Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I couldn't get the bonus WP that required defeating both Yugi and Parsee in the same turn without bombs. That was just awful. I would have loved to fight them separately. As it was, I gave up and bombed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
For my money, easily the hardest WP Bonus in the game was the one where you have to get everyone past that line while running from Yorihime. The drat Reduced Movespeed field makes it seem impossible.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I could have gotten that one if I didn't decide to stop and kill the boss. The boss's field was -2 move, and when you kill her, she just respawns. Which left me effectively trapped. Even then I had the stage down to like 5 enemy units left by the last turn. One more turn and I probably could have gotten clear.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Hokuto posted:

I couldn't get the bonus WP that required defeating both Yugi and Parsee in the same turn without bombs. That was just awful. I would have loved to fight them separately. As it was, I gave up and bombed it.

At least you didn't spend an hour on the last two turns because you read the bonus wrong and thought it said "beat them both at the same time". :suicide:

It's actually not that bad, since Yuugi's last spell has an infinite timer. The real trick is Parsee, who will pretty much gently caress you over if you don't know how she works. Which is entirely accurate to SA, so.

The worst bonus is the self-imposed "kill everyone on chapter 40" because hahahahaha oh my god.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

It's actually not that bad, since Yuugi's last spell has an infinite timer. The real trick is Parsee, who will pretty much gently caress you over if you don't know how she works. Which is entirely accurate to SA, so.

The problem I found with Yugi's spellcard was that it gave her free autohit every turn. She did enough damage to effectively one-shot anybody she attacked, and there was nothing I could do about it. So every extra turn I spent trying to set up for Parsee was a turn that I lost another unit. I didn't have the patience to plan around that.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

ProfessorProf posted:

For my money, easily the hardest WP Bonus in the game was the one where you have to get everyone past that line while running from Yorihime. The drat Reduced Movespeed field makes it seem impossible.

This one is honestly not too bad. I equipped the +1 movement skill on the ship and used it to ferry slower units to the end. Managed to reach it before the last line of enemy reinforcements spawned. The real challenge for this chapter is getting the bonus AND defeating the boss for her completely useless item.

EDIT: which I managed to do on NG+ but could probably be done on a fresh save.

(chapter 49 spoiler)

Ryza fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 2, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ryza posted:

This one is honestly not too bad. I equipped the +1 movement skill on the ship and used it to ferry slower units to the end. Managed to reach it before the last line of enemy reinforcements spawned. The real challenge for this chapter is getting the bonus AND defeating the boss for her completely useless item.

EDIT: which I managed to do on NG+ but could probably be done on a fresh save.

My hat goes off to you. Good job.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
It also helped that my Reimu looked like this:

By the way fun fact about NG+, you only start with the 225 WP from the first game.:suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Default levels are absurdly low, I can believe they somehow didn't get a single bonus.

I mean what the hell, nobody over level 30.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I've been largely ignoring these cus I thought they're not in English. But now that it's dominated the thread for at least a solid week and several pages, I'm starting to feel left out. CAN you play these in English or do like all you guys speak Japanese or what? I don't mind playing shmups in a language I can't read, but this thing is more of an RPG isn't it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Not only are all the Windows games fully (fan) translated, but they're just bullet hell games. There's just a poo poo ton of additional canon and fan work that expands the story to silly degrees.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

FMW1 is in english, but 2 and 3 are japanese. They're SRW-clones though, and that's a series where you don't have to be able to read to understand how to play. If you get through FMW1, you'll be more than set for the other two games.

Also I've gotten all the intermissions, played every chapter, and messed around with all the sound test options. I'm still missing a single song, 122. I want to say it's Akyu's, but I have never seen the option for her song. What gives? :psyduck:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He's talking about the FMW games. The first one covering EoSD is translated. The others are not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you can't read Japanese, you'll almost certainly need a walkthrough to figure out what various skills and spirits are supposed to do. There are also some moves that have limitations like "cannot be used while focused" that won't be intutive. You could certainly stumble your way through them using your memories from the translated first game, but you'd miss out on all the new stuff and probably make it harder on yourself. I wouldn't recommend it, honestly.

But if you really really want, there is a thread on shrinemaiden devoted to explaining what all the stuff on the menus mean.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SRW as a series has long been played by people who have no idea what they're reading. At the worst you'll have to play OG2 or J on the GBA to get a taste of regular flavor SRW, or lurk /m/ or whatever and ask for help on a SRW general.

