Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tviolet
May 20, 2004

tviolet fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I don't think it's from moving further, the motions stay the same for me, I think it's the weight and inflexibility of some of the heavier yarns. I've also had issues with chained cotton yarn that has very little give. The hat I made went very quickly though, so I guess just take it easy the first few rows and see how you react? I was seriously surprised at how much pain I was in after a 'normal' session of knitting, and it took a few days out of my holiday knitting schedule.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
It's really weird that you guys say that - in the past I've tried knitting with "normal" sized yarn and found that it killed my hands and wrists (genetic screwy unlas that are too short, repetitive motions cause me to want to chop my hands off). Recently I decided to maybe try again, and used a heaver weight yarn (Cascade 128 superwash - not greatly bulky but still a little bigger than normal) and actually found it much easier than before.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The bulk of the yarn's never been an issue for me (I made a scarf out of that gigantic diameter designer stuff years ago), but a yarn without any give kills my wrists. The way I knit requires the yarn to stretch a bit, apparently. Using needles that give a looser gauge helps, but I still avoid most projects with non-stretchy yarn.

Looks like you have several variables to test out!

tviolet
May 20, 2004

Oh I love bulky yarn. I did this very very simple garter scarf in a couple of hours, about 4 years ago, and I still wear it every winter :

It's huge, about 10 inches by Forever, and I used a Mary Maxim Chunky Baby Alpaca yarn, not 100% alpaca if I remember. However, it seems to be discontinued. If you guys know about a bulky Alpaca yarn mix that is not too expensive, please share! This poo poo is amazeball in very cold climate.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Wellp, while in the process of trying to untangle some of the mess of the Mystery Yarn, it turns out that buried deep within there was, in fact, a small tag. Mystery solved! It's Candide 100% virgin wool - totally vintage according to Ravelry. I know I've had it for at least 10 years... No clue on how old it /actually/ is.

I started nalbinding a little bag out if it before I found the tag. I can't really decide if it would be better in the knitting or the crochet thread, since technically it's nothing like either... So, in lieu of making a second post, the Dumpy Yarn Bag featuring a small band of handspun wolf fur.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So I've been working on my ten-stitch blanket, which has become huge and unwieldy and now gets worked on while at work before things start happening, but there've been a few road trips so I've been working on some smaller projects in the meantime:

On a road trip to a Morris dancing event I decided to start putting together a knitted Vampyroteuthis infernalis, which is the coolest cephalopod in the world. Behold its adorable weirdness:

The Ravelry page is here for those who will be as happy to find a pattern for one of these as I was.

This past weekend while at a different Morris dancing thing I started putting together a dice bag so my dice aren't mixed promiscuously in with my girlfriend's dice, and also because I could use up some left-over yarn. I've never tried making something circular from the closed end of the circle before, or cables in the round, but so far I have this:

It looks a bit like a deflated cabled green breast, but once it's done and filled with dice I'm sure it'll look less awful.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am about 2/3 done with a pullover sweater and into the sleeves with DPNs. Man, I hate DPNs. I decided to order a 12" set of size 9 circs so next time I can wait longer until the torture of DPNs hits me. I don't like magic loop either, so I am guessing I will not try socks for a long, long time.

While looking for tips on how not to hate DPNs so much, I came along a link to some really affordable yarn on Ravelry.
https://www.springwools.com/index.php/buy-irish.html
Apparently they ship for $5 worldwide? Has anyone ordered from these people before? I am having a really hard time not ordering 3500 yards of aran weight wool for $100 and knitting my whole family dorky matching sweaters.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Always always always read Rav comments on the yarn and on individual projects. It may be cheap, but looking at the comments, it's itchy, and it fades and pills quickly. Not 100% of people have had that experience, but it's high enough I wouldn't go there. If you must try, I would buy one skein from a destash, knit that, have it around for a little while, and see how I liked it.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I wouldn't buy that aran yarn as on close up pictures it looks like a single ply and that will pill like crazy on things like jumpers. A yarn like that is only good for hats and scarves.

If you are looking to buy coned yarns then I would recommend Colourmart. Postage is included in their prices, yes their website is poo poo and their new one even shittier, but the customer service is ace and you can lots of impressions of the yarns on the Ravelry page.

