Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Rules as written, is there a way to do non-fatal damage? I do not have a player handbook with me and will not until Saturday. One specific thing to be done requires the capture of a target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You just deal damage and when the killing blow lands you decide if it's fatal or not.

Yo Cirno, tell me what you mean by "There aren't any divergent resource management styles pre-4e" with regards to point casters, psionic focus mechanic, tob classes, and artificers.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 5, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kortel posted:

Rules as written, is there a way to do non-fatal damage? I do not have a player handbook with me and will not until Saturday. One specific thing to be done requires the capture of a target.

They use the 4e rules for this. When you take someone to 0 HP, you can choose if they die or not. Page 76 of the basic rules PDF.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

They use the 4e rules for this. When you take someone to 0 HP, you can choose if they die or not. Page 76 of the basic rules PDF.

Praise where it's due, that's a good rule to keep. Subdual damage was dumb.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You just deal damage and when the killing blow lands you decide if it's fatal or not.

Yo Cerno, tell me what you mean by "There aren't any divergent resource management styles pre-4e" with regards to point casters, psionic focus mechanic, tob classes, and artificers.

I'd say that artificers are just more vancian casters, psionic focus was barely used at all in 3.x (though I'd grant them as point casters, with the caveat that it was really only in 3.5 that it actually worked), and using what 3.x fans tend to hate because it was explicitly part of late 3.x's experimental "proto-4e" stuff is stretching it.

You're taking several decades and then pointing at a 2-3 year span right at the end and waving your arms yelling "SEE!"

Also it's Cirno, come on.

Also laffo at you trying to call me out.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Gort posted:

Thanks!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Praise where it's due, that's a good rule to keep. Subdual damage was dumb.

The other good rules they took from 4e are the death-and-dying rules, which are TONS better than the 3e garbage of "die at -10 HP", which works fine at level 1, but since 10 HP becomes a smaller and smaller fraction of your HP total as you level up, people getting knocked out gets rarer and rarer and getting instantly killed gets more and more common as you gain levels.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
For when it matters, I try to have the enemies and players declare their intent behind combat even if only the last hit matters. It makes a difference to the mood of a scene if the characters are getting cut up and wounded as opposed to being battered into submission.

Probably the most unchanged rules holdover from 4e is the death and dying section. Subdual damage is dumb and so is negative hit points. I wish HD were still an in-combat resource like healing surges though.

Edit. Beaten to it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'd say that artificers are just more vancian casters, psionic focus was barely used at all in 3.x (though I'd grant them as point casters, with the caveat that it was really only in 3.5 that it actually worked), and using what 3.x fans tend to hate because it was explicitly part of late 3.x's experimental "proto-4e" stuff is stretching it.

You're taking several decades and then pointing at a 2-3 year span right at the end and waving your arms yelling "SEE!"

Also it's Cirno, come on.

Also laffo at you trying to call me out.
Yea, there's some tone thing missing, because I honestly wanted to know what you thought about those things. Not everything is a Gotcha! I agree that those things are outliers and not really indicative of the game at large, that's why I had to ask. I wanted to see if there was a reason you considered them the same type of resource management like you think of the artificer.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 5, 2014

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I enjoy the death system this time around. Almost lost my character first session. Two fails, two passes then a party member shoved a minor healing potion down my throat.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So I've played a couple of sessions of 5E recently as a trickster omain cleric (with Magic Initiate to snag mage hand and expeditious retreat). Sessions have been OK fun, mostly due to not engaging a lot of the rules. I started with 4E and am finding 5E pretty drab and unfinished feeling. Nevertheless I am trying to give it an honest go.

Trickster cleric seems pretty lacklustre in combat (out of combat I've got some mileage from having charm person and mage hand - hah, Wizard spells) and I feel like I'm gonna have to waste a lot of spell slots on healing. What I do have is a pretty cool shadow clone that I can use to get melee advantage, and also cast spells through.

I'm trying to think of ways to maximize the possibilities of my clone. I'm wondering if taking a level of rogue for some backstab damage is worth being a level behind of spells (I'm pretty sure it isn't). Anyone got any good ideas?

On the rolling for ability scores issue, we had the choice of standard array or 4d6 drop lowest and re-roll anything below an 8 (this is a non-choice). I got 17, 17, 15, 12, 12, 11. I'm pretty sure I far outstrip any other party member in raw ability scores. It's dumb. On the plus side I'm pretty much free to just take feats instead of ability score improvements.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not with the company they keep and defend, no they absolutely do not deserve better.

This is a subsidiary thing, but I know you've posted in the past expressing regret about how you posted about 4E when it came out (pretty sure this was you) and I can't help but think you might feel the same way about your current posts in a couple years. You are posting like an arsehole in this thread. I get rebutting MonsterEnvy's dumb posts, but you are going seriously over the top routinely in this thread. I know I'm mostly a lurker but usually your posts are pretty interesting and informative but this thread has a lot of being a prick because someone has a poorly supported opinion about Dungeons and Dragons.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

AlphaDog posted:

Random Encounters (which will now be forever in my mind as "hurry up or the monsters will get you") were actually a pretty good and elegant feature of Dungeons and Dragons. I mean when it was only really about going into dungeons and searching for dragons (because they have the most loot).

