super gross. At one point in the series the main characters learn that someone is writing "fictional" novels about their adventures and that it has a small crazy fanbase. They find out about the incest shipping and go on about how "They know we're brothers, right? That's gross."

And then that dude is hinted to be God so it's literally the in character avatar of the creator saying "yeah you people are kind of crazy".

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Evil Fluffy posted:

D&D wouldn't help. They'd just want to play a Paladin and be a literal white knight. :rolldice:

An overzealous Paladin of Diversity would be a pretty rad character, actually :allears:

e: "Look, the Orcs and the villagers are just going to have to sit down and work out their differences like rational adults. Or I will smite the poo poo out of the lot of them."

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Hodgepodge posted:

An overzealous Paladin of Diversity would be a pretty rad character, actually :allears:

e: "Look, the Orcs and the villagers are just going to have to sit down and work out their differences like rational adults. Or I will smite the poo poo out of the lot of them."

SJWs wouldn't be SJWs if they had the threat of force behind them. They'd be the Taliban.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SJWs wouldn't be SJWs if they had the threat of force behind them. They'd be the Taliban.

I don't follow. :pwn:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Less like the Taliban and more like the Khmer Rouge

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Back in college I had an intestersting dicussion with a company at the Meteorology Career Fair at my University. They were specifically looking into weather control, and it was beyond weather modifcation via cloud seeding. But at least it was from a scientific sense of wanting to research how.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The type of SJW that actually identifies as such often intersects with anti-X extremism, up to and including calling for the death of whatever persons or groups they have deemed to be "the oppressor". This has included cissexual straight men, cis gay men, straight and/or gay people in general, trans people who don't hate cis people, trans people in general (there's a disturbing intersection between SJWs and TERFs), white people who do anything that's not part of "white culture" (which they claim doesn't exist), and anyone who dares to insinuate that their claims of having a flying Jack Russell Terrier headmate and of themselves being a reincarnated Japanese tortoise might be indicative of a mental illness.

They also have a nasty habit of claiming that any bad thing said about them, or anyone they agree with, anywhere is "harassment", even if the negative statements were only said about them, not directed to them, and even if those statements were made on a forum/webpage they don't otherwise read and they had to be told the thread existed to even be aware that someone said something about them.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Right here in the D&D "let's laugh at conspiracy theorists" thread, some goons openly fantasize about the terror of Social Justice Einsatzgruppen.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Desiderata posted:

Right here in the D&D "let's laugh at conspiracy theorists" thread, some goons openly fantasize about the terror of Social Justice Einsatzgruppen.

I take it you never saw the SJW thread where there were literally people saying that if you didn't hate cis people you weren't actually trans, including directing those comments at other trans people? Or that if you were actually trans and didn't agree with "transethnic" or "transspecies" people you were "truscum"? It's a real loving thing, and some of them send as many death/rape threats as the "cishet scum" they hate so much. The term "SJW" has gotten intrinsically linked with the screaming idiotic masses who co-opt actual oppressed minority struggles to try to validate their feelings of persecution whenever someone says "no, 'demiromantic' is a loving truism and not a special snowflake speck on the Kinsey scale".

Actually, that's where poo poo gets funny - both sides of things like "Quinnspiracy" are practically Truthers. "Those posts were a false flag attack by feminazis" versus "Any outside question as to the validity of any evidence of harassment is automatically proof that the evidence is true because no one covers up the fake things".

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 5, 2014

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

quinnspiracy dudes are basically a nerdier microcosm of regular conspiracy theorists. a regular conspiracy theorist sees late capitalism being horrible, opaque, antidemocratic and unequal and blames the jews or illuminati or obama or the lizard people or whatever. #gamergaters see the the gaming industry making lovely videogames and deliberately misleading consumers and blame women, bloggers and self-indulgent indie developers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

transethnic
transspecies
truscum
cishet
demiromantic

Someone needs to update the SAclopedia, I have no idea what's going on here.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Someone needs to update the SAclopedia, I have no idea what's going on here.

I've seen most of those particular ones reading the old tumblr thread in PYF, but really there's no point trying to catalogue them. There are like 10,000 of them and they're always making up new terms the second more than two people label themselves as something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I take it you never saw the SJW thread where there were literally people saying that if you didn't hate cis people you weren't actually trans, including directing those comments at other trans people? Or that if you were actually trans and didn't agree with "transethnic" or "transspecies" people you were "truscum"? It's a real loving thing, and some of them send as many death/rape threats as the "cishet scum" they hate so much. The term "SJW" has gotten intrinsically linked with the screaming idiotic masses who co-opt actual oppressed minority struggles to try to validate their feelings of persecution whenever someone says "no, 'demiromantic' is a loving truism and not a special snowflake speck on the Kinsey scale".
So are you painting everyone who believes in "social justice" with the SJW label? Because a small number of insane people on the Internet don't mean much. Has a transethnic otherkin gang actually clubbed anybody to death yet?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Actually, that's where poo poo gets funny - both sides of things like "Quinnspiracy" are practically Truthers. "Those posts were a false flag attack by feminazis" versus "Any outside question as to the validity of any evidence of harassment is automatically proof that the evidence is true because no one covers up the fake things".

The people who lovingly harbor these nutso examples are the problem (you). It's no different than if people tried to conflate every form of activism with the people who create websites about the secret FEMA genocide relocation codes on the back of road signs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Half of the terms you listed have already died out everywhere but parody blogs that idiots like you still think are real, because basically all of them are fad terms that people use for about a year or two before they move on to something else.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SedanChair posted:

The people who lovingly harbor these nutso examples are the problem (you). It's no different than if people tried to conflate every form of activism with the people who create websites about the secret FEMA genocide relocation codes on the back of road signs.

Whoa man you cracked the code :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Half of the terms you listed have already died out everywhere but parody blogs that idiots like you still think are real, because basically all of them are fad terms that people use for about a year or two before they move on to something else.

How is anyone an idiot for not staying updated on ever in flux anime justice crusade terminology. It sounds like poo poo a ten year old would invent. The words are fads and how dare we not be informed ? gently caress you.

• Locked thread