Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I wrote an exam Tuesday night and the person beside was mumbling the questions out loud as she was reading. The exam had very detailed cases that you need to concentrate on to get all the minor details so having someone mumbling just loud enough for me to hear every third word makes it hard to focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gonna resurrect this thread because I just started my Masters program for Mechanical Engineering. My ethics professor, who has his law degree and doctorate in Electrical Engineering, isn't as smart as I would expect someone of his degree to be. He can't pronounce anything that he's reading straight off the slides. He asked the class what religion everyone was (regarding ethics), and when he asked who was Muslim, said he had "a lot of Muslim friends" so he could pronounce things "correctly". He's not wrong about most things, but his first example of an unethical thing was abortion and says that "most of you in the room don't think fetuses aren't human". It's pretty frustrating. Also, he inherited the class from another professor last year and still hasn't changed the examples in the slides to stuff that applies to him.

Mr E has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Aug 26, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's a new year starting up, so I'll just get this one out of the way.

loving. Textbooks.

I have a course that has a mandatory $220 book because it comes with a data set CD that we'll be using. I usually get away with not buying them, and just going to the library when I have to, but this time, not so much. It's about half the price of the most expensive textbook I've seen so far, but still. It makes me cranky.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
gently caress parking. gently caress you faculty/staff that buy f/s parking passes for your kids. I hate having to come into work over an hour earlier than my shift just so I can drive around forever looking for a parking spot.

Its terrible for the students too. Build a parking garage you idiots instead of spending a few million on new signs. :argh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, from the university where I work: gently caress you parking services for telling students they're allowed to park in the 24/7 staff only lots "because nobody checks that." We sure as hell notice when the staff lots are packed full of student cars, and every time they claim parking services told them they could.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Cage posted:

gently caress parking. gently caress you faculty/staff that buy f/s parking passes for your kids. I hate having to come into work over an hour earlier than my shift just so I can drive around forever looking for a parking spot.

Its terrible for the students too. Build a parking garage you idiots instead of spending a few million on new signs. :argh:

Ah gently caress, this post just reminded me that I forgot to get parking early this year. Now I'm going to be stuck in the gravel lot a kilometer away from campus again. :argh:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Cythereal posted:

Also, from the university where I work: gently caress you parking services for telling students they're allowed to park in the 24/7 staff only lots "because nobody checks that." We sure as hell notice when the staff lots are packed full of student cars, and every time they claim parking services told them they could.

Also gently caress holding a conference on campus that brings in so many cars that you start letting them park in the main student lot, leaving students only able to park in the old lot that's been left without maintenance for so long the asphalt has buckled, stands a quarter-mile hike from the nearest building (which is the on-campus apartments, not even a classroom building), and has zero lights. Oh wait, and not even having any of them use the visitor lot, where students with parking tags will get ticketed.

Three times in one year.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm not a driver, I bike or bus, but my friends have mentioned that my university sells more parking pass than there are stalls with the assumption that not everyone is there everyday, so it should work out!

It doesn't.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm not a driver, I bike or bus, but my friends have mentioned that my university sells more parking pass than there are stalls with the assumption that not everyone is there everyday, so it should work out!

It doesn't.

It slowly gets better every week as people stop showing up. I managed to snag the second to last spot, in the furthest school parking lot in a very shady area of town. I'd take a bus, but it's a 3 mile walk from my house to the closest bus stop and I have a child to take to school as well.

I loving hate group projects, but I have a special hatred for a class based on group projects in the CompSci program. I don't want to try to work with creepy 19 year old anime boy who is afraid to speak or 53 year old bachelor with a ponytail who argues about everything. If you're in a group, just do your loving work!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

the visitor lot, where students with parking tags will get ticketed.

gently caress this. The school I did my undergrad degree at pulled this poo poo. Tiny, oversold lots for commuter students and gigantic metered lots for "visitors" (read: anyone without a student decal), and you get slammed with a $65 ticket if you park in the big empty visitor lot with a student decal. And, of course, the decals are permanent, so there's no taking it off for the afternoon if you're forced to use the meters.

Why can't universities figure this poo poo out? They shouldn't oversell lots period, especially because they're going to lose a percentage of their spaces right out of the gate to people using them without permits, parking like idiots, etc.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Last year I saw someone in a heavy traffic student lot who had double-parked and then left their car for weeks. The last time I remembered to look, they had five sun-bleached tickets on their windshield.