The reason why it is cheap is because it is on a cone, for commercial knitting machine use and is oiled. You must swatch first if you use a coned yarn since the yarn can shrink/expand after you wash the oils off.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 6, 2014

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah, I thought it would be too good to be true. And really, I would rather spend $100 to buy like half a sweater's worth of Tosh pashmina or something. It's just hard to explain that to my husband - why would I make a $150 sweater when I can buy like 6 at Target for that much?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think there's anything you could knit for cheaper than you could buy it at Walmart. That doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

- For me the huge plus of knitting is customization. I want something that's exactly the right color, right length, fits all my weird measurements, has cables exactly where they're most flattering, etc. Good luck finding any of that in a store.
- Your knit sweater might be merino, cashmere, and nylon, or alpaca, or whatever. You definitely can't get that at Target. Your sweater there will be acrylic, or acrylic with a little wool, and thin, and prone to coming apart after a couple washes.
- It's not just about the end result, it's mostly about the hours of amusement. Look at it that way and it's cheaper than movies, books, video games, music, etc.

I totally agree if you're going to put that much time and effort into it, it's worth buying the best material you can so it holds up.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I agree with all of those points; it's just hard to justify that initial expense sometimes, especially because we are moving and need to save every penny. It doesn't help that I only want to knit sweaters, sweaters, sweaters.

Here is what I'm working on, in Valley Yarns Northampton. I'm doing a throwback Vikings jersey type sweater. Next I plan on making my husband a sweater vest in some nice cheap Patons. I guess I can use that as a catalyst too - if he likes it, I'll need to make one in at least a superwash so he can wear it more often.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I finally finished and blocked my Orchid Cowl, it has 4 repeats and wider than the original pattern. It's 100% silk so kind of stretches when I take it off at night, so I fold it back up and pull it widthwise a bit to "block it" again.

Uh I should probably take that photo again with a real camera

Also made some stripey socks with Crazy Zauberball.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Struggling to find a dress pattern I like in my size. How insane am I to want to design my own?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Depends if you're looking for a large or a small size. Hand knit giant things tend to sag and get scary pretty quick so I'd be way too timid to hand-knit something for a plus size.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Anything with a lot of knitting is going to sag. To help keep it in shape, take a few pages out of the fashion industry's playbook:

• Use a very fine gauge and a very lightweight yarn
  • Introduce stabilizing elements-- cables/ribs (but be careful of the weight!), seams, panels of non-knitted fabric, belts, straps, etc
  • Use the inevitable sag to your advantage, and take away some weight by using lace stitch patterns
  • Make sure the yarn is a sproingy one. This is not the time for silk or cotton, this is the time for merino.
  • Elastic thread can help a little on the horizontal stretch, but will not work very well for the vertical stretch problem.

Also, consider separates that you can wear together as a dress-- this will decrease the amount of weight each knitted stitch will have to carry, and can give you even better sizing customization with fewer calculations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
My first FO in ages- a Baktus scarf knitted from some Kureyon I bought several years ago, balled immediately and lost the ball bands right after. I went into this having no idea what colors were jawbreakered inside, and I think it came out pretty good!

It's a bit shorter than I would have liked, but them's the breaks when you're stashbusting.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
That scarf is awesome! I love the tassles.

I just saw this sock drawer posted on fb Knitting group and I really want to do this

I can do a pair of ankle socks ~20 hours of knitting or more like 7-10 days, a full sock drawer will be like 2 years of knitting.... I have 3 pairs of socks so far :smith:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

jomiel posted:

That scarf is awesome! I love the tassles.

I just saw this sock drawer posted on fb Knitting group and I really want to do this

I can do a pair of ankle socks ~20 hours of knitting or more like 7-10 days, a full sock drawer will be like 2 years of knitting.... I have 3 pairs of socks so far :smith:

I've never finished even a single sock, I've had half a Monkey sitting in my project bag for aaaaages :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've made a couple pairs of yoga socks, does that count?

And speaking of socks, there's a new Knitty today. Normally I find at least one or two things I kind of like even if I have no intention of making them, but not this time. Everything is terrible. :sigh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I usually get a pair of long-legged socks done in about 3-4 months. That drawer would represent years of knitting for me!

