Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm actualy shocked the Adam West Batman is getting a release at all. I would think, even with all the rights issues sorted out, DC Editorial would fight to not have it released because "That's not who Batman is anymore"
That's because nostalgia is a huge moneymaker right now and both Boomers and Gen X-ers have an appreciation for the campy series--genuine, ironic, or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Y'all like podcasts?

Well the Cinema Swirl podcast is great and it's only three episodes deep. Hosted by Kefin Mahon of Attitude Era Podcast fame it features a guy called Sam Chaplin who despite all logic and reason hasn't seen any films. Like none. At the start of this he hasn't seen Star Wars, Ghost Busters, Back to the Future or any of the other films that make up a huge scope of the popular culture world. So every podcast they sit down, discuss what Sam Chaplin thinks the movie is about before hand and then they watch the film and talk about it afterwards. It gives you a view of film from a man who doesn't have rose tinted glasses over some of the films we all saw as children or younger.

It's very good and I highly recommend it. Also check out the Attitude Era Podcast which is also great.

https://soundcloud.com/cinemaswirl

https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Attitude Era podcast is really really really good and I recommend everyone checks it out if you're even a teensy bit interested in wrestling. They break it down really well for beginners.

MAKE SOME NOISE

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Attitude Era podcast is really really really good and I recommend everyone checks it out if you're even a teensy bit interested in wrestling. They break it down really well for beginners.

MAKE SOME NOISE

Just for round the house, like.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If you are talking about Attitude Era, you gotta mention the whole trifecta. OSW Review did the entire Hulk Hogan era and are now doing separate wrestling story lines (David Arquette in WCW, a brief history of ECW). They are fantastic and it's in video format. The New Generation Project Podcast handles the New Generation in WWE, an awkward period between the awesome Hogan era and the awesome Attitude Era. These guys aren't getting enough love.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just for round the house, like.

They have the worst HHH impression ever and it will never stop being hilarious. "Basically, I think I should be king!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Liar Lyre posted:

If you are talking about Attitude Era, you gotta mention the whole trifecta. OSW Review did the entire Hulk Hogan era and are now doing separate wrestling story lines (David Arquette in WCW, a brief history of ECW). They are fantastic and it's in video format. The New Generation Project Podcast handles the New Generation in WWE, an awkward period between the awesome Hogan era and the awesome Attitude Era. These guys aren't getting enough love.

Yea pretty much, AE, OSW, and New Generation are the perfect weird unintentional symbiotic trinity for different chunks of classic wrestling, different perspectives, and all entertaining genuine fans talking about it. Even if you're not a big wrestling nerd they're worth a listen.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Literally no one knows he's a 'wife beater' except people who read the comics and know that arc is ancient and will probably have nothing to do with the movie, and people who read a Cracked "SEVEN DARK TURNS IN COMIC BOOKS" type article. I'd say Pym is as much known as Rocket Raccoon.

Not that I'm a huge reader of Ant-Man or anything, but isn't the trait of him being an abusive prick of a husband, be it physical or emotional, a trait that has carried on through the different Hank Pym iterations as a consistent character trait? Hell, the movie Ultimate Avengers, from the ancient time of 2006, was going to include a scene of Pym smacking his wife. Some executive got scared and had that cut. But you can absolutely see where it was supposed to be, and he's emotionally and verbally abusive as poo poo the whole movie even without that one moment.

No, this side of his character probably won't be in the movie. I expect the fact that Hank Pym is a fairly unlikeable, wife beating rear end in a top hat is a big part of why the movie will focus on the Scott Lang version of the character instead.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

cubs2084 posted:

Not that I'm a huge reader of Ant-Man or anything, but isn't the trait of him being an abusive prick of a husband, be it physical or emotional, a trait that has carried on through the different Hank Pym iterations as a consistent character trait? Hell, the movie Ultimate Avengers, from the ancient time of 2006, was going to include a scene of Pym smacking his wife. Some executive got scared and had that cut. But you can absolutely see where it was supposed to be, and he's emotionally and verbally abusive as poo poo the whole movie even without that one moment.