The whole "You are in a dungeon. Monsters are everywhere and time is important" thing was once of the giant limitations on spellcasters back in those days, and is a wonderful example of something that gradually (over years and years) got toned down, kind of ignored, then mostly removed without the consequences being considered.

Hell man, it took ten minutes to check a 10x10 section of wall for traps and secret doors. Ten minutes! Our torches are burning down, the Light spell is running out, the cleric's out of spells and we need to get out of the dungeon and besides we're only 5 minutes away from probably monsters jumpin out at us again! gently caress checking for tra...

E: I lost my thread there... the point was that the first time I heard of the "5 minute workday" I was genuinely mystified. Then I checked the current ruleset, and... yeah. Yeah, you could do it like that.

Don't forget how much gold = exp played into this. Nowadays monsters are basically experience pinatas and killing them is almost a goal onto itself, but when most of your experience comes from the treasure itself and monster give only a pittance your have a much greater incentive to try to avoid combat. Old school D&D is a lot less big drat hero's and a lot more about getting in, taking everything that's not nailed down, and getting out alive.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea, homeboy who based his fantasy homebrew system on the "there's always a way" rule from basic really helped with letting everyone be useful. At the worst, a character with balanced stats has a 55% percent shot at doing anything because you just under or equal your stat. So ideally, you'd have the high dex do the fine motor skills challenge, but no one was up poo poo creek unless they were specifically gimped.
Yay, I helped with something! :toot: (Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thefakenews posted:

This is a subsidiary thing, but I know you've posted in the past expressing regret about how you posted about 4E when it came out (pretty sure this was you) and I can't help but think you might feel the same way about your current posts in a couple years. You are posting like an arsehole in this thread. I get rebutting MonsterEnvy's dumb posts, but you are going seriously over the top routinely in this thread. I know I'm mostly a lurker but usually your posts are pretty interesting and informative but this thread has a lot of being a prick because someone has a poorly supported opinion about Dungeons and Dragons.

If you go back to the part of the thread where seebs has to have "fantastical but not explicitly coming from a wizard" explained to him in exacting detail, which he masterfully refutes by invoking Paul Bunyon, you'll see that he actually is a moron though, regardless of the lovely company he keeps elsewhere.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Payndz posted:

Yay, I helped with something! :toot: (Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.)
It's a great rule, that as you said, is overlooked all the time. The other one I like a bunch is one from RC: you roll on a curve by using incremental d6's as ascending difficulty. That's actually in the book! Why that never took off I have no idea.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

If you go back to the part of the thread where seebs has to have "fantastical but not explicitly coming from a wizard" explained to him in exacting detail, which he masterfully refutes by invoking Paul Bunyon, you'll see that he actually is a moron though, regardless of the lovely company he keeps elsewhere.

I'm not suggesting seebs is making good posts, I'm suggesting the responses from otherwise interesting and informative posters in this thread are beneath them and are making this thread as difficult to read as posts from MonsterEnvy and seebs. It's not like anyone is gonna convince them of anything by calling them a moron (rational argument doesn't seem effective most of the time either I admit) - and just calling them a moron for it's own sake is kinda pointless.

e: Basically, this would be a better thread if people just ignored MonsterEnvy rather than derailing interesting discussion to call him a mendacious oval office for 2 pages.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 5, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
This is what, the fifth 5e thread? They always fall to poo poo when there isn't anything new going on.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 5, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's up with so many players' groups forcing them to play/run Next?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

moths posted:

With my group; we just finished a major story arc in Rogue Trader spanning seven months. I was burned out from running it and our Call of Cthulhu. The other DM for 4E wasn't ready to continue the game due to a transitioning to a new job. So, our buddy wanted to try and run 5E since it's shiny and new. It's his second attempt at DMing and 4E was his first ever table top system. He's enjoying it so far, has valid gripes about the book setup. We test out systems pretty frequently, generally do our legacy games three times a month and a one-shot/4E campaign once a month. I just wanted to play something, so I agreed. We got a new player (our 4E DM's little brother) and lost two players in turn.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

moths posted:

My DM said he was burned out on trying to challenge the party in 4e. I wonder how he'll feel about trying to build an encounter that can challenge a Lore Bard without slaughtering an Eldritch Knight.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Really Pants posted:

My DM said he was burned out on trying to challenge the party in 4e. I wonder how he'll feel about trying to build an encounter that can challenge a Lore Bard without slaughtering an Eldritch Knight.

You just have to challenge them separately. The Fighter needs to find a way to get his armor on, and the Bard has to kill a dragon while simultaneously beating it at chess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

moths posted:

I "forced" my players to play 5e - mixed reactions depending on the player (I did an effortpost on it earlier) but in general it didn't go down well and was seen as a backward step in a lot of areas compared to other RPGs we've played.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Gort posted:

I "forced" my players to play 5e - mixed reactions depending on the player (I did an effortpost on it earlier) but in general it didn't go down well and was seen as a backward step in a lot of areas compared to other RPGs we've played.