Re: new Knitty. I sort of like Krydda (rav link), but the way the lace panels are shaped would have to change for me. Especially in the back. It would look like arrows pointing at my booty.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Normally I won't say poo poo about the models the designers use in Knitty. I think it's great that 'real' people are used, sometimes it's difficult to see what a finished object looks like, but sooner or later more pictures will jump up on Ravelry. But the 'cover photo' is annoying me. You can barely see the knitting, and she just looks like that person who comes up and talks to you while you're trying to get something done and bitches about people reading everything on Kindles and "ruining the written word".

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I added the Mirror sock to my queue and the octopus is really cool!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I like the twist again minus the bobbles. I hate bobbles- I find them highly unattractive. The octopus is really neat if you're into that kind of thing, but I'd probably never make one myself.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
The venetian blind thing looks like a cat got in my fiber stash, ate as much as it could, threw up, then I spun the resulting vomit batt into a skein, which the cat chewed on, and then I decided to knit it into a sweater but ran out of yarn before I got to the arms and torso so I said gently caress it and bound off and took a picture.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I actually like the style of the connectivity gloves. But then I looked up the silverspun yarn it uses and I was not prepared for that level of crazy.

Also Octo is adorable and there is no way in hell I'll ever knit it.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I actually like the style of the connectivity gloves. But then I looked up the silverspun yarn it uses and I was not prepared for that level of crazy.

I've knit the octopus from the amigurami knits book and it was fairly straightforward. Octo looks like it's not much different.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Is it just me or is Knitty getting more and more hipster? Octo is very cute though.

Ive been knitting for about two years now. I've knit dozens of cable patterns, including a tunic covered in them. Tonight while looking at the chart for my next cabled project, I figured out how to read cable stitches in a chart without constantly referring back to the stitch key. It's right there in the loving chart. :downs:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Wandering Knitter posted:

:wtc: COTTON and silver? Why cotton? It is not nearly as warm as wool... I live in Seattle, those fingers would get soaked through in minutes and be useless for actually keeping your hands warm while you use your phone.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Plus there already was a pair of gloves I think last year that were the same basic concept, just plain gloves with conductive thread knitted into the fingers.

Knitty hasn't really impressed me for a few years at this point. It's all the same basic shawls, a couple of women's tops, a sort of boring men's sweater if we're lucky, and a few colorful socks, and then one really oddball thing that looks fun.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
I mean I get offering cotton too, lots of people are allegic to wool, or live in areas where it would be cold but dry. But wool would be a no-brainer here... Pretty much the only use for this super expensive yarn is glove tips.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They used to claim it was totally tarnishproof, which is obviously 100% bullshit, but apparently the lawyers got to them on that one. The way they're advertising it as a cure-all (totally not a medicine WINK WINK!!) is really gross and awful. Literally preying on old ladies and scamming them for poo poo. I'm all for conductive gloves, but man, gently caress SilverSpun. I should go through their stuff and find actionable claims we can report to the FDA.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Wait what :psyduck:...

(from the Kickstarter page)

That is disgusting.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Silver does have some use as an antimicrobial substance, but it's limited to whatever comes in contact with it. (The Ag+ ion readily interacts with biological molecules, so it's used in things like wound dressings a lot. Here's one review article; you can search PubMed for lots more.)

However, that company is full of bullshit. I hate those companies.

Also can't you just buy some conductive thread (anywhere from $2-$6 per 30ft) and weave that in/hold it with your yarn on the glove tips? There's even an Instructable on harvesting your own out of old power cords.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

They used to claim it was totally tarnishproof, which is obviously 100% bullshit, but apparently the lawyers got to them on that one. The way they're advertising it as a cure-all (totally not a medicine WINK WINK!!) is really gross and awful. Literally preying on old ladies and scamming them for poo poo. I'm all for conductive gloves, but man, gently caress SilverSpun. I should go through their stuff and find actionable claims we can report to the FDA.

I didn't even think about it tarnishing! I was focused more on having thin threads of silver poking into my skin or maybe it flaking out of the glove through day-to-day use.

Harvey
Jul 8, 2004

Cat Whisperer

That drat Satyr posted:

Wellp, while in the process of trying to untangle some of the mess of the Mystery Yarn, it turns out that buried deep within there was, in fact, a small tag. Mystery solved! It's Candide 100% virgin wool - totally vintage according to Ravelry. I know I've had it for at least 10 years... No clue on how old it /actually/ is.

