Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WhiteWolf123 posted:

SRM, those old-school Ultras are just too awesome. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! Next I've got some assault Marines and a Terminator Librarian courtesy Buffalo Chicken that I just primed last night.

Sulecrist posted:

The new FW Raven Guard dreadnought looks really cool, though I'm not sure why it's equipped the way it is. Maybe it hunts APCs. I guess it's cool enough not to matter. (I'd post the picture but I'm on my phone.)
You have to buy the arms separate so you can arm it with whatever; you're not stuck with whatever's in the stock photos, fortunately.
This sounds incredibly fun! If I end up going to NOVA, this sounds like my kind of event.

SRM fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Hey Cataphract. I started working on a Heldrake and I recalled your squid monstrosity drake (I think it was yours) and how much I liked your color scheme. I sifted through the old thread for an hour or so last night looking for the pages where you described what paints you used, but I couldn't find it.

If you wouldn't mind, would you be willing to list what paints you used and anything special about the actual painting of the beast? I'd like to copy it! Also, a good excuse to post more pictures of it! :) Thanks!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dump_Stat posted:

Hey Cataphract. I started working on a Heldrake and I recalled your squid monstrosity drake (I think it was yours) and how much I liked your color scheme. I sifted through the old thread for an hour or so last night looking for the pages where you described what paints you used, but I couldn't find it.

If you wouldn't mind, would you be willing to list what paints you used and anything special about the actual painting of the beast? I'd like to copy it! Also, a good excuse to post more pictures of it! :) Thanks!

Sure thing, I'm going from memory here cause my notes are back in Australia and I am in a lovely hotel room in Dresden, Germany.

I use a lot of the old citadel colours so you may have to grab analogues

I prime the model brown using army painter leather brown primer.

Armour
Drybrush layers of Catachan Green, camo green and rotting flesh

Rusted areas
devlan mud wash followed by drybrushes of vermin fur and blazing orange (although the new technical ryza rust is pretty dang good)

Skin
Deneb stone, heavy baal red wash and drybrushed deneb stone

Bone
snakebite leather base, worked up to bleached bone with a series of drybrushes mixing in a little more bone with each layer

Eyes
Blood red base worked up to blazing orange in the centre

Blood
tamiya clear red

slime
tamiya clear green

Then after that's all done I wash agrax eathshade in the deep crevices and on parts of the armour and do patches of heavy purple and red washes hither and thither.

more pics

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 5, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Moola posted:

Hey Ive got another pedantic 30k question!

Rapier weapon teams. The official model has one dude on his own base and one dude on the gun. Is this the way you have to model them? Does it matter? Can I model them both on a base with the gun?

Strictly speaking, the "official" models for the Rapier, Sabre Platform, and Vaul's Wrath are all incorrect, as they have one crewmember on the same base as the weapon. All three models are supposed to be separate, as unlike IG Heavy Weapon Teams they are actually independent of each other and act differently.

The easiest way to play it would be to essentially count the "built-in" crewmember where they stand, i.e. directly behind the gun itself- this means they won't be able to reposition, but that isn't usually an issue anyways. If the gun platform dies this can make things a little awkward unless you have a spare model laying around, but typically I don't find it to be a big issue as you usually want to lose one crewman, the gun, and then the final crewman last (to preserve KP/first blood/scoring unit.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
^ Cheers!

Sperg-attack diffused...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sex Cannon posted:

Ghost Hand: I know you live on the other side of the country, but come to NOVA next year. WOM, MSP, and I all had a blast, and a few of your West coast buds made it out.

I'm thinking about it but it probably wont be next year. Thing is I am already booked for Adepticon and was honestly considering GenCon next year as well...

In addition to sending my wife and kid to DC for a school trip and us going to Maui, looking like my travel ticket might be punched already. Mike Brandt keeps telling me to come out there as well.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Ghost Hand, I just found out I'm going to be stuck in Dublin/Pleasanton for eight days over the holidays (12/23-12/30). I do not want to spend that much time with my in-laws. I'm sure you personally have a lot of family stuff, but do you know of any cool 40k events in the Oakland area that might be scheduled for around that time? I'm from Pennsylvania so I'm not even sure where to look. Worst case scenario I'll go to Endgame once or twice but it'd be awesome if my visit coincided with some sort of rad narrative event someplace.

Edit: also planning on hiking a lot. gonna go down to point lobos and see me some more sea otters.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 5, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you want to see those furry little degenerates in the wild up a whole lot closer than point lobos send me a PM though the weather may be an issue.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

Cataphract posted:

Sure thing

Awesome buddy, thanks! This is seriously one of my favorite models around! Always nice to see it.

Dump_Stat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 5, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Picked up an Imperial Knight last night. I plan to run it with my genestealer cult. I wanted to make it a bit more Tyranid. I figured the head was a good place to do this. Turns out Imperial Knights and Carnifexes have the same sized heads.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You have to replace those eagle heads with ripper heads.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I considered that, but ripper heads are much larger. I think I may replace them with the standard Tyranid claw parts that all the MCs come with.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

Hey Ive got another pedantic 30k question!

