Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Policenaut posted:

What's kind of why I loved Metal Gear Rising, because that game's approach to plot is like 9/10ths anime power worship set to heavy metal and it doesn't waste a whole lot of time on the specifics. Those specifics are still there, as the game has an absolutely ridiculous amount of codec calls you can hear, but generally the cutscenes revolved around Raiden loving people up and doing cool ninja stuff.

I hosed up and missed all the non-mandatory codecs until I beat the game and was going through my unlocked abilities, concept art, and all that when I stumbled across the codecs section that apparently has hours of chatter I skipped :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The only bad part of Bayonetta's story, in my opinion, is that a couple cutscenes go on for way too long. In particular, the cutscene before Father Balder almost seems like it'll never loving end. Besides that I found it to be ridiculous and great and funny.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The worst part is that roughly half the cutscenes are very entertaining so you never quite know whether you should skip a cutscene the first time through.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

darkhand posted:

Haha I meant not offense. Platinum writes funny and fun games, that's the beauty of them. Game-stories are so stupid and are constantly shoved in your face. Plat games are a breathe of fresh air, you can have fun actually playing a game, the stories are there to have fun with, but they don't hold much significance. You won't need to know Bayonetta 1's story to have fun in 2.

I wouldn't be so sure after Wonderful 101, that was a really good story.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait, somebody earlier said you can get Bayonetta 1"at a discount" if you buy Bayonetta 2 digitally? That discount is 100% right?

For NA, yeah. For PAL-land, maybe not, that's still unclear.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Jsor posted:

As far as I can tell, Limited Editions in general are a Europe Only thing now. Obviously I'm exaggerating, but I've been bitter ever since I had to import Sonic Generations CE from Europe. (Only time I've done that, though I'd probably consider that for a Zelda CE with something more substantial than a scarf)

I was thinking about that Sonic Generations CE when I made that post, but it seems only the Nichest of Niche games get LEs or CEs anymore, failing that a first run edition (ToX2, Danganronpa 1&2, Persona Q and P4A2 are what come to mind this year.) Otherwise only the most mainstream of mainstream games (read: Call of Duty) get them, middle ground stuff and Nintendo games seem to get shafted.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have a refurb Wii U coming my way Monday. I'm sort of scoffing at Wii U game prices due to a couple years of just playing Steam and forgetting that Nintendo hardly ever drops prices.

What are some pro tips for good places to buy Wii U games on the cheap? Is there such a thing? Some quick checking seems like maybe I can save 5 bucks over Amazon on ebay but that's about it.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 5, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Other people with actual WiiU's can help you better, I'm in almost the same camp as you. I posted earlier that I had already ordered my Wii U - what I meant is that I had decided to purchase it. I just went to check out tonight as I'm finally home from work and I get a message that the Wii U has "insufficient stock."

Really, really hoping they get more in soon.

But check out this sexy sale - http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers Each week is different titles, and we're talking good size discounts. Mario 3d world for $40 is one i'll jump on the second I get the system; Donkey Kong Country Tropical Returns looks to get a price cut in a few weeks too.

Also, WalMart had some hella cheap prices for preowned games online, but I can't vouch for their quality. http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/super-mario-video-games?relm_ref=700

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 5, 2014

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Light Gun Man posted:

What are some pro tips for good places to buy Wii U games on the cheap?

I just keep an eye on this thread.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can only download games to the console I own? WHAT THE gently caress? (is games poster; cries)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I can only download games to the console I own? WHAT THE gently caress? (is games poster; cries)

Are you just trolling or what? Like, what exactly are you defending?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just keep an eye on this thread.

But also keep an eye in this thread. I feel like this one updates Wii U deals more often and more thoroughly than the games discount thread.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I picked up the on sale smb3 for the first time since gradeschool and the early days of the snes. Totally forgot how much it owns. Hope some more mario games go on sale because I'm loving each and every one

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

darkhand posted:

It's a Platinum game so the story is completely ignorable. Bayonetta 1 is seriously Top Tier action gaming though, so definitely pick it up; just not for PS3, it has massive framerate issues and becomes practically unplayable in some parts.

Incorrect. I'm playing it on ps3, it's as playable as all platinum games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I played it on PS3 too and thought it was fine. They patched it and apparently improved a lot of the issues (I never played it pre-patch though so I dunno how bad it was)

I guess it's kind of irrelevant with the Wii U version coming out though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Fuuuuck. Super Mario 3D world is really good, yeah? And it's not likely to ever get cheaper than $40 in my lifetime...maaaan.

I shouldn't spend money on games. I shouldn't spend money on games. I shouldn't spend oh hey E-shop how'd you get opened?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

noirstronaut posted:

I was thinking the USB port would allow it to have more versatility and stay in place easier. I'll just buy this poo poo though.

Or you can just turn the screen off in the home menu and save twelve dollars

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fuuuuck. Super Mario 3D world is really good, yeah? And it's not likely to ever get cheaper than $40 in my lifetime...maaaan.

I shouldn't spend money on games. I shouldn't spend money on games. I shouldn't spend oh hey E-shop how'd you get opened?

