Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have ryobi and I'd buy the caulk gun if it were £10. I'd also say you do need 18v in a drill, it's the most used tool and not having the power to drive long screws or get through concrete is the worst.

I also got ryobi because of the yard tools, I've always got my eye out for a cheap strimmer and hedge cutters but I use the £20 vacuum more than any other tool in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I am very happy with my makita drill & driver kit, got an adapter for the driver so I can use hex sockets and it's been golden. I still find a lot of use for my cheapo 3.6v driver however, it is so small and light and does not screw as fast even when you depress the trigger fully, which is an advantage in some cases. The driver is easy to just loose control of because it goes so fast so quickly (you can control the speed but it's not easy).

So I basically got tools on both sides of the extreme ends and I think it works out fine like this. The 18v tools definitely get more use. Drill was invaluable for drilling in concrete and tiles when I ws putting up various stuff in the bathroom.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Hubis posted:

- How much do I really want/need a reciprocating saw?

If this house you bought is old, I'd say a reciprocating saw is essential.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am very happy with my makita drill & driver kit, got an adapter for the driver so I can use hex sockets and it's been golden. I still find a lot of use for my cheapo 3.6v driver however, it is so small and light and does not screw as fast even when you depress the trigger fully, which is an advantage in some cases. The driver is easy to just loose control of because it goes so fast so quickly (you can control the speed but it's not easy).

So I basically got tools on both sides of the extreme ends and I think it works out fine like this. The 18v tools definitely get more use. Drill was invaluable for drilling in concrete and tiles when I ws putting up various stuff in the bathroom.

The Makita 18v circular saw is nice for cutting 2x4, 2x6, sheet goods, etc too. I like having them for use in places where plugging in is difficult or impossible. You can still pick up decent corded tools to back them up at home for cheap, especially if you keep an eye out at garage sales.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
We just bought our first house a little over a year ago and have been working on it non stop. Having a Father in-law who is a tool nerd and somewhat of a hoarder has been a god sent. Having THE RIGHT tools for your projects will save you time and money in the long run.

quote:

-18v vs 12v?
Get an an Impact and a Drill in both if you can swing it. The 12v are great for tight spaces and projects where you're working over your head a lot. The 18v though are also necissary when you need to drive a lag in or drill through anything beefy.

quote:

- What would I realistically need a 1/2" chuck for? Can I get away with 3/8" for most everyday use?
whole saws, large boring / auger bits. It's good to have a corded 1/2" drill around. I use mine quite a lot.

quote:

- Are 18v circular saws worth it, if it's going to be my primary cutting tool? Or are they just not going to be sufficient beyond slicing 2x4's (which will probably still be a lot of what I do)?
Not really, you'll want a chop caw for cutting 2x4's and a corded circular saw for cutting sheet goods. You can get a decent 7" chop saw for $100 and a WORX circular saw for like $40. Chop saws are a must! Doesnt have to be a massive one or anything.

quote:

- How much do I really want/need a reciprocating saw?
How much do you really want/need oxygen to breathe!!??? A sawzall is a must! From tree pruning to demoing just about anything... you'll need one.

quote:

- Are there other tools that would be good to consider for a rounded cordless toolbox?
When you pick out a cordless kit, get the LED flashlight that's apart of the same line. Those things are incredible and the battery lasts forever.

quote:

- Are there any tools (mentioned or otherwise) I should just nut up and get a corded/table for?
Corded 1/2" drill with a handle.

quote:

- Brand overload.
Pickup a Ryobi tool and then go pick up a Makita or Milwaukee, that will answer this question.

For 12v I like Milwakee, for 18/20v I like Dewalt. Makita also makes a nice 18v kit that's pretty light and compact.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Reminder: today is the last day of this sale.

Also, note that Home Depot employees all have a hand-scanner that will let them check all other stores for inventory, so if the shelf is empty, don't give up without asking. Turned out the backwoods location about ten miles away from my local HD has 5+ of everything, and I'm picking up a hackzall, the straight drill and the right-angle one, and the non-Fuel impact driver tonight for ~$180. Which is fantastic.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of LED lights, I just bought this guy and it's awesome: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097TWG7K/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_p1

Battery life is only about 3 hours, but it's incredibly bright and has a very even spread.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

powderific posted:

Speaking of LED lights, I just bought this guy and it's awesome: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097TWG7K/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_p1

Battery life is only about 3 hours, but it's incredibly bright and has a very even spread.