Rapier weapon teams. The official model has one dude on his own base and one dude on the gun. Is this the way you have to model them? Does it matter? Can I model them both on a base with the gun?

Help I'm spergin out over here! :supaburn:

You want to model them on bases so you can stick one guy up front to be all like "hai guys shoot at me" and then 1 dude behind the gun. Gun crews always use the toughness of the gun, and the gun is T7, so you basically use the guy up front as a spare T7 wound before your gun starts taking hits. Then when the gun blows up you march the other guy over to the next battery and stand his rear end in front of the next gun russian army style to have 2 spare T7 wounds.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You have to replace those eagle heads with ripper heads.

Clearly rippers would used better as replacement teeth on the giant chainsword.

A ripsword if you will.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

You want to model them on bases so you can stick one guy up front to be all like "hai guys shoot at me" and then 1 dude behind the gun. Gun crews always use the toughness of the gun, and the gun is T7, so you basically use the guy up front as a spare T7 wound before your gun starts taking hits. Then when the gun blows up you march the other guy over to the next battery and stand his rear end in front of the next gun russian army style to have 2 spare T7 wounds.

lol this is rad, I love 30k

except I only have one battery so I cant do the second thing

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Hand posted:

I'm thinking about it but it probably wont be next year. Thing is I am already booked for Adepticon and was honestly considering GenCon next year as well...

In addition to sending my wife and kid to DC for a school trip and us going to Maui, looking like my travel ticket might be punched already. Mike Brandt keeps telling me to come out there as well.

"New on Kickstarter: The Independent Characters World Tour!"

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Picked up an Imperial Knight last night. I plan to run it with my genestealer cult. I wanted to make it a bit more Tyranid. I figured the head was a good place to do this. Turns out Imperial Knights and Carnifexes have the same sized heads.

YESSSSS

Exinos posted:

A ripsword if you will.

This guy gets it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Exinos posted:

Clearly rippers would used better as replacement teeth on the giant chainsword.

A ripsword if you will.
Jervis, hire this man.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I have a whole bin full of tyranid bits. I intend to make use of it on this thing. Now if only I had transfer sheets of Tyranid iconography.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Contemptor dreadnoughts are so much better than the normal dread nought it's not even funny. I'd just use them instead of a normal dreadnought.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

The Contemptor dreadnoughts are so much better than the normal dread nought it's not even funny. I'd just use them instead of a normal dreadnought.
It's almost like they came out almost a decade after the plastic Dreadnought kit and cost more money. I really love em though, I'll add one to my Iron Warriors someday.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

It's almost like they came out almost a decade after the plastic Dreadnought kit and cost more money. I really love em though, I'll add one to my Iron Warriors someday.

Nah, the whole aesthetic is better. The space wolf dread is a brand new kit and it's great and all but it's still a box on stumpy little legs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The regularly dreadnought looks like it waddles like a fat man with tiny legs, the Helbrute is the same way. I've always thought it looked comical. I dunno I am really hoping they make a "chaosy" one.

Also I think it's hilarious that the Forgeworld custom Chaos Dreadnoughts are actually cheaper than Gamesworkshop's Helbrute. It's like 10 dollars cheaper.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 6, 2014

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
The Contemptor is an improvement but something about its shape looks off to me, like an egg with legs. The regular dreadnought would be fine with a different set of legs, especially backwards-canted ones.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It may be the pose.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Chaos/CHAOS_DREADNOUGHTS_AND_WALKERS?filter_reset=1

Has a good line up of the dreadnoughts they make and then the Contemptor pattern, I think they're a good bit bigger than a normal dreadnought.

The Forgeworld dreadnoughts are just slightly different than the GW ones. By just a little bit you can see it in the feet and lower half of the dreadnought it's not "squashed" it's more spread out.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Dreadnought

and their Space Wolves MKV

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Dreadnoughts/SPACE-WOLVES-VENERABLE-DREADNOUGHT.html

Also cheaper than the Space Wolves dreadnought.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Wolves-Venerable-Dreadnought

Honestly, people talk about Forgeworld prices but some of their stuff is relatively not expensive comparably to GW. Although that Axe and Stormshielf are pretty crazy awesome.

Also what the hell is this

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Munitorum-Chainswords-eBook-Edition

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 6, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

Honestly, people talk about Forgeworld prices but some of their stuff is relatively not expensive comparably to GW. Although that Axe and Stormshielf are pretty crazy awesome.
This is a true fact. However, Dreadnoughts end up being more expensive through Forgeworld once you factor in the arms you have to buy and such.

