Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deviant posted:

Isn't this just a less good Entreat the Angels, in black?

Entreat doesn't let you scream "LET'S OPEN THIS PIT UP" when you windmill slam it.

So this is strictly better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Last week I played a game with my GB Dredge deck where I had a decent board state with a decent amount of creatures in the yard, but like 12 lands in there and nothing to do with them.

With delve and in the decks that need it, this card is quite good.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

Are people just missing that this card has Delve?

I think the people saying this card is poo poo are the ones who have never used tombstalker in a constructed deck before.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, guys, while I understand Empty of the Pits isn't as exciting as hoped for, you're all looking at the card one dimensionally. This is in Standard with Nykthos. Depending on how many graveyard enablers we get and how good they are (and we already have quite a few), this card can be powered up in a variety of ways. It's not going to have the raw power of, say, a green card, but it's going to give you more than enough to win or threaten a win at varying points in the game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Seriously people, stop undervaluing delve. You can remove 10 cards to get 5 2/2s for BBBB at instant speed. That's really good. Tombstalker is 8mana for a 5/5 flier and its heavily played in legacy.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zorak posted:

You're reaaaaally undervaluing Delve. Getting a ton of poo poo into your GY is easy.

Yeah, when we have cards like Satyr Wayfinder and Commune with the Gods plus whatever Delve Enablers are in Khans that card is potentially very powerful. The mana is difficult, but we have fetches and scrylands and painlands and manaconfluence, it can easily be done if a deck wants it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

Isn't this just a less good Entreat the Angels, in black?

Entreat is almost unplayable without deck manipulation soooo.

Anyway like, BBBB for 5 2/2's (10 cards in the bin) seems pretty solid. 2BBBB for 3 zombos (4 cards delved) seems fair if not great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Satyr Wayfinder let's you put a non basic land into your hand, correct? Are there any other cards that do that in standard?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Samael posted:

I think the people saying this card is poo poo are the ones who have never used tombstalker in a constructed deck before.

I don't think that is a fair assessment, tombstalker seems clearly awesome from the moment you look at it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Lord Of Texas posted:

Are people just missing that this card has Delve?

The math is just kind of ugly since Delve is not convoke. At minimum, you are paying BBBB, so unless you have a deep graveyard to throw away, which is unlikely on turn 4, it looks like 4 mana and 2 cards in the yard for a 2/2 with flash 4 mana and 4 cards (best mulch and satyr wayfinder) for 2 2/2s with flash etc.

Spending any mana beyond the first 4 Black makes the card feel so bad.

Then it folds to wrath and makes any other delve cards in your deck awful, and if it gets countered, the delved creatures are part of the casting cost so they're gone.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gensuki posted:

So you pay 4 black mana, then exile 2 cards from your graveyard to get a 2/2 zombie?

Let's say you exile your whole grave to this, maybe late game, it's gone long, and you used a few self mill cards... 20 cards from the grave? You also spend 8 mana on the colorless cost.

That's 12 mana and you not using any other delve cards ever, in order to make 14 zombies? Based on what we've already seen, constructed has better things to do with 12 mana turn 25 (yeah right...) and this is way too costly for limited.

**OH! It's an instant. Yeah, that's maybe cool then.

On the other hand, in edh I can go "Oh. you just wrathed. end of your turn, pay BBBB, exile 16 cards, have 16 power of giys attacking."

More if my commander has buffs for Zombies.

It's nice, but not amazing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Satyr Wayfinder let's you put a non basic land into your hand, correct? Are there any other cards that do that in standard?

Satyr Wayfinder lets you grab any land not just basics from among the revealed cards. You play him once and grab a fetchland, and crack the fetch, you've just added 2 zombies to your Empty the Pits

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This looks clearly awesome to me? It's a very powerful effect that's well supported in standard. The instant is what drives it for me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not that great so far so I can understand why!