That seems like a good alternative to the loving halogen light I have that I manage to loving burn myself on every time I go to turn the drat thing off.

If I sound angry, it's because I burnt my dumb hand on the halogen light like half an hour ago.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
The 12V Bosch stuff is The poo poo and outdrives the lovely 18V Ryobi One+ drill I tried. I've used the impact driver with structural screw and driven TimberLOKs with no issues. The whole system rules. I guess it's pretty much the same as the Milwaulkee, but you can get it in an LBOXX kit which is pretty swag.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the lboxx things seem dumb at first but in fact they rule

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
I have a couple of these and they are amazing. They stand up on their own and the light head pivots... very handy!

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-nextec-12-volt-led-worklight/p-00914298000P

In fact, the entire Craftsman 12v line is REALLY GOOD, I have the Impact, drill, auto hammer, multi tool and right angle impact. All of them perform well above what I would have expected, and for about half the cost of the Home Depot brands.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I meant to post this earlier. Lowes has the Porter Cable 3-Amp Oscillating Tool Kit for 1/2 off, only $49. It's a similar too to their $99 kit just with less added accessories.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591294-70-PCE606K_0__?productId=50158929&Ntt=ocsilating+tool&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Docsilating%2Btool&facetInfo=

There was a coupon for $10 also but it looks like it's not working anymore.

Today is the last day of the sale. I used it this weekend to trim some baseboards and it worked wonderfully.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

powderific posted:

2nding this. I avoided LED lights for years for being too dim/heavy or not having enough battery life, but there are now many options under $50 that will shine bright for hours. Great under the hood or in the closet.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Everytime I paint I remember that I hate painting. Someone convince me whether or not to buy a paint sprayer. It would just be for painting a house's interior.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

Everytime I paint I remember that I hate painting. Someone convince me whether or not to buy a paint sprayer. It would just be for painting a house's interior.

Painting is mostly prep. A sprayer adds even more prep time unless it's a vacant that's partially finished.

They also don't apply primer worth a poo poo (to the point where you should go over the primer coat with a roller to really jam it into fresh drywall).

So whether that saves you time or not really depends on what you are trying to paint. If this is a repaint in an occupied home.......gently caress no.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Motronic posted:

Painting is mostly prep. A sprayer adds even more prep time unless it's a vacant that's partially finished.

They also don't apply primer worth a poo poo (to the point where you should go over the primer coat with a roller to really jam it into fresh drywall).

So whether that saves you time or not really depends on what you are trying to paint. If this is a repaint in an occupied home.......gently caress no.

I (mostly) agree with this: If you've got acres of empty wall with little furniture to work around, a paint sprayer is a god-send. Occupied house? Nope.

I disagree about the primer bit, though. Yeah, you've got to backroll it, but that's a hell of a lot easier than rolling it out from nothing, and if you've got someone to help, it goes quick. First time I used a sprayer, two of us were able to lay down 10 gallons in under 8 hours, start to finish.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

Check out power rollers. If you are painting more than just a room or two it's totally worth it.

But yea, anytime you put paint through an airless system, plan on at least an hour of clean up.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Ran across what I think is another good 12v deal.

My local lumber store is selling the Dewalt 12v Max Li-Ion 4pc combo kit for $199

The kit comes with the following:
Drill
Impact
Reciprocating saw
LED worklight
2 batteries
charger

The next best price i've seen is Home Depot and Amazon at $259. Even at $259 this seems like a very solid deal considering what the tools retail for a la carte. ($100-159 each)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-Volt-Max-Li-Ion-Combo-Kit-4-Tool-DCK413S2/203316437#specifications

So I know I'm the 12v whore, but I really love this kit. I have the Dewalt 12v impact screw driver and it's just a super high quality tool. It's got the best feeling grip out of all the 12v's I've tried and it just feels really substantial.

Honestly, the real reason i'm thinking of picking up this kit is for the reciprecating saw. I've been looking for a 12v compact saw for a while and was really bummed out when the Milwaukee M12 hackzall got such lovely reviews. This little dewalt saw though seems to be legit and got really good reviews.