Cataphract posted:

Nah, the whole aesthetic is better. The space wolf dread is a brand new kit and it's great and all but it's still a box on stumpy little legs.
It is a more appealing aesthetic, but the old plastic Dreadnought kit is pretty drat simple in comparison. I still love the walking dishwasher Dreadnoughts though, even if they look stumpy next to Contemptors.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SRM posted:

This is a true fact. However, Dreadnoughts end up being more expensive through Forgeworld once you factor in the arms you have to buy and such.

It is a more appealing aesthetic, but the old plastic Dreadnought kit is pretty drat simple in comparison. I still love the walking dishwasher Dreadnoughts though, even if they look stumpy next to Contemptors.

All of the Forgeworld Dreadnoughts can have normal non forgeworld Dreadnought arms on them which are relatively cheap bits.

Plus it's like 10 dollars more I think.

But yeah, some of Forgeworld's stuff is actually really decently priced. People see the pounds sign but really it's not that much more.

Forgeworld dreadnoughts are slightly bigger in the legs than GW dreadnoughts and have the forward facing toes.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
The contemptor is a pretty rad callback to the rogue trader egg-dreads though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Karl Rove posted:

The Contemptor is an improvement but something about its shape looks off to me, like an egg with legs. The regular dreadnought would be fine with a different set of legs, especially backwards-canted ones.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I actually kind of preferred the smaller scale of the RT era dreadnoughts, though. Among other things, they made more sense in terms of being a replacement body.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I should sell my rt one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of like the Rogue Trader dreadnoughts if only because of the shark mouth people put on them. Also, they'd make good Centurions or whatever they are called.

I actually like most of the Rogue Trader stuff because stylistically it was patterned after Judge Dredd and AD 2000 comic book stuff and their version of the future so I loving love it.

If you appreciate the AD2000 comics and Judge Dredd stuff their miniatures are loving fantastic.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 6, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

Me too. I feel like it nails iron-lung-with-legs-and-armor in a way the MkIV and Contemptor stuff doesn't. The FW stuff is cool (and odds are very high I'll buy a FW dread eventually), it just doesn't feel creepy/macabre/sad to me in the way the old GW MkVs do.

Devlan Mud posted:

The contemptor is a pretty rad callback to the rogue trader egg-dreads though.

Wow, I never made that connection before. That's really cool. I'd seen those RT models but I didn't realize they were dreadnoughts.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

I kind of like the Rogue Trader dreadnoughts if only because of the shark mouth people put on them. Also, they'd make good Centurions or whatever they are called.

I actually like most of the Rogue Trader stuff because stylistically it was patterned after Judge Dredd and AD 2000 comic book stuff and their version of the future so I loving love it.

If you appreciate the AD2000 comics and Judge Dredd stuff their miniatures are loving fantastic.

Oh man, Eggnoughts would make for great Centurions. I bet they're a similar size to boot.

Time to scour ebay I guess.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

Master Twig posted:

40k as gently caress.

Man, I'd love to see a Genestealer cult ruleset. Even a digital only would do the trick. And the limo...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only thing we can hope is that Forgeworld get's a bug up it's rear end to make Genestealer cult or a Lost and the Damned style book. It's not really likely though.

Also, I don't think Genestealer cult has been a thing for like 10 years, I remember playing against that army in 2nd edition. I think the only requirement for getting vehicles was " Paint them Genestealer cult colours".

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Cross posting from Fantasy thread:

I'm going to be in San Francisco next weekend, and I was wondering if anybody knows of any must see hobby stores. I play both Fantasy and 40k, so I'm really looking for anything with good deals, cool terrain, friendly folks to chat with, awesome display paint jobs etc. I'm not entirely sure where we are staying, but I will be able to go just about anywhere on Saturday the 13th, and would love to see some cool hobby shops if I can convince the rest of my travel party to go to one.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

The only thing we can hope is that Forgeworld get's a bug up it's rear end to make Genestealer cult or a Lost and the Damned style book. It's not really likely though.

Also, I don't think Genestealer cult has been a thing for like 10 years, I remember playing against that army in 2nd edition. I think the only requirement for getting vehicles was " Paint them Genestealer cult colours".
The next FW book includes, I understand, vehicles of the Lost and the Damned, so there is hope for that.

As for Genestealer cult, the general thing I've seen done is just IG with either allied Tyranids or Genestealers working as some sort of counts-as. I like them as Deathcult Assassins, myself, with the Magus represented by the Inquisitor. You generally just paint up IG and give them conversions - the look is what make Genestealer Cult stand out in my eyes, anyways.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh man, Eggnoughts would make for great Centurions. I bet they're a similar size to boot.

Time to scour ebay I guess.
I thought of using the old Imperial Robots as Centurions, since Eggnoughts and metal Dreadnoughts could cause confusion for people playing against my retro Ultramarines. I still think it's a pretty good counts-as though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

SRM posted:

I thought of using the old Imperial Robots as Centurions

What do these look like? Throwing in some old school flavor sounds like an interesting possibility for my AdMech.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 6, 2014

• Locked thread