No, this side of his character probably won't be in the movie. I expect the fact that Hank Pym is a fairly unlikeable, wife beating rear end in a top hat is a big part of why the movie will focus on the Scott Lang version of the character instead.

Reed Richards was probably a more consistent, if not bigger, abuser. But because he's an A-list Marvel character, he can get away with that. Pym's a D-lister, so his character will never live it down.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Benny the Snake posted:

Reed Richards was probably a more consistent, if not bigger, abuser. But because he's an A-list Marvel character, he can get away with that. Pym's a D-lister, so his character will never live it down.

That's pretty much it. Peter has hit Mary Jane in the comics as often as Hank has hit Janet, and Reed has emotionally abused Susan way more often than Hank has emotionally abused Janet, but Hank isn't popular enough for people to treat these things as bad old writing worth ignoring.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Idran posted:

That's pretty much it. Peter has hit Mary Jane in the comics as often as Hank has hit Janet, and Reed has emotionally abused Susan way more often than Hank has emotionally abused Janet, but Hank isn't popular enough for people to treat these things as bad old writing worth ignoring.

Well, I guess his list of other accomplishments include talking to ants, making things bigger and smaller, creating a homicidal Avengers robo-Nemisis, helping create a horrible alternate dimension space prison that makes inmates crazy, always having to sit at the kids table of Marvel smart guys, and occasionally becoming a villain.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Gyges posted:

Well, I guess his list of other accomplishments include talking to ants, making things bigger and smaller, creating a homicidal Avengers robo-Nemisis, helping create a horrible alternate dimension space prison that makes inmates crazy, always having to sit at the kids table of Marvel smart guys, and occasionally becoming a villain.

I think you aren't that off actually, Hank Pym simply didn't have anything else interesting about him, personality wise.

That actually true for a lot of superheroes prior to the bronze age. E.g. most of Batman's characterization comes is actually pretty recent, same with Superman.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Yeah, it's a shame really. Pym's a really fun character when written well since he's a very conflicted character, often veering into anti-hero or villain territory due to his ego.

I'd love to see a movie capture that about the character, but Disney seems to like having the heroes and villains being more clear cut.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
About the attitude era podcast, it is a good show and it have 2 great points. one of them being billy who never seen that era of wrestling before and only knows about mid 2000's and he will say if a part is bullshit when everyone loves them. the 2nd is there will call out the sexist garbage that is going on during that era like girls wrestling in gravy and a storyline involved miscarriage.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
People fondly remember the Attitude era for a lot of amazing stuff because it did have some absolutely incredible stuff including perhaps the best Wrestlemania ever and Foley giving us 3 of the best matches in wrestling history but there was a looooooooooooooooot of awful poo poo in there that people forget. The female stable called PMS, the miscarriage angle, Mae Young giving birth to a hand, the loving horrendous UK shows, the really uncomfortable and racist DX Nation parody, New Age Outlaws being really bad most of the time, an angle involving a real life alcoholic being portrayed as a fat loser who gets murdered by a team mate, British Bulldog being awful and a ton of other poo poo.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Idran posted:

You know, that is entirely fair. Reed Richards never gets the credit for being an rear end in a top hat like Pym does for sure.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Reed didn't get public notice of being an rear end in a top hat until Civil War, but that's probably true of a lot of heroes during that awful run.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So does Moviebob also have a grudge against young adult fiction? That "community" gag was loving annoying. I didn't see the movie, but his attitude towards the film felt kinda troper-ish, as if he resented having this book as required reading in school and now he harbors a grudge against it, and maybe even YA lit in general. Bob's definitely the troper type.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 6, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Benny the Snake posted:

So does Moviebob also have a grudge against young adult fiction? That "community" gag was loving annoying. I didn't see the movie, but his attitude towards the film felt kinda troper-ish, as if he resented having this book as required reading in school and now he harbors a grudge against it, and maybe even YA lit in general. Bob's definitely the troper type.