So yea, seems like a great kit, especially for those of you who've been asking which cordless tools you should pickup. This would definitely be a good kit to get started with.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Sointenly posted:

My local lumber store is selling the Dewalt 12v Max Li-Ion 4pc combo kit for $199

Drill
Impact
Reciprocating saw
LED worklight
2 batteries
charger

The next best price i've seen is Home Depot and Amazon at $259. Even at $259 this seems like a very solid deal considering what the tools retail for a la carte. ($100-159 each)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-Volt-Max-Li-Ion-Combo-Kit-4-Tool-DCK413S2/203316437#specifications

So I know I'm the 12v whore, but I really love this kit. I have the Dewalt 12v impact screw driver and it's just a super high quality tool. It's got the best feeling grip out of all the 12v's I've tried and it just feels really substantial.

Honestly, the real reason i'm thinking of picking up this kit is for the reciprecating saw. I've been looking for a 12v compact saw for a while and was really bummed out when the Milwaukee M12 hackzall got such lovely reviews. This little dewalt saw though seems to be legit and got really good reviews.

So yea, seems like a great kit, especially for those of you who've been asking which cordless tools you should pickup. This would definitely be a good kit to get started with.

This looks fantastic. Yeah, the more I was thinking about it, the more I realized that anything I'm likely to want 18v for, I can just do in the work shop. I'm not going to be doing any heavy work at random locations around the house (just yet). I am leaning towards something like this or the Bosch kits mentioned above.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Sointenly posted:

Drill
Impact
Reciprocating saw
LED worklight
2 batteries
charger

What store? Or more importantly, do they have them in MA/NH?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm looking to purchase my first drill. I want something cordless and lightweight for basic home stuff and possibly some future light reno.

What class of drill should I be looking at? Also is there a drill bit kit you recommend for small stuff or should I just buy bits one by one as I go? I am completely clueless.

I have been looking at these two drills: Makita XFD01WSP 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2" Driver and Milwaukee DRILL 1/2IN M12 FUEL KIT. Are those overkill?

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

uwaeve posted:

What store? Or more importantly, do they have them in MA/NH?

Ganahl Lumber, it's a Southern California chain I believe. For some reason they're not advertising this in their ad, I just came across this when I was there picking up some Poplar. If it were being advertised, I'd say to take it someone and see if they'll price match.

Ganahl inst known for their deals, so i'd be surprised if their weren't other places offering the same price.

One other thing I noticed, Sears is selling a 2pc kit that includes the Drill and Recip saw for like $139 but they are calling it a clearance sale. If Dewalt is clearing these tools out it might mean that more deals are on the way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you can stretch to that $199 kit above it'll be hard to beat.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Housh posted:

Milwaukee DRILL 1/2IN M12 FUEL KIT

Go with the Milwakee, a lot of stores are offering this drill with a FREE impact driver as well. You are really going to want an Impact driver if you plan on sinking any screws into anything.

Housh posted:

What class of drill should I be looking at? Also is there a drill bit kit you recommend for small stuff or should I just buy bits one by one as I go? I am completely clueless.

Something like this will cover 98% of the driller / driving that you're going to be doing around the house.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-100-piece-accessory-kit/p-00931639000P?sid=IMx20120601x002000-CoreTools-activeusers&redirectType=SRDT

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks! I'm gonna grab that drilling/driving kit.

Do you have any links to places that sell the M12 Fuel with an impact driver? I found this one but it doesn't look to be the same drill: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=MTL2691-22&zone_id=PDPZ2

edit: this one on amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-269...milwaukee+tools

Housh fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 5, 2014

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Sointenly posted:

Drill
Impact
Reciprocating saw
LED worklight
2 batteries
charger

This is a great set but it's like half the Dewalt 12V line. Their selection is pretty bad unfortunately.

I own Dewalt and Makita tools but I think in terms of 12V you have to recommend Milwaukee pretty strongly. Some people might think this Dewalt kit covers all the bases so selection doesn't matter. And I agree the average person won't need an M12 fuel rotary hammer. But they really might want a dremel, or a multi-tool, or a right angle drill and Dewalt doesn't offer these things in 12V and doesn't seem to be moving quickly either. Milwaukee on the other hand releases a couple new tools every month, recently including the 12V fuel hackzall.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Any opinions on this impact drill bit set? Lowes has it 1/2 off for the next month.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_505892-79992-DWA4CASE2_4294607757

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Funny, that's little to no 12v kit available over here, it's 10.8v, 14.4v and 18v.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Any opinions on this impact drill bit set? Lowes has it 1/2 off for the next month.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_505892-79992-DWA4CASE2_4294607757

I have one of those 4 and it's pretty much poo poo. The phillips bits in particular.