I started nalbinding a little bag out if it before I found the tag. I can't really decide if it would be better in the knitting or the crochet thread, since technically it's nothing like either... So, in lieu of making a second post, the Dumpy Yarn Bag featuring a small band of handspun wolf fur.

Sorry, this is from a little while back, but I just spotted your post. I would really like to learn nalbinding, so if you don't mind, I'm really curious- how you learned, how has the process been going for you, & if you have any resources on the subject you could recommend for learning & tips (books, websites, youtube videos)?

In a separate matter, I've got a magic loop-related issue.

I'm pretty good when it comes to using DPNs, & I just started making socks last year. It's been going well with the exception that I get a pretty gnarly laddering problem between needles 3 & 1, no matter how tightly I pull the yarn when going from the one to the other. This has made me want to learn magic loop purely for socks. With that in mind, I impulsively went ahead & picked up some long sizes 1 & 2 ChiaoGoo red lace circulars off Amazon. Shortly afterwards, I remember seeing some posts that mentioned something about the ChiaoGoo needles not really being good for magic loop. When I was trying it out for the first time, it didn't go well- I think the cables seem to be too stiff or something. So now I'm kind of kicking myself. I really need some recommendations for needles good for magic loop. I would of course prefer something more affordable, but price isn't a deal breaker. I do need to be able to buy them piecemeal, so nothing that would require me to buy a whole set just to get the few needles that I want.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I've had really good experiences using Knitter's Pride Dreamz needles for magic loop. Their cables are nice and flexible once you start working them a bit, and if they're a little stiff at first, it's possible to soak the cable itself in boiling water for a couple minutes as someone else suggested earlier in the thread. (Don't let the wooden needles drop in though!)

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Harvey posted:

Sorry, this is from a little while back, but I just spotted your post. I would really like to learn nalbinding, so if you don't mind, I'm really curious- how you learned, how has the process been going for you, & if you have any resources on the subject you could recommend for learning & tips (books, websites, youtube videos)?

I tried for AGES to learn from videos, and it was... very difficult because many times the videos are from one angle, and because of that you don't always see exactly where the needle is going for all of the steps of the stitch. It took finally tracking down someone in person at an event and getting a demonstration before I finally got the hang of it. Whatever you do, don't try and look at the instructions that are drawn - those are just no good at all and will confuse you even more. All of that aside, the most useful videos I /have/ seen are the ones by Neulakintaat on youtube, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Neulakintaat/videos . The easiest stitch to learn is the Oslo stitch, and that's what the bag I posted here is done in. The Neulakintaat video for it is here, and if you get your thread and follow along you should be able to get it on the first few tries if you go slowly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcuUqeKQZ5Q

As for needles for it, traditionally it's done with bigger needles from what I understand, and I started out with some needles I had carved out of disposable chopsticks. Once I found someone else that did it and got them to show me in person, they showed me the needles they used and it turns out that apparently you can use the very large tapestry needles and do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Harvey posted:

In a separate matter, I've got a magic loop-related issue.

I'm pretty good when it comes to using DPNs, & I just started making socks last year. It's been going well with the exception that I get a pretty gnarly laddering problem between needles 3 & 1, no matter how tightly I pull the yarn when going from the one to the other. This has made me want to learn magic loop purely for socks. With that in mind, I impulsively went ahead & picked up some long sizes 1 & 2 ChiaoGoo red lace circulars off Amazon. Shortly afterwards, I remember seeing some posts that mentioned something about the ChiaoGoo needles not really being good for magic loop. When I was trying it out for the first time, it didn't go well- I think the cables seem to be too stiff or something. So now I'm kind of kicking myself. I really need some recommendations for needles good for magic loop. I would of course prefer something more affordable, but price isn't a deal breaker. I do need to be able to buy them piecemeal, so nothing that would require me to buy a whole set just to get the few needles that I want.

If you can't find Knitter's Pride, Hiya Hiya cables are flexible enough for magic loop.

Also in regards to DPNs--I had that issue until I added another needle (so my work was on 4 needles instead of 3). It helped ease up the tension between the first and last needle which was causing my problem.