Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Howard will spend 45 minutes talking about how horrible the news hit him and how his day was ruined because he had to call Gary to start re-booking things. He'll end with, "...but I feel sorry for Melissa. Wish her the best. Anyway Robin..."

Also Beth will adopt two new cats named Joan and Rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RIP Joan. David Brenner, Robin Williams, and Joan Rivers in one year. Tough time for comedy.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Sorry to keep talking about podcasts, but with the huge gaps in programming it seems almost necessary. Other than Gilbert Gottfried and Adam Carolla, are there any other live podcasts (read: not Artie Lange) that might appeal to the Stern Show crowd?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Finndo posted:

Sorry to keep talking about podcasts, but with the huge gaps in programming it seems almost necessary. Other than Gilbert Gottfried and Adam Carolla, are there any other live podcasts (read: not Artie Lange) that might appeal to the Stern Show crowd?

I fill the gaps with Carrolla era loveline episodes myself. They are somehow hypnotically entertaining to me.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I listen to old Stern shows.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bill Burr and Jay Mohr's podcasts are pretty good.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Meh I must be one of the few people here who could really give a gently caress about Joan Rivers. A "legend" of comedy who spent her last years screaming about what celebrities were wearing. I'm sure the world will somehow manage to go on.

Also hopefully her death means her daughter will no longer be able to get any work whatsoever in Hollywood.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

haljordan posted:

Meh I must be one of the few people here who could really give a gently caress about Joan Rivers. A "legend" of comedy who spent her last years screaming about what celebrities were wearing. I'm sure the world will somehow manage to go on.

Also hopefully her death means her daughter will no longer be able to get any work whatsoever in Hollywood.

She was a pioneer as a female comedian and had a career that spanned what, 50 years?

You can hate her daughter or her late work but cmon, "legend"?

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 5, 2014

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

She was a pioneer as a female comedian and had a career that spanned what, 50 years?

You can hate her daughter or her late work but cmon, "legend"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxKRj9DRnc

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Sadly, I've become hooked on The Bone (Tampa FM talk radio). Bubba got fired so the Cowhead Show is in the am drive, Shannon Burke in the middday. And they have an app to listen as well. Afternoons I will check out old Stern shows on demand.

Stern hasn't been on for what, 2-3 weeks now?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I Baba Booey'd the live CBS feed from the memorial at the Joan Rivers star on Hollywood Blvd.

The flip-flop beclad legs are of the newscaster woman, so maybe it'll make the show

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jealous. Bababooeying a live broadcast is still on my bucket list.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I was just walking to the Roosevelt for some post-work drinks, saw the gathering on the sidewalk ahead of me and then on the impulse realized my chance and went for it when I saw they were filming live.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

kylej posted:

RIP Joan. David Brenner, Robin Williams, and Joan Rivers in one year. Tough time for comedy.

Don Rickles is probably next :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

beep by grandpa posted:

Bill Burr and Jay Mohr's podcasts are pretty good.

I'm a big fan of Doug Stanhope's podcast.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Finndo posted:

I know it won't be for everybody in here, but I really like Uhh Yeah Dude. It's like Robin's news done by two younger dudes who aren't completely out of touch with the world. There's some good clips in this OP that'll give you a sense of the show's style. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438784

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Marc Maron's WTF podcast isn't bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

haljordan posted:

she used to host the Tonight show back when TV was important to people.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How did she fall out of favour with Carson?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Odddzy posted:

How did she fall out of favour with Carson?

By getting her own talk show. Carson saw it as betrayal and competition. Because on some level Carson was an rear end in a top hat.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Indolent Bastard posted:

By getting her own talk show. Carson saw it as betrayal and competition. Because on some level Carson was an rear end in a top hat.

Interesting, it's funny how some Hollywood egos are so fragile.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Indolent Bastard posted:

"On some level"? I'm pretty sure Carson was an rear end in a top hat on all levels.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Brocktoon posted:

"On some level"? I'm pretty sure Carson was an rear end in a top hat on all levels.

He was kind to some and cruel to others, he wasn't evil to the core, just tough to get to know and like (as I understand it).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

She claims that NBC had not approached her with a new contract and Fox showed up with one plus, her husband was going to be the producer. Carson heard this from Fox and not her personally and took offense. Years later she went on to say that she thinks Carson may have had a thing for her and that her leaving hurt him.

Her show though lasted about a year because Fox wanted to replace her husband and they both quit. He killed himself shortly after.

The Fox late show eventually became the Arsinio Hall show.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Brocktoon posted:

He was. Carson was much like Howard is. He would kiss the rear end of people who were above him in the Hollywood food chain but those who worked for him or he felt "owed" him for their career he treated like garbage. He treated comics especially badly. Hell, most people who worked for Carson still won't really be honest about the treatment because they are still scared of him.

The poo poo he pulled with Joan is really legendary and well known. I don't think Joan ever truly recovered between the 1-2 punch of the Carson blacklist and Edgar committing suicide. I got to give her a lot of credit for never really giving a poo poo about the politics and working her rear end off forever. Pretty much every female comedian owes her for being the first to really break through in which was always a male only profession. Her career in the last decade or so has been pretty sad but go back and watch her in the 70s and 80s. You will understand why she was so well regarded.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Djarum posted:

Hell, most people who worked for Carson still won't really be honest about the treatment because they are still scared of him.

Yep. Her ban on the Tonight Show lasted through all of Leno and the short time Conan had it.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Howard always rants about how Carson would only let comics who killed come sit on the couch. Then one day Howard was doing his Rae Stern, and she (in his voice) did the identical rant to Howard. It was a bit of a Tony Perkins moment... She is way deep in his head.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I remember watching a very touching youtube video where Mr. Rogers would sing to her while she was hosting the tonight show. She seemed incredibly touched and it was such a nice moment.

