Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Nar, I have an ipod/pad/phone, im just not fond of their "$1200 for a computer that requires specific replacement parts at 5 time the price, that is only as useful as a $500 window machine" scam they are so keen on.

Yeah I have that reaction as well, but I recently bought a base model MBA and its specs make it sound like it should be barely a step up from my phone but it actually does a smoother job at nearly everything I throw at it short of rendering HD video and large panoramas (and maybe playing video games?) than my ridiculous desktop. And it does this for like 15 hours without plugging in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itsjustdrew posted:

Is there a difference between foil and rotary shavers in performance? Short and simple, just looking for pros and cons.

Rotaries are better but more expensive, foil are shite but cheap.

They are bad because they don't get a close shave.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just received something from amazon and there was no receipt/piece of paper inside the box (as there usually is). The package was opened on the upper side but nothing was stolen, except for that missing piece of paper.

I usually burn those, should I be worried?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I just received something from amazon and there was no receipt/piece of paper inside the box (as there usually is). The package was opened on the upper side but nothing was stolen, except for that missing piece of paper.

I usually burn those, should I be worried?

Yes. A predilection for burning things can be an early indication of anti-social behavior disorder and possibly more serious mental issues. I'd see a psychiatrist.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I burn them because they usually have names and addresses on them :v:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

I burn them because they usually have names and addresses on them :v:

You mean like the outside of the box does? Do you realize your mailman knows where you live?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've been taught thieves collect this kind of papers for reasons (not the mailman or whatever).

Obviously, I'm concerned as to why my package was opened and why this slip of paper was missing.

I can see how this doesn't seem entirely rational.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Kurtofan posted:

I've been taught thieves collect this kind of papers for reasons (not the mailman or whatever).

Obviously, I'm concerned as to why my package was opened and why this slip of paper was missing.

It's good to destroy paperwork with personal information, but names and addresses are considered public information so I wouldn't stress about it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Huntersoninski posted:

It's good to destroy paperwork with personal information, but names and addresses are considered public information so I wouldn't stress about it.

You're right, I guess it's also possible the package got ripped open a bit (it wasn't a big hole and nothing was missing), and that they forgot the packing slip.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 5, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

If you were a thief, how would you possibly use someone's packing slip? I mean, they could have just taken the whole box. Maybe somebody at the facility did a QA spot check and forgot to put the packing slip back. Maybe your package was suspicious somehow and the post office spot-checked it*? I can think of lots of things that are more likely and less (or more, depending on your outlook) frightening than "thieves".

Personally, if I was a thief I'd just hang around university libraries, cafeterias and coffee shops and grab expensive tech that people leave at tables. Why would I bother loving around with mail?

USPS posted:

4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?
First-Class letters and parcels are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class letter or parcel violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant.
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/faq.aspx

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah I realize it sounds silly, it's just that I heard it so often that I can't help but think of the worse.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If someone knows your address they can steal your house, this happened to a friend of mine.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Doesn't that require being absent long enough that they can steal your mail without you noticing?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Now now, Kurtofan's fears are justified because his parents are hippies and they named him after his Social Security number.

In hindsight, this was a poor idea.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He came home from work one day and the whole house was just gone. The cops asked him if he shredded and burned his post after he had read it. When he admitted that sometimes he threw junk mail in the trash they just shook their heads and said there was nothing they could do.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
While I did miss a joke I also once listened to a file on 4 where crims took out mortgages on other people's second homes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

While I did miss a joke I also once listened to a file on 4 where crims took out mortgages on other people's second homes.

Haha stupid crooks. Don't they know they have to pay a higher interest rate than if they took the loan out on the primary residence?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

greazeball posted:

He came home from work one day and the whole house was just gone. The cops asked him if he shredded and burned his post after he had read it. When he admitted that sometimes he threw junk mail in the trash they just shook their heads and said there was nothing they could do.

You know, I'm glad I made a fool of myself on the internet because this is a pretty funny post.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Is Mavis Beacon still considered the standard for typing-teaching software?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
My parents got a call from a "lawyer" saying that my 15 year old niece is in jail for a DWI and injuring another driver. She's currently being held at a juvenile detention center. The guy wants $2000 in money paks right now. My niece made a tweet this morning about some dumb anime she watched last night.

Is this how they scam people now? Wow, what the gently caress is wrong with people.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
My chrome fonts have gone all ugly for no reason. Think I saw a solution in this thread once with someone having the same issue. Not changed any settings, browser not zoomed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

My chrome fonts have gone all ugly for no reason. Think I saw a solution in this thread once with someone having the same issue. Not changed any settings, browser not zoomed.