I made two pastebins for FMW2 and FMW3. Once you have general SRW knowledge, they should be all you ever need.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

But if you don't have pre-existing SRW knowledge, even the game translated into English doesn't make any freaking sense since the tutorial only bothers to explain what's new in FMW. I didn't figure out what Power did until more than 3/4 of the way through. I just kind of thought your moves were randomly unavailable until a certain turn. I think you're assuming a particularly background for the player. And your pastebins are exactly the same thing I linked: a mandatory huge list of translations that are absolutely vital to playing the game. This might surprise you, but some people don't like alt-tabbing every 5 seconds until they, surprise-surprise, kind of accidentally learn to read a tiny bit of Japanese and can recognize the same abilities on different characters.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If that's what you think, haha man you would not fit in the general SRW fanbase. :v:

Behold: the main website for the entire english fanbase.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
On the other hand, some people are totally fine with it! It might at least be worth trying for a little bit to see if he cares enough.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

If that's what you think, haha man you would not fit in the general SRW fanbase. :v:

Behold: the main website for the entire english fanbase.

Er... yes? I also have no interest in robots and the fighting thereof. I'm just saying that people are different. Obviously people interested enough to play games in Japanese are interested enough to play games in Japanese, but clearly the person asking here wasn't because they didn't. Now, maybe they'd discover that they're actually the kind of person who would love alt-tabbing forever, and maybe we'll all live happily ever after, but I just gave my personal recommendation against it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I love how you got on your soapbox in response to a dude just asking if a game is in english or not, incidentally.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm just saying you need to know a lot of Japanese (or have it translated for you in pastebins) to understand how to play the game. Also you need to understand how the game works before you start playing. That was the question.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Clarste posted:

Er... yes? I also have no interest in robots and the fighting thereof. I'm just saying that people are different. Obviously people interested enough to play games in Japanese are interested enough to play games in Japanese, but clearly the person asking here wasn't because they didn't. Now, maybe they'd discover that they're actually the kind of person who would love alt-tabbing forever, and maybe we'll all live happily ever after, but I just gave my personal recommendation against it.

Speaking as a person who loves SRW and Touhou I would just give up. On one hand FMW2 and FMW3 may or may not be translated to english, so there is still hope.

None of the SRW:OGs stuff will be translated to english :smith:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Why would i play FMW 2 and 3 if I can't understand the story there is literally no point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Namtab posted:

Why would i play FMW 2 and 3 if I can't understand the story there is literally no point.

Because they're exceedingly good strategy RPGs with a lot of depth and challenge to them, even completely divorced of the Touhou franchise trappings.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Fantasy maiden Wars is straight-up my favorite Super Robot Wars game in terms of gameplay.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

Because they're exceedingly good strategy RPGs with a lot of depth and challenge to them, even completely divorced of the Touhou franchise trappings.

seems like half the challenge is knowing whats going on tho, im not a huge nerd w/a load of time on my hands I don't want to have to consult a pastebin just to know which button is move.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've played dinky RPG Maker games with a text grabber + machine translator, but that probably won't work for something as complicated as FMW.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It actually works quite nicely. Kanji Tomo basically does both for you.

Patch 1.0.5 is out, and I guess I read that earlier tweet wrong because the game has hit general release.

Yuyuko was fixed.

EDIT: V Welp. :downs:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 5, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BlitzBlast posted:

It actually works quite nicely. Kanji Tomo basically does both for you.

Patch 1.0.5 is out, and I guess I read that earlier tweet wrong because the game has hit general release.

Yuyuko was fixed.

I have this subtle suspicion that that's not the correct URL for the first link.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RIP God Yuyuko bug.

Now I have no reason to use that PS because I always reset if I lose a unit anyways. :downs:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

This one looks to be a pretty extensive patch, looking at all the bug fixes. Even a couple new things. Too bad it still doesn't fix my carry over data, so I have to restart the entire library to get all that working. I was at 98% and only missing some enemy entries and song 122. :suicide:

Also I guess this one confirms it; Final Spark doesn't get The Moment Dreams Reach the Stars. I mean I guess Stardust Hero syncs to the animation but god drat it now she doesn't have a finisher theme.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 5, 2014

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Dr Pepper posted:

RIP God Yuyuko bug.

Now I have no reason to use that PS because I always reset if I lose a unit anyways. :downs:

Just bring Alice along and use the suicide legion she can summon to keep Yuyuko topped off.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden a lot of my library entries are full now. Yeah, 122 was Akyu's theme.

EDIT: Replayed up to 39R in my quest to refill my save/quit messages, and yeah my earlier summary was pretty much right.