Him singing about liking her, not because of her jokes and her hair (which was the stuff she had to keep up with to maintain her career) was such a nice human thing to sing about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Kp5YeqrlE

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

haljordan posted:

I don't think we're seeing the ridiculously revisionist hyperbolic fandom we saw when Robin Williams died, but maybe that's because the people who knew of and appreciated Joan are older and have more perspective than the kids who look back fondly on Flubber. I will say, though, that Joan was an incredibly funny woman who never got soft like so many comedians do once they reach a certain age and level of financial security. Also, as someone who sees the inevitable march of time before him, I appreciate the fact that an 80 year-old can still be as funny, sharp and active as people half her age. We should all be so lucky.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Carson was a wife beating drunk who disowned his son for having a child with a black woman.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 5, 2014

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

a cop posted:

Jealous. Bababooeying a live broadcast is still on my bucket list.

I pulled it off once in front of a bunch of friends. One was a huge fan and loved it but everyone else just thought I was a moron.

The thing that irritates me most about Joan Rivers dying are all these blogs and jerkoffs on twitter anointing her to sainthood. Meanwhile, any random person who tweets what would be a perfect Joan Rivers joke (like the one "On a plane to Africa, hope I don't get Aids") becomes victim to the internet fake outrage mob mentality and practically has their life ruined.

This is not a dig at Joan Rivers, just an observation. It is going to happen again when Don Rickles dies. There will never be any other comedians like them because the rush to win the outrage war would destroy anyone who tries to pull off 1/10th of the jokes they did. Too many people wake up every morning looking for something to be offended by to allow another Joan Rivers to exist.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

I pulled it off once in front of a bunch of friends. One was a huge fan and loved it but everyone else just thought I was a moron.

The thing that irritates me most about Joan Rivers dying are all these blogs and jerkoffs on twitter anointing her to sainthood. Meanwhile, any random person who tweets what would be a perfect Joan Rivers joke (like the one "On a plane to Africa, hope I don't get Aids") becomes victim to the internet fake outrage mob mentality and practically has their life ruined.

This is not a dig at Joan Rivers, just an observation. It is going to happen again when Don Rickles dies. There will never be any other comedians like them because the rush to win the outrage war would destroy anyone who tries to pull off 1/10th of the jokes they did. Too many people wake up every morning looking for something to be offended by to allow another Joan Rivers to exist.

Thank you for giving me an excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKs1ad5DKy8

"Everyone line up, don't be dummies."

edit: It's also a lot easier to have your life ruined when you're not famous and filthy rich.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is there a supercut of Joan Rivers storming out of interviews/having her mic cut from interviews yet? That poo poo was awesome.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Is it bad that whenever I see this thread has a dozen new unread posts, I instinctively think Artie dropped dead?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Howard stern is a human being. Carson was a loving replicant lizzord.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Djarum posted:

Hell, most people who worked for Carson still won't really be honest about the treatment because they are still scared of him.

Even though he's been dead for, like, ten years?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ribsauce posted:

What's great is that though the internet noise machine targeted Joan repeatedly, she just ignored it or doubled down. For instance, both Joan and Howard called Lena Dunham fat and ugly (which, for what its worth, is an objectively accurate description); both took poo poo for it, but where Howard was on his hands and knees apologizing to Lena for making a joke in the year 2012, Joan responded with

quote:

"I think the thing we love about her is that she doesn't give a s--t," Stern -- who once apologized for calling Dunham "a little fat chick" -- responded.

"But that's wrong," Rivers said. "You are sending a message out to people saying, 'It's okay. Stay fat. Get diabetes. Everybody die, lose your fingers.'"

After he defended Dunham, Rivers referenced Stern's model wife, Beth Ostrosky. "You didn't pick Lena Dunham to marry," she added.

:golfclap:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

What's great is that though the internet noise machine targeted Joan repeatedly, she just ignored it or doubled down. For instance, both Joan and Howard called Lena Dunham fat and ugly (which, for what its worth, is an objectively accurate description); both took poo poo for it, but where Howard was on his hands and knees apologizing to Lena for making a joke in the year 2012, Joan responded with

:golfclap:

Joan wasn't at her peak, but she was always good for one or two quality jokes.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

My internet outrage brain circuits are burned out due to crap like this, I don't give a gently caress any more. The flip side is text is a picky medium and many jokes don't work due to missing context, facial expressions, voice, body language, timing, and all that other poo poo that makes stand up comedy great. I'm pretty sure that still, in 2014, the most common question on the Internet is "was that sarcasm?". Someone could make the AIDS joke work in a set, but not on Twitter.

If someone gets bored they should create a Twitter account that only posts snippits of jokes from well respected comedians so people can get all eOutraged until someone points out it's part of a Richard Pryor or Louis CK joke.

I don't think many people here like Howard's interviews but if you want long-form interviews check out Kevin Pollak's Chat Show. Each one is about 2 hours long, is super laid back, and he's had a ton of killer guests. Skip to about 15 minutes in to skip Kevin's monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The best thing Joan Rivers ever did was get kicked off the show Loose Women (essentially the British version of The View) because she said Russel Crowe was a piece of loving poo poo live at 1:00pm in the afternoon(she didn't realize the show didn't have a delay or bleep). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOpquHD4HJQ

That being said I couldn't stand her on the Stern show which was partly Booeys fault due to having her on all the time.

(The guy from Dead or Alive who sang 'you spin me right round' was also banned from British tv for years for saying Jennifer Lopez was a oval office on live tv)