A new version just came out, and mine is the same way.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Name this exercise! (I'm on a phone or I'd just post a pic)

1. Hold a dumbbell in one hand
2. Hold the weight by your knee
3. Raise it in an arc out and up across your chest and up in the air
4. Movement ends with the weight at roughly head height where it stops
5. Lower weight to step two.

It looks a lot like a cable fly but with a weight, seems to be for the pec or shoulder.

If I'm picturing it right, sounds like a lateral raise.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lord Ephraim posted:

My parents got a call from a "lawyer" saying that my 15 year old niece is in jail for a DWI and injuring another driver. She's currently being held at a juvenile detention center. The guy wants $2000 in money paks right now. My niece made a tweet this morning about some dumb anime she watched last night.

Is this how they scam people now? Wow, what the gently caress is wrong with people.

They have terrible morals. Might be worth 2 minutes of your time to confirm she's okay though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeza posted:

Google put in a Chrome thing called DirectWrite which screws up the font rendering on some sites. To turn it off, go to chrome://flags/#disable-direct-write and select Enable to disable it. (Yeah...) Restart Chrome and you should be back to normal.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Powered Descent posted:

Google put in a Chrome thing called DirectWrite which screws up the font rendering on some sites. To turn it off, go to chrome://flags/#disable-direct-write and select Enable to disable it. (Yeah...) Restart Chrome and you should be back to normal.

Hugs and kisses. Works a charm.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Will a smartwatch (like the Moto 360) work with an Android tablet or just Android smartphones?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smeep posted:

Will a smartwatch (like the Moto 360) work with an Android tablet or just Android smartphones?

No reason it shouldn't work with a tablet. Although since some are expected to be used with a connection to the internet, if you have a wifi only tablet and are out of wifi access range on it, you may lose some functionality.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

No reason it shouldn't work with a tablet. Although since some are expected to be used with a connection to the internet, if you have a wifi only tablet and are out of wifi access range on it, you may lose some functionality.

I pretty much just want to buy a watch and whatever-will-work to play around with/program. I'm an iPhone user but don't have any kind of tablet, so if I can get away with buying a tablet and not a phone I don't really need, that would be my preference. WiFi only would actually be preferable as well. Thanks.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Sure is, our local PD put out a bunch of FYIs on these sort of scams a few days ago. They should print MoneyPaks up with a list of common scams on them.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Cakefool posted:

They have terrible morals. Might be worth 2 minutes of your time to confirm she's okay though.

Oh she's okay. She's so shy and introverted she doesn't go outside at all, much less drive a car and get intoxicated.

The biggest tipoff was they called my parents instead of her mother. My parents are in their late 70s, live alone, and get calls every week of people trying to scam them of their retirement money.

I told my mom to have the scammer call me, posing as my father. I played along with his game until I told him I was Batman and I break anyone out out of jail if I wanted. The guy hung up immediately and never called back.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lord Ephraim posted:

Oh she's okay. She's so shy and introverted she doesn't go outside at all, much less drive a car and get intoxicated.

The biggest tipoff was they called my parents instead of her mother. My parents are in their late 70s, live alone, and get calls every week of people trying to scam them of their retirement money.

I told my mom to have the scammer call me, posing as my father. I played along with his game until I told him I was Batman and I break anyone out out of jail if I wanted. The guy hung up immediately and never called back.

I wonder if you could have gotten some kind of info out of him, like account numbers to send the money to or something, and then had him blacklisted somehow or visited by the police.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A superstitious and cowardly lot indeed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

tuyop posted:

I wonder if you could have gotten some kind of info out of him, like account numbers to send the money to or something, and then had him blacklisted somehow or visited by the police.

"Some guy phoned you? Yeah, we'll get right on that"

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Some cars have small black panels on the hood, just over the lights.

What are these called, and what are they for? Google returns "front end bra" but it's not that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Those are speed panels, they make the car go faster.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
They are supposedly bug deflectors, though I don't know if they are actually effective.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Is it safe to put floating candles in a pool with chlorine? The candles are not resting anything, just float by themselves. This isn't a swimming pool but just a backyard fountain pool. Just want to make sure we don't blow it up or have fumes kill a bunch of party guests.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
No, an open flame near water isn't going to turn hypochlorous ions into chlorine gas and kill your party guests. Neither would melted wax.

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cakefool posted:

"Some guy phoned you? Yeah, we'll get right on that"

Do you think that scamming people over the phone is somehow not a crime?