Edit for complaint: Today I was supposed to start a three hour long evening class, and the professor neglected to put the syllabus up until this morning. It's obvious why: despite the class only fulfilling an elective credit, she deducts a full letter grade for each absence after the first, has a TA patrol the classroom and dock points if you are using an electronic device, takes attendance at the start of class and after the break, and requires 20 volunteer hours with a political group. I've never dropped a class so quickly. gently caress that bullshit, I'm a loving adult and don't need to be micromanaged.

Hummingbirds has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Aug 27, 2014

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Hummingbirds posted:

Last year I saw someone in a heavy traffic student lot who had double-parked and then left their car for weeks. The last time I remembered to look, they had five sun-bleached tickets on their windshield.

Edit for complaint: Today I was supposed to start a three hour long evening class, and the professor neglected to put the syllabus up until this morning. It's obvious why: despite the class only fulfilling an elective credit, she deducts a full letter grade for each absence after the first, has a TA patrol the classroom and dock points if you are using an electronic device, takes attendance at the start of class and after the break, and requires 20 volunteer hours with a political group. I've never dropped a class so quickly. gently caress that bullshit, I'm a loving adult and don't need to be micromanaged.

Haha I had a community college professor who was kind of like that. It was a state politics class I took for one of my liberal arts requirements. She had seats reserved in front of the class for people who were late, and if you were you had to fill out a form and give it to her. And this was if you were even a minute late for class. One time one of my classmates was late and decided to chew out the professor for her dumb policy. So my professor called security and cried.

Thank god it was only a half semester course.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Why can't universities figure this poo poo out? They shouldn't oversell lots period

Not everyone is there at the same time. It's not like an airplane flight where they overbook.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Why shouldn't they? You still bought the stupid thing despite it being a garbage deal.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
My school just decided to build a new dorm on top of the biggest parking lot on campus. :v: The second largest lot is for the dorm that holds mostly freshmen, who aren't allowed a car on campus.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I've spent the last four months or so preparing for my senior paper in English. I expected I would have to fight tooth and nail to get my topic cleared. Instead I got the new professor who's cool with basically anything and I didn't have to fight even a little. I'm both immensely relieved and a little disappointed.

The professor in charge of my subsection within the English department (Creative Writing and Contemporary Literature) is, in the nicest possible terms, a bipolar nutcase. When I was a freshman this bothered me. Now I just find it funny and a little sad. If he gets too angry in a given class period he'll explode, rant, and give an anger quiz, which is a pop quiz with vitriol. He never really means what he says, he's just lashing out at anything he can wrap his brain around. The obvious divide in classmates who get highly offended and want to get his tenure revoked and classmates who are somewhere along the scale of not taking it personally is the quickest gauge of how many classes a given student has had with this professor as well as how observant/tolerant they are of obvious mental health issues. I don't talk much to that second category of people.

GabrielAisling has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Aug 31, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

My school just decided to build a new dorm on top of the biggest parking lot on campus. :v:

My alma mater recently did this too; they built a new low-rise "Greek village" and a Honors College-only dorm on the biggest commuter lot, and leased some gravel lot half a mile away as a replacement. What's ridiculous is that now none of the frats actually want to use their new residences, because they'd rather stay in their lovely off-campus flophouses and not have to worry about following Residence Life's rules.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

How the hell do I go to a school where even though there's more girls than men, everyone has a boyfriend? :sigh:

That's probably my only complaint about this place, everything else owns bones. Gonna go rockclimbing here in a bit :toot:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I could have complained earlier in the year about the state of Idaho passing a law allowing concealed carry on campuses, against the pleas of 'every god drat credible person on the matter' but now it's kind of funny.

quote:

An instructor was wounded in the foot after his concealed handgun discharged in a classroom at the Physical Science Complex on the Idaho State University campus at about 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Pocatello police received a call of a shot fired on campus and responded to the Physical Science Complex where they discovered the wounded instructor, according to Pocatello police public information officer Lt. Paul Manning. There were other people present when the gun discharged.

“It was in his pocket,” Manning said. “He did have an enhanced concealed carry permit.”

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A White Guy posted:

How the hell do I go to a school where even though there's more girls than men, everyone has a boyfriend? :sigh:

That's probably my only complaint about this place, everything else owns bones. Gonna go rockclimbing here in a bit :toot:

I'm at a university that has somewhere in the realm of a 70/30 m/f split and it's the same story here. The pattern, however, seems to be that the nice, well adjusted women have boyfriends and get them quickly, while the crazier ones don't.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

gently caress accepting 80,000 people and having nowhere near enough room for them. gently caress your walk-only zones not being 24 hours because the bikers on campus are assholes and skateboards are horseshit. gently caress your overcrowded, no AC shuttles in August in loving Arizona. gently caress your new $75 fee to build a new football stadium. At least my department is good.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

gently caress accepting 80,000 people and having nowhere near enough room for them.