It's obviously made from the finest Chinesium available.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

From what I read while researching tools the 12V and the 10.8V are identical. They are both 3-cell lithiums.

3.6V cell charge * 3 cells = 10.8V

In the US they used to be marketed as 10.8V also, but one branded started marketing them as 12V, so all the others had to follow suit and rebrand them as 12V BECAUSE MORE VOLTS IS BETTER OBVIOUSLY!

So they actual voltages are 10.8V (3-cell), 14.4V (4-cell), and 18V (5 cell).

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Housh posted:

Thanks! I'm gonna grab that drilling/driving kit.

Do you have any links to places that sell the M12 Fuel with an impact driver? I found this one but it doesn't look to be the same drill: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=MTL2691-22&zone_id=PDPZ2

edit: this one on amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-269...milwaukee+tools

So those are both 18v kits. Imo that is overkill for most home type applications. I would be looking at 12v tools. Unfortunately, Home Depot was the most well known store giving the free tool away but I think their promotion is done. I was at my local lumber store those yesterday and noticed they were doing the same deal. What part of the country are you in?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I have one of those 4 and it's pretty much poo poo. The phillips bits in particular.

It's obviously made from the finest Chinesium available.

I don't have that set in particular, but I do have a similar DeWalt set. I always consider those to be consumables, particularly the Phillips bits. If you don't have anything at all I'd go ahead and get it, it looks like it's got a decent selection. Torx bits are a nice inclusion, that's one thing my set is missing that I wish it had. More drill bits is another, which this set seems to have covered also.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

I don't have that set in particular, but I do have a similar DeWalt set. I always consider those to be consumables, particularly the Phillips bits. If you don't have anything at all I'd go ahead and get it, it looks like it's got a decent selection. Torx bits are a nice inclusion, that's one thing my set is missing that I wish it had. More drill bits is another, which this set seems to have covered also.

I also consider bits to be consumables, so i guess I should have been more clear: these seem to be WAY too consumable.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sointenly posted:

What part of the country are you in?
Ontario, Canada. But I have a sister in Indiana driving up next week. She's bringing me that Sears drill bit deal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Now that I think of it I have plenty of philips bits and need more drill bits and could use a couple spade bits. Maybe I'll grab that Craftsman set posted earlier.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Motronic posted:

I also consider bits to be consumables, so i guess I should have been more clear: these seem to be WAY too consumable.

I like my bits to be very consumable. I'd rather ruin a bit than a screwhead. So cheap as chips bits and quality screws is my philosophy.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Deedle posted:

I like my bits to be very consumable. I'd rather ruin a bit than a screwhead. So cheap as chips bits and quality screws is my philosophy.

Does anyone go in for the "Impact" specific bits? Makita came out with their Gold Ultra bit sets and I think Milwakee has the Sockwave series now. Like a few people have said before, I've always thought of bits as disposable... should I care if these last 10x longer?

Here's an example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-Impact-Gold-21-Piece-Ultra-Magnetic-Insert-Bit-Set-B-31893/203459383

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sointenly posted:

Does anyone go in for the "Impact" specific bits? Makita came out with their Gold Ultra bit sets and I think Milwakee has the Sockwave series now. Like a few people have said before, I've always thought of bits as disposable... should I care if these last 10x longer?

Here's an example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-Impact-Gold-21-Piece-Ultra-Magnetic-Insert-Bit-Set-B-31893/203459383

I got that exact set when I picked up my impact driver. Works good so far. It would have been nice to include a square drive #1 in place of one of the numerous extra phillips #2 bits, but you don't need those very often.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I haven't noticed any great durability difference between my Milwaukee shockwave bits and run of the mill bits. Maybe they last a *little* longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deedle posted:

Not to drag this ON and ON and ON, but seriously: I'm not new at this. I get that.

Those bits are literally chewed up after a coulple dozen screws with no cam outs or anything else that should damage them. They are poo poo, and not worth even the low price they are being sold at.