Reisen sneak attacks Reimu, Yukari bails her out, everyone gets attacked by rabbits, etc, etc. Two turns later Reimu demands Yukari hand over the new equipment she's apparently been working on in between games, and Yukari responds with the usual "but it's not fully tested, it's dangerous!" excuse. Reimu could not give less of a poo poo, but Yukari stands firm; the Hakurei Shrine Maiden is too important to risk after all. Things go pretty well in the battle afterwards (and this is my Team 9 save where 80% of my party is drastically underleveled) so I'm not sure why Reimu was so worried.

Anyways Reisen sees that things are going south and pops in. She calls everyone's attention then blasts the player side with a dose of madness. She takes advantage of the confusion to nail two units with lasers (it doesn't seem to do any damage), then calls in reinforcements. This gets Reimu chomping at the bit again to help out, but Yukari repeats that the new equipment is too dangerous. She understands that Reimu wants to help, but reminds her that this is for her own good. Reimu bites back that while Yukari says she's worried about Reimu, really she's more worried about the Hakurei Shrine Maiden. If she really cares about Reimu, she'll let her go. Yukari doesn't have an answer to this, and with one final warning (that Reimu ignores), she sends Reimu off.

Cut back to the battle. Reisen targets Chen (I think it changes depending on who you deployed, I don't remember her targeting Chen last time) and surrounds her with rabbits. Chen cries for Ran, who immediately starts heading over. Because I guess being literally right next to Chen is still too far away. Reimu busts in with her UFO outfit and the full version of Dream Balancer, beats up a rabbit, and declares it's time to kick rear end.

Aya immediately recognizes the new equipment as Yukari's work, and Reimu (who is still kind of mad about being forced to stay on the side) takes down three rabbits at once with a barrier. Youmu and Reisen are both stunned by the sight, and Yukari takes the time to warp in. Yuyuko asks her what took so long, while Ran asks why the hell she let Reimu upgrade. Yukari laughs that she was worried too, but Reimu's surprised her; even though she didn't really train all that much, she's already got a handle on her new equipment.

Unlike Marisa, Reimu only has two conversations. For all her attacks but her finisher, she muses that she's figured out how to use her new weapons, causing Reisen to order everyone to dogpile Reimu. For her finisher, she tells Yukari that she got the idea from her.

Nothing very special happens after that. Reisen throws a smokebomb to get away after Chen, Cirno, and Rumia destroy her, and afterwards everyone has a chat about how much stronger Reimu's gotten. Even the cut to Yukari is just her musing about her argument with Reimu. Though when Yuyuko busts in, she does reveal that the UFO outfit was her and Ran's design. :v:.

Oh and here's the "full" version of Dream Balancer. I guess I should get around to hitting 39M again to get Stardust Hero's intro, but screw that.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 6, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Replayed up to 39R in my quest to refill my save/quit messages, and yeah my earlier summary was pretty much right.

Um... equipment? Dangerous and untested equipment? Since when does Reimu even have equipment? I'm glad I always choose Marisa in these games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

Um... equipment? Dangerous and untested equipment? Since when does Reimu even have equipment? I'm glad I always choose Marisa in these games.

New needles, a new gohei, and super powerful homing amulets, I believe.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

She's the Real, it's not an upgrade if it doesn't involve some sort of DANGEROUS NEVER BEFORE TESTED PROTOTYPE MACHINE equipment.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
So is Ruler of the Night/Vampire ability of the Scarlets with Parasol bugged or am I missing something?

I have the Parasol equipped on a Day stage equipped but the ability is not activating.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So Marisa gets a powerup due to deep introspection about the reason she became a magician and about how all her friends have helped her improve and become stronger. And Reimu gets a powerup due to showing unnatural ability with some gifts that were given to her.

Seems appropriate. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

L-O-N posted:

So is Ruler of the Night/Vampire ability of the Scarlets with Parasol bugged or am I missing something?

The Parasol allows units with the Vampire ability to be used in daytime stages. The Vampire ability itself only works on Night terrain, so break out Rumia if you want that HP/MP regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So Marisa gets a powerup due to deep introspection about the reason she became a magician and about how all her friends have helped her improve and become stronger. And Reimu gets a powerup due to showing unnatural ability with some gifts that were given to her.

Seems appropriate. :v:

Reimu gets another power-up later in the game when she thinks long and hard about the true meaning of being a shrine maiden, falls asleep, and then accidentally beats everyone up while sleepwalking.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 6, 2014