Look at this wrong opinion, everyone. Look at it.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
You guys are really underestimating how many cards can be put into the yard early in the game through Commune, Kruphix's Insight, Satyr Wayfinder and Nyx Weavers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ungulateman posted:

Battlefield Thaumaturge keeps looking better and better...
edit: I'm an idiot and can't read. Cool card though!

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 5, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Whoa glad I reread the card I assumed it was a sorcery from the effect itself. Seems a bit better. I guess we'll just have to see how it pans out as a monoblack finisher.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Sickening posted:

I don't think that is a fair assessment, tombstalker seems clearly awesome from the moment you look at it.

Yeah, you are right but making it delve really improves it's playability.BUG has a lot of graveyard synergistic and self mill cards now (Kruphix's Insight, commune of the gods, sidisi to name a few) and with nighthowler and pharika still in rotation I can see it being a really strong golgari/BUG deck with old friends caryatid/courser plus maybe new jace/fetches.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Basically I'm reading this card as: 4 Black Instant, "Exile X cards. For every 2 cards you exile this way, put a Black 2/2 Zombie token onto the battlefield tapped."

And suddenly, it seems a lot better.

I kind of want one for my Nekusar deck just because without Reliquary Tower, I'm gonna be discarding a lot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's VERY easy to get stuff into your yard. GB Yard is going to be a deck.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The biggest downside to this is running into a wrath, but since it's an instant it dodges the sorcery-speed wrath effects. EOT make 8 zombies, untap, swing on you for 16+.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
No Temur legend today? :sigh: They keep doing this thing where they'll spoil four out of five of a cycle I'm looking forward to in the first 2-3 days of spoiler season, and then make me wait a week for the last one.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's VERY easy to get stuff into your yard. GB Yard is going to be a deck.

Why did everyone suddenly forget that the set has fetches in it? Any color combo will be able to get cards in the yard early and fast.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TheKingofSprings posted:

For Delve to actually be good it really, really needs a reliable way to retrieve a card from the graveyard.

I really hope we get that. :sigh:

Someone mentioned it in passing, but Nyx Weaver feels crucial in the archetype.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The biggest downside to this is running into a wrath, but since it's an instant it dodges the sorcery-speed wrath effects. EOT make 8 zombies, untap, swing on you for 16+.
Exactly. You can't just beat this card by having a wrath effect or a removal spell. This puts it way above most threats.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Then it folds to wrath and makes any other delve cards in your deck awful, and if it gets countered, the delved creatures are part of the casting cost so they're gone.

The wraths in this upcoming format cost 5 so far and then you're still one-for-oneing against them. Seems pretty reasonable.

Count Bleck posted:

Basically I'm reading this card as: 4 Black Instant, "Exile X cards. For every 2 cards you exile this way, put a Black 2/2 Zombie token onto the battlefield tapped."

And suddenly, it seems a lot better.

Yes, but you also have the option to pay mana if your graveyard's been emptied, so the card is never dead.

The main thing that makes delve cards kind of awkward compared to lingering souls or unburial rites is they don't directly interplay with being milled out themselves and do theoretically compete with each other for resources, so some number tweaking on making sure you min/max the effect of your delve cards is probably necessary. Since draw steps are necessary to put delve spells into your hand, you'll still need to run a critical number of actual delve cards. It might also be worth nothing that logic knot and tombstalker get played in lists that don't go out of their way to bin cards, but those cards are at a pretty high power level already. It's a mechanic with some depth, for sure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

Someone mentioned it in passing, but Nyx Weaver feels crucial in the archetype.

I'm not a huge fan of Nyx Weaver, it's pretty slow without much to show for it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
They editing the article right now or something?

quote:

Creating ten tokens takes twenty-four mana. It may seem like an impossible feat, but I can tell you that it isn't. There are more than enough ways in Khans of Tarkir to get some cards in your graveyard, and since there will no longer be an

This paragraph just cuts off.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

WHO DELVED THE END OF THE ARTICLE?! WHO WAS IT?

Guess its gone forever and is now at least 3 2/2 zombies.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

The wraths in this upcoming format cost 5 so far and then you're still one-for-oneing against them. Seems pretty reasonable.