80,000 students on one campus? Is it the size of a small town or something?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Kavak posted:

80,000 students on one campus? Is it the size of a small town or something?

Yes it is, but even that isn't enough. It is a large state university.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

KiteAuraan posted:

Yes it is, but even that isn't enough. It is a large state university.

You must be referring to ASU, the largest non-primarily-online university in the country. There are only 58,000 kids on the Tempe campus though, even if total enrollment caps 80,000.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KiteAuraan posted:

bikers on campus are assholes and skateboards are horseshit

These are constants across all state universities. Anywhere you go, you can expect these two facts to be true, and also to see a guy playing an acoustic guitar somewhere out in public, likely on the steps to a building, or on a picnic table out in front of the dorms where everyone can see/hear him.

College being back in session brings out the crotchety old man in me, I guess.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

against the pleas of 'every god drat credible person on the matter'

Only if you ignore the fact that other states have allowed the same thing for around a decade and it hasn't made things as unsafe like 'every god drat credible person on the matter' that doesn't actually look at the facts wants you to believe.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Maybe I lucked out but at the college I go to skateboards are rarely seen and all the people that ride bikes around are pretty swell about it. The parking, however, can be a damned nightmare, worse in that the school took out one of the commuter lots to build new student housing, has been actively destroying the creative arts departments in the name of "financial responsibility," and has been jacking the price of everything up really really hard. Meals in our cafeteria have gone up like two dollars if you pay out of pocket.

Speaking of which...gently caress meal plans. gently caress them. I did the math and it's a hideous scam.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

A White Guy posted:

Gonna make the twin assumptions that a) You're at Bennington, and b) you haven't figured out that "everyone has a boyfriend" means either "I'm a freshman still clinging to my high-school boyfriend for the first semester" or "ew why is this creepy dude hitting on me, maybe if I say I have a boyfriend he'll back off".

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Hey idiots, when the syllabus says not to play lovely flash games in the lecture hall of our three hour night class maybe you should not play annoying, flickering MS paint abominations that get stuck in the corner of my peripheral vision. And you know it's wrong, rear end in a top hat, because every time the professor walks up the aisle you tab out so he won't see it. loving pre-major classes are going to tear me apart with the sheer idiocy of half my peers. :argh: It's a party college but as soon as I get into my major's classes the number of dweebs squandering their education will decrease.

After hearing all these horror stories about gross dormitories, terrible roommates, and gouging meal plans I feel much better about paying less money to live at home in my university town.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AmiYumi posted:

Gonna make the twin assumptions that a) You're at Bennington, and b) you haven't figured out that "everyone has a boyfriend" means either "I'm a freshman still clinging to my high-school boyfriend for the first semester" or "ew why is this creepy dude hitting on me, maybe if I say I have a boyfriend he'll back off".

For the first assumption: you hear this at nearly every school you go to, when the reality is that while the ratio is usually skewed a bit in favor of women to men, it's actually closer to 51/49.

That second one, though, is dead on, in both parts. Stop being creepy and get the gently caress out there and make freshmen forget their highschool SO's, playa :whatup:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

AmiYumi posted:

A) Actually not benington thankfully. B) Yes, there's a lot of the former. My roomie still has a 'girlfriend' back home but he flat out told me that he's trying to get girls here. I really don't know why freshman go to college and don't just snap it off when they leave. It's going to happen eventually either way, loving woman/man up and do it.

And it's less of me being a creepy,fat goon and more of the fact that the girls that I see/talk to end up walking by me at some point in the day with their arm around some other dude. It's a tiny campus(8k people) compared to your guy's ludicrously huge 80k schools.

Boiled Water posted:

I'm at a university that has somewhere in the realm of a 70/30 m/f split and it's the same story here. The pattern, however, seems to be that the nice, well adjusted women have boyfriends and get them quickly, while the crazier ones don't.

100% agreed. The nice, well adjusted ones get picked up quiiiiiick, while the crazy and the fat/both languish in the wind. It's good to know that when that feeling of utter desperation sets in, there's at least light at the end of the tunnel :unsmith:.