That's Bob for you. If he has a personal stake ina matter, he can be pretty sanctimonious.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 5, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Note to all Internet producers: do not, repeat, do not do a gag where you repeatedly play the same audio/video clip over and over to make the same joke a billion times in a row. It makes your video unbelievably annoying to watch.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Note to all Internet producers: do not, repeat, do not do a gag where you repeatedly play the same audio/video clip over and over to make the same joke a billion times in a row. It makes your video unbelievably annoying to watch.

Your knowledge of the land shall be great.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

StealthArcher posted:

Your knowledge of the land shall be great.

I think that kind of works because Spoony was making a point about the game's writing. Bob's joke only had to be done once.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

I think that kind of works because Spoony was making a point about the game's writing. Bob's joke only had to be done once.

Ultima IX is actually the worst offender of all since he does several variations on that joke and sometimes they loving chain into each other so large sections of the video are

What's a Paladin? I'm not entirely sure. Your knowledge of the land shall be great
What's a Paladin? I'm not entirely sure. Your knowledge of the land shall be great

It's terrible.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

While I was watching that video, once Moviebob did the third "COMMUNITY" joke I literally said "Okay, you can stop that now" out loud.

I normally like his stuff but that got loving atrocious.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Slate Action posted:

Ultima IX is actually the worst offender of all since he does several variations on that joke and sometimes they loving chain into each other so large sections of the video are

It's terrible.

I thought it was funny that it ramped up as he got more exasperated. He did probably milk it a little too much, but overall I thought the running gag worked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alacron posted:

While I was watching that video, once Moviebob did the third "COMMUNITY" joke I literally said "Okay, you can stop that now" out loud.

I normally like his stuff but that got loving atrocious.

Agreed. Once it sunk in that he was being lazy as gently caress and going for broke with the gag I just shut the review off. Dude isn't a great reviewer but he's marginally better than that.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah when Spoony did that gag in Ultima IX it didn't bother me because it sufficiently underlined just how lackluster the game was in all areas.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Slate Action posted:

There was a guy who made videos mocking the Irate Gamer who became unwatchable because of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mind the walrus posted:

Agreed. Once it sunk in that he was being lazy as gently caress and going for broke with the gag I just shut the review off. Dude isn't a great reviewer but he's marginally better than that.

Yeah when Spoony did that gag in Ultima IX it didn't bother me because it sufficiently underlined just how lackluster the game was in all areas.

Yeah, those weren't really running a gag into the ground because "hey this is funny, let's run it again! :v:" and more just underlining the point of how outrageously bad it was.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'd say MovieBob's stance on this movie is sort to match how overly defensive Lindsey was of Ender's Game during the "OSC was kinda hosed up, wasn't he" ordeal. "If you guys don't watch this movie, Hollywood will never consider YA to be considered to be movie material and you'll starve everyone involved!!".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

I'd say MovieBob's stance on this movie is sort to match how overly defensive Lindsey was of Ender's Game during the "OSC was kinda hosed up, wasn't he" ordeal. "If you guys don't watch this movie, Hollywood will never consider YA to be considered to be movie material and you'll starve everyone involved!!".

Wait did she actually say that?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait did she actually say that?

She did a video basically talking about how OSC is a person with really hosed up views but that she liked him as a scifi author.

She compared EG to Chik-Fil-A (where the company owners are extremely religiously right and funnel a lot of profits into anti-gay groups.) People are going to eat there and people will read/watch OSC books/movies without knowing his politics. She enjoys the products of both despite hating their politics and regretting supporting them.

So, no, she didn't actually say that.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 6, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lindsey seems cool.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

She did a video basically talking about how OSC is a person with really hosed up views but that she liked him as a scifi author.

She compared EG to Chik-Fil-A (where the company owners are extremely religiously right and funnel a lot of profits into anti-gay groups.) People are going to eat there and people will read/watch OSC books/movies without knowing his politics. She enjoys the products of both despite hating their politics and regretting supporting them.

So, no, she didn't actually say that.