Yes, but you also have the option to pay mana if your graveyard's been emptied, so the card is never dead.

The main thing that makes delve cards kind of awkward compared to lingering souls or unburial rites is they don't directly interplay with being milled out themselves and do theoretically compete with each other for resources, so some number tweaking on making sure you min/max the effect of your delve cards is probably necessary. Since draw steps are necessary to put delve spells into your hand, you'll still need to run a critical number of actual delve cards. It might also be worth nothing that logic knot and tombstalker get played in lists that don't go out of their way to bin cards, but those cards are at a pretty high power level already. It's a mechanic with some depth, for sure.

Yeah, a base black control deck can definitely get a ton of mileage out of this card just by trading resources, fetches, sign in blood, Bile Blight, Thoughtseize, Read the Bones, Hero's Downfall, all these can go in the same deck, to quite good effect. A mono black control deck, akin to Mono Black Devotion Lists we have seen previously, can easily get enough cards in the yard over the course of the game to make Empty the Pits a powerful card. That deck COULD have a reason to run fetches even with a entirely black card pool to help feed the delve.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zombies confirm another year of MBC domination. Yay! Meanwhile We goons still think UW revelation was worse.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, a base black control deck can definitely get a ton of mileage out of this card just by trading resources, fetches, sign in blood, Bile Blight, Thoughtseize, Read the Bones, Hero's Downfall, all these can go in the same deck, to quite good effect. A mono black control deck, akin to Mono Black Devotion Lists we have seen previously, can easily get enough cards in the yard over the course of the game to make Empty the Pits a powerful card. That deck COULD have a reason to run fetches even with a entirely black card pool to help feed the delve.

Phenax self-mill into Pit into Phenax opponent-mill :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I like when they actually give the Johnny cards a reasonable mana cost to throw them a bone.

e: does this stack in multiples? The replacement-effect wording makes it weird to figure out how that works, but I think it does.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The remaining Tri-lands:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Dan, guess I held on to my misty rainforest a month too long

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Mostly, but this is an instant.

So is Entreat the Angels (in the one deck that actually runs it).

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

Again, this basically requires this to be your only Delve card. Otherwise, it's not a 1 for 1, because the wrath essentially becomes land destruction.

Spending nearly any amount of mana on this is wrong. 6 mana for a 2/2 with flash? 8 mana for a tricky 4/4 with flash? That gets you Colossus of Akros, and at the next stage (10 mana for a 6/6 with flash) would be the equivalent of letting you monstrous it. There are better things to do with mana in standard, and certainly in modern. And of course, this is way too big to be good in limited. This really needs to be paid in corpses to be a good card.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The more I think about Empty the Pits the more shivers go up my spine. This card is nuts and awesome. Star City isn't taking preorders on it but if it preorders at any reasonable price I'm going to pick up a playset. If you're playing against a black/green self-mill player with 15-18 cards in their yard on Turn 4-5 and they have this, you must be holding an Aetherspouts or something like Thaumaturge + Glimpse/Icy Blast or you lose on the spot.

L0cke17 posted:

So is Entreat the Angels (in the one deck that actually runs it).

Given that that entire deck's shtick is setting up Entreat the Angels and it devotes lots of card slots to doing so, I would say that yes, Entreat is better in that deck. Empty the Pits probably won't be a Legacy role-player. Notably, Miracles also is able to run Terminus, and in the absence of that card I would argue that setting up the miracle engine is a little too clunky for Legacy-- having that kind of protection from creature-based strategies while you set up for a game-ending Entreat is essential.

While in Standard, Empty the Pits is going to be way, way, way better than Entreat the Angels. I can even visualize a Legacy deck that uses self-mill to set up a huge one, but since you'd need to dread return a Flame-kin Zealot and have an Amulet of Vigor out it's probably not better than what Dredge and Burrito are already doing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That seems abusable in EDH. Very abusable.

• Locked thread