How Rude posted:

After hearing all these horror stories about gross dormitories, terrible roommates, and gouging meal plans I feel much better about paying less money to live at home in my university town.

Dude, get out of your home town and gooooo. I went to a school that's a 14 hour drive from home and now I'm a strong, independent black woman 'real' adult.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

A) Actually not benington thankfully. B) Yes, there's a lot of the former. My roomie still has a 'girlfriend' back home but he flat out told me that he's trying to get girls here. I really don't know why freshman go to college and don't just snap it off when they leave. It's going to happen eventually either way, loving woman/man up and do it.

It's an easy age to get into the trap idea that you have One Love of Your Life and if you gently caress it up you lose it forever. Marrying your high school sweetheart is considered a good thing while having sex with a lot of people over time is considered a bad thing. It's a common belief that if it's True Love it will survive distance. 18 year old humans are also generally pretty inexperienced and stupid.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOl4n_F9ZA

Why on earth would any college think this is a good idea to post. Why.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

A White Guy posted:

Dude, get out of your home town and gooooo. I went to a school that's a 14 hour drive from home and now I'm a strong, independent black woman 'real' adult.

I'm doing the sensible thing and saving myself 3000 dollars of debt a year. My relationship with my parents isn't awful at all, I never had a stereotypical "rebellious teen" phase in my life so far, so what's the point. I have friends who still live in the area, too, so I really don't see the point in spending more money and time than I need.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

How Rude posted:

I'm doing the sensible thing and saving myself 3000 dollars of debt a year. My relationship with my parents isn't awful at all, I never had a stereotypical "rebellious teen" phase in my life so far, so what's the point. I have friends who still live in the area, too, so I really don't see the point in spending more money and time than I need.

Get out of the basement and go do poo poo on your own, dude. I can't tell if you're trolling, but if you're not, I hope that next semester you'll give your parents a big kiss and tell them you need to go find your own way while you're in college. Immerse yourself in the experience while you can.

Wake up on the floor of some random apartment with a massive hangover.

Stress out because some cutie wrote a phone number on your hand and you washed it off by accident.

Throw a huge party in your apartment, then talk yourself out of a noise violation ticket at 3:00 A.M.

Learn to cook for yourself.

You can be sensible while still drinking in the college experience. It's pretty much your last shot before ~adulthood~ to behave like a buffoon and be able to laugh it off.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Get out of the basement and go do poo poo on your own, dude. I can't tell if you're trolling, but if you're not, I hope that next semester you'll give your parents a big kiss and tell them you need to go find your own way while you're in college. Immerse yourself in the experience while you can.

Stress out because some cutie wrote a phone number on your hand and you washed it off by accident.

Throw a huge party in your apartment, then talk yourself out of a noise violation ticket at 3:00 A.M.

You can be sensible while still drinking in the college experience. It's pretty much your last shot before ~adulthood~ to behave like a buffoon and be able to laugh it off.

Seriously, even if you do go to school at your home town, live out on your own. Just because you save money doesn't mean you won't regret it later.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
gently caress that, stay at home. Save money, get yourself a nice place after you finish college. Learn to cook for your parents in the meantime. :3:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mr E posted:

Seriously, even if you do go to school at your home town, live out on your own. Just because you save money doesn't mean you won't regret it later.

Life isn't a movie. Anyone who regrets not having more debt when they graduate is retarded. You can get stupid drunk and gently caress weird girls and go home to your comfy bed without awful roommates stealing your poo poo just the same if you have a comfortable relationship with your parents.

Normal people did most of the poo poo in the post you quoted in high school. It's dumb to do it when you're spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. I believe you people are the ones who watch too many terrible movies and use the phrase v card.

Ariza has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 5, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I....what?

Ariza posted:

Life isn't a movie. Anyone who regrets not having more debt when they graduate is retarded. You can get stupid drunk and gently caress weird girls and go home to your comfy bed without awful roommates stealing your poo poo just the same if you have a comfortable relationship with your parents.

Normal people did most of the poo poo in the post you quoted in high school. It's dumb to do it when you're spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. I believe you people are the ones who watch too many terrible movies and use the phrase v card.

This exactly.
I don't have money. At all. I'm broke and going to college on financial aid and my parents are letting me live for free (they also do not have a lot of money) so that I'm not in thirty thousand dollars of debt because my older sister did exactly as you guys are telling me to do.

How Rude has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm an adult who attends college classes, and I make a buffoon of myself and laugh it off on a regular basis.

• Locked thread