I think this is continuously one of the most disappointing things about 5e. It's the largest name in the Tabletop RPG genre and we're watching it become an objectively worse game than over a dozen alternative RPGs, including previous editions of itself.

That's annoying, yes, but it's not a huge problem because I can... well, I can just go play those RPGs. I don't need DnD to hold me at night to feel good. But the real crime here is that we have people aggressively defending it, buying it, and saying, "FINALLY!" Basically ensuring that Wizards keeps heading in this direction with DnD.

(not talking about these forums, just what I've seen on other forums, twitter, reddit, etc..)

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Wait, the impression I've been getting is that people are quite enamored with what they've seen of 5e. I've barely explored this edition, is it trending in a bad direction?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Wait, the impression I've been getting is that people are quite enamored with what they've seen of 5e. I've barely explored this edition, is it trending in a bad direction?

Basically, anyone who hated 4e likes it to some degree, since it's not 4e.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Radio Talmudist posted:

The problem with 5e is the same as the problem with 3e. The deeper you look at it the more it breaks. It has been very prettily veneered and the first couple of levels are good. But Mearls' Math Mangle is ineffective and irrelevant, and the higher level you look or play the worse the whole thing is.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Honestly, as a still neophyte RPG gamer, I have no idea how to process threads like this. I know DnD edition wars are vituperative as a rule, and I'm too new to fully comprehend all the apologies and critiques spat out so far, so...

...I'm going to hope that the people I play with like it. And then switch to Dungeon Lords if it proves to be too complicated.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

Honestly, as a still neophyte RPG gamer, I have no idea how to process threads like this. I know DnD edition wars are vituperative as a rule, and I'm too new to fully comprehend all the apologies and critiques spat out so far, so...

...I'm going to hope that the people I play with like it. And then switch to Dungeon Lords if it proves to be too complicated.

Nothing wrong with giving it a try - especially if you don't drop any money on it. I just think that any kind of game you could play in 5e, you could play better in another system.

I also think it's a poor fit for a neophyte RPGer since it comes with a lot of legacy bullshit that only exists because that's the way it was done in earlier editions. (EG: Your stats range from 8 to 20. However, you never actually use that stat, you actually use a modifier derived from that stat using the formula stat-10/2 round down, for no other reason than that's the way it's always been, and their existing fanbase might revolt if stats no longer worked that way)

Edit: Also, when you said "Dungeon Lords" did you mean "Dungeon World"? 'Cause Dungeon World looks really cool (haven't played it seriously yet though) and strikes me as far more newbie-friendly.

Gort fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 5, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So is there an "inebriated" condition anymore?

I have a drunk dwarf barbarian in the party.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Dungeon World is what I meant, yes. That said, I did spend 40 odd dollars for the Players Handbook and the Starter Set, currently en route to my home.

...so I guess I better give this the old college try. Dungeon World definitely intrigues me though, as I prioritize story-telling over mechanics any day. That said, I grew up on a heady cocktail of Black Isle RPGs and have affection for many elements of DnD based RPGs. Even if that poo poo goes convoluted at times.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Not that I've seen.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Why would you want mechanical effects for inebriation? Either use Poisoned or just roleplay it.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Dungeon World is what I meant, yes. That said, I did spend 40 odd dollars for the Players Handbook and the Starter Set, currently en route to my home.

...so I guess I better give this the old college try. Dungeon World definitely intrigues me though, as I prioritize story-telling over mechanics any day. That said, I grew up on a heady cocktail of Black Isle RPGs and have affection for many elements of DnD based RPGs. Even if that poo poo goes convoluted at times.

Feel free to ask 5e advice/questions here and we'll do our best to help out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Find all instances of "Rage" on their sheet, replace with "Shitfaced"

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Find all instances of "Rage" on their sheet, replace with "Shitfaced"

And replace the exhaustion mechanics with Hangover?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jack the Lad posted:

Why would you want mechanical effects for inebriation?

Because you want mechanical encouragement to turn every dungeon crawl into a pub crawl with everyone getting shitfaced for bonuses and trying to make out with the gorgon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jack the Lad posted:

Why would you want mechanical effects for inebriation? Either use Poisoned or just roleplay it.

Once upon a time wayyyyy back during the early playtest drafts being drunk gave you a combination of damage resistance and disadvantage but it was possible to ameliorate the effects of being disadvantaged, which meant that for a brief moment getting hammered was a viable adventuring tactic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jack the Lad posted:

In the playtest a drink wizard got damage reduction and could ignore drunk penalties because magic missiles don't miss.

Drunk people could also ignore being on fire, IIRC.

Efb

moths fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 5, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

And being attacked by rats.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

moths posted:

Drunk people could also ignore being on fire, IIRC.

I don't think that they would be able to ignore it for very long :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's honestly a missed opportunity that dwarves don't get some sort of bonus when drunk because if you're gonna make a game out of pastiche and stereotypes you might as well go all in and have fun with it.