Yeah this was me yesterday. It is really really good though and I do not regret spending 40 bucks on it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The only reason Nintendo doesn't have all my money is because they don't accept AMEX and I didn't purchase any more eshop cards.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Any tips for aiming the bow in Wind Waker HD using the pro controller? It takes me into first person, which would be fine, except there is literally zero feedback about where the arrow went after I shot it. There's no reticule to know where it's going to go, and I can't actually SEE the arrow after I shoot it, so I can't adjust my next shot based on the previous one. I have to keep flinging arrows randomly until I hit the target. It's REALLY annoying.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Going into first person doesn't mean you're aiming, you have still have to actually hold down the button to enter aim-mode. Seems kind of unnecessary, though, since it's not like holding down the button makes it go further.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 5, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not sure what you mean not being able to see where they go, I thought there a clear white trail. If you don't mind using the gamepad its gyro aiming is excellent.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The reticle is the tip of your arrow in your bow, and the feedback is watching the arrow's streak and it bounce off whatever you hit with a gigantic spark. Its pretty straightforward.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Any tips for aiming the bow in Wind Waker HD using the pro controller? It takes me into first person, which would be fine, except there is literally zero feedback about where the arrow went after I shot it. There's no reticule to know where it's going to go, and I can't actually SEE the arrow after I shoot it, so I can't adjust my next shot based on the previous one. I have to keep flinging arrows randomly until I hit the target. It's REALLY annoying.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Going into first person doesn't mean you're aiming, you have still have to actually hold down the button to enter aim-mode. Seems kind of unnecessary, though, since it's not like holding down the button makes it go further.

That's how it always worked since OOT though. Tapping the bow button pulls out the bow unloaded (it's harder to aim since the arrow is the best reference for aiming, but you can do it fine if you've memorized where the spot is relative to the bow) and holding it down loads an arrow and pulls it back. It's always been something you've had to eyeball, aside from the wii games which had a crosshair out of necessity.

I remember aiming unloaded and firing by tapping the button was always easiest with the slingshot in OOT as it would hit whatever was at the center of the unloaded rubber band.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

homeless snail posted:

The reticle is the tip of your arrow in your bow, and the feedback is watching the arrow's streak and it bounce off whatever you hit with a gigantic spark. Its pretty straightforward.

Yeah but there's two ways to shoot arrows while in first person. If you hit x once, it brings you into first person mode. If you hit x again, it shoots the arrow but you can't where it goes because your hands block it. If you HOLD x, then your hands change position slightly, and the arrow point comes into view, and the tip of the arrow acts as a reticule, plus you can actually see where the arrows go.

I was accidentally blind-firing because I didn't realize that holding down x would make my first person viewpoint change into aim mode. I assumed that first person WAS aim mode.

Zonekeeper posted:

That's how it always worked since OOT though. Tapping the bow button pulls out the bow unloaded (it's harder to aim since the arrow is the best reference for aiming, but you can do it fine if you've memorized where the spot is relative to the bow) and holding it down loads an arrow and pulls it back. It's always been something you've had to eyeball, aside from the wii games which had a crosshair out of necessity.

I remember aiming unloaded and firing by tapping the button was always easiest with the slingshot in OOT as it would hit whatever was at the center of the unloaded rubber band.

I guess my question is "Why does first person blind-fire exist?" This isn't a game where you can control how far back you pull the arrow. Either way, it's binary.

Edit: Oh, it's so you can aim without committing to firing an arrow and wasting one if you decide not to shoot it. I'm good at answering my own stupid questions.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 5, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Finally got around to watching the Bayonetta 2 Direct and holy poo poo, I could not be more hyped for this game.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Policenaut posted:

but generally the cutscenes revolved around Raiden loving people up and doing cool ninja stuff.

Or sneaking into Mexico in a sombrero and poncho. Also, cool ninja stuff.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any rumors concerning or plans for a new Mario Tennis or Golf on Wii U? Nintendo doesn't seem to be pushing the sports titles much, but I love all of them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There was a Mario Golf on 3DS released in May, and a Tennis game released a year or two ago. It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Chevalier Cat posted:

Are there any rumors concerning or plans for a new Mario Tennis or Golf on Wii U? Nintendo doesn't seem to be pushing the sports titles much, but I love all of them.

It's not the first time I've beat this horse, but Mario Strikers U.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

It's not the first time I've beat this horse, but Mario Strikers U.

That and Mario Super Sluggers U are the other two sports titles that I'd really like to see.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Give me Mario Hockey U

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aurora posted:

Give me Mario Hockey U

It'll never happen, sadly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The second Strikers game felt way more like a hockey game than a soccer game, I thought.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

whaley posted:

Or you can just turn the screen off in the home menu and save twelve dollars

If my gamepad is charging, it's in its stand and I'm more than likely using my Pro Controller to turn in the Wii U anyway. Next you'll tell me to get up and walk to the TV to turn down the volume. Yeah right.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

It'll never happen, sadly.

gently caress Corey Perry Jr. :mad:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Aurora posted:

gently caress Corey Perry Jr. :mad:

Why, does he cry a lot? I hear hockey players cry a lot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Scholtz posted:

Why, does he cry a lot? I hear hockey players cry a lot.

Sorry, that's an SAS meme if you're not in the know. Perry is a hockey player who is very good, he won the MVP once and he plays for my favorite team.

I agree that the 2nd strikers game plays very much like a hockey game. Its also extremely fun.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Austrian mook posted:

I agree that the 2nd strikers game plays very much like a hockey game
Ah, I guess that's why I didn't like it then.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Aurora posted:

Give me Mario Hockey U

This must be pretty close?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-QdEpbzQs

Or Sports mix on the wii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
While the Mario games are on sale I'd like to plug NSMBU. It came with my Wii U when I bought it and my girlfriend and I have a blast playing it together. Throw in a bottle of wine or some beers and it's even better. We're holding off on playing 3D World until we finish this game, but we are having so much fun. I've seen NSMBU get some flak, mostly due to the "New" line of games being samey, but we haven't played a 2D Mario game since the SNES... If you're in a similar situation, play this game!

• Locked thread