So she took a much more reasonable stance of 'yea he's poo poo but I liked his books and most people going to ED probably don't know he really really hated gay people' instead of 'we have to see it or all YA fiction is doomed'. I can see how those are easy to switch around I guess!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So she took a much more reasonable stance of 'yea he's poo poo but I liked his books and most people going to ED probably don't know he really really hated gay people' instead of 'we have to see it or all YA fiction is doomed'. I can see how those are easy to switch around I guess!

Of course. It's Lindsey Ellis we're talking about here. She's definitely not an idiot or extremist from the stuff she posts. There's all those jokes about art majors, but she definitely is well informed.

EDIT: \/ She does have a point. OSC's already got his money from it even if the movie bombed (which it did.) Seeing it or not wasn't really supporting him.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 6, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I kind of tied it that with stuff she said on twitter/tumblr a bit after she released the video, regarding the boycotting of the movie, where she stated that less people watching the movie would be interpreted by Hollywood as "YA is an unpopular genre" rather than "Please don't give money to OSC" and that we'd be screwing over the rest of the staff that worked on the movie if the movie flopped. Part of what I stated was mentioned on this written piece on Chez Apocalypse.

quote:

What you, the viewer, do with your time and money is your business. But I just can’t get on board with this boycott, and to be honest the whole thing feels just a tad myopic, like Card is the only element at play here. Yes, be vocal about your disappointment in the things he says and his approach to political issues. Yes, make your discontent heard. But Card’s involvement with this project begins and ends with the source material- this is a movie, and it is made by a wholly different set of people. I get where the boycott comes from, obviously, but I can’t help but feel like people are focusing on this property because it’s big in the popular consciousness right now, not because the film itself is particularly relevant to LGBT issues. It’s not. The book certainly isn’t, not unless you stretch. It’s only the things the author said outside of his work, and his work isn’t even in his hands anymore.

With film, there is a lot on the line with individual properties. Every big film is a potential canary in the coal mine. To Hollywood, the failure of Ender’s Game would be a sign that this kind of movie doesn’t sell, not the book’s author turns audiences off. But a hit with Ender won’t only be a boon to the careers of active participants like Steinfeld, Breslin, Hood, Butterfield or Harrison Ford (who is finally playing a character appropriate for his age), but could pave the way for adaptations of other military sci-fi like the works of David Weber, Lois MacMaster Bujold or John Scalzi.

And this, my friends, outweighs the smug satisfaction of showing one bigot the what’s what by denying him my $13.50.

She's sometimes kind of a dweeb!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 6, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
That's what makes Lindsay a much better critic than Bob. Lindsay detached herself from her like of "Ender's Game" to recognize that Orson Scott Card is an irredeemable person and used Chick-Fil-A as a metaphor. Bob, however, didn't detach himself from his biases when he reviewed "The Giver" adaptation. He has a clear bias against YA lit--watch his review of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" where he wondered aloud "Why aren't there any sexy goth-chicks having lots of sex in Hogwarts?" (I'm not kidding)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgbB9ORqRg&t=846s

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Wish someone had the song credits for that, even if it's probably some public domain track.

Benny the Snake posted:

That's what makes Lindsay a much better critic than Bob. Lindsay detached herself from her like of "Ender's Game" to recognize that Orson Scott Card is an irredeemable person and used Chick-Fil-A as a metaphor.[/url]

And went instead to claiming that not supporting the movie would mean Hollywood would give up on the YA genre and that we'd be screwing over the rest of the cast, as stated on the article she posted a bit afterwards on her site as a companion piece / followup that I linked a few posts back. That's not much of an improvement.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 6, 2014

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’ve got a new Cheapskate Review out. In this episode, I dig through the old-time radio shows available on the Internet Archive and make seven recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's going to take more than a few more bombs in the YA genre before the studios turn their back on their Twilight Dreams. Though Lindsay is correct that the YA genre is drifting toward modern Western territory. I'd support her in this, but I generally find YA fiction a tedious invention created to grab sack fulls of cash from parents who think their children just aren't ready lo leave the literary kiddy pool. I'm sure there are gems in there, but I can't think of them.

• Locked thread